Any New Improved Tire Inflators on the Market [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any New Improved Tire Inflators on the Market

crater
12-28-2005, 05:24
I have one tire (like new) that leaks air to the point of about 6 lbs of pressure a month. The local dealer cannot find the leak. I know that using the old type foam inflator's were some what dangerous to use and you must tell the person changing your tire that you have used it in the past, and they charge you extra for removing the tire.

I was wondering if there was any new type of product out there that would seal the leak (whereever the heck it is) that would not be considered dangerous and would work. It's getting cold out there and I hate checking tire pressure in the dead of winter. (not to mention the .50 - .75 fee for using AIR....

Thanks in advance

Sharp Phil
12-28-2005, 05:26
In your situation I would simply bite the bullet and replace the tire.

streeter69
12-28-2005, 06:54
I will bet that they did not use bead sealer on the rim.

Catbird
12-28-2005, 07:15
Finding a slow leak can take time and can be troublesome, I know.

I don't have any idea what abilities or tools you have, but this is what I would do:
I'd take the tire/wheel off the car and examine it VERY carefully under a strong light. I've had srews and nails that were almost invisible to the naked eye cause a slow leak. Also check the valve stem core to make sure it's snug. I would suggest having a spray bottle of soapy water handy to spray on any suspicious areas, i.e., the valve stem, around the bead on both sides, etc. and watch for bubbles. If nothing shows up with that, I would try to completely submerge the tire/wheel in water and watch for any VERY slight bubbling. If that fails, I would take the tire to the dealer and have them break it down and remount it properly.

My last resort would be to purchase a replacement tire.

Could it be possible that you have a bent rim?

Bill D
12-30-2005, 16:05
Replace the valve stem components and keep a cap on it. That solved my problem.

epsylum
12-31-2005, 11:02
Originally posted by Catbird
Finding a slow leak can take time and can be troublesome, I know.

I don't have any idea what abilities or tools you have, but this is what I would do:
I'd take the tire/wheel off the car and examine it VERY carefully under a strong light. I've had srews and nails that were almost invisible to the naked eye cause a slow leak. Also check the valve stem core to make sure it's snug. I would suggest having a spray bottle of soapy water handy to spray on any suspicious areas, i.e., the valve stem, around the bead on both sides, etc. and watch for bubbles. If nothing shows up with that, I would try to completely submerge the tire/wheel in water and watch for any VERY slight bubbling. If that fails, I would take the tire to the dealer and have them break it down and remount it properly.

My last resort would be to purchase a replacement tire.

Could it be possible that you have a bent rim?

+1

I used to work at Discount Tire Co. and actually liked fixing flats. That is pretty much the routine. Spray EVERYTHING (tread, sidewall, valve stem, bead) with soapy water (a drop of dish soap in a windex bottle then fill with water.), and watch for bubbles. I have had ones that had to sit for 15 minutes before the bubbles were noticible. I that doesn't work, then the dunk tank (submerege in water). Some are just a PITA to find.

Good luck.