Microsoft Preparing Patch for Windows Flaw [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Preparing Patch for Windows Flaw


Washington,D.C.
01-03-2006, 12:52
REDMOND, Wash. - Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it has created a patch for a flaw that could let someone take control of another person's computer, but the fix is still being tested and isn't expected to be released until next week.


The Redmond software giant confirmed late last week that some people were using the previously unknown vulnerability to attempt to attack computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system. But the company said Tuesday that its research indicates the attacks are not widespread.

To be attacked, a user would have to visit a malicious Web site through Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser or be persuaded to open an e-mail attachment. The flaw affects versions of Windows desktop and server software dating back to
Windows 98.

Microsoft said it hopes to release the patch on Jan. 10 as part of its regular monthly security updates.

___

On the Web: http://www.microsoft.com/security

epsylum
01-03-2006, 15:59
Ah another "bug" that allows someone to take over your PC. Didn't XP have one of those a couple years ago that took them 6 months to fix?

I just wish the PC world would all revolt at once and swtich to a Linux based OS. Until then we are stuck with Windows running our lives, literally.

David N.
01-03-2006, 21:12
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
To be attacked, a user would have to visit a malicious Web site through Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser or be persuaded to open an e-mail attachment.

So those who've already abandoned IE are already a step ahead. Imagine that.

Toyman
01-04-2006, 07:04
Originally posted by epsylum
Ah another "bug" that allows someone to take over your PC. Didn't XP have one of those a couple years ago that took them 6 months to fix?

I just wish the PC world would all revolt at once and swtich to a Linux based OS. Until then we are stuck with Windows running our lives, literally.

Blah blah blah. Yeah, then we would be stuck with someone else running our lives. Linux isn't perfect, that's why there are so many fricken distros.

See http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm

Microsoft's OFFICIAL SECURITY UPDATE leaked
onto the Internet early...The updated GDI32.DLL file contained in this patch, was built in the evening of December 28th, LAST WEDNESDAY. It is clear that Microsoft jumped on this problem and had it resolved almost immediately. But the nature of the installed base of Windows systems, and Microsoft's understandable need to be absolutely certain they don't break anything else with this new replacement GDI32.DLL, requires that they take the time to thoroughly test anything they change.

epsylum
01-04-2006, 08:28
Originally posted by Toyman
Blah blah blah. Yeah, then we would be stuck with someone else running our lives. Linux isn't perfect, that's why there are so many fricken distros.

See http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm

I agree it isn't perfect, but there would be competition. I think we can all agree competition is a good thing.

Toyman
01-04-2006, 08:50
Originally posted by epsylum
I agree it isn't perfect, but there would be competition. I think we can all agree competition is a good thing.

I agree. But there's always been competition. Apple, Amiga, Commodore, ect. Now add recently BSD, Linux times many. Windows won out for two reasons: People liked to use it, and they needed to share info with other people, so everyone kinda migrated to one OS.

I've used Linux, Max OS, Windows, DOS, OS/2. I say use what you like best, and what works best for you. I write software, most people use windows so that's what I use so I can code for it.

I just believe that Linux is not ready for the begginner. Until it is, it'll just be a hobbiest OS.

neeko
01-04-2006, 09:21
It isnt a bug, its a feature! WMF has a feature to allow it to run code if the image fails to render.

epsylum
01-04-2006, 22:27
Originally posted by Toyman
I agree. But there's always been competition. Apple, Amiga, Commodore, ect. Now add recently BSD, Linux times many. Windows won out for two reasons: People liked to use it, and they needed to share info with other people, so everyone kinda migrated to one OS.

I've used Linux, Max OS, Windows, DOS, OS/2. I say use what you like best, and what works best for you. I write software, most people use windows so that's what I use so I can code for it.

I just believe that Linux is not ready for the begginner. Until it is, it'll just be a hobbiest OS.

I mean a free common base code (sorta like the internet has) and then you can choose which software somapny has the features and such that you like. That's really the only reason I said anything about Linux. That would allow comeptition but still retain the majority of compatability.

45acp4me
01-05-2006, 05:05
Originally posted by epsylum
Ah another "bug" that allows someone to take over your PC. Didn't XP have one of those a couple years ago that took them 6 months to fix?

I just wish the PC world would all revolt at once and swtich to a Linux based OS. Until then we are stuck with Windows running our lives, literally.

But as soon as Linux becomes the most widely used operating system, it will be attacked as much as the Windows OS. Granted, it won't have quite as many security holes, but they will still be there.

Toyman
01-05-2006, 06:38
"Linux/Unix Vulnerabilities Outnumber Microsoft Windows' 3 To 1

Linux and Unix, including the Mac, had 2,328 vulnerabilities last year, compared with 812 vulnerabilities for Microsoft Windows, according to the U.S. government's computer security group."

Read Article... (http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175801215&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_news)

David_G17
01-05-2006, 15:20
patch is out and ready for download at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

discussion:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+pushes+out+Windows+patch+ahead+of+time/2100-1002_3-6020070.html?tag=nl

Washington,D.C.
01-05-2006, 15:42
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-001.mspx

HAVOC
01-05-2006, 16:14
Microsoft's problems are all Apple's fault. (http://www.satirewire.com/news/0111/microsoft_settlement.shtml)

DeadMansLife
01-05-2006, 17:58
Originally posted by HAVOC
Microsoft's problems are all Apple's fault. (http://www.satirewire.com/news/0111/microsoft_settlement.shtml)

Wrong again grasshopper, Microsoft's problems are Bush's fault. Bush hates MS!;Q

JMag
01-05-2006, 19:35
Yep, already patched it up...until next time!