GM lowering prices, effective immediately [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GM lowering prices, effective immediately

Eagle78101
01-11-2006, 18:03
Apparently, they are knocking down prices on new (2006) automobiles across the board. Methinks GM is going to tank pretty soon....;P

Markcuda
01-11-2006, 18:05
They could give them away and I wouldn't take a GM:)

Buffering
01-11-2006, 18:20
Undoubtedly GM saw this day coming years ago with increased materials costs, climbing gas prices, the fed raising interest rates, soaring health costs and so forth. Since car manufacturers are designing four years, if not more, before introduction, GM realized that the current crop wasn't going to sell like hotcakes hence the need to move them at any price.

The real problem is that the dealers have to buy these cars and typically finance them through GMAC. Dealers know that Toyota, Honda and Nissan are moving vehicles and that's where the buying public hangs out. They aren't buying cars from GM to sell either because they don't want to tie up their own money with the purchases, insurance and so on.

GM continues to suffer and until they make drastic changes in their business model and do something besides slap on new chrome and a car and call it a "new model" they will suffer a cruel death at their own hand.

Ford is right behind them and IIRC, last week.their stock was downgraded to junk status. I think it was a lowered from junk to sub-junk.

Daimler-Chrysler is likewise having problems so. The Big 3 have been knocked off their perches and I don't think they're going to rebound in the next 2-4 years.

walkin' trails
01-11-2006, 21:14
I'm just currious if the next generation of Tahoe (think its supposed to be a 2007) will actually do over 20 miles per gallon as I've heard. I like reliable, full sized vehicles built on truck frames. I just don't like feeding them when the try to be overly overweight and thirsty.

Eagle78101
01-12-2006, 17:46
Originally posted by walkin' trails
I'm just currious if the next generation of Tahoe (think its supposed to be a 2007) will actually do over 20 miles per gallon as I've heard. I like reliable, full sized vehicles built on truck frames. I just don't like feeding them when the try to be overly overweight and thirsty.

Alas, you can't have it both ways. I love my current SUV and hope to get another, even though my fuel bills are horrible. I would be suspicious of any claim of 20+ mpg on a full sized vehicle.

DriBak
01-13-2006, 15:48
I thought the BIG THREE were doing absolutely great, Toyota, Honda and Nissan??;f

David N.
01-13-2006, 17:12
Originally posted by walkin' trails

Out as the '06 model now, I believe. GM concentrated on aero, and the engine is "displacement on demand." It's a V8 that deactivates 4 cylinders when it can. EPA mileage lists about 16/21 city/highway. Motor Trend has a test in their latest issue. I think they averaged 16.5 mpg during their testing, including acceleration tests and all. I'm not sure how reliable "displacement on demand" will be this time around, but at least they're trying.

fnfalman
01-13-2006, 17:40
Kaiser, Nash, DeSoto, Studebaker, Duesenberg, et al, have fallen due to one reason or another. Ford, GM and Daimler-Chrysler may probably do the same. Oh well, them's the breaks. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and complacency will get you killed.

epsylum
01-13-2006, 20:09
Originally posted by David N.
Out as the '06 model now, I believe. GM concentrated on aero, and the engine is "displacement on demand." It's a V8 that deactivates 4 cylinders when it can. EPA mileage lists about 16/21 city/highway. Motor Trend has a test in their latest issue. I think they averaged 16.5 mpg during their testing, including acceleration tests and all. I'm not sure how reliable "displacement on demand" will be this time around, but at least they're trying.

Those displacement chaning engines still have an 8-6-4 (or was it 4-6-8?) stigma to me. They always sound great at first. Then everyone finds out it's a POS that breaks all the time.

I will stick with just 4 that I KNOW will always be there for me.

As for fuel economy. Where are the small turboed engines? Diesels? both? Those are proven technologies that work and really bump up the MPG. Just look at the VW TDI. My dad's buddy has one and gets over 40mpg regularly. Not to mention it isn't really lacking in the power department either.

beavis1957
01-17-2006, 10:00
The '08 model Tahoe is supposed to have a full-on parallel hybrid version available.

It's not certain, but the rumors are that the city and hwy mileage will both be above 20.

If they pull this off, I'll be in line to buy one. Feeding my Z71 is NOT fun.

Asha'man
01-21-2006, 12:14
Once we get low-phosphorous diesel fuel in the next year or so, I think we'll be seeing some sweet diesels on the road. :) I know Ford has a ton of cool stuff in Europe that I would love to see here.

GM's $1500-per-car pension program isn't helping their costs any. That, plus the fact that everything they make save the Z06 is a fugly POS, pretty much has me convinced that they won't survive much longer.

Brian

spober
01-31-2006, 20:37
gm makes a few world betters.corvette for one.cadilac.until recently the ss cameros and trans ams.but then more of their line is crap!the GTO is suck a LOSER of a car.400 hp LS1 come on guys an engine to die for or by a corvette and you put it in a boring,looks like every other camera wana be,girls car at best.no gear heads gonna by that austrailian GTO .MAN THAT THING IS AWFUL LOOKING.LOOKS LIKE THE REAST OF THOSE PLASTIC NOSED PONTIACS.