Anyone ever carried while riding dirtbikes (offroad, not motocross)?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever carried while riding dirtbikes (offroad, not motocross)??

Getwild2
12-29-2005, 14:00
I've heard horror stories of rolling up in the middle of someone's meth-lab 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

See, we typically are anywhere from 30 to 60 miles from the trail-head at any given point, usually completely out in the middle of nowhere.

I am plagued with "what-if's". What if a bike breaks down and one person rides out to get help. What if a person gets hurt and one person rides out to get help. What if something happens where you spend the night in the woods, in bear country. What if you find yourself among 6 other bikers who like your bike better and there are only 2 of you?

I am curious if anyone ever carries while they ride and if so, how?

Thanks in advance...

fnfalman
12-29-2005, 15:23
I'm not a dirt rider, but I do hit the boondocks and I don't go out there without at least packing a modest little something. I can't imagine I would do things differently if I were riding dirt bike out there.

BikerRN
12-29-2005, 22:30
I carry 24/7 and the further I am from help the more ammo I carry.

Around town: Kahr PM9 with 1 Reload
Outside Town: Kahr PM9 and a Glock 19 with 1 Reload each or more

Good luck and stay safe.

hayabusa200
12-30-2005, 00:46
I havent, but a friend of mine who happens to be a federal marshall, would always have a fanny pack with him when we went dirt biking. I would always tease him about it, until I found out what he had inside. ;f

Now that I have my CCW license, I probably would carry if I were trail riding. You never know who or what you come across deep in the woods.

rwojcik
12-30-2005, 00:56
Originally posted by Getwild2
I've heard horror stories of rolling up in the middle of someone's meth-lab 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

See, we typically are anywhere from 30 to 60 miles from the trail-head at any given point, usually completely out in the middle of nowhere.

I am plagued with "what-if's". What if a bike breaks down and one person rides out to get help. What if a person gets hurt and one person rides out to get help. What if something happens where you spend the night in the woods, in bear country. What if you find yourself among 6 other bikers who like your bike better and there are only 2 of you?

I am curious if anyone ever carries while they ride and if so, how?

Thanks in advance...
While riding in the Mio/Luzern area I have a type of bag that attaches to the front or rear bars (if available) and it keeps well. Although no trouble that far out I usually have a cell and was a local in that area a while back, so know a few folks if I get into some type of trouble.

Getwild2
12-30-2005, 06:46
Would you technically need a CCW to carry while riding through the woods? Granted, it would be concealed, however you're in the woods where target practice/plinking is okay?!

What do you think? I am getting my CCW but dont have it yet, should have it by the time Spring rolls around and able to ride.

rwojcik
12-30-2005, 10:27
I believe concealed means on your person and not the intended usage of the weapon so I don't think this will apply.

alwaysshootin
12-30-2005, 11:32
and I carry everywhere I go. I am righthanded yet carry lefthanded when riding. I do this because the throttle controls are on the right side.

Don Hume makes a holster that can be worn strongside or weakside crossdraw. Its not perfect but can work in a pinch.

Uncle Mikes also makes a 15 dollar holster which I have which will accomodate a 1911 and a small revolver.
Hope this helps!

MSU
01-16-2006, 11:43
if i do, there's no way i carry with one in the chamber. unless you're just puttering around in the woods, then i might.

Swamp Rat
01-16-2006, 17:03
With a KLR I go offroad when ever the itch hits me, or if the asphalt runs out. I carry 24/7, how depends on what I am doing. I either use a VMII or a shoulder holster. I would rather go down and break a few ribs than go down and break my hip.