2002 Taurus problem. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Taurus problem.

Kentuckian
12-29-2005, 11:10
My wife's 2002 Taurus has been difficult to start on cold mornings lately, and with 72,000 miles on it I decided to change out the spark plugs.

The factory gap setting is .044, and all the gaps had opened up to about .065.

I changed them out and took the car out for a drive, and under heavy acceleration it would begin stumbling and had no power. The check engine light came on, so I took it to Advance Auto Parts where I bought the plugs. They read the code, and it said "cylinder 1 misfire". I figured the plug must be bad, so I bought another plug and changed it out, but it didn't fix the problem. I then thought that perhaps the connector in the plug wire had separated when I replaced the plug, so I bought a set of wires and replaced the wire for #1 cylinder. That seemed to fix the problem initially, but on the way home it started acting up again.

The only thing left, as far as I can tell, is the coil itself. Is it possible that the new plugs caused the coil to go bad? I swapped out the plugs one at a time, so I know the wires aren't crossed.

Any ideas?

streeter69
12-30-2005, 09:57
Pick up some seafoam or chevron techtrolin (something like that spelling) put one in the tank and run one thru the vacuum system. I have found alot of problems with carbon buildup causing missfire codes even after doing a tuneup. You may also want to do a compression test.

Kentuckian
12-30-2005, 14:05
The code reader at Advance Auto Parts must be screwy, because I found out through a little trial and error that the problem was a bad spark plug in cylinder #2, rather than #1.

;g

At any rate....it's fixed. :cool: