Ordering books online [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ordering books online

Kiddo
01-19-2006, 05:26
Anyone ever tried ordering books online, specifically from brianenos.com and have them ship it to the Philippines? How was it? I'm thinking of ordering some books but I'm not so sure if shipping it here will go smoothly. Thanks. :)

antediluvianist
01-19-2006, 05:32
Works OK if you order from Amazon.com. However, there is some amount - I forget what it is - beyond which you may have to pay tax.
I always order not more than 4-5 books at a time.

Benj
01-19-2006, 18:10
I just ordered some books from brian enos last week, around 1-2 weeks daw delivery time since they use USPS and not a courier service. It took several emails back and forth to get the order sorted out, brian seems like a nice guy hehe I'll keep you updated if my shipment arrives, should get here by next week.

About the taxes, here's a tidbit I discovered, if they ask you to go to the post office to pick up the package, go there the first thing monday morning, usually wala yung customs na tao na authorized mag collect ng tax, the people there will have no choice but to release your package, assuming it's not worth thousands of dollars, bigyan mo nalang siguro pang kape yung nagrelease :)

GMV
01-19-2006, 21:29
Originally posted by Kiddo
Anyone ever tried ordering books online, specifically from brianenos.com and have them ship it to the Philippines? How was it? I'm thinking of ordering some books but I'm not so sure if shipping it here will go smoothly. Thanks. :)

I ordered 3 books from brianenos.com (on various dates) and received them. Shipping time is 1-2 weeks. Brian Enos will gladly accommodate your queries.

GMV

Kiddo
01-20-2006, 01:05
Thanks for the replies. I'm in mindanao, so does the post office thing work for me or are the books delivered directly to my home address?

Putok-Glock
01-20-2006, 04:02
Thanks for the replies. I'm in mindanao, so does the post office thing work for me or are the books delivered directly to my home address?

My order from BEnos arrived after 6 weeks as estimated by the person who processed my order. It was for 4 books amounting to a little over a hundred $. The Post office had me pay P30 not for tax but for Postal fee (dont know what that meant). But I think effective last week this fee was adjusted to P35(?). Up to now I cant understand the six-wk delay. My purchases from abroad usually arrive w/in 10 days after shipment. Usually, I receive a notice to pick-up the items in the local post office.

Kiddo
01-20-2006, 08:13
putok-glock, how do you receive the notice? via snail mail?

Putok-Glock
01-20-2006, 08:32
putok-glock, how do you receive the notice? via snail mail?

Yes. It comes from the local post office advising you to claim a package in their office.

Kiddo
01-20-2006, 23:08
Okay thanks. One more thing, are you located in metro manila or in other parts of the country? I'm asking so that I could estimate how long will I receive the package if I order. Thanks.

Putok-Glock
01-21-2006, 01:07
My mailing address is in Bicol.

mirko128
01-23-2006, 17:49
I had 3 books from brianenos.com shipped last year.

I waited for 6 weeks, I think, before I got the post office notice. He ships items through USPS, which in turn is handled by EMS in the Pasay post office.

I later find out that the books arrived in the PH within 2 weeks. They (EMS) claimed that they've been sending me notices for 4 weeks, but the only one I received was the last notice na.

I've lost 1 shipment already, a Brownell's catalog, they also ship via USPS. Good thing Brownell's sent another which I received. 10$ din yun :)

I dunno, ang labo ng post office natin, minsan sa QC main bagsak nung books, minsan sa Araneta, minsan sa Pasay! (all addressed to Eastwood, where I work).

batangueno
01-23-2006, 18:34
mirko, do you specify the postal code in your mailing address? For eastwood, the postal code is 1110. Packages sent via USPS will go to Araneta Center, Cubao.

mirko128
01-24-2006, 18:44
Yup, I do - 1110.

Anyway, what we're doing now in the office, since we buy IT books often, is to have them delivered to our west coast office in the US, then they Fedex them here to QC. No additional taxes because Eastwood is a tax free zone something.

Nga lang, di ko pa na-try mag singit ng personal book hehe :)

Ang di ko maintindihan, bakit kelangan pa i-tax ang books?!? :( Discouraged ba ang further education/learning? E sa di naman mabibili sa National yung book or 5 editions older na yung available dito. Buti nga binibili yung orig at hindi nag-download ng ebook hehe.

Benj
02-08-2006, 17:43
Update ko lang, I just received my order from brianenos.com last Feb. 6. So more or or less around 3 weeks yung waiting time. No taxes but I had to pay a P35 fee, good enough :)

Kiddo
02-09-2006, 01:35
Thanks for your input Benj! How about books from Paladin Press? Anyone tried ordering from them na?

mikey177
02-09-2006, 04:29
How about books from Paladin Press? Anyone tried ordering from them na?

I ordered three books from Suarez and Ayoob from them about three years ago. Sent through EMS and picked up at the local Post Office without any problems.

Kiddo
02-09-2006, 05:02
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what service is EMS? :)

Eye Cutter
02-09-2006, 07:02
express mail service

Kiddo
02-11-2006, 19:51
Okay thanks doc!

Kiddo
02-11-2006, 20:09
What are the chances of getting the books lost or seized? Okay lang ba yung mga Tactical series ni Suarez?

Edit to add: I found Suarez books cheaper at Amazon than on Paladin Press. Should I buy on amazon nalang? Thanks.

mikey177
02-12-2006, 19:40
Amazon is also a reliable merchant. If you'll buy more than one or two books, I suggest specifying that you want all the items shipped together in one shipment to save on shipping costs.

You can also compare the prices at Amazon with Gabe's own online store --> http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

The "Tactical" series of books is okay. Some would suggest getting Suarez's "The Combative Perspective" if you want to ddepen your understanding of the fighting mindset and what it takes to stay safe in the world.

Gabe's "Secrets of Reality-Based Gunfighting" is one of his new books that incorporates most of the state-of-the-art in gunfighting that was culled from experiences in his force-on-force pistol classes.

It's a good time to buy stuff overseas as the peso has risen in value (or has the dollar gone down) over the past months.

Kiddo
02-13-2006, 01:28
Thanks mikey! So theres little chance that those kinda books will be seized here in the Phil?

mikey177
02-13-2006, 04:42
So theres little chance that those kinda books will be seized here in the Phil?

Well, if the head of the Post Office or the Customs guy in your area is an avid shooter, then anything is possible ;Q

But if you're asking about confiscation from a legal viewpoint, then I would have to conclude, based on my hassle-free experiences at the Post Office, that books on shooting and self-defense are safe to import. Just don't try to bring in anything from Paladin about insurrection, bomb making or the like --that's dangerous ground.

Kiddo
02-13-2006, 06:37
Thanks Mikey. Not planning on getting books on bombing. Just self defense. Hehe. :)