139 db Stebel Nautilus Compact Twin Tone Air Horns! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 139 db Stebel Nautilus Compact Twin Tone Air Horns!

ChaZ
01-24-2006, 23:21
I just got it from www.adventurersworkshop.com for only 35.95 and man, it is compact! Can't wait to use it to replace my stupid bmw road runner "meep meep!" horn.

Is 139 db a killer? I don't think so. Here in Arizona, all cars have their windows up and drivers always turn up their stereo up or yak on their cell phones.

My evil plot to make everyone deaf like me will be now possible! *evil scientist laughs*

Will have it installed soon and will let you guys know what if the BMW mechanics did have their ears bleed out when they test it. :)

-ChaZ

FoxMustang
01-25-2006, 08:24
139dB is loud, loud enough to cause pain. I'd wager to say it'll definitely get the attention of any cager :)

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

My brother had a set of air horns on his car from AutoZone; they were loud enough to scare the living crap out of other drivers.

fnfalman
01-25-2006, 08:49
Chaz,

Let me know how well it works. I'll retrofit my Beemer to take it too.:) I'd love to roll up on a bike night where the crotch rocket boys blaring their D&D exhausts and just hit the horn button to drown that bleeting sheep racket out.;f

Compy
01-25-2006, 10:35
I'm wondering if it might be just as bad for you as it will be for others. In a car you have the advantage of a cab to isolate you from most the noise of the horn. On a bike, you're right out there with it.

fnfalman
01-25-2006, 11:18
I'm sure it'll be loud to the rider but they are aimed foward AND I wear earplugs anyway.:cool:

FoxMustang
01-25-2006, 14:11
Originally posted by Nosferatu
I'm wondering if it might be just as bad for you as it will be for others. In a car you have the advantage of a cab to isolate you from most the noise of the horn. On a bike, you're right out there with it.
Yeah, you'll probably want ear plugs so as not to hurt yourself, but you'll have the benefit of knowing when you're going to honk so it won't be a suprise :)

ChaZ
01-26-2006, 02:49
Thank you for your concerns, guys. But... I am already deaf.

Way too deaf, 95% loss in right, 97% loss in left year.

-ChaZ

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-27-2006, 04:59
What?

ChaZ
01-27-2006, 15:03
Very funny, Bob. :)

Had the horn installed. Wow! All of mechanics were impressed and that there was no difficulty to have it installed between fork tube right under the triple clamp. I didn't have chance to use it yesterday because no one tried to change into my lane while I'm still occupying it.

However, I was in right lane of a street and up ahead, there was a car that wanted to make left turn (but he has to cross my lane in order to do that) from a parking lot and there was another car on his right trying to make right turn into my lane and he didn't see me because of the left-turning car was blocking his view. I pressed on horn to let the right-turning guy know that I have right-of-way. He stopped so fast and looked around confused. *laughs*

I love it. It's VERY loud that I can even hear it and the level of loudness causes bit discomfort in my both ears.

fnfalman, go ahead and switch your horn. You'll love it!

-ChaZ

fnfalman
01-27-2006, 15:29
YES!!!!!!!!! ONE LOUD HORN COMING UP FOR THE ROCKSTER!!!

Rock me, Amadeus!

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-27-2006, 19:31
Did you get the "compact" or "standard" version of the nautilus? They're both rated at 139db but the orientation of the horns is definately different.

I really like the idea.

whogasak47
01-28-2006, 10:59
I see a a black set in the regular size on the goldwing . thanks
Good Luck and ride safe.http://www.bayou.com/~whogasa/wing.JPG

ChaZ
01-28-2006, 18:07
Originally posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs
Did you get the "compact" or "standard" version of the nautilus? They're both rated at 139db but the orientation of the horns is definately different.

I really like the idea.

I got the standard size. Compact version wasn't there when I ordered the standard. At least mine fit in without any problem.

Drove past my old workplace, was tempted to honk my horn so I could wave at my former co-workers. Heh heh...

-ChaZ

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-30-2006, 11:46
I just ordered one like yours.

Who knows, maybe I'll put one in my car too, I like the idea of a loud horn.

ChaZ
01-30-2006, 11:58
Yes, you can use it in a car. 12 volts...

Loud horn is good! This morning, an old guy tried to change lane and I was in his blind spot. One short blast and he jerked back in his lane. He looked at me and was suprised that I'm only a motorbike, not a semi. :D

It works very well with many snowbirds here who have hard of hearing.

-ChaZ