bullet weights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bullet weights

Ersatz0906
01-26-2006, 19:15
hello mga sir,

just wanna ask about bullet weights.
ano ba advantage at disadvantage nang lighter or heavy bullets?

and how do you know what bullet weight is right for your guns?
ano ba effect sa short or long barrel also in caliber.

thanks po sir :)

Allegra
01-26-2006, 19:46
I'll let the guys answer the other ?s
But long barrel vs short barrel in terms of accuracy - equal "daw"
Nabasa ko lang yan, havent done an experiment
Kasi pistol rounds are short and fat

mc_oliver
01-26-2006, 20:03
After trying everything, short of the 40cal 230gr with N310, I can offer this advise: None of it really matters if you miss even once.

I (now) follow only 3 rules when it comes to ammo:

1. Works in my gun 100%
2. Fairly accurate
3. See rules 1 & 2
;)

With that out of the way, it all boils down to feel. At the same PF, the lighter bullets will kick more towards your palm but the gun snaps back faster. The perception is that the gun shoots flatter but with a relatively higher blast.

The heavier bullets tend to torque the gun, flip it higher & longer, but the recoil feeling will be "subjectively" softer.

Try it.

Just don't try it in a match. ;f ;)

New_comer
01-26-2006, 20:43
Originally posted by Ersatz0906
hello mga sir,

just wanna ask about bullet weights.
ano ba advantage at disadvantage nang lighter or heavy bullets?

and how do you know what bullet weight is right for your guns?
ano ba effect sa short or long barrel also in caliber.

thanks po sir :)
for the same caliber: light=fast, heavy=slow

If you subscribe to the 'energy-dump' principle of one-stop shots, the higher bullet speed equates to greater energy for the projectile as defined in the energy formula 1/2m(v sqrd). Combined with the efficacy of a properly designed bullet in releasing this kinetic energy, all of it can thheoretically be dumped into a target introducing the greatest tissue trauma, hence enhancing the round's stopping power. Hollow point/frangible bullet technology revolves around this principle as evidenced by the proliferation of very expensive ammo like Corbon, Talon, Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, Powerball, Glaser, RBCD, etc. One look at traumatized tissue sampled with any of these bulets will make a believer out of anyone. But as mc_o said, all this is moot if you w\miss your target.

The heavy=slow principle subscribes to the fact that higher momentum built up by a heavy slug can push aside any obstacle in its path, be it bone, cartilage, thick skin or clothing, light partitions, etc that a light and fast one may have trouble penetrating. FMJ's are primarily designed to hurt deep into its target, giving it the most chances to injure vital organs like the spine, brain, heart and promote one stop shots. There was an occassion about a year or so ago of a 9mm FMJ being able to stop a full gallop charge of a mother brown bear! THe almost point blank shot, IIRC, penetrated the thick coat and embedded itself at the shoulder joint, stopping the charge. The luckiest of shots! But if it were a light bullet, I doubt if the hunter would have lived to tell his tale.

Longer barrel means longer sight radius which promotes accuracy at longer ranges. Try sniping at a 4" target at 50 yards using your snub nose revolver, then your 5" 1911, and see which is easier to make a hit. ;)

New_comer
01-26-2006, 20:57
[b]and how do you know what bullet weight is right for your guns?[b] If you want the best of both worlds, there is always a middleweight round for every caliber. For 9mm, the 124-127 gr FMJ's seem to work best for two legged predators. This is halfway from the 95 gr light and 147 heavy ones. I'm not too familiar with 45 rounds, but it is obvious that the caliber itself is the icon for the big and slow principle. Though I could remember there are 135gr screamers build for the caliber; standard of course is 230gr.

Ersatz0906
01-26-2006, 21:19
thanks...

I use subcompact G27 .40, and the only imported JHP bullets that is available is winchester supreme SXT 180grains in our area.

what can you say about that round? and its weight?
.40 bullet weights range from? lightest xxxgrains to heavy xxxgrains?

mc_oliver
01-26-2006, 22:18
With a short barrel, the light loads will give off more blast. This can cause you to flinch and/or blink. Stick to the 180's unless you shoot open and already numb to the blast. ;)

MR_BIG
01-27-2006, 08:30
i used to be it the fast/light bullet/ +P camp before, now as long as its JHP, is easy to control and has a 230gr stamped at the box, everything is good. sometimes you have to sacrifice power over controlability.

New_comer
01-27-2006, 09:44
thanks...

I use subcompact G27 .40, and the only imported JHP bullets that is available is winchester supreme SXT 180grains in our area.

.40 bullet weights range from? lightest xxxgrains to heavy xxxgrains?

IIRC, the lightest, and best performing of the .40 SW bunch for compact guns is Corbon's 135 gr JHP's. You're using the heaviest at 180, although in IPSC 40's typically use 200gr heads.

Ersatz0906
01-27-2006, 19:27
I'll try to look kun meron lighter bullets so that I could compare. lahat na bullets dito that I can get is 180grains, winchester JHP, armscore FMJ, at Talisman JHP nang twinpines lahat 180 grains.

Putok-Glock
01-28-2006, 06:32
I'll try to look kun meron lighter bullets so that I could compare. lahat na bullets dito that I can get is 180grains, winchester JHP, armscore FMJ, at Talisman JHP nang twinpines lahat 180 grains.

Masyadong mahal if you will be using the above factory loads just for comparison purposes. Besides you will need to shoot a lot of one load, say 500 rnds w/ 165gns heads for a few sessions, to aclimatize your nerves to the load's recoil characteristic. Then suddenly shift to another load w/ different head weight say 180 grns. This way, you will really notice the difference. But take note that all of the above loads must have approx. the same power factor.

The cheaper way to do it is to use reloads for 180 and 200grain heads. Both are available in the market. If you are not a reloader, instruct the one who does for you that the loads must have approx. the same power factor but w/ same specs (powder type, length, etc.) You can verify it w/ the aid of a chrono.

Allegra
01-28-2006, 07:23

Ersatz , I gather from your post na your new sa shooting?
Bro, napakaliit ng differences ng bullet weights na yan
I dont think you should bother w/ it muna
Techniques muna before the hardware

If I'm mistaken and yur a vet na pala, just ignore my post
:)

Ersatz0906
01-28-2006, 21:53
Iam no vet, But I have been shooting in the past on off on off lng and I havnt been interested in the past about the hardware until now. basta my baril at lead bullets ok na ko shoot na sa range ganun lng sa past...ngayon because sa tulong nang Glocktalk at fellow bogs I wanna Learn more... :) thanks to you guys I have learn lots of things, sometimes nga Im too shy to ask kasi baka kalukohan ang tinatanong ko sa inyo at ma sirmonan ako hehehe :)

Allegra
01-29-2006, 04:11
I think you should join the
BOGS sa range
Puro shooting techniques muna
Then when you at least learns the fundamentals , ikaw na makakasagot what hardware yu need

Ersatz0906
01-30-2006, 22:04
Thanks for the invitation Allegra, But said to say my location is in the province...
But Im planning to join one of the Gun clubs here.

Allegra
01-30-2006, 22:28
Thanks for the invitation Allegra, But said to say my location is in the province...
But Im planning to join one of the Gun clubs here.

Live in the provinc myself
I'm self taught :)

New_comer
01-31-2006, 09:07
thanks...

.40 bullet weights range from? lightest xxxgrains to heavy xxxgrains? The 40S&W was once touted as a "solution to a non-existent problem". Introduced in the early 80's IIRC, it is supposed to bridge the 'miniscule' gap between two 'antique' semi-auto pistol rounds, the good ol' American .45ACP (11.5mm), born circa 1911 or so, and the .355 cal Luger or 9mm Parabellum developed several years earlier, prevalent in Europe and still is the pistol standard.

What started out as the brute 10mm round that most LEO's figured then as too powerful for practical use, evolved into the 10mm short, or your 40 S&W, sponsored by who else, Smith & Wesson. A recent metamorphosis is the 357 SIG, introduced not even 10 years ago, a 9mm crimped into a 40 case. The most recent cartridge to enter the 'pygmy' race is the .45Glock, a high pressure 45 with a case lenght of a 9mm.

But no matter what round you use, all handgun rounds are at best, only fairly decent stoppers at 65-95% depending on bullet head design. If you want a sure stop, nothing beats a 12ga slug, followed by 000 - 4buck with almost a 100% batting average. Even a large Master padlock is blown to bits with a shotgun slug.

The point to all this? Focus on hitting vitals. Hit the heart, spine or brain, a 22lr is just as effective as any other 'macho' round.