Weird MSPaint Problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weird MSPaint Problem

Toyman
01-06-2006, 11:09
This is a strange one. Whenever I try to open or save in MSPaint, the application closes. It doesn't prompt to save or anything, it just goes away.

Basically, It's having a problem with common dialogs.

Attempting to do a "Print..." causes a crash, apparently in NTDLL.DLL.

Info: Windows XP, just updated this morning with all patches.

Problem started before this.

RaiderRodney
01-06-2006, 11:34
Hmm...have you tried doing a rollback from system restore?

Toyman
01-06-2006, 12:00
No, the last time I did a system restore I got screwed. I've narrowed it down to something that is trying to load without proper permissions, but that's still a long ways off.

fastvfr
01-07-2006, 19:45
Open Task Manager> Processes and tell me how many you have running, or, better yet, do a screenshot (GIMP or IRFanView will allow this too) so I can see what's running.

Usually this is caused by a conflict between badly-written spyware and badly-incorporated M$ code.

It isn't hard to fix; at worst you'll get to run SFC.

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2006, 20:53
MS Paint Fix for those that can't 'Save As' JPG or GIF

http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#mspaint_fix

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2006, 21:12
It seems like installing or updating MS Office or MS word will change the the graphics filter settings.This removes the "save" option in MS Paint.There is a file available that will register your current graphic filters.(may be Microsoft Office Converter Pack).You may be able to fix it in MS Word setup or I think MS Office setup is the one you want.

Toyman
01-08-2006, 07:29
Fixed! Not sure what it was exactly, but I went and got the .NET update through Windows Update, and that seems to have fixed whatever was messed up.

Doing a REGMON during the operation indicated that paint got as far as looking into the FileExt part of the registry before it crapped out.