Swat 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Swat 4

Hando
01-14-2006, 22:02
Anyone play it?

I like it a lot. You cant just blaze through. It is pretty realistic. The BG are moving around and dont run towards you. You have to try and use less-than-lethal weapons. In fact, if you kill a suspect points get deducted. Also, you cannot shot them before they represent a threat (again, points are deducted).

You also have to command the other guys in team.

Drawbacks, the guys in your team are not very smart. If you use gas on one of the BG and he is not giving up, but just coughing, the other guys in team just sit there and do nothing. If you give them a lethal primary weapon, they will not try and use the secondary less-than-lethal weapon. They just sit there and shout at the guy to comply.

The team commands menu is not the most practical if you want to give them fast commands one after the other and are pretty limited.

But overall, I am enjoying it. As you can see from my explanation, there are a lot of features like different weapons, FMJ and HP rounds, less-than-lethal weapons, tazers and many other...

P.S. I didnt see a previous thread on the topic. Sorry, if it is a repeat.

funbob
01-15-2006, 00:53
I'm a big fan of the SWAT series. I still have SWAT 3 installed and play it from time to time. Regarding the AI, I've not experienced the problems with teamates you're describing. If anything, my team members are too trigger happy after employing CS, I have to try to keep them from shooting the suspect as they don't usually give them enough time to become compliant. Also, I have yet to see a team member use anything other than their primary weapon. Are you running the latest patch? The mouse driven menu command system is intuitive, but slower than the keyboard command system in SWAT 3. Fortunately, SWAT 4 offers a classic interface that mimics the SWAT 3 keyboard command system. This is much faster for me as I have all the SWAT 3 command keystrokes memorized and I can rapidly tap the keys much faster than navigating through the menus with the mouse. One feature that SWAT 4 lacks is the bullet physics system of SWAT 3. Anything will stop a bullet in SWAT 4. In SWAT 3, you had to be very aware of your cover as bullets could penetrate walls and other thin surfaces. This feature actually is coded into SWAT 4 but was never implemented in the default maps due to time constraints.

sts47
01-17-2006, 07:27
I liked the bullet penetration physics in S3 also, in the tutorial they lined up various materials, and you could se what it goes through

Although i think i played S4 mostly with the pepper gun, tear gas, oc and taser.

just wanted to get that 100% every time.

Play R6 mostly on PC now

8-Ball
01-24-2006, 12:45
I payed $50 for SWAT 4 the day it came out but I can't play it because my graphics card doesn't support "hardware and lighting transformation" or some crap like that. I loved SWAT 3 and it worked fine on my computer.

jthuang
02-07-2006, 10:03
Hmm, SWAT 4 is now down to $19.99 at Amazon. I loved SWAT 3 so I think I'll give SWAT 4 a try.