new tire/Icon helmet question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new tire/Icon helmet question

painkiller
01-16-2006, 00:51
well im looking to put some different tires on my R6.the stock dunlop 208's arent very confidence inspiring in my book.they are just plain awful.so i am looking for a tire that will hold up to day to day use,as well as see a few days of wet weather(northen cali winters can be a little wet sometimes) and maybe a track day or 2.i was thinking pirelli diablos(not corsa's or super corsa's,just plain ol' diablos)or michelin pilot power sports.would any of these hold up for all 3of the above conditions?or can anyone recommend me a tire that can?
I am also looking to hang up my old HJC,the lining is wearing out,so its time to junk it.i was looking at the Icon line and heard they run 1/4 size small for break in.the medium i wear felt extremly tight on my temples though,and didnt feel too good.The large on the other hand,was just about right but was a little roomy,not a whole lot of flop but enough for me to ask someone else for thier opinion.Do i buy a medium and suck it up or go for a large instead?any advice you can give me is helpful and i appreciate it.sorry for the long post BTW

BikerRN
01-16-2006, 09:48
As far as tires go, try the Pirelli Strada. It's a touring tire, but it gives good grip and is designed for day to day use. I use it on my Multistrada, and it does fine doing 35 MPH corners at 90.

I won't even attempt to answer the helmet question. I am not a helmet guru. Take care and keep it upright. ;c :)

fnfalman
01-16-2006, 10:20
I have the Diablos on my Tuono. They wear pretty well. The rear was replaced at 4200-miles with probably another 200-miles to go but I hate running on bald tire. The bike is at 6200-miles right now and the front (factory original) still looks good. I don't do burnouts or lay on the throttle heavy for acceleration though, so that's probably why my rear lasts that long. My average freeway cruising speed is around 85-mph. Any slower than that and the cagers would mow you over.

The Diablos are very good sporting tires with some track days pretention. They warm up quickly and stick really well. I think that after this set wears out, I would like to try the new Metzler Sportec M3. The old Sportec M1 still faired very well against the more current, more modern tires, so the M3 ought to be great.

I haven't ridden the Tuono in the rain (you don't think that I'd trust Italian electronics and electricals that far, do you?;e ), but my BMW originally came with the M1 and I rode it in the rain with total confidence. The Diablo is almost the same thing as the M1, so I would think that it fares well in the wet.

The Metzler Z6 and its cousin the Diablo Strada are also excellent sport touring tires. Stick well for the street and long lasting not to mention superb in the wet. But it's not sticky enough for the track though.

I've heard of rave reviews on the Michellin Pilot Sport and Pilot Road, but have no personal experiences with them.

I'm sticking with the Pirellis and Metzlers because I am familiar with their feels and have complaints about their performances and qualities.

Interestingly enough the Metzler Z6 Roadtec is more expensive than a lot of sporting tires and definitely more expensive than the Pirelli Diablo Strada. I figure that it's worth it though. I'm at 11,000-miles for the front and 6,000-miles for the rear with probably another 2000-miles left on the tread (eyeball approximation).

PS I don't know squat about Icon helmets but I personally wouldn't buy a helmet, regardless of brand, that doesn't fit my head. Don't get hung up on the brand. They all at least meet DOT standards. Get one that fits your head perfectly. Everything else is a bonus.

painkiller
01-16-2006, 13:41
i wasnt getting hung up on brand.i've tried out quite a few,shoei,arai,kbc and they dont feel that great.i'm shocked people pay $500 plus for an arai,it feels hard as a rock,what do they think its gonna feel like when they carsh with it?icon is DOT aproved.and maybe snell too.it just felt oh sooooo good minus snug fit for medium.

fnfalman
01-16-2006, 15:54
As far as why do people pay a lot for an Arai helmet, go to www.arai.com and look at the helmet that protected the rider's head when he crashed at 100-MPH plus. He broke a few things on his body but his noggin was intact.

There are literally two dozen different makers for helmets. Do the homework and shop around. Don't compromise with the fitment. You have HJC, Scorpion, Shark, Suomy, AGV, Bell, et al, to choose from as well. And then there are models within the same brand that are made for different types of head shapes.

NMGlocker
01-16-2006, 18:31
Originally posted by fnfalman
Interestingly enough the Metzler Z6 Roadtec is more expensive than a lot of sporting tires and definitely more expensive than the Pirelli Diablo Strada. I figure that it's worth it though. I'm at 11,000-miles for the front and 6,000-miles for the rear with probably another 2000-miles left on the tread (eyeball approximation).
I'm putting Metzeler Roadtec Z6's on my ZX10R this time around. I've read several reviews where they performed as well as full sport tires under hard street riding conditions, with a tremendous increase in mileage.
I ordered them Friday for $259 a set (190/50/17 rear and 120/70/17 front) delivered.
Here is a review of the Metzelers:
http://www.bikeland.org/articles/Diablo%20Strada%20and%20Roadtec%20Z6.pdf

fnfalman
01-16-2006, 18:42
With the Roadtec Z6, you have to push the bike really hard to tell the difference between it and a sporting tire. At full lean into a curve, if you change throttle inputs even a bit or maybe using the rear brake just a bit to trail brake, the tire will slide out a hair and give you some adrenaline rushes.;f

NMGlocker
01-16-2006, 21:54
I don't mind the rear stepping out (it's even fun to back it in and drift it out sometimes), as long as it's predictable and controllable.
:cool:

fnfalman
01-17-2006, 10:22
The rear doesn't step out much, but just a hair although that may be a characteristic of the BMW shaft drive as well. But yes, the sport touring tire scene had improved considerably.

BikerRN
01-22-2006, 08:43
Originally posted by NMGlocker
I'm putting Metzeler Roadtec Z6's on my ZX10R this time around. I've read several reviews where they performed as well as full sport tires under hard street riding conditions, with a tremendous increase in mileage.
I ordered them Friday for $259 a set (190/50/17 rear and 120/70/17 front) delivered.
Here is a review of the Metzelers:
http://www.bikeland.org/articles/Diablo%20Strada%20and%20Roadtec%20Z6.pdf

^6

The article confirms a lot that I already suspected and learned for myself after running the Pirelli Strada on my Multistrada. Thanks for the link.

BlackGunLover
01-27-2006, 08:23
I vote for the Bridgestone BT-014. I have a '98 Honda VTR1000F Super Hawk, it's a V-2, like the slower, carbed cousin of the RC51. I put this tire on and took it for a test drive to the gas station. While I was filling up it started raining (I love Orlando) so I figured good time to see how far out I could kick the new tire. Get out on the road, goose the throttle, and the damn bike starts to wheelie. Tell me another tire that will wheelie in the rain. I don't go to track days, but I do drag race sometimes at the track. Those Bridgestones lasted me over 8,000 miles and were confidence inspiring until they were bald. I ride aggressively on the street, and like I said occasionally drag race. I loved those tires, will buy them again in the future.

The Icon helmets are great from what I read. Buy the smaller one, it should break in. That's one of those safety things. Buy a smaller one and break it in or go with a different brand, but don't get a helmet that's too big because it won't protect your brain if you were to need it.

Abe