Truck stalls - why? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Truck stalls - why?

Ragnar
01-21-2006, 15:55
OK, started truck (1997 Nissan) this morning. Ran fine, but about 3 miles down the road she bucked twice and died.

She restarts and idles fine, but when you put her back into gear (auto trans) she dies.

I suspect fuel filter.

Any other things to suspect?

BlackGunLover
01-25-2006, 17:09
Is your check engine light on? Which truck is it? I got a buddy who's a Nissan tech and knows pretty much EVERY DAMN THING about Nissans I can call him and ask about any known issues.

Abe

knightkrawler00
01-26-2006, 14:30
I don't know a lot about Nissan, but it sounds like your tourque convertor clutch may be stuck on. The vehicle will act just like you didn't push in the clutch on a manual trans when you come to a stop. Were you coming to a stop when it happened the first time, or did it die going down the road?

mkoricic
01-27-2006, 00:28
should have bought a ford

01-30-2006, 23:18
Do not mean to hijack your thread, but I had similar problem this evening (1990 mitsubishi, automatic transmission). Car started just fine, warmed up, backed out. Put it in "Drive", car died, Battery and Brake lights came on. Tried it half a dozen times, with the same result. Finally, started it up, one foot on the brake, another on gas, revved the engine, and then shifted gears from Park to Drive. Seemed to drive OK after that.

Any ideas? Tranny was rebuilt 2 years ago, fluid level is normal, no strange odors, light pink in color.

Thanks

BlackGunLover
01-31-2006, 06:58
Does it only die when shifting from R to D or also when shifting from P to D?

Abe

01-31-2006, 12:53
It dies when I shift from P or N. I tried shifting to R, D, L, car still died.
Do not think it is related, but I changed a power steering belt over the weekend (old one was 6+ years old, streached and squeled).