Dobbs buys bike #2 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dobbs buys bike #2

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-13-2006, 19:49
I got a 1995 Honda CB750 (Nighthawk) yesterday. Garage kept, yadda yadda, it's really nice.

After putting about 5000mi on the Rebel 250 I bought last summer, I finally felt ready for something larger.

I am surprised how easy the big CB handles, just got to reach the left foot down about 4" lower when stopping. Might not be fast by todays standards, but to me the power is "awesome".

epsylum
01-13-2006, 19:57
Nighthawks are just good all around bikes. They do pretty much everything well, except off-roading ;).

My brother likes them a lot and he has worked on and ridden just about any model of Jap bike made in the past 20 years.

edited to add:

Unless you have regular passengers, I would ditch the back rest. They just look goofy, IMO. Other than that, it looks great.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-13-2006, 20:02
I agree the backrest looks out of place on the bike.

I was going to remove the backrest (I already removed the windshield and saddlebags), but the passenger "grab bars" on the backrest really helps me get it up onto the centerstand.

epsylum
01-13-2006, 20:24
Originally posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs
I agree the backrest looks out of place on the bike.

I was going to remove the backrest (I already removed the windshield and saddlebags), but the passenger "grab bars" on the backrest really helps me get it up onto the centerstand.

With practice, you won't need much arm strength. It's all in the technique. I just push down with my foot and and kinda rock the bike back mainly pulling on the bars and pusing with my hand on the seat. The last bike I did this on was my dad's Katana 1100, so the Nighthawk shouldn't be much of an issue.

Sorta like using a thumb stud on a pocket knife. Once you get the technique it's easy.

xrmattaz
01-13-2006, 20:26
:) Nothing like a good Honda. Change the oil/filter(s) and ride her forever.

I NEED to get another inline four. Anybody need an old Goose??

BikerRN
01-14-2006, 04:21
Congrats on the new bike!

There is nothing like bringing a new lady home. :) I wish you many happy trouble-free miles on your new mistress. May she glide down the road in peace and always keep her rubber side down and her metal side up.

You sound like someone that is moving up the power ladder on bikes in a sensible and practical way. Man, I will hate to see you in a couple of years on an R6, you will be unstoppable after having learned to ride on the smaller bikes first.

Take care and ride safe. ;c :)

fnfalman
01-16-2006, 10:34
Congrats on the bike. I rode the Nighthawk 250 during my MSF course. This is one of those innocuous but highly functional bikes. No fuss, no muss, just go.

As far as setting the bike on a center stand, just use your weight to your advantage and stand on it with a bit of help from the hand pulling up the bike.

Shinichi
01-16-2006, 16:37
Nice snag on the Honda.

A 750 standard type bike is the do-it-all in motorcycling.
Change the oil and enjoy it for a long time.

And,.....I like the back rest! good for chicks!, ease to strap stuff onto!

;f

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-17-2006, 10:03
Dang weather! I have only managed to ride it for a couple of hours so far, and it looks bad for the next two days. This must be what a junkie feels like when he needs a fix.

43mpg with the first tank, giving a 160mile range before reserve. However I have only barely touched the power band which comes on strong at 6000rpm, man it feels like a turbo kicking in :) time for this wimp to shift. The 8 year old tires have nearly full tread, but also some sidewall dry-rot, I'm taking it easy until I replace them.

The backrest is starting to grow on me, though my foot kicks it almost every time I swing a leg over. The luggage rack is too small to hold my "12-pack size" bike-bag for grocery duty, but it will hold a smaller bag, keeping it out of my way. I still can't get it up on the center-stand w/o the backrest's passenger grab-bars.

fnfalman
01-17-2006, 10:14
Just reach down and grab a handful of that rear frame. If you put your full weight on that center stand, you wouldn't need much help to get the bike up.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-17-2006, 10:43
Me ole' stinkin' back simply won't tolerate a "reach down and pull up hard while pushing down hard with one foot" maneuver.

The factory "bungee attach point" below the passenger seat/fender is about the highest frame point to grab, but is still too low for me to pull while pushing with my foot on the stand. The extra height of the backrest bars allows me to keep my back from the dreaded twisting motions during the maneuver.

The last time I threw out my back was simply pulling laundry out of a basket, took months to recover so I could sit comfortably again. But I could still ride, work, and carry 50+lb toolboxes, and work on machinery in contorted positions, with absolutely no problem, just couldn't lean back and relax. Go figure. This happens to me every couple of years so I am careful to avoid triggering it.

mmsig229
01-17-2006, 20:42
Nice standard. Put on a windshield, and bags, and you've got a tourer.

g29andy
01-17-2006, 22:11
Everyone is right regarding the centerstand. The first few times I used one, I was trying to lift the bike with my hand (hard).

Then I learned to push the stand down until one side of the stand touches down, then tip the bike up to vertical to touch down both sides of the stand. Then, put all your weight on the stand. The bike jumps up onto the centerstand with no lifting with the hand at all.

This worked even for my old heavy BMW K1200LTC.

But alas, all I have now is the "jiffy stand."

Shinichi
01-18-2006, 12:17
I'm in Duluth/Lawrenceville, where is Ducktown?

Today is a perfect riding day, you should develop a really bad stomach ache and leave the office RIGHT NOW!

;a

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-18-2006, 15:44
Thanks guys, I'll re-examine my center-stand technique and try your ideas.

Ducktown is Highway 20 right at the Forsyth/Cherokee County line. I did ride it for about an hour today (brrrrrr).

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-18-2006, 18:12
Originally posted by lovette
push the stand down until one side of the stand touches down, then tip the bike up to vertical to touch down both sides of the stand. Then, put all your weight on the stand. The bike jumps up onto the centerstand with no lifting with the hand at all.

OMG, that works so well!! Thank you for posting that technique.

I was lifting the danged thing up completely by hand before, it took alot of strength. This way is so easy and requires no strength at all!

I'm glad the thread took this turn. I have removed the backrest and will try the bike "stock" for awhile, looks nicer to me.

g29andy
01-19-2006, 17:54
Glad it worked out for you. After a few times you realize you don't even need to lift up at all. Ride safe.;c