Putting wireless access in an office [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Putting wireless access in an office

darin2
01-05-2006, 21:37
I have a medium size office which has a LAN. I want to plug some type of wirless device into the network that will broadcast a wireless signal so that I can access the LAN from anywhere in the building with a laptop. Any help is appreciated.

Darin

fastvfr
01-07-2006, 19:54
Too simple!

Get a Wireless NIC and install it into a PCI slot if you want to go Ad Hoc--PC to laptop -OR-

Get a Wireless Router; you just run the LAN cable to it and then cable the PC to the router. Essentially, you splice the WR in between the ISP and the main network.

The wireless signal will then be available to anyone in range with a 802.11-capable machine...

Security is the 'tough' part, but only because the setup is so simple.

PlanForTheWorst
01-07-2006, 20:10
And then.. move up to wireless at your house. Most times since a lot of people going wireless nowadays don't even set up a secure connection, you can hop right your neighbor's wireless network. I have 5 to choose from if mine ever goes down ;)

It's not as good of a connection though, which is why i haven't cancelled mine yet :(

ngray
01-09-2006, 12:16
Simple security Advice:

Start with 128-bit WEP security. Make sure you can get that to work.

WEP is vulnerable though, and you might be able to use one of the other security options (varies from router to router) available, such as WPA. If you can get that running, even better.