TV Tuner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner

pyblood
01-02-2006, 19:36
I am looking to build a new PC pretty soon and I am looking for a TV tuner. I have been looking around the net and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I donít really care if itís USB, Firewire, or PCI. I want a TV tuner that has a FM tuner and a remote control. I have searched on NewEgg, and they have over 20 available. The prices vary from $27 to $170. Price isnít as important as quality for this particular component of the PC. The Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 looks pretty good. I am also looking at the AVerMedia MTVBOXEX9.
Probably because thay are some of the more expensive.

vanRichten
01-02-2006, 19:50
I personally like the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro. I don't believe it has a radio tuner in it however. Something to consider.

pesticidal
01-02-2006, 19:53
I can't remember what I tried, but it was only about $50.00. I'd recommend getting spending more and getting a quality one. The one I tried had about 1/2 lapse between picture and sound.

IndyGunFreak
01-03-2006, 07:28
Originally posted by vanRichten
I personally like the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro. I don't believe it has a radio tuner in it however. Something to consider.

I have this card and it works fine. Mine is a couple years old, so they may have a radio tuner nowdays, but mine does not.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
01-04-2006, 16:56
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
I have this card and it works fine. Mine is a couple years old, so they may have a radio tuner nowdays, but mine does not.

IGF

I decided I wanted a new Tuner card, one with a remote, thought that would be nice. So after doing some searching,etc, I picked out this one.... According to the specs, it AM/FM capabilities. I almost didnt' buy it, as it was alarmingly cheap, but it had a couple of OK reviews, and at that price, its almost a throw away item... :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144306

IGF

pyblood
01-09-2006, 13:31
I decided against buying a separate TV tuner and decided to get an ATI All-In Wonder X1800XL. It's a PCI Express interface video card, so I had to get a new board. My old CPU or wouldn't work on that board, so I had to get a new CPU. I just decided to get a new computer. I got some of the stuff in on today and the rest will be on tomorrow.

frefoo
01-10-2006, 19:52
Originally posted by pyblood
The Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 looks pretty good. I am also looking at the AVerMedia MTVBOXEX9.
Probably because thay are some of the more expensive.

I built my own "Tivo" using mythtv (http://www.mythtv.org) and the PVR-250 (no FM tuner) The remote could have been better but that did not matter to me since I am using a universial remote (VCR code 0081). I had to modify some files in the linux OS to get the universial remote to work...not sure if you can do the same with Windows. I expect you should be able to I just have no idea how.

I am very satisfied with it. One nice thing about the PVR-350 (over the PVR-250) is that it also handles video-out so you dont need an additional video card like you do with the PVR-250.

The PVR-250/350 are no longer being made. I no nothing about the newer cards.

Since mythtv is linux based I had to be carefull to find a TV card that worked well with linux. The PVR-250/350 had the best "web support" so it made the most sense for me.

A friend of mine purchased an HDTV card from ATI for his Windows system and he had problems getting all of the HDTV "over air" channels to be detected by the card (even though his HDTV using the same Ant had no issues finding them), not sure what the issue was, I am not sure if he got it resolved.

Washington,D.C.
01-10-2006, 20:10
Originally posted by frefoo

A friend of mine purchased an HDTV card from ATI for his Windows system and he had problems getting all of the HDTV "over air" channels to be detected by the card (even though his HDTV using the same Ant had no issues finding them), not sure what the issue was, I am not sure if he got it resolved.

Not sure it still applies but I think it does.The ATI HDTV card will only work properly with an ATI graphics card.And then maybe only certain ones.ATI claims you can use any brand video cards but that's not true.

ngray
01-11-2006, 11:15
I've heard of issues with the ATI AIW, mostly because it doesn't do hardware MPEG encoding, which burdens the CPU.

I keep hearing GREAT things about the hauppage cards though, and they have ones starting under 100 now. You might consider a dual-tuner model for convenience.

RaiderRodney
01-11-2006, 11:38
Originally posted by ngray
I've heard of issues with the ATI AIW, mostly because it doesn't do hardware MPEG encoding, which burdens the CPU.

I keep hearing GREAT things about the hauppage cards though, and they have ones starting under 100 now. You might consider a dual-tuner model for convenience.

Keeping my eye open on these things for my next build. I am leaning towards a Hauppage as well right now.