Cleaning up a Start Up Menue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a Start Up Menue

PDogSniper
12-27-2005, 23:57
I checked my Start Up menue and found that I have 69 processes running in the background....;P None of these looked vaguely familiar so my question is how do I clean it up with out botching something...?

I know I have a few things I want there but that many...?

IndyGunFreak
12-28-2005, 01:56
69?!?! Wow.. It might be time for a format.

With that much running in the background, your machine must be crawling(at least compared to how it could run)..

I'd probably just format it and be done with it.

IGF

Toyman
12-28-2005, 06:16
There's probably nothing YOU can do. If you reference the "Start Up Menu" and then reference "69 processes running", you obviously don't know enough about what you're doing to accurately and safely remove extra processes from starting up. Also, many of them are probably spyware and viri.

What anti-spyware software are you using?

What anti-virus software are you using and when was it last updated?

What version of Windows are you using and when was it last fully updated?

Gmountain
12-28-2005, 06:24
Go to run, type in msconfig, go to start up, and uncheck the runs you don't want to start. Once you see what they do, you can delete them if you want.

Furant
12-28-2005, 07:09
I'm with toyman. Take it to someone who can help you backup your data and profiles, reformat, install a new OS and set you up with some spyware and virus protection.

If you take gmountain's advice, just be sure you have a good system backup available.

Toyman
12-28-2005, 07:14
I don't think he needs a new OS installed, it probably just needs cleaned. Some of the brand name computers install a ton of crap as the base installation. Things like the office fast find, support programs, video and sound card utilities, aol/msn, and all kinds of stuff like that are often started by default.

However, disabling the wrong item, such as sound card, and stuff can be undesirable. You really need to know what you're doing.

PDogSniper
12-28-2005, 07:25
Originally posted by Gmountain
Go to run, type in msconfig, go to start up, and uncheck the runs you don't want to start. Once you see what they do, you can delete them if you want.

Thanks Gm, I've been in there before and I've only spotted a few items that I know I can safely remove. Doing that I eliminated 8 processes.

Opening Task Manager and looking at that, none of the discriptions that are running are anywhere near recognizable to me and I can't click on a app to get a discription of what it's function is...

I know one of my issues is that my wife is a Wallpaper/Screensaver freak and has a need to download any and every of the cool programs she sees...;Q I've b!+c#ed at her about this but is seems to be an addiction to her...;Q You should see my desktop...

For Spyware I'm running Spyware Doctor and SpyBlocs. I think I'm going to download SpyBots next. I'm running XP home and running Norton Internet Security 2006 which is updated and system run weekly. And my windows updates come in automatically and I update as soon as they come in....

What are those selections under services?

If Nortons anti-spyware is working for me I don't see it

Furant
12-28-2005, 07:42
The services are things that startup with the system as defined in the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services dialog. Many, if not most of them, are part of the Windows OS and you really need to know how they're used to know if you can switch them to either manual startup or disable them. If you're interested do a Google search on each service name and you can find a wealth of information. Just be aware that the information you find on the internet is worth what you pay for it (yes, even my advice).

Many of the other services are installed as by-products of applications that you (or your wife) install.

My brother's in the same boat as you, but I must say that I am very thankful that my wife doesn't monkey around with downloading and installing programs. Otherwise, I would have to get XP Pro and set her up as a very resticted user. ;N (or just have my system boot to Linux every time to really confound her).

Joey

DeadMansLife
12-28-2005, 19:35
Originally posted by Gmountain

Bad idea.

Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

Read here. (http://web.archive.org/web/20041128011231/www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm)

Toyman
12-29-2005, 05:11
Originally posted by PDogSniper
...I know one of my issues is that my wife is a Wallpaper/Screensaver freak and has a need to download any and every of the cool programs she sees...;Q I've b!+c#ed at her about this but is seems to be an addiction to her...;Q You should see my desktop...

Yeah, you're probably infected with Viri, spyware, adware, and trojans if she does that.

Get Process Explorer from SysInternals.com, it will give you some good descriptions of things running: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

AutRuns is also good: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html