Finally a Harley that's not an embarrassment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Harley that's not an embarrassment

NMGlocker
01-23-2006, 19:44
Finally a Harley thats not a total embarrassment.
Now if they's just put a motor from this century into it, it'd be worth letting a friend buy.
Wanna bet a Buell will be the first bike to get lapped at the Daytona 200?
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jan/060123n.htm
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/bwell.jpg

DriBak
01-23-2006, 20:09
How would the VRod motor do in the Buell?

Markcuda
01-23-2006, 22:26
Another punk thread;Q
I would like to meet you some day:cool:

flybywire
01-23-2006, 23:20
Jealousy comes in all forms.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-23-2006, 23:43
Looks like a toy until you start looking closely. A full-tilt *****in' front brake setup to be sure....

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-23-2006, 23:44
WOO HOO!! My first censored post!!

OJ
01-23-2006, 23:50
You could disguise it.;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/1977R100S.jpg

;z ;z ;z

NMGlocker
01-24-2006, 08:44
Originally posted by Markcuda
Another punk thread;Q
I would like to meet you some day:cool:
What would you do if you met me Mark?
Seriously.
Would you try and kick my ass Mark?
Are you a tough guy Mark?
;Q

Markcuda
01-24-2006, 08:50
No, no, no, no, you got me all wrong sir, I would buy you dinner if we ever had the good fortune to meet;)

fnfalman
01-24-2006, 09:10
The V-Rod motor won't be available on a Buell. Eric Buell himself had said this. The motor is too heavy and too big to fit into the bike's frame. He wants his bikes to be light and nimble, of which they are light and very nimble in slow, tight corners. Mr. Buell harbors no illusions that his bikes are the equal of Japan's or Italy's finests. Yes, his factory does churn out race bikes like the ones shown above, but at the same time he doesn't expect them to keep up with the other bikes either.

Rider's capability aside, as of current, nothing can touch the capability Japanese liter bikes. Period. The only one that would come close is the MV Agusta F4 1000. Maybe if Ducati were to ever release the Desmosedici for street ride or Aprilia finishes working on their V-4, then we'll see some competitions, but as of yet, nothing is going to be as fast as the big bore rice burners.

NMGlocker
01-24-2006, 09:33
The Buell with it's 1339cc motor is racing in the AMA FX class, against inline 4 600cc machines, inline triple 675cc, and twin cylinder Duc 749cc's.

BikerRN
01-24-2006, 09:53
Actually it's a Buell, not a Harley.

Buell is a subsidiary of Harley, but is it's own seperate brand. Just thought I'd mention it.

By the way, where do I go to get some leather grip tassles for that thing? I gotta have the black leather if I'm going to hang with the Harley crowd. ;)

Oh yeah, my closet. I got enough Harley crap to outfit a store. Maybe I'll have to buy a Geezerglide just so I can wear it again? Nah, garage sale is faster.

Take care and ride safe.

August
01-24-2006, 11:01
Golly, I think if that bike was painted that pukie, yukie, green color that they paint those yamasukiha bikes that karate you it would be cool. Those led tail lights and green paint would make it really a wonderful ride for motorcyles. Then some punk biker twerps could ride around on it doing wheelies and stopies and they would get all the chicks. What is that barf green paint called? Split pea diaper doodie??

Thanks for not embarassing the fraternity of motorcyclists by painting the world this barf green ninja poop color. I'm not embarassed anymore. Thanks.

BikerRN
01-24-2006, 11:35
;z

fnfalman
01-24-2006, 12:35
Originally posted by August
Golly, I think if that bike was painted that pukie, yukie, green color that they paint those yamasukiha bikes that karate you it would be cool. Those led tail lights and green paint would make it really a wonderful ride for motorcyles. Then some punk biker twerps could ride around on it doing wheelies and stopies and they would get all the chicks. What is that barf green paint called? Split pea diaper doodie??

Thanks for not embarassing the fraternity of motorcyclists by painting the world this barf green ninja poop color. I'm not embarassed anymore. Thanks.

But they do paint their bikes in translucent neon colors.;f Witness the CityX.

Also when I was at the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show, while waiting to test ride the Buells, the video was showing stunters using the XB12 and XB9 showing their skilz. Never say never.;a

Anyway, 150-HP on a low 400-lbs V-twin bike is pretty competitive. That's about how much a street certified Ducati 999R puts out. The street certified Aprilia RSVR Mille puts out 140-hp.

epsylum
01-24-2006, 20:25
Originally posted by fnfalman
Also when I was at the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show, while waiting to test ride the Buells, the video was showing stunters using the XB12 and XB9 showing their skilz. Never say never.;a

+1

There is some European street stunter that is actually sponsored by Buell, as in he gets free bikes from them to do all the "wheelies and stoppies and get all the chicks".

;)

Actually i can see a Buell being a good street stuniting bike. Tons of torque, a low center of gravity, and definately enough brakes (look at the size of those radial or whatever they are called brakes ;P ).

I somewhat like Buells, but would never own one. Not worth the cash IMO.

BTW I do liek the NR750-like gas tank. ;)

Romulas
01-25-2006, 23:14
buell?!

ewwwwww! no! bad rider! buell=crap.

mmsig229
01-26-2006, 14:58
That's truly a fugly "MC." If I want to go slow and stop slow, I'll take my FXST. If I want to go fast and stop fast, I'll take my 929RR. I never could understand bikes trying to be something they're not.

BushyAR15
01-26-2006, 23:01
I'd like to ride it. Eric Buell was a big fan of the TZ250 and even raced it. He based the geometry of the Buell XB on the TZ.

If some of you "haters" spent some time reading the Motorcycle Racing Mags like Road Racing World, you'd know that a season or two ago, There was a Buell XB that was cleaning clocks in its class. It was beating Ducatis and most of the other V-twin type bikes in its class. A very good motorcycle. These guys that raced that Buell weren't out to win a Championship, but they did it. They were fairly surprised....

The thing about that Buell FX is the price tag, 30k, quite expensive IMO. But I don't think they are targeting the avg. club racer with that bike.

What I'd really like to see is HD bring back a VR1000 with the VROD engine...

Markcuda
01-26-2006, 23:04
Bushy, we got alot of "Ricky Racers" on this forum;f ;f

c5367
01-26-2006, 23:47
For some strange reason, I like the Buells. Erik Buell is certainly not afraid to innovate, and alot of the design features are interesting. I'm not sure how they work in the real world, though.

Certainly nicer than their HD brethren.

c5367
01-26-2006, 23:54
But they do paint their bikes in translucent neon colors.;f Witness the CityX.

Anyway, 150-HP on a low 400-lbs V-twin bike is pretty competitive. That's about how much a street certified Ducati 999R puts out. The street certified Aprilia RSVR Mille puts out 140-hp.

the 999R puts out 150, the standard 999 puts out 140. Neither can touch 100ft/lbs of torque though

fnfalman
01-27-2006, 09:24
Originally posted by c5367
the 999R puts out 150, the standard 999 puts out 140. Neither can touch 100ft/lbs of torque though

And neither have an extra 200-cc displacement either. The bigger the displacement, usually the more torque coming out of it.

epsylum
01-27-2006, 09:57
Originally posted by BushyAR15
I'd like to ride it. Eric Buell was a big fan of the TZ250 and even raced it. He based the geometry of the Buell XB on the TZ.

If some of you "haters" spent some time reading the Motorcycle Racing Mags like Road Racing World, you'd know that a season or two ago, There was a Buell XB that was cleaning clocks in its class. It was beating Ducatis and most of the other V-twin type bikes in its class. A very good motorcycle. These guys that raced that Buell weren't out to win a Championship, but they did it. They were fairly surprised....

The thing about that Buell FX is the price tag, 30k, quite expensive IMO. But I don't think they are targeting the avg. club racer with that bike.

What I'd really like to see is HD bring back a VR1000 with the VROD engine...

Also to be fair IIRC the Buell was running in a 600 class (600cc I-4s and 750 V-twins) with a 1200 (or 1000 can recall right now). No surprise it won with 75-100 percent more displacement.

If you are trying to tell me any Buell can beat a Gixxer 1000 at anything you are out of your mind.

fnfalman
01-27-2006, 10:33
Bushy, we got alot of "Ricky Racers" on this forum;f ;f

If we were to want to ride slow, we'd buy scooters and putt-putt around.;f ;f

BushyAR15
01-27-2006, 15:34
Originally posted by epsylum
Also to be fair IIRC the Buell was running in a 600 class (600cc I-4s and 750 V-twins) with a 1200 (or 1000 can recall right now). No surprise it won with 75-100 percent more displacement.

If you are trying to tell me any Buell can beat a Gixxer 1000 at anything you are out of your mind.

Here we go again.....Motorcycle Racing 101....

IF you were ever to actually participate in club level racing rather than "bench racing" or basing a bikes performance strictly on the "stats" sheet manufacturers show you, or results in the AMA Superbike Class, I'd say YES, a Buell like the one pictured with me riding it and you riding your choice of any year GSXR1000, on a given track, I'd beat you hands down every time....

The reality is there are rules to Motorcycle racing, just like the NASCAR racing you problably watch. The AMA has rules as to which classes a particular sized motorcycle can race in. V-Twins for example that use pushrods are allowed to race against inline-4 600s. The displacement difference means "NOTHING". And based on your statements, shouldn't Ducati have won more AMA races a couple years back when in-line 4 were limited to 750ccs since the Ducatis were allowed to displace closer to 1000ccs? But I think if we look back, thats NOT the case. Mat Mladin rode a GSXR750 Superbike long before the GSXR1000 was allowed to race in AMA Superbike, and was winning against 1000cc Ducatis.

As an example I raced my TZ250 (the "250" stands for 250ccs) in several classes. I raced against V-twin SV650s. I was giving up 400ccs. So, based on your assessment/statement you're saying that it wasn't fair to me to have to race against a bike I was giving up 400cc to cause they'd naturally win since they were of a bigger displacement.

WRONG!!!!!!!

That year the top 4 bikes in that class were all TZ250s. Including mine.

And last but not least is rider/racer ability. I could give you Mat Mladin's Championship winning GSXR1000, and I'll take Roger Lee Hayden's ZX6RR or Jamie Hacking's R6 and I'll still beat you on any major racetrack regardless of the displacement difference.

Sorry my friend, your argument holds absolutely NO water....

Markcuda
01-27-2006, 16:28
Like I said "We have alot of Ricky Racers" on this forum
I rest my case;f :cool:
Bushy, they don't want no stinkin' facts here;)

epsylum
01-27-2006, 16:53
BUshy I understand how it works, just that many of the rules are sort of just thrown out there until someone complains. They aren't made to be fair.

Examples.

The pushrod air-cooled v-twin displacement and weight advantage in NHRA Pro Stock bike. It was just out there becasue it sounded good, until V&H started dominating. Then they started adding weight and other things to try and even it back up.

The old rules of Superbike was 750cc, no matter what. The Ducati started complaining because they refused to make anything other than a V-twin. So they granted them 1000cc and 750cc in the 600 class plus a weight advantage. Now that it is 1000 across the board the V-twins still have a weight advantage.

You say you ran 250s against 600s. Yes you are at a disadvantage powerwise, but a TZ250 weighs almost half that of a 600cc sportbike. It is still cool that you can win even with the power disadvantage. But what would you have though if someone who won on a 600 bragged about beating 250s. That is my point. Same applies here.

NMGlocker
01-27-2006, 17:05
Bushy, where do you race at?
I'll be at Arroyo Seco (http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/) this next year, I'm still working a getting my ZX6RR set up for the track (gotta hurry cause March is gonna be here soon).
The TZ250 is fun in the corners (friend of mine races one), but suck wind when the track straightens out, especially when you are 6'3" 190# like I am.
The 600's are a great balance of forgiveness, cornering and speed, and easy to go fast on. My ZX10 is a monster on the track, way fast but always ready to spit you off if your throttle control is lacking (way more fun as a street bike).
Hey Mark, why don't you ride your land yaht of a Harley down to Southern New Mexico and watch what real motorcycle riders do for fun? I think all that cold weather has slowed your brain function down, maybe some sun would do you good.
You can buy me that dinner you've been promising as well.
;n

Markcuda
01-27-2006, 17:13
Hey Mark, why don't you ride your land yaht of a Harley down to Southern New Mexico and watch what real motorcycle riders do for fun?
Wow, I would like to:cool: What I do for fun in Illinois in the winter is ride, I rode 350 miles yesterday and 250 today:cool: and also had time to stop at the indoor range and shoot 100 rounds;f ;f

NMGlocker
01-27-2006, 17:20
Like I said....... brain function like sloooooow molasses.
;5
Sunny and 60+ degrees average temp year around is the way to live.

Markcuda
01-27-2006, 17:22
Yes, I know but how many miles did you ride in the last week?;Z ;+
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2003 Ultra Classic,Gunmetal Pearl.

Took ownership on 2-1-2003

Miles in 2003=43,054

Miles in 2004=68,000-best year.

Miles in 2005=58,068

Miles on bike=170,000

The Ultra has been in all the lower 48 states.

fnfalman
01-27-2006, 17:31
I'm not a real racer, I'm one of those "Ricky Racer" types. But I do know this much, WSB/AMA/WERA rules and regulations and classifications aside, the fact is that a twin-cylinder bike has to run larger displacement than a four-cylinder in order to be competitive. When they run similar displacements, there simply is no comparison.

And since that machines don't ride on their own, rider's ability mean more than machine's capability. Of course if the riders' abilities are similar then the more powerful machine will win.

I applaude Erik Buell's efforts to make his bike competitive against more techologically advanced vehicles. He has the gumption to try to do the impossible. Just like Ducati and their devotion to making a V-twin as powerful as possible (desmosedici engine aside). And it's nice to have an alternative even though the alternative may not be there with all the "numbers". Otherwise, we all would be riding Japanese crotch rockets.

Anyway all this philosophical talks give me a headache. I'm going for a ride.

NMGlocker
01-27-2006, 23:17
Yes, I know but how many miles did you ride in the last week?
Well, since I have a real job that occupies 8 hours of each day and only get to ride for about an hour a day before it's time to play with my 3 year old boy (priorities ya know).
I'm guessing 250 miles or so a week. I've been averaging 1000-1200 miles a month since October. Since race season is coming up, the majority of my riding is all within a 1 mile radius. I have 3 sets of corners that get worn out this time of year.
Right now the majority of my riding looks something like this:
(trying out the wifes 636)

Short Cut
01-27-2006, 23:24
Once upon a time I was of the impression that four cylinder 100+ horsepower bikes were the only thing worth owning. That is until I rode some lightweight torquey twins and *gasp* thumpers on twisty mountain roads. I found that not only were their power bands more enjoyable, but the lighter weight made them every bit as fast in the really tight stuff.

Yeah I bet that Buell would be a kick in the pants. ;?

Markcuda
01-28-2006, 06:58

Hell, I can do that ;Z :ladiesmn: ;+ :cool:

BikerRN
01-28-2006, 08:56
Originally posted by NMGlocker
Well, since I have a real job that occupies 8 hours of each day and only get to ride for about an hour a day before it's time to play with my 3 year old boy (priorities ya know).
I'm guessing 250 miles or so a week. I've been averaging 1000-1200 miles a month since October. Since race season is coming up, the majority of my riding is all within a 1 mile radius. I have 3 sets of corners that get worn out this time of year.
(trying out the wifes 636)

Is that Arroyo Seco Racetrack?

I want to get Evangelina to the track this Spring. :)

c5367
01-28-2006, 09:10
Yes, I know but how many miles did you ride in the last week?;Z ;+
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2003 Ultra Classic,Gunmetal Pearl.

Took ownership on 2-1-2003

Miles in 2003=43,054

Miles in 2004=68,000-best year.

Miles in 2005=58,068

Miles on bike=170,000

The Ultra has been in all the lower 48 states.

OK, anyone can drone out thousands of miles putzing along on the highway. Can't say I'm impressed. Droning out miles isn't my idea of real motorcycling. YMMV, of course. I will grant you that it is better than the RUBs that buy 30k Harleys and trailer them everywhere.

This is my idea of riding

http://home.comcast.net/~c5367/exit.jpg

To each their own. Enjoy the ride!

NMGlocker
01-28-2006, 10:31
Hell, I can do that
Ohhhhhhh yea, quick footnote to the pic, I'm doing around 65 to 70mph in that pic.
You were saying?
~chatter~
Any monkey can cruise the interstate at 70mph, how many times have you touched a knee down on that Hog? And by touching a knee down, I don't mean kneeling next to it on the side of the road working on it.
;N

NMGlocker
01-28-2006, 10:34
Originally posted by BikerRN
Is that Arroyo Seco Racetrack?
The pic is of our "secret" test/practice area.
Arroyo Seco is not nearly as scenic.
;f

Short Cut
01-28-2006, 11:08
Any monkey can cruise the interstate at 70mph,

Dang what's with the condescending tone? You have something against seeing the country on a motorcycle?

I'll tell you this much, when I've been touring and I see another rider with the gear that clearly shows they are traveling too, it's never once mattered what brand of bike either of us were riding. The conversation was more about where we had been and where we were going.

Off road, MX, sport riding, road racing, touring - it's all good and we should all support each other's rights to ride. Petty bickering and snarky comments are of no help. ;?

NMGlocker
01-28-2006, 12:53
Any monkey can make a backhanded snarky comment, about other people making snarky comments.
;n
I don't give a crap what you ride. But if you take yourself too seriously, then I take great pleasure in poking you with the sharpest stick I can find. It's been my experience that a certain riding demographic has the thinnest skin, and therefore is the most fun to poke.

Short Cut
01-28-2006, 14:54
Well it makes you sound like a jackass, but I figure you already know that.

Markcuda
01-28-2006, 15:13
Well it makes you sound like a jackass, but I figure you already know that.

Yup, I'm sure he is well aware of it.
Any one can drone out miles at a time=
;f ;f
If only you had a bike you would want to ride a 1,000 miles a day;Q
I bet 100 miles at a time and you are ready to call it quits, yup, a true rider there;f You wannabes crack me up;f

Get this, now you are going to poke fun at me cause I have seen all the lower 48 states(on my Ultra) and you have the balls to say anyone could do it;z ;z ;z ;z ;z
Hell, I'll ride 500 miles just to eat super:cool: :cool: I'm sure you would also? ya right;z ;z ;

Short Cut
01-28-2006, 15:26
If only you had a bike you would want to ride a 1,000 miles a day;Q

I've done a few of those from CA to MT and CO and vice versa. It's a long days ride no matter how you slice it, but memorable too. All the lower 48, that's awesome. I'm envious. There's no better way to see the country than on a motorcycle. Good on ya, Mark. ;?

Markcuda
01-28-2006, 15:34
I have seen so much country and met so many nice people, on bikes and cages, that I would never trade those memories for anything in the world :cool:
Some day the Ultra will see Alaska ;Z but I don't want to drive through Canada to get there;)
Ride what you all want but don't put me down for riding the way I do.
Why in the world would I want to race around a track when I can get out and meet new friends and see Gods creation of this world?
But to eack their oun:cool: :cool:

NMGlocker
01-28-2006, 15:43
I've seen your pictures....... you look like you don't miss many meals, so I'm POSITIVE you'd ride 500 miles to eat.
;)

Markcuda
01-28-2006, 16:43
You punk, you couldn't hold a candle to my riding style;Q
I would buy you super and I would help force feed you also:cool:

NMGlocker
01-28-2006, 21:05
You punk, you couldn't hold a candle to my riding style;Q
I would buy you super and I would help force feed you also:cool:
So..... you're back to playing "tough guy" on the internet again huh?
;Q

Markcuda
01-28-2006, 21:09
No no no no no no, you got me all wrong again;Z

Cryptoboy
01-29-2006, 11:24
NMGlocker, how old are you again?

With all your negative comments, you sound more like a jealous 16 year old kid. And yes, it DOES sound like you care what people ride. Why else would almost every other comment out of your mouth be "Harley sucks" or "Finally a Harley that's not an embarassment?"

Most Harley riders (RUB's don't count) either started out riding sportbikes, or something other than a Harley. The first bike I rode on was a Yamaha Seca II back in college. Quite a few of them still have other brands in their stables (I saw a Ducati 916 on Ebay last week, and almost used my spare cash to by that instead of another car!)

Not like it matters what I say. It's all about what YOU think.

Mark, next time you get gown into the southwest area, let me know! ;f

Markcuda
01-29-2006, 17:55
I could ride on down to Tempe, do lunch and then head on back to Clinton, all with in 3 days;f ;f I'll buy:cool: :cool:

fnfalman
01-30-2006, 10:34
Of course, if one were to ride a BMW, one could ride all day, scratch some knees in the corners and ride back without breaking a sweat.;e

NMGlocker
01-30-2006, 11:32
http://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/mod_smilie_hey_you.gif

August
01-30-2006, 11:47
This NM guy seems like a real peach, to me. He has a set of core values and beliefs that is clear and focused. He sets a standard for rationality and insightfulness that we might all take a lesson from.

He is a responsible family man. He never risks his well-being so as to jeprodize his family's safety and welfare. He spends his spare time at the track to avoid influencing his child's development. His wife, also, does not have hime under foot.

He is a model citizen, always cooperating with the police and other civic representatives. He always comports himself in exemplary fashion when in public -- particularly when on his motorcycle. In this way, he engenders positive regard for motorcycles and the motorcycling fraternity. All motorcyclists should strive to live up to his standard.

I think we should memorialize his contributions to the sport of motorcycling by establishing a rally in his town. Here's my idea: we identify his home town, we set a date, we all ride to his place and celebrate his many contributions. We can, at that time, buy him dinner and share our appreciation of his many insightful contributions to these boards. In this regard, may I suggest that all brands of motorcycles be welcomed at this rally. My initial suggestion is that we have patches denoting the rally. Design should absolutely include the sphincter that most characterizes NM and his wonderful work.

Markcuda
01-30-2006, 12:04
August, what you really ment to say was that he is a punk;Z ;Z ;Z ;Z ^6

fnfalman
01-30-2006, 12:27
NMGlocker does show a certain disdain toward Harley-Davidson products. But then I think that we can say the same about the Harley crowds and their feelings toward crotch rockets.

Tit for tat, I say.

If you can dish it out, then you better be prepared to take it.

I'm just sittin' back and enjoy the popcorn.;f

NMGlocker
01-30-2006, 18:30
You guys want to organize a Shriners parade in my town....... ahhhh how cute.
I'm sure the bondage parade that you guys call a Harley rally would be a blast to watch. I've never seen so many grown men wearing vests without shirts and assless chaps.

Let's play a game, I call it "Homo or Harley Guy":
One picture is from a HD rally, the other is from a Mr. Gay San Diego contest.

Which are the homos, and which are the Harley Guys?

Pic 1:
http://www.milwaukeerally.com//Images/Gallery/GALLERYIMG_10_352.jpg

Pic 2:
http://z.about.com/d/gaylife/1/0/x/3/sdl1.jpg

Pic 3:
http://z.about.com/d/gaylife/1/0/q/3/sdl5.jpg

Markcuda
01-30-2006, 18:34
I'v always said that you are nothing but a little punk and you are proving that time and time again;z

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-30-2006, 19:17
This is highly entertaining ;c

NMGlocker
01-30-2006, 19:34
http://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/mod_smilie_hey_you.gif

Markcuda
01-30-2006, 19:50
~chatter~ ;1

epsylum
01-30-2006, 20:23
Only one way to settle this, the man's way.

a DANCE-OFF!!

okay I didn't say what kind of man. ;f

"Oh, it's ON!!!"

;e

Markcuda
01-30-2006, 20:27
I would go toe to toe with him;f ;f

NMGlocker
01-30-2006, 21:07
I have to warn you....... I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Cryptoboy
01-30-2006, 23:32
I have to warn you....... I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Did you use mommy's credit card? I know you aren't old enough to get a room on your own after all......

ChaZ
01-31-2006, 00:08
"Can we....can we all get along?" -Rodney King

-ChaZ

Cryptoboy
01-31-2006, 10:53
C'mon ChaZ, live a little! We're poking fun at each other! It's all fun and games until someone loses a spleen!

;a

gixxer11
01-31-2006, 17:09
I'v always said that you are nothing but a little punk and you are proving that time and time again;z

You're suuuuuuuuuch a bad ass!!!! Did you put on all your leather "riding" gear before you made that remark? Cause that would be soooooo bad ass..

This is fun. I'm with ya NM!

fnfalman
01-31-2006, 17:19
Everybody had called it quit. So, let's not start anything again, please?

Markcuda
01-31-2006, 17:35
gixxer11, sounds like you are just another punk also
;Z

spober
01-31-2006, 18:52
I would think the v twins gobbs of tourqe would make it a joy to ride.much easier to ride respectably than a RB with on/off switch.these things are targeted twords ,well ,the poser just like other harleys.

NMGlocker
02-01-2006, 10:19
Everybody had called it quit. So, let's not start anything again, please?
~okie~

Gratiot
02-04-2006, 17:17
Now if they's just put a motor from this century into it, it'd be worth letting a friend buy. Wanna bet a Buell will be the first bike to get lapped at the Daytona 200?

That motor looks like it'll rock in that package! I for one am super enthused about another American manufacturer building a real sport bike! As for getting lapped... Buell has amazing factory support, far beyond any other manufacturer. Add on the rich Harley Davidson support, which is what skyrocketed the salaries across the ama paddock back in the nineties.. you know they won't have bad riders onboard them. Its already been reported that four HD dealership sponsored teams have hired ex-world superbike, motogp, etc. to race Daytona this year.

I just wish I could afford to race one.

bmxr
02-06-2006, 22:37
...whoda thunk it ;g

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=24920

I think it's interesting to see the AMA (and most of the sanctions for that matter) bend over backwards year after year to dumb-down the rules to give H-D/Buell an incentive to participate. Maybe if they didn't the "Motor Company" would have a reason to come up with a modern race-capable motor? (the V-Rod motor does not fit the bill, btw) Unfortunately, the reality is that H-D would just "take their ball and go home", and the promoters love H-D's $$$. Oh well, at least the AMA Sportster 883 class is a distant (smoking) memory ;f

You know, I actually would like to see a fast, respectable H-D for once but I am afraid I don't know what it will take. They threw more money at the problem than anyone thought possible in the 90's (H-D and Ford together) when they had Pascal Picotte and Scott Russel riding the VR1000's, but anyone with a shred of honesty will concede that the program was a complete and utter failure. Pascal rode the wheels off those things for years and they usually ended up smoking on the side of the track.

Personally, I think it's sad that Buells are so slow that they allow 1200cc Buells in Ultra Light Weight Superbike in the CCS and I get to race against them on my 625cc single cylinder "dirt bike"

http://freeridesouth.com/pics/pictures/6931.jpg

Back on topic again, as for mounting a serious race effort against other privateers, I KNOW I could be more competitive spending my $30k on an 06 R6. The only ones of these that you will see going fast for the next couple of years will be factory "back-door" teams like the "dealer-sponsored" teams headed to the 200 this year.

fnfalman
02-07-2006, 11:23
Damn, is that the 625SMC? How come you didn't stick your leg out in that corner?;f

norton
02-07-2006, 16:53
Originally posted by BushyAR15
Here we go again.....Motorcycle Racing 101....

IF you were ever to actually participate in club level racing rather than "bench racing" or basing a bikes performance strictly on the "stats" sheet manufacturers show you, or results in the AMA Superbike Class, I'd say YES, a Buell like the one pictured with me riding it and you riding your choice of any year GSXR1000, on a given track, I'd beat you hands down every time....

The reality is there are rules to Motorcycle racing, just like the NASCAR racing you problably watch. The AMA has rules as to which classes a particular sized motorcycle can race in. V-Twins for example that use pushrods are allowed to race against inline-4 600s. The displacement difference means "NOTHING". And based on your statements, shouldn't Ducati have won more AMA races a couple years back when in-line 4 were limited to 750ccs since the Ducatis were allowed to displace closer to 1000ccs? But I think if we look back, thats NOT the case. Mat Mladin rode a GSXR750 Superbike long before the GSXR1000 was allowed to race in AMA Superbike, and was winning against 1000cc Ducatis.

As an example I raced my TZ250 (the "250" stands for 250ccs) in several classes. I raced against V-twin SV650s. I was giving up 400ccs. So, based on your assessment/statement you're saying that it wasn't fair to me to have to race against a bike I was giving up 400cc to cause they'd naturally win since they were of a bigger displacement.

WRONG!!!!!!!

That year the top 4 bikes in that class were all TZ250s. Including mine.

And last but not least is rider/racer ability. I could give you Mat Mladin's Championship winning GSXR1000, and I'll take Roger Lee Hayden's ZX6RR or Jamie Hacking's R6 and I'll still beat you on any major racetrack regardless of the displacement difference.

Sorry my friend, your argument holds absolutely NO water....

The TZ 250 is a built from the ground up race bike. The SV 650 suzy is a steet bike pretending to be a race bike. Not really a fair comparison.
I think TZ's are cool, as were the old TZ 750's that used to dominate the Daytona 200.
The AMA is stuck in a dilema. They want to keep the classes fair, but the majority of their audience at places like flat track races are Harley riders, so they have to bend the rules-slow down the Jap bikes-to keep the audience interested.
They used to run Harley 883's at the road races, at places like Mid Ohio, Daytona-
You could time their laps with a sun dial
;)

American4guns
02-07-2006, 16:53
harley sucks huh lol.Mine runs like a top and i canride 200 miles a day and feel fine when i get off.i can lay it into turns and it handles flawlessly.Besides my wife wont let me ride jap bikes anymore.;m
And the fringes benefits are pretty good.chrome dont get you home but it'll get you laid
thats not my bike ,but that is my wife and her bike

fnfalman
02-07-2006, 16:59
Originally posted by American4guns
harley sucks huh lol.Mine runs like a top and i canride 200 miles a day and feel fine when i get off.i can lay it into turns and it handles flawlessly.Besides my wife wont let me ride jap bikes anymore.;m

I'm not one to knock on Harleys, but come on now. Harley can be laid into a turn? The only Harley that I know of that can take a decent curve is the Street Rod.

American4guns
02-07-2006, 17:10
ever ride a dyna lowrider?i lay that bike over as far as the pegs will let me.i change my pegs as much as i fill the up the tank(ok maybe not that much).Its not a race bike in any way.I had all kinds of bikes.i started with a harley and for most harley riders its more of a cultural thing,life style.I'm not talking about the yuppie A wipes that drove the prices to outer space.They are posers!with their shiney new assless chaps and the new bikes with every concievable piece of chrome on it!
I like bikes,period! And on todays roadways i have respect for anyone who throws thier leg over the seat and rides.I just dont like yuppies;m

Markcuda
02-07-2006, 17:13
American4guns, come over to www.HarleyShopTalk.com
You would feel right at home with us over their
:cool: and so would your wife;+ ;Z

fnfalman
02-07-2006, 17:16
ever ride a dyna lowrider?i lay that bike over as far as the pegs will let me.i change my pegs as much as i fill the up the tank(ok maybe not that much).Its not a race bike in any way.I had all kinds of bikes.i started with a harley and for most harley riders its more of a cultural thing,life style.I'm not talking about the yuppie A wipes that drove the prices to outer space.They are posers!with their shiney new assless chaps and the new bikes with every concievable piece of chrome on it!
I like bikes,period! And on todays roadways i have respect for anyone who throws thier leg over the seat and rides.I just dont like yuppies;m

I don't think that yuppies can afford Harleys.;a But I know what you mean. Just as we speak, a contractor claimed that his Deuce is four years old and has four thousand miles on it. I guess that's some sort of mileage achievement or something. I told him that my least ridden bike has 1500-miles in two months.

American4guns
02-07-2006, 17:40
LoL i had 3k in the first month.I rode that pig to the bathroom.
I was riding in the winter ,however it did get a little to cold a few times.And yuppies can afford harleys,thats why it cost me $100 for the smallest of parts from a dealer.They drive prices up on everything.Harley Davidson sold us out,so they could cater to the yuppy market.Sometimes I'm almost embarrassed when i go to the dealer for something .Fearing i may be grouped in with the yuppy swine.LOL then i look in the mirror and see i have'nt shaved in 2 weeks and i dont have any assless chaps on in July.I do wear chaps when its really cold.For me they are a tool.For yuppies they are some kind of fashion statement.GRRRRRRR freakin aholes:(

BikerRN
02-07-2006, 18:39

I used to ride an '03 FXD until I got smart and sold it.

The bloody thing was reliable and comfortable to ride 800-1200 miles a day on. The problem though was hinted at in your post. It's too easy to scrape the pegs. I thought I was Ricky Racer because I was dragging metal around the corners. I've since learned that dragging the pegs ain't that hard and you really aren't over very far when you do that on a Harley.

Try riding a Ducati sometime. It's a whole different world, but one that I can do the same miles on, with more smiles per mile. :)

bmxr
02-07-2006, 19:59
Damn, is that the 625SMC? How come you didn't stick your leg out in that corner?;f
That's my SMC, and it is the most fun bike I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot of differnt rides). For me, it's faster knee down on a wide open road course with no dirt section JenningsGP). On a true supermoto track or a kart track I will ride foot out sometimes; if it's slippery or if I'm defending a line through a tight turn ;f

And the fringes benefits are pretty good.chrome dont get you home but it'll get you laid
thats not my bike ,but that is my wife and her bike
Just to be clear, I for one did not say that all Harleys suck (whether I believe it or not), but you are talking apples to oranges here. The Buell XB-RR is a factory built race bike so comparing any cruiser (and its chrome and cruising capabilities) to it is like coomparing your Glock to a blender. Within the context of this thread NO cruiser handles worth a spit and definitely do not handle flawlessly. But if it gets you laid with your wife, then I guess it's worth whatever you paid for it ;g I get laid in spite of my bikes not because of them ;f ;)

American4guns
02-07-2006, 20:17
Originally posted by bmxr
That's my SMC, and it is the most fun bike I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot of differnt rides). For me, it's faster knee down on a wide open road course with no dirt section JenningsGP). On a true supermoto track or a kart track I will ride foot out sometimes; if it's slippery or if I'm defending a line through a tight turn ;f

Just to be clear, I for one did not say that all Harleys suck (whether I believe it or not), but you are talking apples to oranges here. The Buell XB-RR is a factory built race bike so comparing any cruiser (and its chrome and cruising capabilities) to it is like coomparing your Glock to a blender. Within the context of this thread NO cruiser handles worth a spit and definitely do not handle flawlessly. But if it gets you laid with your wife, then I guess it's worth whatever you paid for it ;g I get laid in spite of my bikes not because of them ;f ;)
Do yourself a favor and dont let your mouth write checks your body cant cash.Keep you mouth shut about my wife,dont say a friggen word where my wife and the word laid are in the same sentence.scumbag

bmxr
02-07-2006, 20:24
I didn't insult your wife, but I will use smaller words and simpler sentences from now on.

Now you can feel free to continue the ridiculous "yuppie scum" bashing that obvioulsy comforts you so...

;Q

Markcuda
02-07-2006, 20:29
American4guns, some idiots just think when ever a person owns a Harley and a wife at once, that he got the girl because he has a Harley;) Just because some punks can't get a girl with out a bike;P
I see you are now a member of HarleyShopTalk:cool:
Come over, I posted a welcome for you:cool:
Well, some of us I see are still playing with little bikes;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

NMGlocker
02-07-2006, 21:32
;d
Let the stupidity continue!!!!

Markcuda
02-07-2006, 21:34
See what I told ya, just another punk wannabe biker;z ;z ;z ;z

BushyAR15
02-07-2006, 21:42
I can't remember where I read this, but Harley doesn't have any interest in producing a "sportbike" under the Harley "banner". They say that sportbikes are not a market they are interested in as they basically have the "cruiser" market locked up. They say they want to focus on their "core" area, which is cruisers.

Yeah, I'd take a 600 any day. Yamahas have always been good to me!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~artandmich/images/PPIR_Aug_01_1.jpg

Originally posted by bmxr
...whoda thunk it ;g

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=24920

I think it's interesting to see the AMA (and most of the sanctions for that matter) bend over backwards year after year to dumb-down the rules to give H-D/Buell an incentive to participate. Maybe if they didn't the "Motor Company" would have a reason to come up with a modern race-capable motor? (the V-Rod motor does not fit the bill, btw) Unfortunately, the reality is that H-D would just "take their ball and go home", and the promoters love H-D's $$$. Oh well, at least the AMA Sportster 883 class is a distant (smoking) memory ;f

You know, I actually would like to see a fast, respectable H-D for once but I am afraid I don't know what it will take. They threw more money at the problem than anyone thought possible in the 90's (H-D and Ford together) when they had Pascal Picotte and Scott Russel riding the VR1000's, but anyone with a shred of honesty will concede that the program was a complete and utter failure. Pascal rode the wheels off those things for years and they usually ended up smoking on the side of the track.

Personally, I think it's sad that Buells are so slow that they allow 1200cc Buells in Ultra Light Weight Superbike in the CCS and I get to race against them on my 625cc single cylinder "dirt bike"

http://freeridesouth.com/pics/pictures/6931.jpg

Back on topic again, as for mounting a serious race effort against other privateers, I KNOW I could be more competitive spending my $30k on an 06 R6. The only ones of these that you will see going fast for the next couple of years will be factory "back-door" teams like the "dealer-sponsored" teams headed to the 200 this year.

gixxer11
02-08-2006, 07:41
Little bikes, big motors! Sure, your crusiers can ride all day. That's what they were made to do! Can it cover the quarter in 9 sec flat on street tires, no bar, and without spending $10 trillion? Grinding floorboards is easy (trust me, I know!) Do it on a ZX-6R (or a KTM!!!!!) That's something to brag about. We're not punks, or wannabes, buddy. We're the real thing, just newer. There are posers on all types of bikes. There are real riders on all types of bikes. Remember that. Yeah, I'll take the Pepsi challenge. I'd meet you in person, Mark, but you'd have to ride to me:) 1340cc motor in a GSXR750 isn't what you'd call a highway bike. 14.5:1 comp won't take it. Oh yeah, I've never had a problem getting girls on the back either. Even took a couple home from the "Harley" bar. Got some looks, but what are they gonna do? Probably their daughter........... I've been riding for 21 years, and I'm 28 now, just to let ya know.

BushyAR15
02-08-2006, 08:03
This has been an "interesting" thread.

I think it just comes down to where you are in your motorcycling "cycle". I remember when I was young kid, I always wanted a Harley. Growing up, a neighbor across the street was a "biker". He had TWO girlfriends living with him. Always had a party on weekend day. Looked like the life to me.

When I got into sportbikes, didn't want a thing to do with Harleys. Used to call them "Rolling Lazy-Boys".

As I got older, I realized that each type of bike had a purpose. Drag-bikes, sportbikes, cruisers, dual-sport, etc. All built for a purpose.

Yeah, I used to race. Too many "get-offs" has my old body hurting on those cold days or when the weather changes. I can't ride on the street in a crouched-over position anymore. Wrists hurt like hell as does the lower back.

What works for me now is a cruiser. And if I'm going to have a cruiser, its going to be a Harley. Which I have now. Yeah, its a V-rod, but its still a Harley. I really like it and it fits the bill.

What I enjoy most is cruising the canyons without some poser-racer trying to egg me on. Cops also seem to ignore me on those road where as before I'd get stopped for even going 5 over on my Ducati or whatever sportbike I owned at the time.

Dragging a knee is no biggy. First time you do it its cool. After you do it awhile and especially when you race its like twisting the throttle. You don't even think about it. What you do think about is that you've got to get your knee off the ground once you know where you are (lean angle) cause you can go throw a set very easily in a race weekend. And as a racer, you've got other things to spend that 25-50 bucks on instead of a set of sliders.

As far as dragging things on a Harley. Yeah, I would like a little more ground clearance on my V-rod. I've dragged a peg and radiator shroud just coming home and round the corner. Sucks as I've got a custom paint job. One thing it showed me is how easy it is to run wide on a corner on a Harley. It just doesn't have the ground clearance. If you pitch it too hard at any real speed, you'll grind hard and lowside. Not something you really want to do.....

I guess thats it....

gixxer11
02-08-2006, 08:20
to Bushy: Amen.

I see it coming. V-rods are sweet, BTW. A friend has one. Yes, I would love to own one.

fnfalman
02-08-2006, 10:51
Bushy,

Why V-Rod and not Street Rod? You'd have a lot more lean angle on the Street Rod.

Cryptoboy
02-08-2006, 12:24
Bushy,

Why V-Rod and not Street Rod? You'd have a lot more lean angle on the Street Rod.

The Stree Rod is a fairly new model keep in mind. Depends on what year Bushy bought his bike.

fnfalman
02-08-2006, 12:29
'Tis true what you said. But it doesn't take but a quick hop to the local dealership for some wheelin' & dealin'.;f There's no reason to not have both comfort, fast motion AND corner carving ability at the same time.

BushyAR15
02-08-2006, 19:26
I just like the V-rod better for where I am now. The street-rod had just come out. I could have bought a brand new Street Rod, or buy a very lightly used V-Rod that someone already did all the things I'd want to do to mine such as a custom paint job, pipe, re-map, and just a bit of "bling".

The problem I've found in the past when I tried to give up sportbikes and racing is that if I got something even mildly capable, I'd push it. I did that twice in the canyon and wound up pretty badly hurt because I exceeded the capabilities/limits of both bikes.

So with the V-rod I know exactly where that is and am now willing to live-within them.

But believe me, when its a nice day around here and the temps are right I completely miss the racetrack....

TreeTrooper
02-11-2006, 20:47
[

BikerRN
02-12-2006, 00:32
Within the next 5 years I hope we see the V-Rod engine in an Electra Glide (Geezer Glide). :)

I love the motor and think it has real potential for a street bike. I am not a fan of the V-Rod as it is because of the smaller than small gas tank.

I know HD is trying to hold on to the past, and it has worked well for them, but I can always go get the Shovel I sold if I want the past. I'd really like to see what the V-Rod would do in a touring platform like the Road King or Electra Glide. If HD did that I may be tempted to get a Harley again.

James Riesgo
02-12-2006, 02:50
OKAY ALREADY! ENOUGH OF THE BUELL-****!

Cryptoboy
02-12-2006, 10:54
Originally posted by BikerRN
I know HD is trying to hold on to the past, and it has worked well for them, but I can always go get the Shovel I sold if I want the past. I'd really like to see what the V-Rod would do in a touring platform like the Road King or Electra Glide. If HD did that I may be tempted to get a Harley again.

Actually it's more they are catering to what the people want. People are more into the classic look (or I guess you could call it 'old school', whatever!) Ford's on that bandwagon too when you get down to it, look at the new Mustang, and look how well that thing is selling!

You aren't the first to suggest the V-Rod motor in a touring bike. It could very well happen, with the tightening EPA restrictions that keep on happening. It would be an interesting move, but would it hurt to help HD, that's what we'll just have to wait and see.