Ladies, need your input on this one.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, need your input on this one....

soldier615
01-21-2006, 22:17
Mrs. soldier here,

I have a question for the ladies. I live in Georgia, but am from South Jersey, where guns are a big no-no. I shoot guns regularly and also carry concealed. I learned firearms safety and shooting from my husband who was a soldier and an Army MP. The problem is that I don't think my dad is too thrilled with the idea of me carrying. He is a retired police officer and former Army Special Forces, but never taught me or my sisters to shoot. He is coming for a visit soon and the question is, "should I carry when my dad is here?". I have told him several times that I shoot and can legally carry in Georgia, but he always changes the subject. So again I'm asking for opinions/advice as to wether I should carry when he is here or not.

Lew-G17
01-22-2006, 08:54
I'm not one of the ladies but, I have a similar situation with some of my relatives that only see occasionally. I have chosen not to stop carrying, but rather to do so discretely. For example I have a small zippered portfolio (like a day planner) that I used to use for notes that I have converted into a very disctrete gun case. No one but me and my wife knows what is in the notebook and I have not told them. The notebook stays in my possession and there are no small children involved. I usually keep it in the drivers side map pocket in my car when we are together.

Hope this helps.

Rollo Tamasey
01-25-2006, 20:53
I am not one of the ladies however here is how I see it.

If you don't carry and need it then you will be in trouble. Also you will be letting your father tell you what to do like you are a child.

If you carry without telling him and he finds out then he will whine that you did not run it by him first.

If you carry and tell him then he will just act mad the whole time.

I vote for the second option of carrying with the gun well hidden without mentioning it. Plus you kind of already hinted you can legally do it. If you do this option just relax about it. If no one else can see your gun he won't be able to see it either.

I have had to go into some anti gun peoples offices for my job and I carry a gun in there and just never tell them. They do not have any no gun sighns posted and have never told me I could not bring one on their property. They have just made anti gun statements so I know if I told them they would spaz. I have been doing it for 8-9 years and they never figured it out. Also I do not discuss guns at all at places I work even if some other employees are pro gun. What they don't know can't hurt them. Also it is no ones biz.

QUEENGLOCK
01-27-2006, 16:47
i would carry it conceled .i would not bring up the subject. if it is brought up tell them you respect there opinion but this is a choice you feel you need to stand firm on. i live in alabama and carry my g22 with confidence. good luck

LadyG23
01-27-2006, 17:52
I'm sure that you have friends and acquaintances that don't know that you carry, it's not something that you openly flaunt, so how would your father know if you are carrying or not? If he asks, tell him that you have a duty to protect yourself and your children. If he throws a fit, ask him how he would feel if you or the kids were in danger / kidnapped / raped / etc.

jmho

Strange Destiny
01-27-2006, 18:10
My $.02 I don't carry my gun on me. It lives in my car. I don't advertise the fact that it is there. My .40 is always with me in this way. If I am carrying it, again I don't advertise it.

vote Republican
01-28-2006, 08:08
I vote for carry. He'll only know if either you need to use it, or he hugs real tight. :)

cap23
02-06-2006, 14:24
i would carry no matter what. I live with my boyfriend who is a police officer, he is the one that carries. When i go out and have a chance i carry his Glock26 9mm. He is the one that tought me how to shot and also took me to get me pistol license when i turned 21. So go ahead and carry when you are with your dad. You don't know when you are going to need it.:)

BabyTaz
02-08-2006, 21:28
Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said, especially the the letting him treat you like a child. (Sorry, issues) What will he do if he finds out (worse case leave, cut you out of the will, have a public fit?) As long as that reaction is something you can live with, (and trust me, dad throwing a fit is not that bad) do what makes you most comfortable.

Mrs. VR
02-08-2006, 21:40
I just read the original question again...you said your dad "changes the subject" when you bring it up, that's not nearly as bad as "has a hissy fit" ;f I'd love to hear a follow up as to what happened! ;a

April
02-09-2006, 10:43
I'm going to take the class to get my permit next Sunday (FINALLY). My case is a little similar except it's not my dad that thinks I'm crazy for wanting to carry anywhere and everywhere I'm legally able to do so -- it's my husband. ;Q

Hubby is very supportive of me and even set up the class and we're going together. He just doesn't understand my desire to carry all the time; not that I plan on letting that deter me.

Do what you feel is best to adequitely defend yourself and innocents under your care. Your father raised a mature responsible adult; which is what I've found scares my parents the most.

Just my half a cent or so. (My opinions are worth as much as some folk here.)

;f

EL COLONEL
02-10-2006, 11:17
I say carry and don't let him know you are carring,you never know when you might need it. Also I don't recomend you leave your gun in the car as I have had 2 vehicals broken into in the last year.
:cool:

QUEENGLOCK
02-10-2006, 17:15
i have followerd this story closly and want to know what you decide to do, you have some great ideas sent to you. please keep us informed.

Mrs. VR
02-10-2006, 20:08
Im interested too! I sent a PM to Soldier asking him to let her know that we're waiting to hear ;f

Dinky
02-12-2006, 13:42
<---- Not a lady, but I am in touch with my feminine side;Q

I vote for carry.

My niece is anti gun and she knows that I carry and we have agreed that she won't ask and I won't tell.

It works for us.

Please let us know what you decide:)

Walter45Auto
02-12-2006, 13:50
Although I ain't a lady, I'll give my $.02. Sounds like the best thing for ya would be carry, keep concealed, and don't say nuthin about it around him or anyone who may let it get around to him. If he doesn't know he can't be upset about it. Let us know how it goes would you?

;g

;8 ;I

kcb
02-12-2006, 18:30
Maybe when your dad changes the subject when you bring it up, is his way of telling you that it is your decision.

So, I let it be your decision and not bring it up. If he brings it up, explain your convictions in a logical manner, telling him you respect his right to disagree with you.

But I suspect he is telling you he respects your right to disagree with him.

Good luck, and as everyone says... let us know!:)

soldier615
02-14-2006, 20:50
Mrs. soldier here again,

Let's see, an update on dad's visit and my decision.
I decided to carry and did carry all during my dad's visit. My sister, unbeknownst to me, told my dad that I carried daily. I'm sure that he researched the legality of this on the internet prior to his visit. I'm pleased to report that all went well. We never discussed the subject, but he knew I was carrying from the time of our first hug. Remember, my dad is a retired Police Officer and former Army Special Forces. He didn't bring up the subject, and neither did I, but my dad is the type that would not hesitate to tell you if he has a problem with something.

Everything went well. Thanks for all your input and support!

Lew-G17
02-14-2006, 20:57
Congratulations! I'm glad you had a happy visit. You and Dad have probably just crossed a very special line in your relationship. I can assure you, you have won his respect at a different level than before.

LadyG23
02-15-2006, 04:43
I'm glad that it went so well. :cool:

Mrs. VR
02-15-2006, 06:00
I'm really glad to hear it all went so well! ;a

rnchick
02-15-2006, 07:54
Congrats - I'm glad the visit went well and you did what you thought you needed to do!

QUEENGLOCK
02-15-2006, 12:14
good job,i'm glad everything went well, you earned his respect even though he didn't say so.;Y