how do you clean your glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean your glock?

s0nny_g17
01-22-2006, 05:09
mga glock masters paano po ba ang tamang paglilinis ng glock? kailangan ba na totally disassembled sya every use? i usually use lead, mura pero ang hirap nga lang matanggal sa barrel. ok lang ba copper brush panlinis?

Django
01-22-2006, 05:29
Yes. In fact the use of stainless bore brushes are discouraged nowadays.

Glock4Life
01-22-2006, 05:34
I'm a big fan of copper or bronze brushes. I feel like the nylon brush that comes with new Glocks are not the best. I also agree with avoiding stainless.

vega
01-22-2006, 09:19
Soak it with Hoppes #9 to soften the deposits. There will still be stubborn leads there so I used (when I was still using leads) coping saw blade. Make sure you remove the sharp edges and bend one end about 90 degrees. Just like a back scratcher. Polish (1000cc) the end which you will use as scrubber. Good luck.

vega

isuzu
01-22-2006, 10:44
Originally posted by vega
Soak it with Hoppes #9 to soften the deposits. There will still be stubborn leads there so I used (when I was still using leads) coping saw blade. Make sure you remove the sharp edges and bend one end about 90 degrees. Just like a back scratcher. Polish (1000cc) the end which you will use as scrubber. Good luck.

vega

Vega,

Could you post a picture of your "special tool?" I'm interested in it. Hoppes #9 is really a good bore solvent.

I still have a stainless tornado brush. Should avoid using it on my wife's Taurus?

isuzu
01-22-2006, 10:55
Sonny,

Here are two links you might want to see:

http://glockmeister.com/gclean.shtml

http://glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml

http://glockmeister.com/fpsafety.shtml

revo
01-22-2006, 12:55
Originally posted by s0nny_g17
mga glock masters paano po ba ang tamang paglilinis ng glock? kailangan ba na totally disassembled sya every use?

Hinde lililinisan ang mga Glock.

They work better when dirty.

Hehe

Seriously though, here's my procedure for routine cleaning -

1) Disassemble slide and frame
2) Spray metal parts with Kleenbore Gunk-out and let dry.
3) Touch metals part with Breakfree CLP.
4) Put back slide and frame together and wipe-off excess lube.
5) Done.

vega
01-22-2006, 16:04
isuzu - I don't have my "special tool" anymore. That was way back in RP when I was still using lead. A dental pick will do but if you can get the plastic one its a lot better.

vega

isuzu
01-22-2006, 19:00
isuzu - I don't have my "special tool" anymore. That was way back in RP when I was still using lead. A dental pick will do but if you can get the plastic one its a lot better.

vega

Vega,

My friends used dental picks (that were given by a dentist-shooter) when we were still using single stack 45s with comps to clean the lead out of the comps. I borrowed their picks.:) It was during the late 80's and early 90's, when single stacks, comps and Bo-Mars were the vogue. The picks were effective.

Ersatz0906
01-23-2006, 01:08
Originally posted by Django
Yes. In fact the use of stainless bore brushes are discouraged nowadays.

bakit sir? whats the difference between stainless and copper brushes?
thanks

batangueno
01-23-2006, 01:17
Stainless is harder than copper which means it can easily scratch the inside of your barrel.

GLOCK22SHOOTER
01-23-2006, 01:58
I just put mine on the hood of the car when running through the auto car wash....Just kidding..I think the others have it covered by now.

Django
01-23-2006, 05:24
Originally posted by Ersatz0906
bakit sir? whats the difference between stainless and copper brushes?
thanks

Ersatz,

Answered by Batangueno. :)

s0nny_g17
01-23-2006, 06:37
thanks guys
after every use i put breakfree clp all over the metal parts of my gun then brush & wipe the oil the next day. i only use the brush included in my glock package coz a friend of mine says that a copper brush might scratch my barrel. malimit marami pa rin natitira lead deposits sa barrel kaya hindi ako nasasatisfy sa paglilinis ko. with regards to the other parts of my gun basta binabrush ko lang and wipe it afterwards.

Django
01-23-2006, 07:19
Originally posted by s0nny_g17
i only use the brush included in my glock package coz a friend of mine says that a copper brush might scratch my barrel.

I don't think it will. Buy the good ones like Outer's, Hoppe's, etc

vega
01-23-2006, 08:10
Originally posted by GLOCK22SHOOTER
I just put mine on the hood of the car when running through the auto car wash....Just kidding..I think the others have it covered by now.
Thanks for the idea.;)
Maybe dishwasher is a lot faster.

vega

Ersatz0906
01-23-2006, 16:09
Originally posted by batangueno
Stainless is harder than copper which means it can easily scratch the inside of your barrel.

hehe sorry sa kulit ko po... ano mangyari if you scratch your barrel? (steel barrel ha ;f) ma rust? or will it affect accuracy?
tnx

Django
01-23-2006, 17:29
It will deteriorate in the accuracy department. At least that's what they're saying, the principle being the lands and groves of your barrel will thin out with the continuous scrubbing of metal harder than itself.

Daw bairan bala haw. :)

vega
01-23-2006, 21:41
Ersatz - You may know this already but start scrubbing from the chamber end and not the muzzle end. If you start at the muzzle end you might ding the crown and ruin accuracy.

vega

Ersatz0906
01-24-2006, 05:09
Ersatz - You may know this already but start scrubbing from the chamber end and not the muzzle end. If you start at the muzzle end you might ding the crown and ruin accuracy.

vega

uummm....I didnt know that, thanks

Eye Cutter
01-24-2006, 05:18
wd-40 and breakfree clp gums up when it dries.

change to another oil like fp-10, remoil or militec. Even singer sewing machine oil is better!

You can also use a synthetic motor oil like mobil 1 (my favorite) or helix, which is a lot better than breakfree.

Django
01-24-2006, 07:19
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
You can also use a synthetic motor oil like mobil 1 (my favorite) or helix, which is a lot better than breakfree.

Stands up to extended and excessive heat in the barrel and slide area of the gun better.

charlie-xray
01-26-2006, 11:16
How about cleaning procedures for people who uses FMJ only and no lead absolutely.

vega
01-26-2006, 11:29
For cleaning bore, I use patch soaked with Hoppes #9, let it stay for awhile. Run a clean dry patch once, repeat same dry procedure until the patch comes out clean. I do this exercise twice and for the finale, snake bore.

vega

charlie-xray
02-08-2006, 11:07
What do you guys usually use to clean the outer finish of the Glock or more likely the general outer parts?

Django
02-08-2006, 17:28
For metal parts, Turtle Wax. For the plastics, ArmorAll.

isuzu
02-08-2006, 18:48
I used metal polish (which I "stole" from my mom's silverware cabinet;f ) on my Glocks and my wife's Taurus barrels after soaking them in solvent. They cleaned the barrels really good. I then put Break Free on the barrels after cleaning them, carefully getting the Break Free out of the chamber. Didn't affect accuracy.

Haven't had any experience of Break Free leaving a residue or drying up.

boholglock
02-08-2006, 21:54
do try to learn to open/disassemble the firing pin mechanism on the slide to be able to clean it, say every 400-500 rounds. just be careful, there are very small springs that may be flying around. assemble it the right way. the technique can be learned though.

theTactician
02-09-2006, 05:03
after using lead, fire your glock using fmj's to clean the bore. use it when youre already done firing. when you get home, remove the slide and barrel. clean the bore using wd40, pwede na yon panglinis lang naman. spray then clean using your cleaning kit. then after which, use any quality certified gun oil to lube your glock. dont put too much oil though coz it can attract dirt in the long run. just use a small amount enough to lube the gun.

thats what i do everytime im done shooting in the range.

kcboy
02-09-2006, 09:39
honestly, ako ive never cleaned my glock17c since i got it nung 03. hehehehe.

vega
02-09-2006, 15:47
Originally posted by theTactician
after using lead, fire your glock using fmj's to clean the bore.
Urban legend.

vega

Ersatz0906
02-09-2006, 16:39

scary, too much lead on the barrel then you fire FMJ baka ma built up too much pressure at mag KB.

theTactician
02-10-2006, 14:10
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vega
[B]Urban legend.

could be...but i've done this many times and it works just fine. i do this also with my HK and my colt. no fears of kaboom whatsoever. i do believe that using fmj's help remove lead build ups in the bore.

isuzu
02-10-2006, 18:41

Did it once, and it seemed not to clean the barrel. Nothing cleans the barrel like a good scrub.

For me, it's a myth.

theTactician
02-10-2006, 22:02
Originally posted by isuzu
Did it once, and it seemed not to clean the barrel. Nothing cleans the barrel like a good scrub.

For me, it's a myth.

i agree that nothing beats a good scrub in cleaning the barrel.

RTMonforte
02-11-2006, 06:24
Originally posted by kcboy
honestly, ako ive never cleaned my glock17c since i got it nung 03. hehehehe.

sir tanong lang,

ano work mo sa cheepuk,

sa airconditioning di kac ako

thanks

atmarcella
02-11-2006, 10:27
Originally posted by Ersatz0906
scary, too much lead on the barrel then you fire FMJ baka ma built up too much pressure at mag KB.

it happened to charles jalandoni, taga iloilo sya ersatz i dunno if u know him, ka batch namon ni jojo yap, he fired fmj's after using lead everytime in his 22c, one day....kaboom!.....he still blames jojo everytime he's drunk for doublecharging his reloads daw hehehehehe i'm sending my stock barrel to him one of these days when i have time, papahiram k lang:)

FalconTres
02-12-2006, 18:48
It's not a myth if it works. I had some lead fouling on my barrel before. Without any intention of cleaning, put some FMJs during a session. That removed the fouling. Maybe not advisable if lead fouling is heavy due to risk of kb!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vega
[B]Urban legend.

could be...but i've done this many times and it works just fine. i do this also with my HK and my colt. no fears of kaboom whatsoever. i do believe that using fmj's help remove lead build ups in the bore.

casmot
02-12-2006, 19:14
Originally posted by FalconTres
It's not a myth if it works. I had some lead fouling on my barrel before. Without any intention of cleaning, put some FMJs during a session. That removed the fouling. Maybe not advisable if lead fouling is heavy due to risk of kb!

It may or may not be an urban legend but I won't advise. If the lead fouling is light, it migth work. But why risk it, a little elbow grease would clean it as well. If the fouling is heavy, it would not only embed the lead more deeply but would also create an overpressure inside the barrel and KB!

If you have the time to shoot your gun then make time to clean it properly. Just my 2 cents....