The ideal home defense handgun vs what I actually have [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The ideal home defense handgun vs what I actually have

Putok-Glock
01-18-2006, 09:06
I have not experienced any threat yet in my home but this does not stop me from having a handgun w/in reach in the privacy of my bedroom. Mine is a Glock 34 in 9mm w/ 19 rounds in the mag in condition 2 (mag inserted no chamber load). Maybe I can have it in other/bigger/more powerful set-up but I favor a Glock and a 9 because of glocks' trigger system w/c has a long pull before actuation and the 9 is easier to shoot and control not to mention its report and blast is lesser compared to other chamberings. And this is very important, I think, in high-stress situation. Inside my home, if ever i need to shoot, I cannot afford to miss, have an AD, or a jam. An added advantage to me is the fact that the G34 is identical, except the caliber, to my G35 I play w/ in my range sessions.

This is what I have. As to the ideal home defense handgun, I have'nt got the idea, yet. Maybe you guys/gals can fill in?:)

MR_BIG
01-18-2006, 09:42
i dont have any complaints with a 34/35, but i think whats more important is how u use it. :)

toxic
01-18-2006, 10:05
Originally posted by MR_BIG
i dont have any complaints with a 34/35, but i think whats more important is how u use it. :)

Yap any gun will do as long its working and you know how to use it.
however most expert said ..SHOTGUN (Pump)is the best for defence ..just the sound of KATSAK(you know what i mean)makes the perp think he'll be meeting his creator.

Allegra
01-18-2006, 18:44
Originally posted by toxic
Yap any gun will do as long its working and you know how to use it.
however most expert said ..SHOTGUN (Pump)is the best for defence ..just the sound of KATSAK(you know what i mean)makes the perp think he'll be meeting his creator.

Dont be too sure pards
Yug mga baguhang perps siguro
May dinala samin preso para mag bad boy , while taping the targets pinaputokan ko yung target right next to him, hindi man lang nag flinch , direcho lang mag tape

mikey177
01-18-2006, 19:02
I also use the G34 as my primary home defense gun. What matters is that you are totally familiar with it and you can operate it even in the dark/under stress.

More importantly, harden your home so that BGs will avoid bothering you altogether and just search for an easier target :)

isuzu
01-18-2006, 19:03
Originally posted by Allegra
Dont be too sure pards
May dinala samin preso para mag bad boy , while taping the targets pinaputokan ko yung target right next to him, hindi man lang nag flinch , direcho lang mag tape

Isn't that violating a major rule of gun safety? You can't even put your hand on your gun, holstered or not, when somebody is in front of you. The range was not clear, first of all.

Just my two cents.:)

horge
01-18-2006, 19:40
Allegra,

;P ;P ;P

New_comer
01-18-2006, 20:24
Originally posted by Allegra
Dont be too sure pards
May dinala samin preso para mag bad boy , while taping the targets pinaputokan ko yung target right next to him, hindi man lang nag flinch , direcho lang mag tape ;g ehem... :soap:

Back to topic, baka naman bugbog na sa putok yung eardrum nun. Kapag new year, namamanhid kahit sino basta tuloy tuloy ang putok.

Pero kung stealth situation, yung racking sound ng shotgun parang batingaw ng kampana sa simbahan yun. The fact na buking na rin ang presence nung perp, mag-take over na ang flight response nun. Pero kung armado din, baka iba na din intensyon nun. With that scenario, shotgun talaga preferred ko, una birdshot para kalat, saka 00 to 4 buck ang load, pwede na ;)

mitchshrader
01-18-2006, 20:34
any shotgun with slugs.

any shotgun with buckshot.

any shotgun with birdshot.

any (functional) large caliber double action revolver.

any 1911 (condition one)

any other auto pistol

darwin25
01-18-2006, 20:43
just the sound of KATSAK(you know what i mean)makes the perp think he'll be meeting his creator.

You dont rack the pump or slide or bolt of any weapon in front of a perp just to intimidate him. What if you short rack the pump? What if misfeed happens? And you're in front of the perp..... You should always bring out a weapon that is already loaded, hot and ready to fire. It is more intimidating to look at the business end of a loaded weapon. IMO, one should work a gun's action in front of a perp only for the purpose of reloading your weapon. Working the gun's action in front of a perp with the purpose of intimidation is a half-measure that could get you killed. Never resort to half-measures in the hope that it will intimidate the bad guy and you wont have to shoot.

darwin25
01-18-2006, 20:43
duoble tap

Kiddo
01-19-2006, 03:01
Good insight darwin. :)

Allegra
01-19-2006, 03:48
Originally posted by isuzu
Isn't that violating a major rule of gun safety? You can't even put your hand on your gun, holstered or not, when somebody is in front of you. The range was not clear, first of all.

Just my two cents.:)

Why? I was just following rule no.3 or was that 4?
Dont point you gun at something you're not willing to destroy

Django
01-19-2006, 05:17
I look at guns as tools. You need different tools for different applications and situations.

If financial and/or legal ownership is not an issue, I would go for Mitchshrader's suggestion plus one more - a rifle either in .308 or .223.

So for me it would be:

1. A shotgun or two
2. A pistol or two (Cal. 9mm or up)
3. A revolver or two (Cal. .38 or up)
4. A rifle (.308 or .223)

Otherwise, make do with what you have.

Nothing still beats the gray matter between your ears in order to survive and prevail. :)

antediluvianist
01-19-2006, 06:44
Last week a science finding came out in the media stating that a person is more coordinated drunk than in the first few minutes after waking up.

Make mine a loaded revolver. A Glock is about as close to a revolver as a semi-auto can get..

cznayr
01-19-2006, 17:40
My friend has his jericho neatly hidden in a PLDT directory in a rack just as you enter his house. He neatly carved or cut the insides to conform it to the shape of his gun and poured candle wax to harden it. Just in case he surprises a robber when going home late. He also has one in his bedroom.

As for me, magazine inserted no chamber load also. My ideal home defense gun would be a shotgun, a revolver and a pistol as back-up.

Anyway, I don't believe that it is upon us to render punishment to the perps. Only God has that right. But if he is inside my house, I think it is my duty to set-up a meeting between him and our creator for his punishment. (that's paraphrasing what a general said)

;f

Vault Keeper
01-19-2006, 19:08
Originally posted by cznayr
Only God has that right. But if he is inside my house, I think it is my duty to set-up a meeting between him and our creator for his punishment. (that's paraphrasing what a general said)
;f

NICE I like that sir!!

In home defense gun, I would rather like to have a reliable handgun that goes booom everytime I pull the trigger. For me, rifles, or shotguns are too long that would most likely prevent you from aiming properly (but then, who would aim a shotgun..;f ). Defense inside ones house is most likely CQB anyway, so again, a reliable handgun is ok for me...;e

mikey177
01-19-2006, 20:54
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Last week a science finding came out in the media stating that a person is more coordinated drunk than in the first few minutes after waking up.

Good thing I often go to sleep drunk, so that when I wake up I'll have better coordination ;f

Putok-Glock
01-20-2006, 04:30
A Rejoinder to this Post:

Guys/Gals, what is your idea of the best handgun for your home defense. Compare that to what you really have, and why? Rifles and shotguns excluded.

horge
01-20-2006, 05:01
For home SD, the usual arms at my bedside are
a BERSA Thunder 380 and an Armscor 1911A1 Practical.
I've come to learn some of the limitations of both platforms.

I think my ideal would be a 2xstack .40S&W (maybe M1911-pattern) platform,
with Trijicons, a full-flash/partial-sound suppressor,
hopped up on really big-mouthed JHP's.

Backup to that would be a snub .357 Magnum
stoked with full-house JHP's

JM2P

cebuboy
01-20-2006, 06:36
my current home defense tools are a pumpgun and a g21.

i'm saving up for a 4" 629 as the primary home defense handgun.

why? nothing beats a revolver in dependability. you can load it and store it. the .357 has a good record of one shot stops, but the crack and flash i dont like. you can reduce the power of the .44 mag and still make it a good manstopper:)

nrmcolt
01-20-2006, 06:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/nrmcolt/whatm16.jpg
;f
But seriously, if STHF, I'll grab my 1911, why? Because it's the gun I practiced most with, and I do believe that I have the skills to use it effectively to get the job done. Oh, and if the 1911 failed there is always his step-brother(BHP:cool: )

;c

MR_BIG
01-20-2006, 08:33
the best gun is the one thats goes bang everytime you pull the trigger. btw, take into consideration passive defense, our house has a panic button, u know the big red school bell when we were kids, we have one at home, it is placed at the highest point of our house, on new years eve, it can be heard 2-3 blocks away, at night it would sound a little bit louder, all our rooms have deadbolt locks(yung iniikot lang from the inside), lastly, if you sense that someones outside your room, pls dont go out, i dont know if he can steal our sala set or ref, at least i know my wife and i are safe inside our room where our panic button, cell phone and 2 beside guns are. btw, we have 3 dogs pala ;f ;f ;f ;f

royal glockster
01-20-2006, 10:04
Originally posted by nrmcolt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/nrmcolt/whatm16.jpg
;f
But seriously, if STHF, I'll grab my 1911, why? Because it's the gun I practiced most with, and I do believe that I have the skills to use it effectively to get the job done. Oh, and if the 1911 failed there is always his step-brother(BHP:cool: )

;c

hOLY sh_t!! whar are those things nrmcolt? aren't those taclights and optics functions distinctively? or just reserves in case others won't function? dami borloloy but very nice set-up bro! tulo laway ko. LOL!

toxic
01-22-2006, 00:52
Originally posted by darwin25
You dont rack the pump or slide or bolt of any weapon in front of a perp just to intimidate him. What if you short rack the pump? What if misfeed happens? And you're in front of the perp..... You should always bring out a weapon that is already loaded, hot and ready to fire. It is more intimidating to look at the business end of a loaded weapon. IMO, one should work a gun's action in front of a perp only for the purpose of reloading your weapon. Working the gun's action in front of a perp with the purpose of intimidation is a half-measure that could get you killed. Never resort to half-measures in the hope that it will intimidate the bad guy and you wont have to shoot.

oh i forgot..another perp..already on the floor, bleeding to death. ;f

darwin25
01-22-2006, 19:10
Originally posted by Django
I look at guns as tools. You need different tools for different applications and situations.

Yap. But you need to decide when is your tool a deadly weapon.

oh i forgot..another perp..already on the floor, bleeding to death. ;f

Now that's more like it. ^c

Putok-Glock
01-26-2006, 10:33
Even though I have .357's, which I practice regularly in the range, I have second thoughts using them as home defence gun(s) due to their tremendous blast. If Im a bit disturbed by their blast when in the range, what more if I will have to use it inside my house?

So the choice for a home defense handgun, in my opinion, is not only about the caliber, power or the lack of it, personal choice/bias, one's handling capabilities, nor the technicalities of the hardware. But a little of each of these plus the situation that is peculiar and unique in our homes that we alone do understand.

charlie-xray
01-26-2006, 10:47
my defense is a Glock 23 with 3 mags beside it fully loaded to the brim at 13 rounds, but I guess the most important is for your family members know what to do as well in case of an intruder, in my case the scenario is they lock themselves up in one of our room and nobody gets in or out absoultely and they will be armed with my 22 but I'll be on the Glock or the wifey meeting the perp half-way or ahead.

And note the Glock is loaded with 13 rounds each in 3 mags, 1 mag is full of 13 destroyer bullets, another mag is full with HEAT arrows bullets and the last one is loaded with hallow points so if the 1st and 2nd mag does not do it, then it's superman attacking my house.

bass one
01-26-2006, 19:01
Originally posted by MR_BIG
btw, take into consideration passive defense, our house has a panic button, u know the big red school bell when we were kids, we have one at home That's a great idea. Another idea would be a PA or intercom. This way you can warn the perp that you are aware of his presence and tell him to leave or...KATSAK!!;N At least you can make him hear the sound of your gun-racking without being in close proximity hehehe.

bass one
01-26-2006, 19:01
sorry, double tap.