Test rode an R6 and a Ducati 996 this weekend [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Test rode an R6 and a Ducati 996 this weekend

fnfalman
01-16-2006, 16:17
A couple of guys that I rode with offered me their crotch rockets to try out. The R6 was 2004 with full Yoshimura system and tuned Power Commander, and the 996S had Ferrodo brake pads fitted coupled with Termignoni pipes.

First of all, I gotta say that thank God for the Aprilia Tuono!!!

My neck and back were hurting so bad after a mere 30-minutes on each of those bikes that I felt like I was a victim of the Spanish Inquisition. All that crouching over is for the dogs.:soap:

The Ducati is, well, a Ducati. Ride one, ride all. The dry clutch is either on or off. I like it. It's an easy transition from the Beemer which also has a dry clutch. Abundant torque from down low and revs quickly. The engine feels lumpier than the Aprilia's engine but otherwise feels similar in the power band department. The Ferrodo pads require some warming up before they stop chattering, and the rear brake was non-existent until it warms up and even then I don't think that I could have used it for trail braking. I wouldn't fit these pads on a street bike, personally speaking. Handling is superb. It's not nimble per se but very precise and direct. You think it and it happens. But ouch my back and my neck!!!

The R6 was a bit of a disappointment. I am not holding anything against the engine. I knew that it doesn't have the torque of a liter bike and that it's an I4, so I took that as what it is. The suspension was well set up (the rider weighed about the same as me). It reminds me of my Brutale at high speed - difficult to change directions. Maybe it's just me not feeling comfortable sprawling on the tank like that, but it seems like I need a lot of effort to lean the bike over.

What disappointed me the most was the transmission. The throw was extremely long. I kept hearing about how bad BMW tranny is (vague, clunky, et al) and how wonderful Japanese trannies are, and well, I ain't impressed. Maybe I need to go find another Japanese bike and try it out, but if this tranny is typical of the Rising Sun bikes, then I ain't too impressed.

I need to find somebody who would let me take a Jap liter bike around and compare. But I can see why Ducatis are highly prized with the sport riders. They are confidence inspiring. You feel like you know it right away. The learning curve seems to come quicker for me. Maybe it's because I'm used to the V-twin power delivery.

The only true conclusion I came away with is that the crotch rockets ain't for me. Maybe if I were to lose 40-lbs and beefed up on the physical exercise or something. But the humanity of it all, it was torture riding those things!!!;m

So now, I'm thinking what would happen if I were to get a 999 and fit it with bar risers and Renthal dirt bike bars, and yank off the plastics? Hmmm...

BikerRN
01-16-2006, 18:10
That's why I love the Ducati Multistrada.

It's nimble, quick and precise with the V-Twin power delivery, yet you don't splay yourself over the tank like a monkey trying to fornicate a football. ;)

I can't ride the lean over type sportbikes well due to a bad back, wife has the same problem only worse. The nice thing is, the Multistrada will handle like a sportbike but allow you to sit upright like a tourer.

Take care and ride safe. ;c :)

NMGlocker
01-16-2006, 18:21
Originally posted by fnfalman
I need to find somebody who would let me take a Jap liter bike around and compare.
If you are ever in central NM, or SE NM, let me know and you can give my '05 ZX10R and '06 ZX6R 636 a ride. In exchange for a ride on the Tuono or Brutale of course.
Don't worry about the ZX10's sportbike riding position. The acceleration will stretch any kinks out of your back.
;)

NMGlocker
01-16-2006, 18:22
So now, I'm thinking what would happen if I were to get a 999 and fit it with bar risers and Renthal dirt bike bars, and yank off the plastics? Hmmm...
Check out the new Ducati HyperMotard.
That thing looks like it would be a blast.
The KTM SuperDuke would be great as well.

Jake Mountain
01-16-2006, 20:20
I think you would find if you were to ride a new Suzuki GSX1000 that with a slight flick of the wrist you're riding position changes dramatically.;z

c5367
01-17-2006, 02:14
The ergos of the 996 are nowhere near those of the 749/999. It's like apples to oranges. I've done a number of 400 mile days on my 749R, and it wasn't that bad at all. Not quite as comfy as the Brutale, but not the torture rack the 996 is either. Terblanche is a bit more considerate of practical concerns like that than Tamburini. If you think the 996 was confidence inspiring, the new SBK's will amaze you.

If you want a straight up naked 999, check out the new Monster S4RS. 130hp/76 ft/lbs testastretta, V-Twin power delivery and öhlins front and back.

Monster S4Rs (http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2006/ducatiModel.jhtml?family=monster&modelName=MS4RS-06)

fnfalman
01-17-2006, 10:21
The SuperDuke has potentials because although it's a naked bike, the chassis and suspension are the match of any crotch rocket. The Monster S4R and S4RS have the engines of the superbikes but the chassis and suspension; though tweaked for more sportiness, are still naked street bikes.

So, I'm back to square one. If I were to want a high performance bike that's comfortable then I'm left with the Tuono as the sole alternative until the Super Duke comes (supposedly 2007 now).

The HyperMotard is a jazzed up Monster, so it's also out of the question and frankly if I were to want a supermoto I'd get a real one from KTM or the new Aprilia SVX.

And yes, the 999 isn't quite as bad as the 996. I've taken a regular 999 around a couple of times. It's more like the R6. Only my back hurts but my neck was OK.;g

mmsig229
01-17-2006, 20:47
When I was looking for a sport bike to keep my Softail company, I drooled over a blood red 900SS. They wouldn't budge on price, so a 2001 Honda 929RR followed me home. It has a full D&D exhaust, and a power commander too. Feel free to take it for a spin if you're in the neighborhood!!!!

BushyAR15
01-19-2006, 21:30
During my racing "career" we endurance raced many different bikes, including a 996 and an R6. So, I got to ride them at what they are really good at.

For my riding style, the R6 was a much better bike. I could carry more cornering speed. It was so easy to oversteer the bike as it went exactly where you "thought" it to go.

I also wanted to ride a Ducati 9 series at speed. Well, it was not what I thought. It took a bit to switch directions, it would spin up the rear tire coming out of the corners. I couldn't carry the cornering speed I could on the R6. The biggest problem I had was that the 996 would spin its tire coming out of the corners, seems I had to have it on its way upright before I could get back on the gas hard.

To this day even after also owning/racing an Aprilia RSVR, I think the R6 was the second best handling bike next to my TZ250....

BTW, others are correct, Sportbikes aren't really great for long distance rides especially when you are older like me :)

Also, I think since the R6 was not yours and not set-up for your weight, riding style, etc, it problem didn't handle as well as it could have.....

VWglocker
01-21-2006, 20:30

So, I'm back to square one. If I were to want a high performance bike that's comfortable then I'm left with the Tuono as the sole alternative until the Super Duke comes (supposedly 2007 now).

how about the FZ1?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/mcy/500/06FZ1_silver_1sized.jpg

fnfalman
01-23-2006, 10:30
The FZ1 is a very powerful sporty bike. But if one were to want a full-on sport bike with comfortable riding position, the Tuono is pretty much it until the SuperDuke coming over, if ever.

gixxer11
01-24-2006, 05:00
The FZ1 is a very powerful sporty bike. But if one were to want a full-on sport bike with comfortable riding position, the Tuono is pretty much it until the SuperDuke coming over, if ever.

Nah, it has nothing to do with that. Be honest, you wouldn't buy anything unless it was european. The FZ1, especially the new one, is plenty "sporting".

fnfalman
01-24-2006, 09:15
It's funny that you said that. While it's true that I prefer BMW and some sort of Italian bikes, I did get a ten minutes quickie on the FZ1 this last Sunday to make a short run up Mulholland Highway. It's sporty and it's fast, but there's no denying that it's also long and heavy as well.

I can think of one Japanese bike that I wouldn't mind owning except that it isn't available in the US - the unique Yamaha MT-01.

gixxer11
01-24-2006, 20:27
Oh don't get me wrong fn, you have very good taste!!! I would love to own anything you have in your garage. My uncle rides and drives BMW/Ducati (K1200, '92 900ss- the pretty one, M3), but those are completely out of my budget. My other uncle drives a '73? 2002 with all sorts of goodies on it. VERY COOL!

epsylum
01-24-2006, 20:31
Originally posted by VWglocker
how about the FZ1?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/mcy/500/06FZ1_silver_1sized.jpg

Man, I hate these new exhaust cans they are putting on the new bikes. If it isn't underseat, it looks like it came off some 1970s Cadillac. Awesome bikes, butt ugly pipes.

I still prefer the standard single side, highswept can.

Oh well, at least there is the aftermarket.

fnfalman
01-25-2006, 09:51
Those stubby undercans look fine in pictures but they look ugly in real life. They angle outward.

Compy
01-25-2006, 11:39
Those stubby undercans look fine in pictures but they look ugly in real life. They angle outward.

Doesn't stick out any more than your leg will.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/mcy/500/stu-mcy06-sb-10-027.jpg

fnfalman
01-25-2006, 12:17
I saw the can on the new R6 last night. It looks really odd. But whatever float people's boat. If they don't like it, I'm sure that there will soon be high-mounted aftermarket cans available.

Compy
01-26-2006, 20:00
My favorite approach to this so far is the new GSX-R 750. They put most of the muffler/cat under the bike while having a minimal shielded outlet just behind the pegs. Very functional and visually appealing.

http://www.robwillsher.com/2006/GSXR/GSXR750K6BW01A.jpg