Mom wants a bike now....which one should she get [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mom wants a bike now....which one should she get

glock_19guy1983
01-20-2006, 14:00
Was talking to my mom yesterday and she said she wants to get a motorcycle to ride around town on. Mom had a Honda 350 when she was in college in the 70's but as far as I know thats the last time she has ridden. I suggested a honda or yamaha 650 cruiser. She is 5'6 or 5'7 so I think she could support one easily. What are your Ideas?;g

fnfalman
01-20-2006, 15:29
How old is she? What shape is she in? Is she strong enough to handle a 400+lbs bike? What sort of riding is she expecting to be into?

But apropos of nothing, a Honda Nighthawk 250 isn't a bad all-around bike, especially for someone who's essentially a born-again newbie. It's low, it's light, it's easy to ride with good seating position.

BikerRN
01-20-2006, 17:43
Have Mom take the MSF course first. Then maybe look at a Nighthawk or Rebel, used for the first bike.

After she can "fling" the little bike around like piss piss then start looking at cruisers. Personally, I used to be a cruiser rider, now there ain't nothing like a sportbike. I'd say, look at the Ducati Multistrada 620. It's great for in-town and touring too. Plus it does great as a canyon carver too.

Take care and tell Mom to ride safe. :)

glock_19guy1983
01-21-2006, 09:51
She is pretty strong. She only wants it for riding around town. there wont be any long cruises or anything. She wants something that gets better gas milege than her expidition for running erands. I just wonder if a 250 rebel would be big enough. she is a little bigger now than she was in college.;f

BikerRN
01-21-2006, 11:50
Like I said before, have Mom look at the Ducati Multistrada.

It gives you an upright sitting position, is great for running around town, plus it gives you the versatility to canyon carve or tour.

Take care and let us know what she decides on. ;c :)

fnfalman
01-21-2006, 12:55
Ducati 620 Multistrada or Monster. Suzuki GS500, Kawasaki Ninja 500, Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki Ninja 650. And for quite a bit more cash, BMW F650CS.

Skyhook
01-21-2006, 13:18
Have her check out that Honda Elite scooter thing (or any thing like it..) Those things are extremely service-oriented and easily muscled through the 'burbs.

Or, you could just call the guys at Orange County Custom.:cool:

BikerRN
01-21-2006, 13:19
Thanks Al. You named all the "other" bikes that I would recommend. As you probably guessed, I'm a bit predjudiced in my opinion of the perfect bike. ;) ;c

Motor-T
01-22-2006, 18:42
Don't forget the new "full size" scooters. The Suzuki Burgman is the only one that comes immediately to mind, but there are others.

fnfalman
01-23-2006, 10:28
My beef with the bigger scooters (500-cc or more) is that they're heavier than a bike of similar size and they don't have the suspensions to deal with bad roads. And yes, they're fast as hell. I've seen one of those Honda Mini Goldwings or whatever you call them blazed by me on the freeway at around 85-MPH.

BikerRN
01-26-2006, 04:12
So..............................

What bike did Mom get? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

ChaZ
01-26-2006, 10:23
Like someone already said here before, a scooter would be feasible for someone who want better gas mileage and "get around in town".

I think Vespa would fit the bill but it's bit tad expensive so there's many asian-made cheap scooters that would be feasible. You can look around near universities in your area, they always have those kind of stuff for college students with low budget and need wheels.

I also agree about taking MSF course. Riding bike in today's streets isn't same as riding long time ago. Cagers are more bigger and ruder than before.

Do let us know what you got for her. A picture of her on it is also worth thousand words...

-ChaZ

fnfalman
01-26-2006, 12:15
If cost and mileage are main concerns then also look at the Kawasaki Ninja 250. Don't let the name puts you off. It's a comfy bike that's a lot better than it sounds or looks. Motorcyclist Magazine just did an economical ride comparison between the cheapest available bikes plus a scooter thrown in for the hell of it and the Ninja 250 rated first - no surprise. It gets 70+MPG. It's decently fast and can cruise on the freeway. It's light, nimble and low. And it's a real motorcycle with motorcycle wheels and suspensions to deal with the nastiness of rough roads.

I'm thinking about getting an Italjet scooter but it's primarily for silliness than anything. I'd buy a small bike before I buy a scooter just because of the better handling aspects.

ChaZ
01-26-2006, 23:44
Originally posted by fnfalman
If cost and mileage are main concerns then also look at the Kawasaki Ninja 250. Don't let the name puts you off. It's a comfy bike that's a lot better than it sounds or looks. Motorcyclist Magazine just did an economical ride comparison between the cheapest available bikes plus a scooter thrown in for the hell of it and the Ninja 250 rated first - no surprise. It gets 70+MPG. It's decently fast and can cruise on the freeway. It's light, nimble and low. And it's a real motorcycle with motorcycle wheels and suspensions to deal with the nastiness of rough roads.

I'm thinking about getting an Italjet scooter but it's primarily for silliness than anything. I'd buy a small bike before I buy a scooter just because of the better handling aspects.

I'm now selling my 2004 Vespa GT200 with only 7800 miles on it. PM me if you're interested.

-ChaZ