Newbie wanting to try.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to try....

jhun
12-28-2005, 02:25
Hi Sirs,

I am a newbie wanting to try shooting as a hobby. Will I be accommodated here if my purpose is to look for advice & meet new buddies?

Still undecided what to buy, but I am leaning towards a Glock (biglang bumaba kasi...sa buy and sell plus nga merong akong nakita brand new for 30k). A couple of people are saying that before I get one, I must attend seminars or kung ano man yun, just to be familiar with the responsibility of having one. Bali ang analogy nila dito is bago ka bumili ng auto dapat marunong or matutu kang magmaneho.

tama ba tong napuntahan ko?

Thanks in advance!

bokbok_05
12-28-2005, 03:11
Welcome to BoG!!!;F . Of course...tama ang napuntahan mo. Newbie din ako and I will let the veteran/seasoned shooters to give you pointers and advices. Goodluck!:)

toxic
12-28-2005, 03:29
;F to BOG's , you've come to the right place , maraming experts, masters and very good advisers dito(im not one of them ,i consider myself as a newbie parin)before you post any question or answer any question in a thread, Read the STICKY first just to be aware of the do's and the donts and do a forum search also para di paulit ulit mga questions from newbies like us.;f
Try to browse here http://glocktalk.gunserver.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=80&x=11&y=13 again;F you'll learn a lot here.

Django
12-28-2005, 04:33
;F Welcome Jhun;F

If you have the time, browse thru the previous threads of the BOGs. You'll find it's a treasure trove of info on shooting, FA's and what not which can help.:)

Kiddo
12-28-2005, 04:55
;F to BOG! Most guys here shoot 1911s either in 40cal std, or open. Glock is a good choice, especially for self defense, or production div. If you choose Glock, I suggest 9mm since ammo is cheaper and you wont have the lead problems with .40 Glocks. If you choose to shoot IPSC style, there are a lot of masters in the game here. Just browse around and enjoy! ;f

batangueno
12-28-2005, 05:02
Know and follow the 4 Rules of Gun Safety (http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html), watch shooting competitions, practice and practice, and you'll be fine. :)

;F

Pepe308
12-28-2005, 06:26
;F sir!!! I leave the advise and suggestions to the experts around here, enjoy!!!

mikey177
12-28-2005, 06:45
Originally posted by jhun
A couple of people are saying that before I get one, I must attend seminars or kung ano man yun, just to be familiar with the responsibility of having one.

Aside from attending seminars and reading up on gun safety and proper gun handling, you should also try getting the feel of different makes and models of firearms, both pistols and revolvers. See which type/model fits your hand the best and which you are most comfortable handling. Do lots of research before you buy, and feel free to ask questions IF you have already searched through the forums and still not found the information you need. Happy reading :)

vega
12-28-2005, 08:37
Hi jhun,
Welcome to the forum!
They must have meant Basic Handgun Safety Seminar
which is one of the requirements in owning any FA.

And mura na pala ng Glock dyan, pero don't get it because of the
price. Try handling different FAs. Anyway if you buy what you decide now, everyone knows that it will not stop there. You just got to have one of everything, or two.

Goodluck with your choice.

vega

casmot
12-28-2005, 11:46
Originally posted by bokbok_05
...I will let the veteran/seasoned shooters to give you pointers and advices. Goodluck!:)

Originally posted by toxic
...you've come to the right place , maraming experts, masters and very good advisers dito

Originally posted by Pepe308
;F sir!!! I leave the advise and suggestions to the experts around here, enjoy!!!
ok, ok... nandito na ako, the resident EXPERT!~2 Ask away! What do you want to know, jhun? Love life? Sex? Anything? Just ask and I'll PM those BoGs who know the answer. ;f ;f ;f Kidding aside, ;F to BoGs.

Originally posted by Kiddo
Most guys here shoot 1911s either in 40cal std, or open.
Hindi naman. Only those who were called to the dark side shoots an open gun. A number of BoGs still competes using a Glock or other production guns.

jerrytrini
12-29-2005, 12:45
Welcome to the Forum. Ask away and most of us if not all will respond right away.

Eye Cutter
12-29-2005, 18:18
if its going to be a your only pistol, a glock 17 will be an excellent choice for competition and for self-defense purposes.

but if you plan to change later, huwag ka na mag glock, save your money and go straight to a 1911 platform in .40 cal.

antediluvianist
12-30-2005, 02:13
Welcome, Jhun.

Pare, are you aware that the Glock does not have an external safety? In other words, you must have very good discipline in where you put your finger (sexy, no?) and when (when she's breathing heavily.) Seriously, for a newbie this no-external-safety and fairly-light-short-pull-Glock-trigger could be a problem.

In fact, as a newbie, you might want to get a gun with a safety first. The 1911 .40 or .45 will be fine for that, as others have recomended.

jhun
12-30-2005, 05:25
Thank you all for your warm welcome & I hope to see you all when the time comes!!

The truth is I haven’t made up my mind yet on what to get (although I am leaning more on G26)…my objective is to have a new hobby & for home defense na rin syempre…nothing serious like joining a competition or something, that is why I choose 9mm as the caliber at hinde 45…pero malay natin matuwa ako ng husto…..at tsaka sub kasi maliit lang kamay ko.

Yesterday, after office, I fired my first 50 rounds using the CZ75 house gun of Jethros’ range @ MCS. Nagalay right shoulder ko…hehehe.
According to the range officer, the stance should be left leg forward; right leg backward (if you’re right handed) & the left arm should be slightly higher than your right arm. Before when my friend was still here (he is now in Canada), I used to dry fire his 1911 & he told me that the proper stance was both leg should be spread apart approximately shoulders width and to slightly lean forward…I am guessing both stance are correct?? One more thing I have notice is that since pasmado ako..yung dulo nung baril nanginginig…..meron kayang remedyo yun?

Thanks again!!

BTW…saying naka filter sa work ko tong website (we are using websence) ….kung hinde sana mas madalas akong makakapasyal dito.

batangueno
12-30-2005, 05:57
Try to acces GlockTalk through www.aritah.com , you might get through your office filter.

vega
12-30-2005, 10:53
If you're planning to compete in the future G26 is not the way to go. Get either compacts or full-size. G26, G19 and G17 all have the same grip diameter, mas maliit lang ang lenght ng G26. If you can grip a 26, you can grip all Glocks except 45s and 10s.

Happy New Year to all!

vega

theTactician
12-30-2005, 11:42
welcome.:-)
if you choose a glock, then you've made a wise choice. no disrespect to 1911 fans but for me, even though im also a 1911 fan myself and an HK fan as well, for me, in my opinion, glocks are the best.

kamelot
12-30-2005, 18:13
)…my objective is to have a new hobby & for home defense na rin syempre…nothing serious like joining a competition or something, that is why I choose 9mm as the caliber at hinde 45…pero malay natin matuwa ako ng husto…..at tsaka sub kasi maliit lang kamay ko.

the stance should be left leg forward; right leg backward (if you’re right handed) & the left arm should be slightly higher than your right arm. Before when my friend was still here (he is now in Canada), I used to dry fire his 1911 & he told me that the proper stance was both leg should be spread apart approximately shoulders width and to slightly lean forward…I am guessing both stance are correct?? One more thing I have notice is that since pasmado ako..yung dulo nung baril nanginginig…..meron kayang remedyo yun?

Thanks again!!

The books say that the 9mm bullet travels faster(greater velocity) than the 45 cal bullet. As such, it can easily penetrate walls as compared to the .45 cal. You should consider this fact when you use the 9mm for home defense.

The MCS guy must be talking about the Weaver stance. Most of the guys I see (as I was trained since 1982) use the Isosceles stance and variants thereof (like your Canadian based friend). I believe the latter is more "action" friendly.:)

toxic
12-31-2005, 01:12
BTW…saying naka filter sa work ko tong website (we are using websence) ….kung hinde sana mas madalas akong makakapasyal dito. [/B]

nakawebsence din ako try this:
http://hk54.gunserver.com/register.php?action=signup
http://hk54.gunserver.com/forums/

jhun
01-03-2006, 11:46
Thanks! nakalusot na ko sa filter using yung hk54

Putok-Glock
01-04-2006, 05:04
Welcome and Happy Safe Shooting, jhun!

Try other types of pistols. Glock is not for every one like the venerable 1911, HK, Sig, Beretta, Revolvers, etc...But base your trials on what you intend to use it for.

Kung nanginginig yung baril, maybe you are over gripping or too tense. Try to hold it in a relaxed manner, just enough effort so it wont fall off your hand.

Hey, Im no expert but trying hard to be one so I can be of help:)

jhun
01-12-2006, 21:59
Hi BOGs,

Finally the time has come!!
Please help me decide so I can get one before the gun show finishes.

Some are suggesting G17 or G19 and some are suggesting go 1911.

Basically its down to:
1. G19 (as per vega, don’t go for 26..either full or compact for competition ….since I will not cc, G26 is out!)

2. Norinco. Does it really have to be in 40 or 45 cal high caps? Why not 9mm (meron ba nun?)

3. Steyr. Any idea about the aftermarket parts? And na resolved na ba yung extractor issue ba yun sa bagong MA1?

And here’s what I have so far.
G19
Pros: proven tract record;
Good out of the box
lots of aftermarket parts
can be use for competition.?

Cons: more expensive than Norinco
Does not like lead reloads hence, more expensive ammo.

Norinco
Pros: lots of aftermarket parts
Swallows even lead reloads, hence cheaper ammo.
Cheaper
Highly customizable (if I fell in love with the game & decide to compete later.)
Sturdy steel material

Cons: I don’t have enough info about tract record, but there are a lot of gun smiths out there.
It might be too big for my hands.
A lot of gunsmithing work to be done.
A lot of parts need to be replaced.

Thanks again!!

isuzu
01-12-2006, 22:27
You've come to the right place, Jhun. Welcome! ;F ;Y ^1 ;V ;c

jasonub
01-12-2006, 23:11
go straight to an armscor 1911 in 40 caliber. that way once you have the money you can fix it till it becomes what you want.

the norincos etc i think dont have double stack mags thus is almost useless in competitions. and if they have not changed 45 cal pa rin no 40 cal.

glock 19 is ok for competitions but still mag capacity is not maximized.
go for the g 17 if you want a glock.

if budget is no problem go straight to deenoh for a sti edge.

or if a little lower budget buy a para in 40 cal

para mura and ready for competition and defense go for the armscor 1911 in 40 cal.

good luck

Eye Cutter
01-12-2006, 23:49
+1

get the affordable and highly customizable Armscor 1911 in .40cal
if you have extra cash to spend, get a Para-Ord P16-40,
more cash, SPS hi cap
money is not a problem, go get an STI Edge

or stick with the glock 17

PMMA97
01-13-2006, 02:11
Some of the gurus have spoken. Take their advice. I was once a newbie like you and I chose the CZ75B 9mm :)

MR_BIG
01-13-2006, 08:35
my first gun was a browning hi-power in 9mm, sold it, had a colt mk4, sold it also, now i my everyday carry is a glock30, btw, made a downpayment for glock 35 last weds, this will be my "range only gun", bottom line, shoot it before buying it.

Django
01-13-2006, 09:34
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
+1

get the affordable and highly customizable Armscor 1911 in .40cal
if you have extra cash to spend, get a Para-Ord P16-40,
more cash, SPS hi cap
money is not a problem, go get an STI Edge

or stick with the glock 17

+101

You'll buy a high cap sooner or later down the road.

vega
01-13-2006, 10:45
Originally posted by PMMA97
Some of the gurus have spoken. Take their advice. I was once a newbie like you and I chose the CZ75B 9mm :)
Aaahhh, the CZ, malapit na...in 40.

vega

jhun
01-14-2006, 20:52
Thanks for all of your suggestions! After considering all of it, I now have my first handgun.(for now?!) G19M. Sa pinas lang ba tong mariner na to?

I am going for a G17 but there was no stock. They only have G17C, G19M & G26 for 9mm.

I bough mine at Twin Pines cause I heard a lot of great things about them from you guys & my sales attendant was Jolly.

With this new gun come more questions:
ilang round para masabi ko na totally breaked in na to?

vega
01-14-2006, 22:45
Congrats on your purchase! That was a good decision choosing the M over the C. For your break-in process use factory load first. If you can hook up with BOG that will be better, they can give you lots of pointers for breaking in.

vega

casmot
01-14-2006, 22:48
With this new gun come more questions:
ilang round para masabi ko na totally breaked in na to?

Start with at least 200 rdns FMJ. Then test it with your carry ammo. If it shoots flawlessly with at least 50rdns of your preferred carry ammo then use that. But as they say, The more the merrier. ;I

BTW, I said at least because I prefer twice or trice the amount.

Eye Cutter
01-14-2006, 23:01
I read somewhere Ed Brown's recommendation on how to break in a new barrel for pistol and rifle. I think it was in American Handgunner magazine.

IIRC, you swab the barrel with dry patches after every 10 rds or so of your preffered ammo. Then repeat after every 50 rds-100 rds until the patches run through are clean.

I think the rationale here is to remove excess metal from the rifling to smoothen it out.

jhun
01-15-2006, 20:22
Originally posted by casmot
Start with at least 200 rdns FMJ. Then test it with your carry ammo. If it shoots flawlessly with at least 50rdns of your preferred carry ammo then use that. But as they say, The more the merrier. ;I

BTW, I said at least because I prefer twice or trice the amount.

Sir casmot,

ibig sabihin pala sir, bibili ako ng brand new ammo at least 200 pcs @ 21 pesos each. meron bang mas murang alternative dun? hehehe

BTW..san po pala mas ok magpa member sa MCS..sa Jethro or Armscor? san po mas maraming BOGS na tumatambay?

casmot
01-16-2006, 01:33
Sir casmot,

ibig sabihin pala sir, bibili ako ng brand new ammo at least 200 pcs @ 21 pesos each. meron bang mas murang alternative dun? hehehe

BTW..san po pala mas ok magpa member sa MCS..sa Jethro or Armscor? san po mas maraming BOGS na tumatambay?

Go to Armscor buy the range ammo and use it. Its FMJ factory load ammo that has blemishes on the brass. Oh, btw before you use any ammo gauge it first.

st. matthew
01-16-2006, 03:31
congrats jhun sa g19 mo,first love ko rin yan,hindi lang yan pang pamilya pang isports pa!:)
i just luv saying that line hehehe.
hapi nyu year pala sa lahat:)

jhun
01-16-2006, 16:55
Thanks for all of your replies!

humabol ako sa mega & I joined Armscor for 2k & bought 100 rounds of FMJ 124 grain @14+ (Twin Pines factory loads ata yun) each gun show price in preparation for the release of my G19. meron pang bonus ...meron akong nakilalang taga BJMP sa munti at nag invite agad pumutok dun sa range sa munti...heheh mababait naman pala mga shooter eh!

Eye Cutter
swab the barrel with dry patches Will definitely do this

jerrytrini
01-16-2006, 21:51
Just to put in my 2 pesos, we are issued 115 gr FMJ for quals only. I recommend these ammo esp for big matches where reputation is at stake (as if I have one).