disabled and trying to get back into shape [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : disabled and trying to get back into shape

ret_marine2003
01-24-2006, 01:03
Good morning,
I have been pretty good at staying on top of my old physical tharapy routine but have slipped over the past three years. I can do pushups, situps, and I's and T's and have been the whole time, but thats about it.

I can't remember what the whole routine consisted of.

I have arthritis in my knees, elbows, and back. It is not crippling and I have learned to live with it and work every day.

I get a small disability pension for my back, and my feet. (broken bones)

I need some help getting back into a full routine, time is starting to pass me by and I can feel it.

I had a depression earlier this year when I lost a family member, gained some weight and lost some muscle.

I dont really have anyone to work out with anymore, most of the people I work with dont care if they are in shape or not, so I have to be self-determined.

The distance is too much for some of my good like-inded friends and there is a serious lack for good physical trainers in my area.

I have learned to work through the pain every day, pain does not bother me, what does bother me is how easily fatigued I have been lately.

I have onle half the stamina I had a couple of years ago.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

gunguru1
01-24-2006, 21:11
If you are just trying to keep in shape you might want to consider swimming for exercise. I wouldn't think swimming would aggravate arthritis or foot problems. I know that if I am depressed and I have a good aerobic workout I feel a whole lot better.

Best of luck,

gunguru1

Steve7
01-24-2006, 21:17
Ditto on the swimming recommendation. It take Glucosemine and Chondrotin (sp?) it really helps with joint pain.

Slotback
01-25-2006, 00:48
I agree wholeheartedly on the swimming. It is a great way to get into shape/stay into shape. It is also easy on the joints.

Write down some fitness goals and put them in several places, so that you see them daily. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it becomes to progress towards those goals.

DBradD
01-26-2006, 11:06
I guess I'm about like a broken record around here.

I think one of your worst enemies is gaining a bunch of fat, especially because it seems like you might be accustomed to being much more active and getting away with eating a lot over the years.

Get a handle on your diet and the number of calories required to maintain your bodyweight. There are numerous posts in this forum that discuss this subject, what to eat, how many calories you need, etc.

DBD

ret_marine2003
02-02-2006, 02:03
Thanks for the advice.

I will try to find someplace with a pool.

As for the diet, I do good there except the wife likes to make pasta about three days a week.

I have to be carefull with my diet anyways, I have a strong family history of diabeties.

45acp4me
02-02-2006, 07:31
Originally posted by ret_marine2003
Thanks for the advice.

I will try to find someplace with a pool.

As for the diet, I do good there except the wife likes to make pasta about three days a week.

I have to be carefull with my diet anyways, I have a strong family history of diabeties.

See if your wife and start mixing in some whole grain or whole grain blend pasta instead of the regular stuff.

Can your knees put up with a bike or elliptical machine?

ret_marine2003
02-02-2006, 17:26
Yes, it is all about pain management for me.
The more active I am the less I notice the pain.
The worst time for me is when it is cold and damp, (like right now in Michigan)and getting up after sleeping is usually painfull.

45acp4me
02-02-2006, 21:50
If you can handle an elliptical or bike, try doing it for at least 35 to 45 minutes two or three times a week. Duration is key with cardio, you need to go for at least 20 minutes before you really start to burn fat. Swimming takes even longer as your body temp stays lower.

Good luck!
Glen