Recommend a .357 mag snub, and a .22LR rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a .357 mag snub, and a .22LR rifle

horge
01-24-2006, 20:26
Please recommend a .357 mag snub, and a .22LR magazine-rifle.
It's for a 5'5", 115 lbs woman distastefully familiar w/ the M1911.

The revolver's for serious purse-carry.
The rifle for treating her case of gottohaveit-itis,
Recommendations on .357 ammo (recoil, yes?) deeply appreciated.

Money is always tight ;)

Thanks,
horge

lakay
01-24-2006, 21:07
Heard good things on the ruger 10/22 rifles.. It comes with a rotary mags(cap 10) and it's a semiauto ..parts availability is relatively not a problem(abundant supply of mags, barrels,stocks, accessories, etc at twinpines). I ordered mine at twinpines during the last gun show.

isuzu
01-24-2006, 21:26
For a .357 revolver, I would suggest a barrel length of at least 3". 4" would be a good length barrel. My friend has a 4" S&W and I tried it before. Recoil wasn't that bad as I first thought.

New_comer
01-24-2006, 21:59
The blast of a 357 in a snub nose would be severely annoying, which might prevent meaningful practice, and may introduce flinching. Besides, the short barrel would negate whatever extra power a magnum round would have over the spl, as most of the power would be wasted in the blast, not to mention the harsh recoil.

I would suggest instead a 38spl +P, airlite in S&W, hammerless, 5 rounds (nasa 50T yata ito) or its Taurus counterpart, Ultralite (17T siguro?). Remingtons Golden Sabers in 38 spl would be a good round for it. The lighter weight would be a plus factor too in daily purse carry.

But if it really must be a 357, there's a 3" Ladysmith with rosewood grips that I've been drooling over at Stronhand. Check that out.

No experience with the 22lr rifle, but I've nearly bought the 597 Rem for 20T. Good reviews from most boards I checked, though it appears the 10/22 is the standard in that arena. I've also considered the Henry rifle for its easy storage, backpacking characteristics. Saw a couple at Twin pines Galeria also for about 20T.

Good luck!

Allegra
01-24-2006, 22:39
Originally posted by horge
Please recommend a .357 mag snub, and a .22LR magazine-rifle.
It's for a 5'5", 115 lbs woman distastefully familiar w/ the M1911.

The revolver's for serious purse-carry.
The rifle for treating her case of gottohaveit-itis,
Recommendations on .357 ammo (recoil, yes?) deeply appreciated.

Money is always tight ;)

Thanks,
horge

She must be an incredibly tough girl
Do ko ma-take ang .357 especially on a snubbie
The recoil is ok , pero the blast and noise nakaka migraine
Anyway this is my choice -

SW 686 kung wala yung 66 kung wala yung 13
357 ammo - I guess carbomb este corbon pala
I've tried both combinations and kasing laki ng bilao yung apoy from a 2 inch barrel . Pero patay naman lamok sa paligid ko

.22 definitely wala ng tatalo sa remington 10/22 , plastic stock
Dami accessories pwede gawin hunting , sniper , plinking pati machinegun pwede kasi meron siya banana type mags avail

vega
01-24-2006, 23:26
Originally posted by isuzu
For a .357 revolver, I would suggest a barrel length of at least 3". 4" would be a good length barrel. My friend has a 4" S&W and I tried it before. Recoil wasn't that bad as I first thought.
+1
I introduced my wife on a snub revo which was a big mistake. It was only a 22 but she could see the "spark" flying at her sides. I let her try the 4" 38 afer a few months and that was agreeable with her. Perhaps your wife can handle the snub. The only 38 revo I have is a Taurus 4" barrel and I have no problem with it. 4 years ko nang hindi naipuputok yon.

How about an Armscor 22 rifle. My Dad used to have one with Squires Bingham barrel and it was deadly accurate. He sold it and I tried to buy it back but the guy wouldn't hear of it.

vega

Eye Cutter
01-25-2006, 00:24
horge: here is a taurus model 85 4in .357 revolver. It is too big for purse carry.

the taurus 5 rd .38 special snubbie or the NAA .22 mag single action revolver are perfect for purse or pocket paired with a good holster.

for the 22 rifle. check out the CZ rifles at PB. taurus, gundog and i can hit spent 22 lr shells with boring regularity out to 35-40 meters at pb range.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/aagustin11563/DSC00318.jpg

Mang Danny
01-25-2006, 03:09
My personal choices:

22lr rifle --- Ruger 10-22 the 1911 of the 22's. I have one with over five thousand rounds. Nothing broken yet, except mags.

357 snub ----- Ruger SP-101 2" or 3" barrel. A bit on the heavy side but tames recoil just fine.

horge
01-25-2006, 04:24
Thanks a lot guys, more info would be most helpful.

The rifle
Armscor .22LR rifles are very attractively priced, but she hates
the stocks. Dunno if the specimens we looked at were representative,
but they didn't inspire confidence. She seems to want something with a synthetic stock and stainless or nickel-plated steel.

How much does the Ruger 10/22 cost (gulp!), and who sells it?
The CZ rifles look really pricey...
The Remingtons doubly so ;P
Shot a Henry Survival Rifle once. Not what she's looking for.
I'll swing by PBD, and maybe a few Twin Pines outlets later this week.

The snub
She's used a .38 Special snub before, and thinks she can
handle the step up to a .357 Magnum. I know better than to try
to convince her otherwise: maybe it's a no-lose situation for me,
because if she decides she doesn't like the .357, then I can try to
sequester it.
;)

But seriously... she WILL likely need a carry piece later this year.
.38 Spl. in +P sounds reasonable, so at least there's a fallback.
Most 'Taurus' dealers I've seen carry the semi-autos:
where to look for the wheelguns? Yung matino kausap re licensing, ha?

Man, just when the gunshow discounts are no longer there for us,
THAT'S when she gets interested!

357 ammo - I guess carbomb este corbon pala
;z
Good one, Allegra.

Eye Cutter
01-25-2006, 04:40
magkano na ba mga taurus revolvers?

horge
01-25-2006, 04:52
Yeah. Magkano nga ba?
All I have is New_Comer's post (guess?) that the
Taurus Ultralite .38 pings around 17k.

Eye Cutter
01-25-2006, 05:12
17k? hmmm...that is too rich for a 5 shot snubbie for me.

nrmcolt
01-25-2006, 05:50
I was drooling over a Taurus .357 snub in(Stainless and Blued)from Trust Trade from the last gunshow, if I remember it correctly yung 7 shot nasa P19-20k, maganda yung gawa mukhang pulido.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=CF2

;c

antediluvianist
01-25-2006, 06:27
I suggest you ask her to try somebody else's .357 snubby before buying one. I echo what others have said : .357 in a SNUBBY is a LOT of recoil, and a BIG fireball. Self-defense might easily require more than one shot and recovery time will be long. Firing that thing at night - and many if not most muggings occur at night - will be blinding.

horge
01-25-2006, 07:34
Thank you all, for confirming a few suspicions
(recoil, muzzle flash, and report)

I had her read all of your cautionaries/warnings.
To little avail... medio matigas ang ulo niya, e.
It certainly runs in her family
;Q

Probably an independent-feminist thing at work here, so
I just might ask my wife to try and talk some sense into her.

Again, thanks to everyone for all your advice
:)

Eye Cutter
01-25-2006, 07:52
a well proven .38 special round will be just as effective as a blazing .357 magnum without the fireball and the deafing roar!

hmmm... even a .22LR or a .25 cal mousegun is better than having nothing at all for that matter! don't get me wrong, but it seems to me she's suffering from a case of bigger is better syndrome!

;e

Django
01-25-2006, 08:10
A .357 snubbie is a lot of gun.

But since your wife has decided on it and the other BOGs have given you a lot of choices as to brand, let me recommend that you stoke your handcannon with 110 grain bullets for lesser felt recoil.

Remington's and Winchester's would do fine. Peformance on gelatin is a tad lower than the 125 grs. manstoppers but decent enough to deliver one shot stops on two legged predators 8 times out of 10.

As for the .22 rifle, look at the semi-auto Brownings available at Twin Pines for less than P 20 thou. Or the Taurus .22 rifles distributed by Trust Trade for the same amount. Pretty nice heft and balance for budget guns.

horge
01-25-2006, 09:05
Hi Django,

The woman looking for a snubbie isn't my wife :)

She's just a friend, and yes, I think Alvin's got her attitude pegged.
'Bigger is better' seems to be at work here.

New_comer
01-25-2006, 09:11
I might be able to pass by Trust trade tomorrow and get the prices of their snubbies. Last I checked, plain jane M85's were 15K, Alloy Ultralites nga at 17K, while the titanium blues and grays were at a whopping 25T. The beautiful SW Ladysmith at Stronghand was pegged 36T, while the SW Airlites hover at the 45-56T ;P range at Twin Pines.

I haven't been to PBD, but I was able to help my brother get his first firearm there last year: a very handsome Brazilian Rossi 38spl S/S 4" six shooter with full underlug & adjustable sights for only 12T. Missed out on a 6" Cyclops Rossi 38spl then selling for only 24T, IIRC. There was a Ruger GP41& Sp101 then at 26T, but the proprietary Ruger 'ruggedness' (as in 'ngeee...') may turn you off.

Django
01-25-2006, 09:16
Ooops. Sorry wrong number Horge. ;f

i_am_infinity
01-25-2006, 09:58
"Friend" pala eh... ;f ;f tulongan na natin guys...it's for a "friend" ahehehe ;)

seriously, if ur thinking snubbie revo go for the Ruger SP101 i love the grip on this one...rifle either the ruger 10/22 or a marlin m700 yata ung naka mag feed eh...

TacticalShot
01-25-2006, 10:49
Originally posted by horge
She's used a .38 Special snub before, and thinks she can
handle the step up to a .357 Magnum.
OK, if she thinks she can handle the step-up to .357 Magnums, then let her shoot some full-power magnums from a snubby first and then let's see what she thinks.

Last time out with my snubby I put 50 rounds of S&B 158gr magnums going at around 1350fps out of my 686Plus. I shot double-action (which is how I practice with my SD guns) at man-sized targets at 25yds. putting all shots (save for maybe 3) inside COM. Even at 5'10" and 185 lbs., everytime my snubby spits out its load I knew I was holding down a snorting bronco.

And the 686Plus is not something light she can use as a purse gun.

http://fernando.smugmug.com/photos/46013392-M.jpg

She may be better off choosing a J-frame for daily carry and then simply load it with hot +P .38 Specials.

http://fernando.smugmug.com/photos/47481469-M.jpg

Now for the .22 rifle, nothing beats a Ruger 10/22 for the sheer fun of it.

On a side note, from the prices that you've mentioned, it is so sad that you guys have to pony up about 75% more than the amount those guns sell here in the U.S.

horge
01-25-2006, 17:18
from the prices that you've mentioned, it is so sad that you guys have to pony up about 75% more than the amount those guns sell here in the U.S.

Ain't that the truth :(

And thanks, I'm 'negotiating' with a relative (who really dislikes this girl)
to let her shoot his prized Colt Python. He won't let it out of sight,
but he doesn't want to be within earshot of her.

It always gots ta be somefing ;Q ;f

isuzu
01-25-2006, 18:14
Slightly off-topic, but does anybody know if Ruger PC9 (9mm) or PC40 (40 S&W) is available in the Philippines (or could it be licensed)? I think it's also a nice house gun paired with Ruger pistols (you can use the pistol's magazine on the carbines). It would be a good combination because you could use one magazine for the pistol and the carbine.

There was a feature of those carbines at Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement about five years ago, and it said the trigger pull of the PCs weren't that great, and a little tweaking by the gunsmith would solve it.

Dok
01-25-2006, 19:26
horge: ruger 10-22 cost 22-23T sa twin pines. synthetic stocks with stainless barrel is available.

Allegra
01-25-2006, 19:29
Mali ako , ruger ba yung 10/22 hindi remington
Sabi na nga ba ulyanin na eh