Lag with high-speed connection? Please help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lag with high-speed connection? Please help

RF7126
01-23-2006, 22:03
I'm really hoping someone here can help me with this. I recently got a "high-speed" connection (RoadRunner unfortunately). It works great with most downloads, but with some games and a few downloads it's at least as bad as 56k. Does anyone know why, or what I can do about it? I was so psyched to play America's Army and Galaxies on the new connection until I found that I was getting 200-500 ping. It doesn't appear to be spyware because it runs great outside of those games, and I know it's not hardware (exclusively anyway), so I'm out of ideas.

funbob
01-24-2006, 00:24
What cable modem are you using? What's your upstream connectiong speed? Are you using a router? If so, what model? How many splitters are installed? Is the cable modem on a splitter? Need more info before your problem can be diagnosed.

RF7126
01-24-2006, 01:24
I actually don't know much about the whole cable modem thing. I can tell you that it's connection speed is 400 mbps. I do have to use a router, it's a toshiba PCX2600. If by splitter you mean multiple connections, then no, it's just hooked up directly to the one computer.

Bikewer
01-24-2006, 17:57
There are a variety of things that affect latency or "lag". Not only your connection, but the way your rig runs the particular game, the number of people playing, the graphic settings on the server side, and many more besides.

What kind of ping are you getting? I generally won't join an online game unless I'm getting something in the 100ms range. (and hopefully under)

RF7126
01-24-2006, 18:21
Well, the strange thing is that I'll get 20-40 ping on Call of Duty, but between 200-500 on America's Army, even when everyone else has 20-40. I know it's not just the graphics because the training is very smooth, the only lag is very obviously connection based (smooth, then halting, then smooth, etc.).

Glacked79
01-28-2006, 05:10
Being almost strictly an AAO player, I may know what's going on. For some odd reason, my pings always appear higher than what they show to others in the server. I may sit at 53 and everyone else sees me at 30. While on a server, ask someone to tell you what they see your ping. Might just be that, although 200 is a bit much. I don't even get that high a ping on the european servers.

Are you playing COD at specific times then AAO later on (or earlier)? Cable connections tend to run slower when tons of people are on - DSL doesn't have this problem. So, if you're on trying to play at 1800hrs every night, you might just have a greater number of people on at the same time eating away at your shared bandwidth. Unlikely, but stranger things have been known to happen.

I cannot remember if AAO has connection settings like BF2 does. I know with BF2, you need to set your connection properly in game to have it work properly - something simple like putting "Cable" when you have cable has been known to fix many issues with BF2. Dunno for AAO.

Lastly, if you can't get it working, head over to www.16aa.com and post up. Some of our resident uber-geeks might be able to walk you through some stuff to streamline your system. I've had a few issues that they knew how to fix right off the bat with very vague information from me. Tell them you met Hollow on glocktalk.com and they will help you out - if not, I'll get on them!

RF7126
01-28-2006, 05:28
Thanks, I'll give some of those a try. :)

Glacked79
01-31-2006, 09:24
Did you get it fixed?

RF7126
02-07-2006, 18:08
Sorry for the late reply. It did help a little to play at odd hours, but unfortunately it didn't work to change the connection speed to cable. I've tried some other tricks I've found on forums but nothing seems to work. I guess AA just doesn't like me. Thanks for your help though. :)