OK DC, How badly did I screw up? PCLinuxOS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OK DC, How badly did I screw up? PCLinuxOS

IndyGunFreak
01-01-2006, 22:24
I was gonna try Mepis like you said, but decided on this version(You also mentioned it was pretty good). I got everything installed in about an hour or so. Then I decided to really take a flying leap, and try to install Wine...

That was a breeze, and I'm already running a couple of my Windows only apps via Linux(mainly, Pokerstars).

I think I'm finally going to break the clutches of Microsoft!

BTW, I would have PM'd this, but your box is full... To anyone else considering Linux, DC is the man!

Thanks again
IGF

prism
01-02-2006, 00:14
I did a quick look at pclinuxos, using a live cd. looked good to me.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Washington,D.C.
01-02-2006, 08:16
PCLinuxOS has sone of the best hardware detection.All of the plug ins are there.The package manager is an easy one but is limited but it's plenty for a desktop system.Earlier versions of PCLinuxOS were really slow on my old PC(ran ok on fast PC),but the current P.92 version is one of the fastest.You may find some of the streaming multimedia works better in Firefox and some might work better in Konqueror.If you have a fairly common Nvidia or a newer ATI video card you install the version with the pre-installed 3D drivers.

IndyGunFreak
01-02-2006, 13:22
Everything is working fine under Root.

So I created myself a user name(as I understand it is a bad thing to use Root as your main account), but my user account can't access anything.

How do I set my user account to access programs I have installed under Root?

Thanks
IGF

Glock Bob
01-02-2006, 17:29
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux! I've been playing around with Knoppix and have installed it a couple of times. I just can't bring myself to use it consistently so I format its partition and use it as extra storage space. I couldn' seem to ever get Wine to work and navigating around the "folders" (or whatever they're called) had me perplexed. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

Washington,D.C.
01-02-2006, 22:21
Okay,I had to do some research because I don't have PCLinuxOS on a PC right now.It looks like it's a KDE/Konqueror problem.I have read an odd work around for it but it's from the prerelease version.Not the final P92.I would first try to do a system update and see if it fixes it.

IndyGunFreak
01-02-2006, 23:23
Actually I figured it out. For some reason, I couldn't get it to work during the Install Process. So I stayed root for a while, then I went into the system control, and it let me create a user there...

When I install a program, how do I make it accessible to both Root and My Users? For instance, I updated Firefox from 1.07 to 1.5 under Root. Then when I got my own User account set up, I had to upgrade it there also. Any way to do like a global install or something? I had the same problem with several other programs I installed, not just Firefox.

Thanks
IGF

IndyGunFreak
01-02-2006, 23:35
Double tap

Washington,D.C.
01-03-2006, 00:28
Yes,it normally works.I think the newer security and especially with Firefox 1.5 it may be more difficult.Have you tried a system update?I get more security settings and warnings in Firefox 1.5 it seems.I'm not sure if that's a system problem/setting or a Firefox thing.Which proccessor and speed is your PC?How much memory does it have?

Oh another thing if you keep Linux and Windows.Linux does write to NTFS partition well.It can read and copy from them though.There was a project to allow writing but it was stopped.It wworks sometimes fairly well but not always easy.Windows can't see or read a Linux partition.Linux can write very easily to a FAT32 partition,so if you make a sp[are FAT32 partition you can write to it from Linux and read/copy it with Windows XP.Some people claim there isn't much trouble with writing to NTFS partition these days but I haven't tried it in a long time.It just makes an easy way to share files from Linux to Windows.

I'm building a new PC now.With all the viruses and security thrats to Windows I might just run Linux on it.But I will order a copy of 64 bit Windows XP with the remainder of the parts.

I always keep a copy of that Litrix around for the old PC's. ;f

Washington,D.C.
01-06-2006, 04:22
You might enjoy this CD.It's based on PCLinuxOS with Gnome.Can run it as a live CD.I'm not sure the rest of of the PCLinuxOS software and updates will work with it so I won't base a system on it but it's interesting to try it out.It's just over 600MB and a fast connection.

http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/pclinuxos-gnome-0.92.iso

IndyGunFreak
01-06-2006, 14:40
Now see, I love the Gnome look. I think its way way better than KDE(and thought so even before I downloaded PCLinux, but it seemed the easiest to get the hang of)... I can't figure out how to install this version though.

If I did install it, I'd just install it over my copy of PCLinuxOS with KDE.., then I wouldn't have to modify the boot loader,etc., right?

Thanks
IGF

Washington,D.C.
01-06-2006, 15:14
It's a seperate project by another guy.The Gnome "look" isn't there.It's heavily modified and looks like Microsoft Windows !!!!!!