best gloves for winter riding? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : best gloves for winter riding?

flybywire
01-16-2006, 23:19
What are the best gloves for riding in cold weather at highway speeds, hands exposed to the windstream?

Down to what temps?

I'll be riding a Road King with a windshield.

Thanks.

alwaysshootin
01-17-2006, 06:46
I would think anything designed for snowmobileing would work.

Three-Five-Seven
01-17-2006, 07:29
Gerbing electric gloves are the best way to go. They have a new model that is lower profile and has more resistive wires in it. You connect the harness directly to your battery and snake the lead out between the seat and the tank at the side of the bike.

They are expensive, but the best solution for comfort and safety. Easily work down to freezing! You'll get them eventually, so save the money you would piss away on other possiblilities and get the Gerbings to start with.

I used some mittens with heater packet pockets on a recent trip to Long Beach from Tucson. Morning temps were 38-40 degrees. They worked great. However, they don't provide the best 'feel' of the controls. Good mittens are not cheap either.

Nothing else will work --- I've tried 'em all. Neoprene seems like it would work great but the cold goes right through it. No gloves are warm enough to work on a Road King (I ride a R.K.) -- maybe a classic, but not a R.K.

So, in stead of buying a half dozen pair of expensive gloves that look like they might work in the cold, start out with the best solution and get some electric gloves from Gerbing.

I'd qualify this as my $.02 worth, except that it is hard earned wisdom and worth a lot more than two cents.

CajunBass
01-17-2006, 10:01
Sorry. Duplicate post below.

CajunBass
01-17-2006, 10:05
While I agree that the Gerbing electric gloves are probably the best, and I'll probably get a pair by next winter, I've been using these for the last few weeks, riding 80 miles, one way to work, at temps down to freezing or just below, at speeds ranging from 45-65. Toward the end of the ride, my hands will get cold, but not achey cold, just cold. They have been well worth the money. I do wear a pair of thin liners inside them to keep my hands from sweating into the lining of the glove itself. I posted this on another site.

I picked up a pair of winter riding gloves yesterday. Here's a description swiped from

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/wintergloves0203/

TEKNIC THUNDER GLOVES: $60, Leather Construction

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/Wintglove-Teknik-sm.jpg

Teknic's gladiator-grade mitts have precurved fingers for a good fit and are constructed with top-quality cowhide and a leather palm for superior abrasion resistance. Inside is a 100-percent–breathable Powerskin membrane, with superior Thermolite insulation for warmth. A rubber squeegee on the lower forefinger of each glove allows you to wipe your helmet visor. A layer of suede covers the pinkie-finger seam, and a beefy, multi-adjustable cuff system seals out the weather while providing abrasion resistance -- this is probably the best-protected cuff here. There are additional reinforcements and padding in the palm. A wrist strap secures it.

Cheers: Good value, sufficient warmth for cool weather. Superior gauntlet protection and padding.

Jeers: Somewhat bulky and stiff; virtually no reflective materials. Need significant break-in; closures a chore to operate.

Personal Note. I didn't fine the jeers to be true in my case, except for the lack of reflective material. No break in seemed to be needed for me.

fnfalman
01-17-2006, 10:12
Actually there are lots of insulated gloves available by every glove makers. The problem is the thicker the insulation, the harder it is to manipulate the controls.

Gerbing heated gloves are the best. I don't need them because I have heated grips, but if I weren't, they'd be it. SoCal winter temperature isn't too bad either. Even in the high desert around Victorville and Barstow, the morning temp is around mid-30s to high-30s, so the silk glove liner from BMW coupled with my regular leather gloves serve me fine. I don't like the polyester-type glove liners because they're too bulky, but the silk ones are like second skins and all for $11 plus tax.

flybywire
01-17-2006, 18:25
For alwaysshootin:
I looked at snowmobiling gloves, but they didn't strike me as sutiable for bike riding - very different construction. Also, I don't think you'd snowmobile for several hours continuously at hiway speeds? Probably not a fair comparison.

For CajunBass:
How cold have you ridden with those gloves? Hiway speeds for long periods?
I had seen that web site that compared 13 winter gloves. Also from that report:
HARLEY-DAVIDSON COLD WEATHER GAUNTLET GLOVES: $80, Leather Construction
(text removed)
Cheers: Excellent gauntlet coverage; comfortable lining and solid leather construction. If you're going to Alaska, pack a pair. These are the warmest gloves here.
Jeers: They're bulky; no wrist strap. Control feel can be vague.

For Three-Five-Seven:
Do you need a rheostat with those Gerbings?
You said "Nothing else will work." I think that's the bottom line - either heated gloves, heated handgrips, or warm packs inside loose gloves or mittens. There are no straight gloves that will work at freezing temps and hiway speeds.

Each of you had good comments. I appreciate it.

Thanks to all.

Markcuda
01-17-2006, 18:40
In Illinois, I ride all winter but I also have a big fairing on my Ultra.
If you can afford it, get the heated gloves, I got the Gerbing jacket and socks but haven't sprung for the gloves just yet.

CajunBass
01-18-2006, 08:07
Originally posted by flybywire

For CajunBass:
How cold have you ridden with those gloves? Hiway speeds for long periods?

I guess the coldest I ever rode was yesterday morning. When I left home it was showing 32 on the dash of my Majesty. It warmed up to 34-36 for most of my 75 mile ride to work at speeds running 45-65. (It warms up as I go south. :) )

Markcuda
01-18-2006, 08:19
So, you ride 150 miles a day just for work?;P

CajunBass
01-18-2006, 09:54
Yep.

Well not every day, because the weather has been too "iffy" a lot, but when I do, which is probably a couple times a week lately, that's the distance. As the weather improves, I plan to ride more.

Compy
01-18-2006, 11:18
I use a pair of ski gloves. Even at tems of <20° they keep my hands warm.

BikerRN
01-18-2006, 14:02
I just use a pair of $40.00 Motoboss gloves. The only complaint I have is that they are too thick, making it hard to operate the controls.

Since I don't have to wear "Winter Gloves" for very long I put up with it. If I was in a colder climate I would look at something else.

;c :)

flybywire
01-18-2006, 20:28
Originally posted by Nosferatu
I use a pair of ski gloves. Even at tems of <20° they keep my hands warm.

Under the conditions posted at the beginning of this thread?