EDC (Every Day Carry) Philosophy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EDC (Every Day Carry) Philosophy

Punisher_nbi45
01-04-2006, 08:01
Hello everybody,

I wish to start this thread as an off shoot of one of the threads I read at BOG.

Some people have a tendency for knocking on people, things, or philosophies they don't understand. Particularly, a lot of people knock on those of us who carry our knives, batons, flashlights, handguns, etc. as if we were "warfreaks" or "just looking for trouble".

After reading the post, it got me to thinking. One of the things I thought about was that people will always have their opinions , whether good or bad, and it's up to us to use these opinions constructively to better ourselves.

I have lived part of my life overseas (I've served in the USMC). As such, my PARTICULAR experiences in life have shaped the way I view my surroundings and the way I conduct myself day in and day out.

As an LEO, I always hope and pray that I don't get into situations that I can't handle and that I go home safe each and every night after a long, hard day at work. In some instances, days can be long and boring, at other times, fantastic and adrenaline-filled.

I carry what I carry because even though I am usually faced with uneventful days, I want to be secure in the knowledge that I have the proper tools with me in case the situation does go to sH!*t! Believe me, there are days when I wish I wasn't carrying so much gear because it sometimes gets in the way, especially since I don't do a good job of hiding everything (because of my size). However, as the old saying goes, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and don't have it."

This is the reason I carry a handgun, a rifle (in the car), a knife, a multi-tool, a back-up knife, and a flashlight. On special occassions, I carry even more equipment as what is dictated by our current endeavor.

This is also the reason I spend my hard-earned cash on the best gear I can buy. In my case, there are things that the government doesn't issue but which I feel I need. If they do issue a particular piece of equipment, it may not be up to MY standards.

With regards to equipment, your mileage may vary. But if you do feel the need to carry some essential items, don't be ashamed and feel free to do so. In the world that we live in now, it's sometimes hard to not carry. Peace, although much desired, is rarely achieved because a lot of other people just want to put you down and keep you down. However, there is a caveat : Carry what you want but carry and use it legally, i.e., make sure that a) you can legally carry it; and b) you only use it as a last resort if other, less violent means of de-escalating the situation have not met with success (this applies especially to guns).

Am I out to prove a particular point with this thread? Not really, just giving my 2 cents worth!:)

batangueno
01-04-2006, 08:14
^6

Unfortunately, even though we would want to carry as much gear that you have mentioned, we are not able to due to legalities.

Stay safe. :)

3kings
01-04-2006, 08:23
much as i would like to carry, i cant coz i dont have the proper permit to carry outside residence.

i would like to carry this instead...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/a3kings/milliondollars.jpg

cheers!

Alexii
01-04-2006, 08:25
Good post, Punisher.

Like what batangueno said, it would be ideal for us to carry all the gear we want but there are some legal restrictions that stop us from doing so.

As for my gear-- the OC spray and Surefire can virtually go anywhere with me; Spyderco in some places; neck knife in most places; and handguns...hmmmm;).

PMMA97
01-04-2006, 08:31
I also know some LEO from the NBI and they usually carry those things that you mentioned including Galils and Shotguns on their trunk. As for policemen that I know, only some of them have the means to own an arsenal.

Punisher, do you need to secure the necessary permits/papers for those extra firearms? Or does it comes as a "perk"?

Punisher_nbi45
01-04-2006, 12:06
PMMA97,

It's SOP for us to secure the additional permits need to be secured for legal reasons.

If I weren't in the profession I am in right now, I'd probably still be carrying my flashlight. I would also like to carry mace. The thing that makes concealed carry difficult is because if you really want to be prepared, you'd need to carry a lot of stuff.

Right now, I'm working on a carrying system for all my gear. Sort of like a tactical / "bug-out" bag.

BTW, any of you BOGs know where to get a decent-priced vest / body armor? I don't have one and I'm shopping around for the value-packed one.

It's really, really hard to spend one's own money on fine gear. And I'm also a gear head so there's the impulse buying factor to think about.;z

PMMA97
01-04-2006, 15:37
Originally posted by Punisher_nbi45
PMMA97,

It's SOP for us to secure the additional permits need to be secured for legal reasons.

If I weren't in the profession I am in right now, I'd probably still be carrying my flashlight. I would also like to carry mace. The thing that makes concealed carry difficult is because if you really want to be prepared, you'd need to carry a lot of stuff.

Right now, I'm working on a carrying system for all my gear. Sort of like a tactical / "bug-out" bag.

BTW, any of you BOGs know where to get a decent-priced vest / body armor? I don't have one and I'm shopping around for the value-packed one.

It's really, really hard to spend one's own money on fine gear. And I'm also a gear head so there's the impulse buying factor to think about.;z

Thanks for the answers. I think Sir Jerrytrini is selling his Second Chance armor. He should be in town this January. Stay safe out there.

isuzu
01-04-2006, 18:32
"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and don't have it."

Very true, indeed! When I was still in the Philippines, I carried a gun out of necessity. I almost always travelled alone, leaving my home very early in the morning, going to the farms, and almost always going home late at night.

I was always praying, though, that I wouldn't have to ever use it.

A problem arises when a person has a mindset that because he or she carries a firearm, the they can act superior against another.

I've always regarded firearms as tools.

Good post, Punisher!

mikey177
01-04-2006, 18:47
It is also important to keep a low profile even when one is carrying. For me, the less people who know about whatever "gadgets" I have on my person, the better. Thus, when in a movie theater, I use my Inova microlight instead of my Surefire; when someone needs to have a length of rope or some thread cut, I use my harmless-looking Swiss tool instead of my partially serrated Spyderco.

Blend in, and try not to ruffle the feathers of friends and acquaintances who don't have the same mindset as we do.

cznayr
01-04-2006, 20:08
Originally posted by isuzu

A problem arises when an person has a mindset that because he or she carries a firearm, they can act superior against another.

That's is also true with wealth and power.

flickserve
01-04-2006, 20:42
I live in Urban Manila, and everyday that you step out of your house is like going to a maze with hazards left and right. So as what the famous saying goes, "better to have it and not use it than not having it when you need it", I carry a G27 with 11+1 rounds everyday of my life in my pocket.

Never used and and I do not wish to use it. But if circumstances arise that I need to draw, I will not hesitate.

Just my 2 cents...

I embrace the EDC Philosophy...

Chie
01-04-2006, 21:12
I would not be packing a piece if i feel that I would be safe. Nowadays it's not just the prominent people that are being targeted by criminals, even ordinary working citizens like most of us are quick becoming targets as long as criminals think that they can make a quick buck.

I really dont give a rat's *** what stereotype people think, that if I pack a piece (discreetly) is that I am a war freak! Or if they think that I'm a show off just because I own a gun! As you fellas say "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and don't have it." Hey! It's my *** at stake!

And for back up, a benchmade 831 :)

toxic
01-04-2006, 23:42
Punisher_nb145 try this company
http://saferphilippines.com/index.htm
they got the 3daypack backpack and vest, dont know if they have the heavy type body armour/plate in vest.
or better yet check out the upcoming gunshow next week at SM megamall
http://www.tradeshow.com.ph/events-defense/details.html

Its a jungle out there, Stay Safe.

Punisher_nbi45
01-05-2006, 09:18
:)

Thanks for responding to this thread, guys!

This is one of the reasons why I'm in BOGs. The various perspectives that appear in this forum prove to be very informative and delightfully thought-provoking!

Keep it up and stay safe, everybody!:)

isuzu
01-05-2006, 18:26
Originally posted by flickserve
I live in Urban Manila, and everyday that you step out of your house is like going to a maze with hazards left and right. So as what the famous saying goes, "better to have it and not use it than not having it when you need it", I carry a G27 with 11+1 rounds everyday of my life in my pocket.

Never used and and I do not wish to use it. But if circumstances arise that I need to draw, I will not hesitate.

Just my 2 cents...

I embrace the EDC Philosophy...

How does it shoot, Flickserve? Heard my father in law might give me his G27 when I go home for a vacation. Do your magazines have mag extensions? If yes, what brand?

Thanks!

flickserve
01-05-2006, 18:48
Lucky you. Mine I have to buy using my own sweat and blood.

It shoots quite well. The recoil is unexpectedly magnificent. Mayde due to the dual size spring design.

For CCW I use the original 9 magazine. As a backup I also have the out of the box 11 magazine. All bought from Trust Trade.

Coming from shooting 45's, groupings with 40's is way much easier.

Just my 2 cents...

royal glockster
01-06-2006, 18:09
good post punisher! if i were you, i will do same. I will carry all the necesarry stuff because of that kind of profession. As for me, i just carry in my car a tear gas (sana di pa expired), a taclight and a 6-inch knife which unfortunately was confiscated in a checkpoint (buti na lang di ako kinasuhan).

I plan to carry firearm someday and my choices trimmed down to either g30 or colt officer. For now, i have 3 full-sized pistols which i found too big for carry. Besides, talagang mahal talaga ang PTC kaya PTT na lang ako for shooting purposes. BTW, do you know Atty. Joseph F.? He was with the NBI till 2001 but he's now with us as our Branch atty. in Zamboanga. Stay safe Mr. Punisher!

mikey177
01-08-2006, 05:05
Originally posted by royal glockster
As for me, i just carry in my car a tear gas (sana di pa expired), a taclight and a 6-inch knife which unfortunately was confiscated in a checkpoint (buti na lang di ako kinasuhan).

The expiry date for tear gas in usually indicated on the product's package or on the can itself.

P.S.

If it won't get you into trouble, could you provide some details of the incident regarding the confiscation of your knife. Was it a vehicle checkpoint, or were you frisked upon entering a mall or other building?

royal glockster
01-10-2006, 05:40
Originally posted by mikey177
The expiry date for tear gas in usually indicated on the product's package or on the can itself.

P.S.

If it won't get you into trouble, could you provide some details of the incident regarding the confiscation of your knife. Was it a vehicle checkpoint, or were you frisked upon entering a mall or other building?

The tear gas brand is BROnco. It is wrapped with black synthetic leatherette with safety snap and cap on it. I have to look yet the markings of the cannister as to its expiry date. Tried it to a dog, its effective.

Yes, the knife was confiscated in a vehicle checkpoint upon entry to the centennial airport. Good enough! blue guards are the ones manning the checkpoint. It's my negligence actually because the knife is visible upon opening of my car's door, driver side. I put it in a door's pocket for easy access just in case. My bad really, they spotted it immediately and got my driver's license for identification. Pleaded with them not to endorse this incident with the police for i might be in trouble (kutong!!!?) They replied that they need my identity for their routine report. They let my go afterwards. It was a knife normally used by "matadors", very sharp indeed. Bought it from a Batangueno who regularly sells his bladed products in our subdivision. Will not bring that kind of knife in my car again. Plan to buy a reputable blade this coming gunshow though.

mikey177
01-10-2006, 21:20
Thanks for the info, royal glockster.

I wonder how the guards at the airport checkpoint will react when they see the bolo in my car ;f

It's in the trunk, of course, and I really need it as I live in a "bukid."

Punisher_nbi45
01-15-2006, 02:08
royal glockster,

sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the person you mentioned although I may know him if I see him.

Thanks and regards to you and your family! Stay safe also!