Chicken/Smart [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chicken/Smart

okie
01-05-2006, 03:09
Well I guess I am kinda chicken kinda smart. I am receiving an inheritance and I had planned on buying a bike. I had talked to a bunch of local riders and was deciding what bike I should get. I mentioned to a couple of people that I had slow reflexes and reaction times. Several people told me that would put me at a high risk for
an accident. So I have decided not to get a bike. Sure would be fun though;1 ;1 ;1 ;Z

RMTactical
01-05-2006, 05:42
Buy a nice 1911! ;)

2cats
01-05-2006, 11:10
What makes you say you have slow reflexes and reaction times?

fnfalman
01-05-2006, 11:40
Invest $200 or so into an MSF basic riding course and see whether or not you have the facilities to ride a bike.

okie
01-05-2006, 11:41
Originally posted by 2cats
What makes you say you have slow reflexes and reaction times? I can't play video games worth a crap and I have done recation time tests and didn't do good at all;P

okie
01-05-2006, 11:42
Originally posted by fnfalman
Invest $200 or so into an MSF basic riding course and see whether or not you have the facilities to ride a bike. It's to late now. I already bought this;) :cool:

BikerRN
01-05-2006, 17:04
Scrounge, beg, boorow or steal the $200 and take the MSF course.

Reaction time is relative. I'm not the quickest rider, but I use my eyes to see what is going on around me and the more time you have to see something the longer you have to react.

Do the course, riding beats a cage any day. :)

fnfalman
01-05-2006, 18:24
It's never too late to get rid of the Dodge and buy a motorcycle. Besides, why do you need "lightning" reflexes? It's not like you're trying out for World SuperBike championship. All you need is to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Like BikerRN said, be alert of your environment and you don't have to worry about dodging anything at a moment's notice.

epsylum
01-05-2006, 20:12
At least take the MSF course and find out if you are up to it. Can't get too hurt there.

I think if you can drive a manual transmission car or truck safely, you are capable to ride a bike.

As for awareness, I find I have a lot more awareness on a bike due to the total lack of vision obstction. Plus you don't have things like radios and other people talking to distract you (well unless you are a Goldwing rider ;) ).

You only have one life man, do everything you want to do.

DaisyCutter
01-05-2006, 21:48
Be careful no to develop a false sense of security by taking an MSF course. While the course is valuable, the actual learning curve for riding a streetbike is steep and dangerous. A few people don't make it. Most people get by on some degree of luck.

I had to give up the street riding. It was fun, I had fast 1200, the streets were my playground... But just like Russian Roulette, I knew what the eventuality would have been for me. I still do my dirt riding/racing. You got a truck now... Get a fun dirtbike for the bed. The risk for injury is still prevalent, but the chances for permanent injury are significantly less.

epsylum
01-05-2006, 23:09
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
Be careful no to develop a false sense of security by taking an MSF course. While the course is valuable, the actual learning curve for riding a streetbike is steep and dangerous. A few people don't make it. Most people get by on some degree of luck.

I had to give up the street riding. It was fun, I had fast 1200, the streets were my playground... But just like Russian Roulette, I knew what the eventuality would have been for me. I still do my dirt riding/racing. You got a truck now... Get a fun dirtbike for the bed. The risk for injury is still prevalent, but the chances for permanent injury are significantly less.

Tell that to my brother's buddy. He gave up his R6 just for that reason and got a dirtbike. He had it for like a month and wrecked it. Let's just say after multiple surgeries and a couple years, he can finally walk again. He can't bend his ankle at all, however and they had to take pieces of bone from other parts of his body to re-make his ankle. He went back to street bikes.

Basically, they are both dangerous. One you have to worry about traffic, the other you have to worry about the very random natural surroundings.

It's kind of funny. I have noticed (not just here, but in general) all the hardcore dirtbike guys think streetbikes are dangerous and the hardcore streetbike guys think dirtbikes are dangerous. The truth lies somewhere in between. ;)

DaisyCutter
01-05-2006, 23:44
It's true I've been injured more in the dirt, but who's to know how I'd be if I were still riding the streetbike.

Getting injured within the first month is consistent with the steep learning curve. I hate hearing about the traumatic injuries, the severity of the damage in your brother's buddies case makes me suspect it was a jumping related injury.

A persons attitude toward riding influences their susceptibility to injury. I realized my attitude wasn't appropriate for the street. Luckily all I have to show for it is 5000 miles of pure bliss, and no injury. I figure I quit while I was ahead.

In general I feel that dirt riding is safer since the bikes are usually moving slower and wrecking is usually not a big deal. On the street, any flop is gonna be bad. Plus you're moving fast and nearly every housewife wants to run you down with a 7000 lb F-250.

Good points epsy.

okie
01-06-2006, 07:10
why do you need "lightning" reflexes? Don't you need lightning fast reflexes if someone pulls out in front of you^8

okie
01-06-2006, 07:13
There is an MSF coarse in Tulsa this spring I may just enroll;) :cool:
BTW I have driven LOTS of stick shift vehicles in my day ;) :cool:

DaisyCutter
01-06-2006, 08:15
Originally posted by okie
Don't you need lightning fast reflexes if someone pulls out in front of you^8

Not necessarily.

You gotta account for every eventuality ahead of time, and anticipate the future path of every car/pedestrian/debris within your vicinity. This is how nearly 40-year-old men on Euro-trash bikes manage to keep riding so long.

Experience also develops a rider's ability to make emergency manuevers in a highly controlled manner, without panic, freezing up, stabbing the brakes, jerky reactions, or laying the bike down. There's been times I've known for a fact I was about to get seriously hurt, yet an experienced rider is compelled not to give up even with the knowledge of the odds. Quite often an experienced rider can pull a rabbit outa their hat, and that's what delineates a novice from a veteran.

Lightning reflexes account for very little if you ride a motorcycle using the same mindset that a typical auto driver uses.

BikerRN
01-06-2006, 12:42
I'm a 40 y/o man and I ride almost daily. Soon it will be daily since the bike will become my work vehicle. Last year I did 12,000 miles on a motorcycle, and that doesn't include the almost 10,000 I put in a cage.

Trust me, I'm one of the slowest reacting people out there. If I was standing 20 feet from you and you threw a ball at me it would hit me before I could move out of the way, even with plenty of warning. Don't even get me started on trying to catch that same ball. You'd have better luck getting my dog to sing Johnny Cash songs. ;)

Take the MSF course and then get some time riding.

fnfalman
01-06-2006, 15:55
I put 21,000-miles on the mean streets of Southern California in the last ten months. The traffic is probably as bad as it gets both on the freeway and on the streets. I've had two close calls but I was ready for them. Most "Holy Sh&t!!!" to other riders are just irritants to me because when I'm on my bike, I'm 110% alert. I see cars and trucks doing stupid stuff even before they can get to me. I don't follow them close enough so that their negligent movements would constitute an emergency for me.

If you can't see a car that's pulling out in front of you then YOU are doing something wrong. SEE - Search, Evaluate, Escape.

There was one time where I had to resort to "lightning quick reflex" to avoid a car that changed lane and that was because I WAS STUPID!!! I rode too fast trying to keep up with a group in heavy traffic.

When you ride in a reasonable manner with total alertness, there won't be any oops or moments of terror because you would have seen them coming.

DaisyCutter
01-06-2006, 17:05
This is how nearly 40-year-old men on Euro-trash bikes manage to keep riding so long.

FNFalman, for the record I was trying to pay you a compliment with that one.

epsylum
01-06-2006, 17:20
A persons attitude toward riding influences their susceptibility to injury.

I would say that sums it up.

My brother's buddy who go in the accident is VERY aggressive. He and my brother whave done flat out on thier bikes all the way across town on the highway (my brother has a GSXR-1100 and he had an R6), tach pinned in top gear on public streets. That was why he wanted to switch to dirt. As he put it "there are no speed limits off-road". I guess he found out nature tends to "limit" you in other ways.

fnfalman
01-06-2006, 19:10
FNFalman, for the record I was trying to pay you a compliment with that one.

Oh, gee, thanks, that's a funny way of giving me a compliment. I'm only 28 (at least that's what I tell the chicks), damn you!;e

DaisyCutter
01-06-2006, 20:31
Feel free to give or take a decade. ;)

major
01-12-2006, 07:24
Nice truck pic!!!!

klmmicro
01-12-2006, 07:55
Originally posted by GoreLicks
Buy a nice 1911! ;)

That would be about the same as buying an HD, on a technology scale anyway. Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's pricing (JUST KIDDING!!!)

I have been riding for 30 years and I am only 38. I started on dirt bikes and worked my way up. I have known a countless number of riders and one thing has become clear over the years to me. It is not the "slow" rider that gets in the accident. They do not "override" and pay attention to their surroundings. It is the rider that is racing around and pushing the envelope all the time that finds the pavement and car most of the time. The rider that is slow and methodical is the one without the scrapes, breaks and bruises.

okie, I applaud you for having enough judgement to decide that maybe biking is not for you. On the other hand, know that you can be just as safe as anyone out there by learning how to keep clear of the attitude and action that leads to a lot of accidents.

fnfalman
01-12-2006, 10:28
I disagree somewhat. A "slow" rider would get his or her ass in a jam because they get boxed in. Overly cautious is almost as bad as reckless riding.

A good rider is a smart rider who knows when to slow down and when to speed up in order to maintain separation from the cagers.

And naturally everybody must know his limitations, but in this case, he "thinks" that he doesn't have the ability to ride a motorcycle safely. He wouldn't know until at least giving it a go with the MSF training course, or one of those Harley new rider training course.

klmmicro
01-12-2006, 10:42
I disagree somewhat. A "slow" rider would get his or her ass in a jam because they get boxed in. Overly cautious is almost as bad as reckless riding.

A good rider is a smart rider who knows when to slow down and when to speed up in order to maintain separation from the cagers.

And naturally everybody must know his limitations, but in this case, he "thinks" that he doesn't have the ability to ride a motorcycle safely. He wouldn't know until at least giving it a go with the MSF training course, or one of those Harley new rider training course.

Okay, with that I can agree. Those courses can be great fun without having to subject yourself to traffic. They teach skills that have real world application in a controlled setting. I have two friends here at work that went through the local MSF course just for the fun of it. They do not even own bikes, but were thinking about it. Worse thing that can happen is you decide it is not for you and walk away after an educational afternoon.

Still, I was not referring to "slow" as in speed of vehicle, but more to the side of attentive and conciencious (sp?) thinking. Taking the time to see what is happening around you helps protect you from the cagers.

BikerRN
01-12-2006, 16:47
OK, just to give an example of expirience vs newbie.

45 MPH road, curve recommended at 30 MPH with a yellow caution sign. Expirienced Rider, not scraping knees or anything, enters at 50 MPH. Asphalt gravel in the curve.

Expirienced Rider: Holds his line and looks through the curve knowing that he can't straighten the bike up or he will run off the road. The gravel wasn't seen until commited to the corner. He also can't slow down because this would "upset" the suspension, nor can he back off the throttle because this too would "unsettle" the suspension. So what does the Expirienced Rider do? As I said in the beginning, looks through the curve and holds his line while staying steady on the throttle so as to not "upset" the bike.

Newbie enters same corner following expirienced rider. What does Newbie do?

Panics and looks at the gravel while straightening up the bike and hauling down on the bikes. Result, runs off road into a guardrail. The bike will see you through the turns if you trust it and let it do what it is supposed to do. The difference between expirience and newbie is that the expirienced rider will look where he wants to go. The newbie will look at where he doesn't want to go.

Markcuda
01-14-2006, 07:56
It's to late now. I already bought this
Then you never really wanted a bike to begine with;P
"Lets see, a Dodge Ram or a bike";P