Shooting Stances [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Stances

Pepe308
01-03-2006, 21:50
Anybody here want to impart knowledge on the subject, their names & descriptions? Just got curious when I read a post somewhere here, I'm used to the isosceles stance but never knew its name until recently. Thanks in advance guys. Happy 3 kings! :)

ogiebb
01-03-2006, 22:22
modified isoceles..try TGO's website also a few on matt burkett's site as well....;)

bikethief
01-03-2006, 22:28
I found that the most comfortable stance for me is the same stance I use for boxing and martial arts. Left foot forward right foot slightly back. i automatically go into that exact stance in stressful situations with or without a firearm in my hand. It's also the same stance I use when drawing my knife or baton. I guess that would be practical for transitioning from different modes of combat. If I had to name that stance then it would probably be called the "Sige, bigyan mo ako ng rason!" stance. Or the "Nakupo, magkamali ka lang ng galaw, yari ka sakin!" stance.;f

cznayr
01-03-2006, 23:14
Weaver.. Stance like the make and type of a gun depends on the preference and comfortability of the shooter..

batangueno
01-03-2006, 23:30
Isosceles - Squared stance with both arms straight.
Weaver - Weak (left for rh shooter) foot forward. Strong arm straight pushing, weak arm bent pulling.
Modern Isosceles - Weak foot forward slightly. Both arms slightly bent.

Allegra
01-04-2006, 00:46
Originally posted by cznayr
Weaver.. Stance like the make and type of a gun depends on the preference and comfortability of the shooter..

Have yo tried the modern isosceles?

cznayr
01-04-2006, 00:49
I haven't tried the modern isosceles yet. medyo walang panahon sa range lately... does it present a cure to limp wristing?

mikey177
01-04-2006, 01:19
Don't forget the Homey Stance, standing gangsta-style, one arm raised, with gun held at a 90 degree angle ;e

antediluvianist
01-04-2006, 01:34
"Shooting stances"?

Missionary is still the favorite one, isn't it?

cznayr
01-04-2006, 02:14
Missionary is a thing of the past.. ;f

Helicopter is gaining ground ;e

nrmcolt
01-04-2006, 02:17
"Sige, bigyan mo ako ng rason!" stance. Or the "Nakupo, magkamali ka lang ng galaw, yari ka sakin!" stance.
;z Sir, pareho pala tayo.;f
;c

Allegra
01-04-2006, 02:17
Originally posted by cznayr
I haven't tried the modern isosceles yet. medyo walang panahon sa range lately... does it present a cure to limp wristing?

yung limp wristing has nothing t do w/ the stance
Sa grip yun
Do you feel you need a stronger grip or na aapektuhan ka pa ng blast ng baril?
BOGS should have a clinic , calling mga shooter BOGS :)

cznayr
01-04-2006, 02:26
i do think i need to have a stronger grip, mahirap kasi yung helicopter.. ay shooting form pala.. ;f

Medyo apektado pa nga siguro sa blast.. laging mababa ang tama..
I think I solved it after some practice tapos pag natigil ng matagal at balik sa range hayan na naman...

anticipated kasi agad yung recoil ng weak hand..

kaya kailangan talaga practice, practice, practice

Putok-Glock
01-04-2006, 02:40
Originally posted by Pepe308
Anybody here want to impart knowledge on the subject, their names & descriptions? Just got curious when I read a post somewhere here, I'm used to the isosceles stance but never knew its name until recently. Thanks in advance guys. Happy 3 kings! :)

W/ so many technics/styles that abound today, dont forget the Pepe308 Stance . Believe me, its the most effective stance for you. As effective as the P-G Stance to me;) .

Eye Cutter
01-04-2006, 04:09
try mo ipsc. you'll learn how to shoot the weaver, chapman, isoceles, modern isoceles, standing, kneeling, squatting, indian sit, prone, supine, bent forward, backward, sideways, stronghand, weakhand, 2 eyes open, 1 eye closed, 2 eyes closed, etc. etc. etc.!

Putok-Glock
01-04-2006, 04:23
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
try mo ipsc. you'll learn how to shoot the weaver, chapman, isoceles, modern isoceles, standing, kneeling, squatting, indian sit, prone, supine, bent forward, backward, sideways, stronghand, weakhand, 2 eyes open, 1 eye closed, 2 eyes closed, etc. etc. etc.!

+1... ;f ;a ;f ;z ;z ;z

Django
01-04-2006, 07:46
Originally posted by Allegra

Yeah, maybe we could squeeze it in this coming Sunday. :)

Mga BOGs, just go to the Armscor range this Sunday let's have FUN. ;f

3kings
01-04-2006, 07:49
check out this video link http://www.sabretactical.com/C_A_R_/Video_Clips/video_clips.html
something to ponder about

3kings
01-04-2006, 07:52
POSITION SUL - another techniqe for CQB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/a3kings/positionSUL.jpg

Have you ever felt that a teammate's muzzel was sweeping in training or on an operation? (most likely the case in airsoft) I fyou have, you are not alone.

There is a position that has been in wide usage for the past eight years now that is a solution to the potential lethality of pistol muzzles flagging other officers during high intensity, live fire activities.

Position SUL has been in use since 1997. The word SUL means "south" in Portugese, as this is where your muzzle is directed. SUL was developed as an answer to wild muzzle control by men armed with pistols during cqb training or operations.

SUL is a close in ready postion where the muzzle is directed at the ground about twelve to eighteen inces in front of you. The muzzle is permitted to float slightly left or right if the situation dictates, but is usually directed right at the deck.

Position SUL is used in one of these occassions

1. when you are in transit and you are not the cover man
2. when friendlies are crossing in front of your sector of fire or arc of coverage.
3. domination of crowds.

Take note of the contact between the middle finger knuckle of the shooting hand and the index finger knuckle of the non shooting hand. this is your reference point for fast acquisition of your sights.

-got this info in swat magazine

Alexii
01-04-2006, 08:34
Learn all the shooting stances. They all have specific purposes. Modified Iso seems to be the most balanced and "orthopedically-friendly" but Weaver also has its place: if you're right-handed, try shooting a target two-handed while moving 90 degrees to the right.

jhun
01-04-2006, 10:58
Originally posted by Django
Yeah, maybe we could squeeze it in this coming Sunday. :)

Mga BOGs, just go to the Armscor range this Sunday let's have FUN. ;f

Hmm ayos yan!...sa MCS pala kayo laging tumatambay mga sirs?

meron ba kayong sked nang pagpunta dun?

batangueno
01-04-2006, 11:05
jhun, sa armscor range marikina sa sunday. Baka hintayin mo kami sa makati. ;f

jhun
01-04-2006, 14:46
hahaha! kala ko MCS. thanks sir batangueno

Allegra
01-04-2006, 20:17
Originally posted by Alexii
Learn all the shooting stances. They all have specific purposes. Modified Iso seems to be the most balanced and "orthopedically-friendly" but Weaver also has its place: if you're right-handed, try shooting a target two-handed while moving 90 degrees to the right.

Hi fafa, a little correction lang
Let's make a distinction here
A shooter using mod iso never goes into weaver although he make look like he is when the upper body points to the side
A weaver stance has a push -pull grip
A mod iso has a neutral grip
So while a mod iso shooter is shooting to the side 90 deg, hindi pa rin weaver yun kasi he isnt push pulling the gun

Benj
01-04-2006, 22:16
Most law enforcement agencies and bureaus like the FBI still use the Weaver stance ba? Or is it just the movies and TV shows that project it?

toxic
01-04-2006, 23:07
sa isoceles since both arms are straight medyo hirap ako sumasakit yung shoulder muscle ko cuz i tend to bend my head slightly forward to align the sights( which i think is the proper isoceles as described by experts)
so i went to modern isoceles mas balance ang body and managable ang recoil ng pistol,which i think is practical sa competion.

Pepe308 this can help you Ron Avery's descripton of stance/s
http://www.practicalshootingacad.com/modern_shooting_stance.htm

For best result and to know which position will do you any good try Doc EC's recommendations to check and try the different shooting positions.

Pepe308
01-05-2006, 00:07
Thanks guys. No offense to those who hate cops, but a cop taught me that basic "pepe308 stance." It was informal actually, so he didn't mention the name of it, besides, he's not a gun enthusiast,just happened to have one for the job. I also use the weaver stance or that weak leg forward thing, I once got into martial arts too.

Pepe308
01-05-2006, 00:14
Originally posted by Eye Cutter

Love to sir, just for the experience of it! 2 eyes closed huh?! Do I shoot in the 69 position too? Just kidding. ;e

Pepe308
01-05-2006, 01:08
Originally posted by Alexii

Darwin mentioned something like this before. will do sir,the other way.. I'm a southpaw. Thanks. :)

darwin25
01-05-2006, 03:09
Originally posted by Allegra
yung limp wristing has nothing t do w/ the stance
Sa grip yun
Do you feel you need a stronger grip or na aapektuhan ka pa ng blast ng baril?

I dont know but I think it does. A female BOG has this problem with her stance. She's limpwristing the gun during one of our practice sessions. She's using the weaver stance. Alexxi and I told her to change her shooting stance to isoceles. Maybe it allowed her to grip the gun better. Sure enough, the limpwristing went away.

Pepe308
01-05-2006, 11:20
Originally posted by darwin25
I dont know but I think it does. A female BOG has this problem with her stance. She's limpwristing the gun during one of our practice sessions. She's using the weaver stance. Alexxi and I told her to change her shooting stance to isoceles. Maybe it allowed her to grip the gun better. Sure enough, the limpwristing went away.

There is a female BoG member? Cool! :cool:

batangueno
01-05-2006, 20:52
There is a female BoG member? Cool! :cool:
Actually there are 2, chinagirl and fwb (wife of ppts). Haven't seen them post for a very long time. :)

darwin25
01-06-2006, 00:20
If your shooting stance is good, you're dead. Either you're not moving fast enough or you dont have any cover/not using cover correctly.

darwin25
01-06-2006, 00:30
Check ouit this article
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

a few of uncle mas's articles
http://www.backwoodshome.com/ayoob_index.html

another useful article
http://www.backwoodshome.com/columns/wolfe040415.html

batangueno
01-06-2006, 00:32
If your shooting stance is good, you're dead. Either you're not moving fast enough or you dont have any cover/not using cover correctly.
I like that. ^c

cznayr
01-06-2006, 00:32
If your shooting stance is good, you're dead. Either you're not moving fast enough or you dont have any cover.

that's one way to put it.. ;z

If I remember it right, Capt. jaylo beats BGs to the draw by unsighted firing (tama ba term ko?)... Second shot would be with the use of front sights usually as a follow up.. Not the recommended way but it works for him.. I suppose he practices this in the range

Allegra
01-06-2006, 00:44

OTOH , if you cant hit em' standing still , you wont hit 'em moving or hiding either

Good shooters who have mastered their default stance will be able to shoot in any position even when contorted like a pretzel, like what Doc EC said

antediluvianist
01-06-2006, 00:55
The best stance is, perhaps, leaning over the coffin of the BG you shot, rather than the other way around.

Seriously, I use "no-pushi-pulli weaver" stance since I don't really pull with my weak hand or push with my strong hand - just the hold and sighting and swiveling is difficult enough .

Pepe308
01-12-2006, 20:04
Originally posted by batangueno
Actually there are 2, chinagirl and fwb (wife of ppts). Haven't seen them post for a very long time. :)

I'm hoping to add up one more, I have a female friend/former officemate who wants to learn shooting.

casmot
01-12-2006, 21:00
I'm hoping to add up one more, I have a female friend/former officemate who wants to learn shooting.

Is she the same friend? ;f

Pepe308
01-12-2006, 21:25
Sir Casmot: Errr... didn't get what you mean... . If you're referring to gunfool's friend, nope she's not the one. If you're referring to my GF, neither though my GF tolerates my being a gun nut... . But I think my friend is still single and available... .:)
BTW, my GF wants to learn too, just in case (daw) she finds out my other "pasaway" activities...^~

casmot
01-12-2006, 21:30
Sir Casmot: Errr... didn't get what you mean... . If you're referring to gunfool's friend, nope she's not the one. If you're referring to my GF, neither though my GF tolerates my being a gun nut... . But I think my friend is still single and available... .:)
BTW, my GF wants to learn too, just in case (daw) she finds out my other "pasaway" activities...

Hahaha... I got everything mixed up. ;g Anyway, your friend, your GF and your "pasaways" are welcome to join.

Pepe308
01-12-2006, 21:47
Maybe the "female friend" only would join BoGs, my GF just wants to learn how to shoot me if proven unfaithful... . ;N

charlie-xray
01-28-2006, 03:30
Tanong lang mga Sir, pasensya na kung medyo paulit ulit na ito pero clarification lang Armscor Marikina papaano po ako mag-aaply ng PTT para makapunta diyan with my gun kasi Cavite pa po ako manggaling.

toxic
01-28-2006, 03:35
Originally posted by charlie-xray
Tanong lang mga Sir, pasensya na kung medyo paulit ulit na ito pero clarification lang Armscor Marikina papaano po ako mag-aaply ng PTT para makapunta diyan with my gun kasi Cavite pa po ako manggaling.

your gun club in cavite can apply the PTT for you just ipa specify mo lang kung saan ka lalaro or puputok , now if you are not a member of any club or PPSA ..thats another story..Dont know the answer..perhaps some BOG's can help.

Django
01-28-2006, 03:41
If you want a PTT processed and issued by Armscor, you have to be a member of the Armscor gun club.

If you are already a member of a gun club in Cavite and they process PTT's, just tell them to include Armscor in Marikina as one of your destinations as indicated in the PTT.