1 egg, lightly beaten
8 oz. canned diced tomatoes with juice
cup quick-cooking oats
Topping
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. yellow mustard

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish, shaped into a loaf, or place in a loaf pan. Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for one hour.

lethal tupperwa
12-29-2005, 09:11
and no jalapenos.

Keyhole
12-29-2005, 12:04
Nope. This is much more on the sweeter side of things, with the ketchup glaze and all.

Bill D
12-29-2005, 18:11
2 lbs. ground beef(I use chuck)
1 cup diced onions
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup A-1 sauce
1/4 cup Heinz 57
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
2 fresh eggs

Mix well by hand, fill a teflon coated meatloaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes at 325 or until internal temperature is 150. Serve with brown gravy.

For those in Atlanta, this is served at the USA Classic Diner on Indian Trail between I-85 and Lawrenceville Hwy. It's their #1 menu
item.

Edit- Another thing I like to do is hardboil some eggs, peel, and place length wise inside the loaf before baking. Tastes and looks good when serving.

Bill D
12-30-2005, 16:42
bump for edit

Remander
12-31-2005, 21:44
Sounds good. Now and then, especially in winter, comfort food like meatloaf is a must.

I like this Italian Stuffed Meatloaf from (gasp!) Rachel Ray's $40 a Day show.

It is good and cheesy and moist. The recipe is actually courtesy of Haunted Hamburger in Sedona, AZ, which she visited on the show. Use good quality parmesan.

Italian Stuffed Meatloaf

2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs (up to 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
8 slices cheddar
8 slices baked ham
8 slices bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs, garlic, onion, ketchup, Worcestershire. Mix well, gradually adding the milk (if it seems too moist, add bread crumbs until it is a consistency that will form a loaf without flattening. Spray a large baking or roasting pan with a non-stick spray and press the meatloaf out. Layer cheese slices and ham, covering the center line of the meatloaf, then close it together and tuck in the ends, forming a loaf which is oblong. Criss-cross the bacon strips to cover the loaf. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F.

Let rest 15 minutes, then cut and serve. Gravy is optional.

Trumpet
01-01-2006, 14:32
Originally posted by Remander

It is good and cheesy and moist . The recipe is actually courtesy of

Hey now, this is a "clean" forum ;)

The cooks I really miss when it comes to "comfort food" are the "Two Fat Ladies". They had some AWESOME recipes (every winter we make their Stilton Onion soup). I seem to remember a meatloaf recipe of theirs that involved a good amount of bacon. How can anything be wrong with bacon?

R

G-niner
01-01-2006, 20:24
It's that time of year, I'm copying all these recipes to my file and will most likely try all of them this winter. I'm recently retired and do most of the cooking and laundry around here while my wife (much younger than me) still goes to work daily.

On nice days I grab a few firearms and the spotting 'scope, and head to the firing range.

I set the alarm every night and carefully nudge her out of bed each morning. I get her car warmed up so she doesn't get cold while driving to work, I wouldn't want her to be late. I'm considerate like that.

01-05-2006, 02:07
Ok, now that I have stopped drooling on the keyboard, I have printed these recipes out and have told the wife we are having meatloaf

for a week ;f ;a

Keyhole
01-05-2006, 02:19
Cool. Regardless of which one you go with, try the ketchup based glaze on top. It's awsome!

01-05-2006, 02:20
Meatloaf Patties, Smashed Potatoes, and Pan Gravy
Rachael Ray - Food Network

1 1/3 pounds ground sirloin, 90 percent lean ground beef
1 slice white bread, spread with softened butter, then cut into small cubes
1/8 cup (a splash) milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend, or coarse salt and black pepper combined
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
1 medium onion, finely chopped, reserve 1/4 amount
2 pounds small red potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 scallions, chopped, whites and greens
1/2 cup milk
3-Condiment Pan Gravy:
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 medium onion, finely chopped, reserved from meatloaf mixture
2 tablespoons (a handful) all-purpose flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 rounded teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon steak sauce
Serving Suggestions:
Baby Carrots, recipe follows
Dressed Tossed Salad

Place meat in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center of the meat. Fill the well with the bread cubes and dampen them with a splash of milk. Pour 1 beaten egg over bread and add seasoning or salt and pepper, allspice, tomato paste and onion to the bowl.
Combine the meat, bread and grill seasoning or salt and pepper and form mixture into 4 large oval patties 3/4-inch thick. Pan fry meatloaf patties in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat 7 minutes on each side under a loose tin foil tent. The tent will reflect heat and allow the steam to escape the pan.
Cover the quartered, red-skinned potatoes in water in a medium saucepan. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes 10 minutes or until fork tender. Turn heat under pan off; drain potatoes and return to hot pan and warm stovetop to dry potatoes out. Add butter, sour cream, scallions, and milk to potatoes and smash to your desired consistency. Season potatoes with salt, to taste.
Remove meat loaf patties to a platter and return pan to heat. Reduce heat to medium and add butter and onion to your skillet. Cook the onion 2 minutes and sprinkle pan with flour. Cook flour 1 minute and whisk in 1 cup beef stock. Bring broth to a bubble. If gravy is too thick, thin with additional stock. Stir in condiments and remove gravy from heat.
Slice meatloaf patties and drizzle with gravy. Pile smashed potatoes along side and make a well in the center for sour cream or gravy. Serve meatloaf and smashed potatoes with baby carrots, or with a tossed salad dressed with oil and vinegar.

01-05-2006, 02:22
Originally posted by Racks_Please
Cool. Regardless of which one you go with, try the ketchup based glaze on top. It's awsome!

Oh of course ~et

Alton Brown has a recipe for Meatloaf with a killer Catsup glaze. I made it a few times and it is to die for.

TheEgg
01-19-2006, 16:14
A good variation is when you get your meat all mixed up with whatever you like to put in it, place it on a sheet of wax paper, and press it flat into a rectangle, about as wide as the dish you are going to cook it it, and as long as it will go at about a 1/2 thick.

Then put a layer of good provolone cheese on the meat, then a layer of prosciutto on top of that.

Role it all up, pinch the ends, then cook as usual.

Makes a nice surprise in the middle!!!!