Selling your car question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selling your car question

hickok45
01-14-2006, 21:52
I haven't sold a car in a long time, and I may be selling my 2000 Camry. What's the best way to handle the transfer of registration? Just take off my tags and tell the buyer to handle it? It's totally his issue and expense?

I really can't allow a buyer to buy the car and drive off with my tags,right?

Appreciate any tips.

Thanks

NotAMonte86
01-15-2006, 08:21
Not sure if it's different where you live, but I assume it's the same. Here, you sign the title over, they give you money and you give them keys. Keep your tag and they must find a way to get it home and register it on their own.

GlockRat
01-15-2006, 09:02
It depends on your state. Here in Okiehoma you leave the tags on the car and they just keep them after transferring the title over into their name. I just paid mine in Dec, so the new owner won't pay the tags until next Dec.
My dad lives in KS and they keep the tags and use them on the next car they buy, just transfer them over to the new car when they go to the tag office.

Call you tag office and find out how your state does it.

GixxerSixxer
01-15-2006, 18:43
You keep the tags they get the Bill of Sale and the signed over Title.

If they get pulled over the cop will look at both papers and send them on their way. Happened to me when I bought my car. The funny thing was that I was driving it down to get the safety/emissions inspection done so that I could register it.

The DMV can also issue temp tags like you get with a new car but it increases the DMV hassle.

hickok45
02-04-2006, 06:54
Thanks, I called County Clerk and got it all straight for sales in TEnnessee.

Keep Tag
Write up own bill of sale-get both parties to sign

No problem.

Car sold quickly.