Shooting on one's property [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on one's property

mikey177
12-28-2005, 05:39
Does anybody know if it's legal to discharge a firearm on one's own property.

Let's say you live on a vast tract of land in the province, not really a farm but something with less than a hectare of lot area, and which is relatively far from the city proper. Can you legally fire a gun here, or do your neighbors have the right to lodge a complaint against you for disturbing the peace, alarm and scandal, or some other violation?

P.S.

It wasn't me doing the firing. It was my neighbor, and he was using a high-powered rifle in full-auto mode. He fired off about 10 to 15 rounds before hurriedly putting the rifle back into the trunk of his car. I think he used a mound of sand (they use the property to store concrete aggregates) as a backstop.

isuzu
12-28-2005, 06:21
Nope! it's illegal to discharge a firearm even if it's in your own property. FED specifically states that you only could discharge your firearms in a LICENSED firing range that has obviously passed their safety inspection.

Discharging your firearm inside the confines of your residence for self-defense is another case.

Eye Cutter
12-28-2005, 06:21
that is illegal. talk to them to inform you if ever they will shoot their firearms again para walang samaan ng loob, that is if its ok with you, otherwise, diplomasya can do miracles... alam mo naman sa probinsiya, ang pakikisama can go a long way...

vega
12-28-2005, 07:40
Try shooting with them.;)

vega

Django
12-28-2005, 08:34
Originally posted by isuzu
Nope! it's illegal to discharge a firearm even if it's in your own property. FED specifically states that you only could discharge your firearms in a LICENSED firing range that has obviously passed their safety inspection.

Ditto. You can lodge a complaint with the local LEOs if you want.

PMMA97
12-28-2005, 15:31
Requirement for Target Range Aquisition

* Not less than 1,000 meters from any main road.
* Safe distance from the nearest residential houses.
* Nuisance to the neighborhood.
* Construction of Pit - 8 ft in depth, 5 ft in with, length must be the same with that of the target wall (High Powered Only)
* Backstop
o Hill
o Mountain
o Artificial made o concrete (sand, gravel, cement and wood) height (not less that 5 ft) thickness (not less that 2 ft)
* Target Wall
o
Made o concrete (sand, gravel, cement and wood)
o Height (not less that 5 ft)
o Thickness (not less that 2 ft)
o Safety measures and rules posted in conspicuous place
o Qualified range officers
o In front of hill or mountain, if possible

PMMA97
12-28-2005, 15:34
You could befriend your neighbor and try to know him better while educating him on some of the legalities. Baka naman kaya nyang magpatayo ng licensed range mas maganda ang kalalabasan. :)

mikey177
12-28-2005, 16:35
Actually, I use the term neighbor in the loose sense of the word. Even if his lot and mine are adjacent, he (the owner) doesn't live there, and there's only a small hut on his property where his caretaker stays. His lot is mostly vacant space in front and fishponds at the back.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll try the diplomatic approach on him first :)

isuzu
12-28-2005, 19:23
Invite him to lunch on your property. Seems that you have a cool place.

theTactician
12-30-2005, 10:48
its illegal man. no kidding. dont try it. if you want to discharge a gun go to the range. its not worth it firing in your backyard and accidentally hitting a neighbor or worse, your kids, family...there's no re-start once you accidentally shoot somebody. could be fatal. its always game-over.
safety is always a priority.
go to the range. happy shooting

toxic
12-31-2005, 00:29
Illegal talaga yan Sir, you can file a complain to the local police kung napeperwisyo kayo, pero sabi nga ng nakararami pwede namang daanin sa diplomasya pagsabihan lang ng konti ,kung ayaw pa rin maglubay magpaputok ka din ;f
Ingat lang Sir baka Lespu yan , May Connection o Nice People Around.
Yan ang hindi Nice.

toxic
12-31-2005, 00:29
Opps double Tap,my Bad..Sorry

mikey177
12-31-2005, 05:20
Originally posted by theTactician
its illegal man. no kidding. dont try it. if you want to discharge a gun go to the range. its not worth it firing in your backyard and accidentally hitting a neighbor or worse, your kids, family...there's no re-start once you accidentally shoot somebody. could be fatal. its always game-over.
safety is always a priority.
go to the range. happy shooting

Tactician,

Relax, dude. As I stated in my first post, it wasn't me who was doing the shooting, it was my neighbor :)

theTactician
12-31-2005, 19:15
Originally posted by mikey177
Tactician,

Relax, dude. As I stated in my first post, it wasn't me who was doing the shooting, it was my neighbor :)

yeah, im cool man. just giving an advice. happy new year

Espada
12-31-2005, 21:47
Here in the south, its base on zoning, I live in open rural zoning, and once in a while I just rip a couple of mags, right now new-years eve, I just went thru a couple of mags.:cool:

mikey177
01-01-2006, 03:54
Originally posted by theTactician
yeah, im cool man. just giving an advice. happy new year

No problem :)

Honestly speaking, when all the fireworks were going off last night I secretly wished I was at a shooting range instead. Actually, it's far more quiet here in the province during new year's eve than in the big city. My dogs weren't even bothered by the few explosions they could hear in the distance.

P.S.

Happy new year, everybody. May our funds for practice and for acquiring new shooting equipment increase ;f

vic2_187
01-01-2006, 07:01
america and the philippines are two different worlds.....

in america, everything is illegal, thats how it seems anyway...

if your property is like an "open range", shoot all you want...

when i was a kid, we used to hunt on a private farm in america, my dad's friend owned one hundred acres of land... so his american friend used a shot gun, and my dad used an m14 or a mini 14... was kinda fun...

here in the philippines, there seems to be a fine line between legal and illegal... still depends on who you know, and how much money you have....

if your living in the province, no body really cares if some one shoots off a few rounds every now and then, lets just hope they are using a good back stop or shooting into the dirt....

if you are big time in your province and have lots of land, no one will care if you shoot on your property, just treat the cops out every now and then to some beers... heheheh...

Froggy_131
01-01-2006, 12:11
Originally posted by vic2_187
america and the philippines are two different worlds.....

in america, everything is illegal, thats how it seems anyway...

You seem to know a lot about the laws in the U.S.A.

here in the philippines, there seems to be a fine line between legal and illegal... still depends on who you know, and how much money you have....

if your living in the province, no body really cares if some one shoots off a few rounds every now and then, lets just hope they are using a good back stop or shooting into the dirt....

if you are big time in your province and have lots of land, no one will care if you shoot on your property, just treat the cops out every now and then to some beers... heheheh...
I'm sure you're all proud of this! ;z

isuzu
01-01-2006, 12:24
Originally posted by vic2_187

I wouldn't take any chances on what you've mentioned. Having lots of money won't GUARANTEE that the police won't arrest you for shooting guns in your property, which is illegal, unless you have a licensed firing range. I would rather go to a licensed firing range than risk losing my gun license. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Having lots of influence in the local police does not guarantee that you could do anything you want, either. The regional police can take action against you, as well as the NBI. And you will be in deep trouble if this happens.

darwin25
01-01-2006, 21:14
What about my rat hunting in the fish ponds? Everybody who has a .22 rifles, handguns and airguns in my hometown do this. No indiscriminate shooting done. Or our backyard plinking, nothing more than .22 magnum used, with lots of backstop used or downrange shooting at fishponds. We always make sure that there are no houses around. Learning how to shoot in our backyards taught by our own fathers and older brothers is a way and a fact of life where I grew up. And a .22 rifle, handgun or airgun is a daily tool that we use specially on our daily visit to fishponds. We always hear the crack of rimfires or airguns in our backyard by the hour and AFAIK, nobody has been unintentionally hit by a bullet. Heck, we even roam around the barrio with friends, each of us having our .22 rifles slinged in our shoulder. You wont hear anybody raising a howl over them. Everybody knows how to use their firearm responsibly. I bet there's a big difference in how people use guns. Those who learned to use firearms because its a daily tool and a way of life knows how to use them responsibly. Those who use them for show cannot be expected to have the same discipline.

Eye Cutter
01-01-2006, 21:19
+1!

I agree with Darwin 100%! All of these are just tools. Tools can be used to make or break things. Depende na yan sa end-user!

isuzu
01-01-2006, 22:21
I agree with you, Darwin. What I don't agree is what Mikey's "neighbor" did. Firing a burst from a high-powered rifle and hurriedly keeping it in the trunk of his car. There's something sinister in his actions.

mikey177
01-02-2006, 06:50
Originally posted by isuzu
I agree with you, Darwin. What I don't agree is what Mikey's "neighbor" did. Firing a burst from a high-powered rifle and hurriedly keeping it in the trunk of his car. There's something sinister in his actions.

Most definitely.

Traveling through Tarlac and Pangasinan, I often see farmers along the highway with air rifles, and my caretaker relates how they use them to hunt for birds to eat. There's no problem with that.

It's the showy, irresponsible gun owners that should be taught proper gun handling skills and shooting etiquette.

Allegra
01-02-2006, 07:14
dont attend weddings/baptisms in batangas , cavite or the boondocks of Laguna and Quezon
Some drunk celebrant will likely let loose some automatic gunfire from his m-14/16
In fact bida ka pagnaglabas ka ng glock fssg

Eye Cutter
01-02-2006, 07:24
and most likely, yung fssg na yun e galing sa amin! hahaha!

PMMA97
01-02-2006, 16:13
Originally posted by mikey177
Most definitely.

Traveling through Tarlac and Pangasinan, I often see farmers along the highway with air rifles, and my caretaker relates how they use them to hunt for birds to eat. There's no problem with that.

It's the showy, irresponsible gun owners that should be taught proper gun handling skills and shooting etiquette.

When I travel to the northern part of Zambales I often see "farmers" with their rifles and shotguns while riding "kuligligs". Sometimes passing through so called "checkpoints" of the PNP. These farmers often times close a part of the road just to make bilad the palay ;f Kapag minalas malas ka at hindi mo napansin ang palay malalaman mo ang kahalagahan ng ABS at pasensya ;g

Allegra
01-02-2006, 22:05
Originally posted by PMMA97
When I travel to the northern part of Zambales I often see "farmers" with their rifles and shotguns while riding "kuligligs". Sometimes passing through so called "checkpoints" of the PNP. These farmers often times close a part of the road just to make bilad the palay ;f Kapag minalas malas ka at hindi mo napansin ang palay malalaman mo ang kahalagahan ng ABS at pasensya ;g

hehe akala ko dati talagang pinapasagasa yung palay
I'd run over it sabay kaway sa farmer
Buti hindi ako binato

SMBeerDealer
01-02-2006, 22:14
Originally posted by Allegra

...In fact bida ka pagnaglabas ka ng glock fssg

Kontrabida ka naman if you bring out your STI/SPS/SV/Para etc. Colt lang daw ang maganda dun. ;f

PMMA97
01-03-2006, 05:03
Originally posted by Allegra
hehe akala ko dati talagang pinapasagasa yung palay
I'd run over it sabay kaway sa farmer
Buti hindi ako binato

;f Buti wala kang tinamaan na dos por dos na may mga de kuwatro na pako ;f Ewan ko ba kumbakit sa luwag ng mundo sa kalsada pa ibinibilad ;g