How realistic is the martial arts in Hollywood? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How realistic is the martial arts in Hollywood?

Eagle78101
01-02-2006, 17:17
I saw a movie where a 90 pound teenager martial arts a dozen men into unconciousness. The teenager is female, fit and swift as a panther but one of the ones she took down was a 200lb combat veteran.

Anyway, I was just wondering if something like that could happen in real life.

vanRichten
01-02-2006, 17:22
While anything is possible, by and large the martial arts in hollywood is crap.

Jet Li, Michael Jay White, Wesley Snipes, Sammo, Jackie Chan... about the only "real" martial artists there are in hollywood.

I'm sure a very good martial artist could take on a dozen men, it wouldn't be easy. The movies also don't show how a real fight would be, you aren't going to have a dozen men waiting for the one in front to get his ***** beat before they moved in.

Eagle78101
01-02-2006, 17:46
Originally posted by vanRichten
While anything is possible, by and large the martial arts in hollywood is crap.

I'm sure a very good martial artist could take on a dozen men, it wouldn't be easy. The movies also don't show how a real fight would be, you aren't going to have a dozen men waiting for the one in front to get his ***** beat before they moved in.

I read an article by an emergency room doctor once called "If Hollywood accuratly showed the results of fighting.." The difference between H'wood and reality is about one thousand lightyears. The hero has a cute little band aid. Realistically, he should have a broken jaw, missing teeth, detached retina, smashed kidney, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I figured H'wood was as usual, full of you know what.;Q

vanRichten
01-02-2006, 17:50
Yeah, I've seen so many movies where a guy gets kicked in the face by a guy wearing boots and he gets right back up...

Getting kicked in the face HURTS, I couldn't even imagine it with boots on. *shudders*

Glock27Girl
01-03-2006, 10:51
I think most fight scenes in movies are terribly unrealistic. From the techniques used being overly "showy" and less practical (jump spinning hook kicks, etc.), to people being able to withstand brutal hits and just keep going. But hey, it's for entertainment, and the fictional quality of other elements is similar as well.

Since I just got my first pistol, now it's starting to bother me in movies that no one has to deal with recoil, and shooters seem to have a secret well of ammo stashed in the gun somewhere to shoot well beyond their mag capacity. :) Also, no one really seems to aim, yet they still shoot better than I do....

grenadier
01-03-2006, 11:03
In addition to the above, the martial artists in Hollywood can fight for prolonged periods of time, without needing to pause to catch their wind...

Really, have someone fight three 3 min rounds in a USANKF / WKF match, going at that intensity for the whole time, and I'll show you a superhuman being...

mhill
01-04-2006, 15:39
Hollywood get firearms right more often than Martial Arts.

A 90lbs woman is going to have very little effect on a 200lbs guy with a kick or a punch.

It's just entertainment.

Halojumper
01-04-2006, 19:14
Originally posted by mhill
A 90lbs woman is going to have very little effect on a 200lbs guy with a kick or a punch.

That's not necessarily true, just unlikely, especially the way most people train today.

phaedrus
01-04-2006, 22:34
A real fight will rarely last longer than 20 seconds. That's plenty long enough to hurt someone (or get hurt) pretty bad. Especially if someone has a weapon (knife, stick, etc.).

phaedrus

Dogbite
01-06-2006, 18:39
A teacher I once had said, "If you ever want to see if your in great shape, work out on the heavy bag, hitting and kicking it hard for 3 minutes". I laugh when I see these guys in the movies taking on several opponents,(which all wait their turn). In real life, people fight dirty, with any weapon available, and have 2 or 3 people to help kick your back end. They don't stand still while you jump kick each one in the face. Usually you get a piece of one of them, and a couple of guys get a bigger piece of you..One man can overcome a couple of guys if he is very trained and motivated/aggressive, but most would be beaten like a rented mule by a small, determined group of nasty ruffians. I once helped teach a rape prevention class with about 60 ladies attending. We did a exercise right off the bat to help the ladies understand what it would be like to fight off a determined adult male. These ladies were untrained, and all different sizes. At the end of the exercise, there was nothing but silence. They were ALL shocked at how unprepared they were for a violent encounter. I dare say that your average untrained man would be in the same boat.

lecherro
01-08-2006, 10:32
All of my instructors taught me, In a multiple opponent fight, you play keep away, trying to stay safe and unharmed. If you get a shot in good for you. Your first Priority in a fight should be to get out of that fight. You may have to punch and kick you r way out, but you should be getting out. I have fought multiple oppopnents on several occasions, just for training purposes and for fun, and it kicks your ass. They werent even trying to really get me, they were just pushing me to see how far i could go. Hollywood is all make believe, there are some instances where you might see something realistic, but its probably an accident.

GuSpeed
01-09-2006, 20:22
This board is pretty darn good. I didn't realize how many knowledge people are on here. I'm a kung fu practioner for 9 years and I have heard many bs stuff on other martial arts forum but you guys here seems to know what you're talkin about and it's all about realistics. Many schools teaches stuff that could get you killed out there.

What style of martial art if any and how many years do you guys study or practice?

Thanks.

bdcochran
01-10-2006, 12:48
1. smaller people have the advantage because they can get in a larger person's frame. Witness my going up against a woman 1 foot shorter and weighing about 100 pounds less who was an expert in Thai kickboxing.

2. I know an expert in sansoo who is a mild mannered medium sized guy who took on 7 black belts in one martial arts discipline simultaneously and won.

3. Hollywood. I know a "hollywood star" in kung fu who decided to take on a real martial artist one day in front of the star's wife. The martial artist was 20 years older, partially disabled and outweighed by many pounds. The "hollywood star" had his head handed back to him - and the martial artist made no more pictures with the star as his reward.

How realistic is hollywood? Oh come on. In a real fight, much less practice, people are seriously injured. In just practice this last October, I was so badly injured in "light contact" that I had three hospitalizations and two surgical procedures. And then, I accidentally gave a little too much in a minor leg kick and the poor guy in training was down for two weeks. No sarcasm. This is how dangerous martial arts can be - and why the stuff you see on screen is carefully coreographed.

Halojumper
01-10-2006, 15:52
Originally posted by bdcochran
I know an expert in sansoo who is a mild mannered medium sized guy who took on 7 black belts in one martial arts discipline simultaneously and won.

Were they TaeKwonDo?

bdcochran
01-10-2006, 16:46
I don't know.

The fellow does not teach public classes because too many people wanted to come in and show him their stuff (some people have real ego problems). He is in the San Fernando Valley.

gr81disp
01-10-2006, 20:27
I have a feeling #1 has less to do with her size than with her Thai kickboxing, an art which is easily one of the most devastating and brutal striking arts in the world, with an emphasis on power and precision. If you have a small person and big person, but the small person is far ahead on technique, the little person will win 8 out of 10. The catch is that if the two are of equal skill, in which case the big guy will win AT LEAST 9 out of 10 times.

GuSpeed
01-10-2006, 20:43
I'm 5 feet 2 inches 155LB and I've been doing kung fu for 9 years. But sparring buddy who's 5'10 or 6'0 180LB kicked me in the thigh and I haven't been able to practice for a month. It's crazy how easy someone can get hurt. So movie fights are only entertainment and that's it.

katana8869
01-10-2006, 20:54
"What style of martial art if any and how many years do you guys study or practice?"

I started in Tang Soo Do in 1983 as part of the World Tang Soo Do Assc. went to Brown Belt but got distracted by life as a older teenager ;N

Worked out alot informally with friends and associates and explored mainly boxing and Shotokan during that time

Started training seriously again in 1994 as part of the U.S. Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation. Got my Cho Dan in 1998. Still training but not as hard or as steady as I used to. Been shooting since age 8 and everything I know about the basics I learned from my dad. Got into shooting for self defense in my 20's.

BTW, I have been heel kicked in the head by a 100 lb girl in a sparring match with no pads. Hurt like hell!! `p

katana8869
01-10-2006, 21:04
"In a real fight, much less practice, people are seriously injured. "

I will definately second that. My 1st wife was very seriously injured in a non contact practice match. She was clashing with another student and was accidentally shin kicked in the knee. She has had 2 knee surgeries the last I heard as a direct result of that 1 incident.

I shake my head at those fight scenes in the movies when you hear a joint pop and the hero keeps right on fighting with the same arm. Reality is alot more dramatic.

mitchshrader
01-10-2006, 21:11
i'd suggest they are usually way too egotistical to give it their full attention.

i doubt seriously it's a high priority on the casting couch.

oh.

wait. you said Martial, not Marital.

i always get those two confused.. ;)

Critias
01-11-2006, 04:11
Originally posted by Eagle78101
I saw a movie where a 90 pound teenager martial arts a dozen men into unconciousness. The teenager is female, fit and swift as a panther but one of the ones she took down was a 200lb combat veteran.

Anyway, I was just wondering if something like that could happen in real life.

What was the movie?

At a guess, I'm thinking you might be talking about Serenity.

If so, the important thing to keep in mind there is that it's not only (a) a movie, but (b) a sci fi movie, and that being the case, (c) the 90 pound teenaged girl was also the result of lots of crazy psychological/biological experiments, leading to (d) no one really knows what they did to her, or what she's now capable of (for all we know, she could be using some weird totally unrealistic psychic ability to knock people out, not just punching and kicking them).

So (e) I wouldn't sweat it too much. :)

walangkatapat
01-15-2006, 11:24
For multiple opponents the best thing you can do is run, if not I hope you have medical and dental coverage.

Photocop
01-15-2006, 12:09
Unless the adversaries are complete retards or physically useless or handicapped, there is virtually no way that one guy could take on eight or ten people at once. And if any of the adversaries have just the slightest amount of mixed-martial arts trainig, the one guy will be killed ever quicker.

Tombstone G30
02-07-2006, 11:26
Hollywood martial arts is typically a joke. My favorite comedian is Steven Segal.

I personally have about 35 years of martial arts underneath me and am currently a 7th degree black belt. But, being in my 50s, I sure as heck don't plan to dance with someone half my age. That's why I always carry my G30.