Great, just what we need... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Great, just what we need...


Compy
01-18-2006, 19:14
...people chatting on cellphones while RIDING! I saw this on kneedraggers. Bluetooth headset for motorcycle helmets.

<a href='http://www.kneedraggers.com/refer/details/50876/22858/25'>Scala Rider Bluetooth Headset From KneeDraggers.Com</a>

epsylum
01-18-2006, 19:39
Originally posted by Nosferatu
...people chatting on cellphones while RIDING! I saw this on kneedraggers. Bluetooth headset for motorcycle helmets.

<a href='http://www.kneedraggers.com/refer/details/50876/22858/25'>Scala Rider Bluetooth Headset From KneeDraggers.Com</a>

That's not as bad as I have seen. I have personally seen 2 people riding while taking on cell phones with NO HEADSET! That's right, riding one handed with the other up to their firggin ear. The first was some retard poser on a Gixxer 600 and flip flops, the other was a Harley rider who was not only riding and taking on a cell phone, but was also smoking a cigarette. ^2

Man where are the runaway semis when you need them? ;f

BikerRN
01-19-2006, 00:45
Originally posted by epsylum
That's not as bad as I have seen. I have personally seen 2 people riding while taking on cell phones with NO HEADSET! That's right, riding one handed with the other up to their firggin ear. The first was some retard poser on a Gixxer 600 and flip flops, the other was a Harley rider who was not only riding and taking on a cell phone, but was also smoking a cigarette. ^2

Man where are the runaway semis when you need them? ;f

Hey! I resemble that remark about the Harley. J/K I guess since Harley's don't have the cornering ability that a sportbike does it's not too much of a concern. I used to ride a Harley, then I discovered motorcycles.

fnfalman
01-19-2006, 09:14
The Bluetooth/cellphone feature is available from several helmet manufacturers. Personally I don't see any problem with talking on a cell phone while riding. It's no different than talking via Chatterbox or some sort of intercom/CB radio. Now, talking on the cell phone with it held to your ear by one of your hands ala cager, that's the problem.

Talking in its own isn't really that much of a detraction. It's the limited mobility of the head that causes driving problems. People just stare forward with a cell phone held to their ears and can't see squat out the side and when they try to furtively turning their heads around, their arm still get in the way and block the vision.

epsylum
01-19-2006, 17:14
Originally posted by fnfalman
Talking in its own isn't really that much of a detraction. It's the limited mobility of the head that causes driving problems. People just stare forward with a cell phone held to their ears and can't see squat out the side and when they try to furtively turning their heads around, their arm still get in the way and block the vision.

Well, I would say the talking part ISN'T part of the problem. You have to remember some people have problems walking and chewing bubble gum. ;)

Compy
01-19-2006, 18:59
Originally posted by fnfalman
The Bluetooth/cellphone feature is available from several helmet manufacturers. Personally I don't see any problem with talking on a cell phone while riding. It's no different than talking via Chatterbox or some sort of intercom/CB radio. Now, talking on the cell phone with it held to your ear by one of your hands ala cager, that's the problem.

Talking in its own isn't really that much of a detraction. It's the limited mobility of the head that causes driving problems. People just stare forward with a cell phone held to their ears and can't see squat out the side and when they try to furtively turning their heads around, their arm still get in the way and block the vision.

The problem comes when answering/making a call. Not all phones have voice dialing.

Also, talking & listening to someone reduces your awarness and concentration around you which you really should be concentrating 100% on riding, not carrying a conversation while trying to avoid being squished by an SUV soccer mom yapping on her cellphone.

Uturn
01-26-2006, 14:09
What is wrong with folks riding and talking? If they go down, oh well, they don't hurt anyone but themselves. Also, what is wrong with a smoke while riding? I smoke, drink (non-alcohol), even kick my feet up when riding.

I feel the same about helmets. If you want to wear one, then wear it. I wear mine, but am very much opposed to someone telling another person that they have to wear one. Same with leathers, boots, gloves......

mmsig229
01-26-2006, 14:53
Originally posted by Uturn
What is wrong with folks riding and talking? If they go down, oh well, they don't hurt anyone but themselves. Also, what is wrong with a smoke while riding? I smoke, drink (non-alcohol), even kick my feet up when riding.

I feel the same about helmets. If you want to wear one, then wear it. I wear mine, but am very much opposed to someone telling another person that they have to wear one. Same with leathers, boots, gloves......

You're kidding right????You don't think it's possible to slam into something, or someone while looking down at your cell phone????A 700 lb motorcycle traveling at 35 mph can do alot of damage. How about someone swerving their car out of the way when you cross the center line, or go through a red light?????Get real....

NMGlocker
01-26-2006, 14:54
Originally posted by Uturn
What is wrong with folks riding and talking? If they go down, oh well, they don't hurt anyone but themselves.
Unless they wipe out a pedestrian or another motorcycle, or T-bone a car.