Kelly blue Book accuracy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kelly blue Book accuracy?

hickok45
01-01-2006, 17:59
Having just purchased a new car, I'm probably going to sell my 2000 Camry. I've looked it up on the Kelly Blue Book site and computed it's value.

My question is this: how close are the Kelly Blue Book numbers to what people pay and ask? I haven't sold or bought a used vehicle in many years.

I think I have a fair assessment of my car. It would be considered in "Good" shape. If I sell it, I'm not interested in lots of negotiations; My plan would just be to give the KElly Blue Book number for private sales and say that it's non-negotiable in the ad. That should eliminate the many tire-kickers and people looking for a steal.

Would that be a proper strategy? Or do cars generally bring a little MORE or a little LESS than the Kelly Blue Book numbers?

Please share your knowledge or experience.

Thanks,

Cool Hand Hodge
01-01-2006, 19:06
I have found that they will typicly sell for a tad less than the kbbv unless its somthing like a mustang or camaro that some people just have to have. I think the best strategy is to price it $500 high, and then knock $500 off to the first seriously interested buyer.

Rob1035
01-01-2006, 19:31
Originally posted by G. Glock

My question is this: how close are the Kelly Blue Book numbers to what people pay and ask? I haven't sold or bought a used vehicle in many years.

That's pretty dependent on the car model itself. If I were to generalize, I'd say for relatively common, new(ish) stuff (~97+), I'd say the KBB is close. For cars that are more rare, or older, the Book falls on its face. BMW E30 M3s ('88-91) for example, typically blue book in the $3000-5000 range last time I checked, while the actual market dictates around $15,000 for a good example.

As the old quote says, a car is worth what someone will pay for it, but in this situation, for a fairly new car that is relatively common, I'd say the KBB is a good starting point.

Dandapani
01-01-2006, 19:35
Also bounce your numbers off of www.Edmunds.com

hickok45
01-02-2006, 15:46
Thanks for the tip on Edmunds. Edmunds values my Camry right at $1,000.00 higher. Doesn't make sense, but I'll split the difference between Kelly and Edmunds, I suppose.

mhill
01-04-2006, 14:25
I've found the books to put you in the ballpark.

The thing that most people don't realize is that the prices given are for a car in perfect condition with the proper amount of milage.

If a cars tires are old subtract $500.
If a car has door dings subtract 500-1500.
If a car has hail damage subtract ~3000.

You get the idea. Get the price and remember that people are going to point out every flaw in the vehicle and ask you to come down on your price.

Good luck.

98_1LE
01-04-2006, 22:14
I wish I could get what I am asking for my truck, which is in line with both kbb and edmunds private party numbers.

OUSooner
01-05-2006, 17:02
Also try www.nada.com

G10CK
01-06-2006, 23:26
Originally posted by OUSooner
Also try www.nada.com
I agree. I had a classic Corvette I was selling, and KBB just wasn't giving the correct value. My bank & a car dealership both said they use NADA for prices. When I tried them, the quote was much more accurate.;)

GoGators
01-07-2006, 08:35
Now that Kelly & Edmunds have given you a range, aim for the higher end if you're not in much of a hurry to sell and lower if you want to get rid of the car quickly.

autotrader.com is a good resource to use to help you sell