Yamaha or Honda 4 stroke dirt bike? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha or Honda 4 stroke dirt bike?

RMTactical
01-04-2006, 03:27
Which would you choose. Most of my friends are into the Yamahas, but I think Honda makes a better bike. What say you?

Rinspeed
01-04-2006, 08:49
I've owned several of both and currently have a Yamaha XT600. The Honda's have always been hard to beat in just about every way. Yamaha puts a ton of money into R&D and their new sleds, bikes and 4 wheelers are as good as Honda in my opinion, some are better. So as long as you stick to either you should be fine.

Rosey
01-04-2006, 10:30
Originally posted by Rinspeed
[snip]...Yamaha['s]...new sleds, bikes and 4 wheelers are as good as Honda in my opinion, some are better...[snip]

I agree with that. I've always been a Honda guy, but many of Yamaha's newer products really impress.

I've heard alot about valvetrain problems on the CRF450s which the YZ450Fs don't seem to have. Some have suggested that the reason is because Yamaha's 5 valve head doesn't require the aggressive cam profiles used in the 4 valve head Hondas. Supposedly, the valve springs just give up after a while...[shrug] That's all second hand info, though.

I can say that where I ride (the dunes), the CRF450Rs are THE bikes to have. I see 5-10 times as many Hondas as Yamahas out there.

I'd happily buy either.

epsylum
01-04-2006, 20:35
All of the big 4 make good stuff. It's more a model to model thing.

I like Yamaha, but wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the other 3.

If I were in your situation, I would go Yamaha just because your friends probably know some stuff about them. What to look out for, how to do maintenece, etc. Plus you could start a bike gang ;f j/k.

Just go pick one you like. If you are thinking motocrosser, they are all REALLY good (comeptition does that ;)). Just pick one you like.

shark_za
01-05-2006, 01:05
What for?

MX or Enduro riding?

The CRF450X and WR450R are neck and neck in the Enduro field, cant go wrong with either.
The new Honda X has a happy button now :o)

I have friends with the WR and they love them, so personally I would go blue.

For MX, rather go with a Zook or the new Kawa 450F.

DaisyCutter
01-05-2006, 13:40
Riding ability and terrain type are helpful bits of information. As well as height/weight.

Since most vets have a preference, I'm guessing you're a novice, looking for something to thunder around with the guys on.

If you're looking for a simple used bike, I believe Honda to have the better OEM equipment and represent the best value. (XR-250's are nice)

If you are looking for a new high end racer, I believe Yamaha to have a better reliability record over Honda. However, if you're going new... get a KTM.

My best advice is to get a KDX200... Economical maintenance and performance exceeding most 4-stroke non-race bikes. Plus they are cheap, and excellent for beginners... Yet a guy named Fredette can go pretty fast on them. 2-strokes are are lighter, faster, and easier/cheaper to maintain. Plus, if properly cared for, are highly reliable. The overwhelming majority of off road racers ride two strokes for a reason.

RMTactical
01-05-2006, 14:37
I've ridden on and off all my life, but I've never owned my own bike. Ridden a lot of Suzukis (well, most of my riding with these were about 8 years ago, 2-stokes too), quite a few Yamaha 4 strokes, and some Hondas (2-stroke and 4-stroke).

I've always like Hondas. Cars, bikes, whatever. I'm just a brand snob I think.

It would be an enduro bike.

I'm really leaning Honda, but I know my buddies will probably be jealous or have some sort of inferiority complex. ;f

DaisyCutter
01-05-2006, 15:57
Originally posted by GoreLicks

I'm really leaning Honda, but I know my buddies will probably be jealous or have some sort of inferiority complex. ;f

Get what you want!

I'm likely putting a deposit on THIS (http://destryabbott.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=91&pid=486&st=0&#entry486) in a couple hours. My racing buddies are turning Kawi green with envy. Destry is one of Kawi's factory pro off-road racers. This is his bike, and the only race it's seen was the Las Vegas endurocross in November.

2-Stroke is the way to go for off-road competitiveness. 4--Strokers make wonderful caual trail bikes though.

BTW, I know a guy with nice 2001 CR500R (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=475335&highlight=Honda+2001) for sale. ;)

Gore-
Your buddies don't have to ride or repair your rig, you do. Name some of the models you want and how yer gonna use 'em and I'll help ya narrow the choices down.

Rosey
01-05-2006, 16:42
I bought this last night. It's gonna be an all-purpose bike; everything from running around town to dune riding. :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P1010018.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P1010017.jpg

epsylum
01-05-2006, 16:55
My brother really likes them XR 650s (actually all the big bore XRs). He was a motorcycle mechanic at the biggest dealership in Indiana for 5 years and was the senior tech before he left. They sold all of the big 4 there and he has ridden them all, so he knows what the competition is.

Get what you want. As I said before, they are all putting out good stuff.

Tc300mag1
01-05-2006, 17:03
ive alwyas had better luck with yamaha myself.. Where as my buddie with honda

fnfalman
01-05-2006, 18:26
Get a KTM so that you can brag that your bike is better than theirs.;a

shark_za
01-06-2006, 01:03
You didnt ask about beginner offroad bikes, but DaisyCutter is spot on, the KDX200 is really well priced (In South Africa at least) and tough as nails.
Put on a performance pipe and it will run well, in our national offroad series the 200 class is competed quite evenly between KDX200 and KTM 200 EXC riders.

Another starter bike to look out for if you are medium build if the Honda CRF230F , its a modern frame with an old XR 200 air cooled engine slapped into it.
Also bullet proof.

Cobray_M11
01-07-2006, 15:16
We all could give you better advice if we knew what size bike your looking at, and what type of riding (off road, motocross, desert, all of them). I'm partial to KTM's and Honda's. If riding just off road, you cant go wrong with a KTM. If motocross, I would get a crf250R or crf450R. I Must say I have had plenty of FUN on a honda crf230 when my wife had one. She was always telling me to stop riding it!

Just my worthless 2 cents.

RMTactical
01-07-2006, 21:24
Well, I was just asking what your guys' preference was more than anything... Unless EVERY SINGLE person on here said that Yamaha makes the unequivically better bike, I probably wasn't gonna be swayed.

At any rate, I convinced my brother to buy an '05 Honda CRF450X. So, I will test out his bike and see how I like it... Having seen it and merely riding it around the block... I think I'm gonna like it, A LOT!! :)

DaisyCutter
01-07-2006, 23:23
Before you buy the CRF450X, pick it up (literally), and then pick up a KTM 450XC. I was looking at new bikes earlier this week (before I bought Destry's), and though both have a claimed weight of 250 lbs.... I could barely get the Honda off the ground. Honda's scale must be broken??

BTW, the KTM comes with a juice clutch, X-ring chain, wave rotors, externally adjustable fork preload, trick anti stiction fork coating, and IMO better overall components.

I also like the threaded valve adjusters on the KTM versus the shim under bucket valve adjustments that the Honda has.

However, several people have been scoring 2005 CRF450Xs for as little as $5200 OTD. That would sway me, since current year models are approximately $7500 MSRP.

The KTM 450XC was my second choice for a new bike, with the 250SX being my first (the racers like the lighter bikes).

CRF450X-
http://powersports.honda.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/Motorcycles/2006/small/CRF450X.jpg

450XC-
http://www.ktmusa.com/EN/images/450_XC_klein.jpg

250SX-
http://www.ktmusa.com/EN/images/250-SX.jpg

RugerFan58
01-08-2006, 10:11
Originally posted by Rosey
I bought this last night. It's gonna be an all-purpose bike; everything from running around town to dune riding. :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P1010018.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/gpracer2500/P1010017.jpg Is that a street legal bike in your state? Alot of states make you have a certain size brake lights and blinkers before you can get an inspection sticker. I'd love to get one to hit all the old logging roads near my house in Maine.;c

Rinspeed
01-08-2006, 11:14
Originally posted by RugerFan58
Is that a street legal bike in your state? Alot of states make you have a certain size brake lights and blinkers before you can get an inspection sticker. I'd love to get one to hit all the old logging roads near my house in Maine.;c

Not sure what Rosey is planning but you can buy a kit to make the XR street legal. The kit is right around $500. My next bike will probably the XR400 with this kit.

DaisyCutter
01-08-2006, 12:34
The XR650 pictured is the R model, which isn't street legal in showroom form, but it's considerably more advanced then the XR650L street legal version. This is why going to the trouble to make the XR650R street legal is desireable for many.

Rosey
01-08-2006, 16:50
Originally posted by RugerFan58
Is that a street legal bike in your state? Alot of states make you have a certain size brake lights and blinkers before you can get an inspection sticker. I'd love to get one to hit all the old logging roads near my house in Maine.;c

Here in AZ I'll need to add a brake light switch, one mirror, and a horn (bicycle horn will suffice) before the MVD will give me a plate. I did this on an XR400 several years ago.

I'll add more than the minimum, eventually. Probably an electric horn, super low profile turn signals (Acerbis makes some handguards with built in signals--very slick), switchgear, upgraded headlight, keyed ignition, and such. The minimum equipment won't be satisfactory for me if I end up riding it on the street every day. I don't even think a headlight is required for day riding in AZ...

RugerFan58
01-08-2006, 17:42
Originally posted by Rosey
Here in AZ I'll need to add a brake light switch, one mirror, and a horn (bicycle horn will suffice) before the MVD will give me a plate. I did this on an XR400 several years ago.

I'll add more than the minimum, eventually. Probably an electric horn, super low profile turn signals (Acerbis makes some handguards with built in signals--very slick), switchgear, upgraded headlight, keyed ignition, and such. The minimum equipment won't be satisfactory for me if I end up riding it on the street every day. I don't even think a headlight is required for day riding in AZ... Thanks, looks like it'll be a nice bike. I'd like one too.;c

MSU
01-16-2006, 11:40
Originally posted by GoreLicks
Well, I was just asking what your guys' preference was more than anything... Unless EVERY SINGLE person on here said that Yamaha makes the unequivically better bike, I probably wasn't gonna be swayed.

At any rate, I convinced my brother to buy an '05 Honda CRF450X. So, I will test out his bike and see how I like it... Having seen it and merely riding it around the block... I think I'm gonna like it, A LOT!! :)

it's a great bike. i ride a CR250, and my brother rides a CRF450X. the 450 is smooth and powerful... a great trail bike. and yes, the happy button makes life so very nice!! ;f

BNSF
01-17-2006, 21:16
Have you looked at the KLRs??