what do you carry ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what do you carry ?

QUEENGLOCK
01-28-2006, 18:42
ladies what kind of gun to you carry and why?why meaning the size, accuracy, ect. thank you

Emoore
01-29-2006, 12:08
G26. Small and accurate. :-)

LadyG23
01-29-2006, 15:55
G23 - that's what I shoot most of the time.

(I leave the revolver at home for my daughter's protection - since she hasn't mastered the G.)

Strange Destiny
01-29-2006, 18:31
Currently a Ruger P94 in .40S&W. After I get more familiar with my G20, that will be my CCW, or at least the one that stays in my car. When I go walking at nite, I carry a Taurus model 605 in .357 mag. Its small and easy to carry.

Cat91
01-29-2006, 19:05
Until today, I packed a Colt Detective Special for its ease of concealment and light weight.

I broke it today, so that's over. I was practicing pulling it out of my Coronado purse and lost my grip. It crashed to the floor on its left side, opened the cylinder when it hit the carpet. I thought it was okay, til the function test...you can pull the trigger, okay. The hammer falls, the cylinder turns like it should. But the hammer stays all the way forward and the trigger all the way back til you shove it forward, whatever spring is in it that returns the trigger and hammer to their full and upright position is ancient history, along with whatever other damage I did to its internals.

Damnit. Colt revolver smiths are about nonexistent as are the parts. This one'll be history, I can just feel it, and it only had about 100 rounds through it. Total. Damnit.

My other weapon was a G23, for the .40 power. But it hurt my hand, just like the first one I had...I have had a love-hate relationship with every darn Glock I've ever had. Every time I think I'm in love, I fall out of love about my tenth trip to the range. I'm like the classic abused girlfriend with these darn Glocks ;g how dumb is that? So I got rid of it two weeks back. AGAIN. You watch: I'll buy another one in about a year. I never learn. Ever. ;f

And instead of the Glock I invested in another Colt...what is it with me and Colts...only this time it was a Government Model, one of the Mk IV Series 70 reissues. I learned these guns in the Army and I like the .45, and it doesn't hurt to shoot, and it is really accurate. I'd planned to shoot it in IDPA every now and then and bang it up at the range. Maybe pack it now and again when I was in the mood.

Well, the best laid plans of mice and women go oft agley. Now, I am forced to depend on this big ol' horse pistol 24/7 for the foreseeable. It could be a lot worse...it could be something that unlike the G.M. has nada track record for this kind of application. Just think of me as "the Untouchables," or whatever ;). Thank God I wanted a G.M. when I went gun-shopping last week and not one of these huge-ass revolvers or something that's like 44 Magnum and with a six inch barrel, at least the 5" G.M. fits in my purse without problems, once I got the holster positioned right. I'd be S.O.L. otherwise.

So...to answer the question, I carry the ol' faithful Colt Government Model, Series 70 reissue, .45ACP. Because (1) it's what I have, and (2) it's all I need. All you gotta do is hit the bad guy once with a .45, and he'll go away :) .

Miao, Cat

c-mama
01-29-2006, 19:52
I am hoping to get out tomorrow night to take the concealed carry class. I'll be carrying my 65LS in my Coronado purse.

http://busybeescrochet.com/images/carrypurse.jpg

http://busybeescrochet.com/images/carrypurse1.jpg

http://busybeescrochet.com/images/carrypurse2.jpg

Glockgirl26
01-30-2006, 09:32
My Glock 26 is pretty much my constant companion. I have about 4 different holsters for it, depending on what I'm wearing. I also have a rarely used purse for concealed carry, and I rigged a fanny pack that only gets used to go to the gym.

My main duty weapon is a Glock 22. I also have a Glock 19 that I use for most of my range visits, and a Sig P239.

MrsKitty
01-30-2006, 19:44
My G23.

Might have saved my life once. I couldn't possibly leave it at home after that ;)

Vic303
01-31-2006, 19:59
When it's IWB carry It's the Dan Wesson CCO 1911, 4.25"barrel on an officer length grip frame in 45acp. Why? Because it carries SO well, I shoot it SO well, and I trust it.

If it's purse/fannypack carry or Smartcarry, it's generally the Taurus 605 2" .357mag wheelgun. Smaller, lighter and still packs a punch. It just doesn't carry IWB easily at all.

QUEENGLOCK
01-31-2006, 21:54
thank you for all your replies. i went and bought a g26. i traded in my taraus mill.45 for it and got it for 300.00. i think i did good.
now it can keep my g22 company. does anyone know if they make a barrel to interchange it to a .40 and where would i get one?
i haven't been to the range yet but i can't wait, i have heard some wonderful things about the 26. its a popular gun.
what is your rountine as setting up your targets. do you shoot the farthest away first or start close and go out. should 15 yards be the max on shooting far away?
thank you for your help.

Strange Destiny
02-01-2006, 20:24
Originally posted by QUEENGLOCK
thank you for all your replies. i went and bought a g26. i traded in my taraus mill.45 for it and got it for 300.00. i think i did good.
now it can keep my g22 company. does anyone know if they make a barrel to interchange it to a .40 and where would i get one?
i haven't been to the range yet but i can't wait, i have heard some wonderful things about the 26. its a popular gun.
what is your rountine as setting up your targets. do you shoot the farthest away first or start close and go out. should 15 yards be the max on shooting far away?
thank you for your help.

Good for you. That is a nice compact handgun. When I go shooting for self defense practice, I go to the range where I can shoot silhouette targets. I practice from 3 -15 meters. Sometimes, I will go down to 1 meter, just for practice.
If I am shooting individual targets at different ranges, I will shoot the further ones first. On shooting further away, I will go to about 25 meters at the max. That is about the furthest shot I would make outside. Inside my house the furthest would be about 7 meters.
Your results and mileage may vary.

Armed&Feminine
02-11-2006, 19:50
Sig P239

Lynn D
02-11-2006, 22:19
I carry a Kahr P9 in a Bianchi Professional IWB. Why? It's thin, light, and I can get my hand around it. I have small-ish hands, and have had thumb surgery on both hands, so I try to go for best possible ergonomics.

Just bought G19. I'm going to look for a good concealment holster for me, and if I can find one, I may carry the G19 on occasion.

Lynn

QUEENGLOCK
02-12-2006, 02:33
i'm sorry about your surgerys. i have had surgerys but not on the hands. i just traded a mill.pro 45 in on a g26. the mill pro is a good gun ,don't get me wrong i just didn't like it's accuracy. i shot it, my friend shot it and we kept coming up with the same pattern. shooting that close i would expect better results because i have been shooting for a while and shoot my g22 with deadly accuracy. the 45 surprized me and scared me at the same time. i decided it was time for a change and heard good things about the g26 so thats what i got.
i am very happy with it and the accuracy is where i want it to be. i practice with a deck of cards at 10 yds and have no trouble hitting them. i am very happy with my g26 and it will not leave my side.
i have a taraus 24/7 .45 that i shoot often and am very happy with it's results. could not be happier with it, the sights, the feel. i talked to a lot of people and read about it before i bought it. i'm glad i did, it stays on my end tables beside the bed.
i have shot a g19 and a g17 and were impressed by both. you made a good choice. you may look for a mikes side kick holster. they coome in different sizes. thankyou and good luck.

Lynn D
02-12-2006, 07:13
Thanks, Queen....

I've only got about 400 rounds though the G19. Love it so far. It's accurate. It's easy to shoot. And the re-set is oh-so-much-quicker than that of the Kahr.

As to my thumbs, they're long-healed, but my hand size just means that I can't get around some guns to the trigger. Beretta, Sig, etc. Nice thing is I can get a good reach in most 1911s. Someday want a Kimber but will have to save for it. Right now, anything I buy needs to be something I'm willing to carry.

I'm thinking I might make another trip to the range.....

Lynn

April
02-12-2006, 07:24
When I get my permit here in the next few weeks...

Primary will be a G26. Also plan on getting a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380) for when I can't carry the 26.

;f

Cat91
02-12-2006, 16:21
Primary's changed from the Colt Government Model to a much lighter alloy-framed 9mm Smith & Wesson Model 469, one we found new-old-stock direct from 1986. It's the direct ancestor of the third generation S&W Model 6904. Perfect for in-purse carry til my DS gets back from Colt.

Miao, Cat

c-mama
02-12-2006, 20:40
Originally posted by crochetmama
I am hoping to get out tomorrow night to take the concealed carry class. I'll be carrying my 65LS in my Coronado purse.

Tonight I sent out my paperwork, application and money order to get my permit. Very excited. ;f

Mrs. VR
02-12-2006, 20:51
Originally posted by crochetmama
Tonight I sent out my paperwork, application and money order to get my permit. Very excited. ;f that is SOOOOOO awesome, Deb! ~hg

rnchick
02-13-2006, 10:51
I carry a G 19 with Mepro tru-dot night sites- my little baby!

Jaegergirl
02-13-2006, 11:48
I don't carry yet but when I do, I'll be carrying my G26. :)

I'd love to have the Kahr PM9 to carry but the only range in town doesn't rent them and the last gun I bought, I bought without renting it first and I hate it so I said I'd never make another purchase without a "test run" first. :)

Lynn D
02-13-2006, 14:06
Hey, RNChick - How do you carry that G19? I'm looking for ideas. Also planning on getting night sights. Do you like the Meprolights?

Jaegergirl - It would be nice to be able to rent before owning, but there isn't anyplace nearby for that. I'll say that I shot a P9 owned by someone else before I bought mine. The reason I didn't buy PM9 was the shorter grip. I thought I'd like shorter, but I was surprised. Think about the P9 too. Best of luck.

Lynn

Jaegergirl
02-13-2006, 14:11
Originally posted by Lynn D
Jaegergirl - It would be nice to be able to rent before owning, but there isn't anyplace nearby for that. I'll say that I shot a P9 owned by someone else before I bought mine. The reason I didn't buy PM9 was the shorter grip. I thought I'd like shorter, but I was surprised. Think about the P9 too. Best of luck.

Lynn

I was concerned about the PM9 being snappy so that's why I would want to try it out first. Never thought about the P9 though..Might have to look at that one. The range in town has several guns to rent. Maybe I'll see if they have the P9. Thanks for the input. :)

DebraF
02-13-2006, 18:33
Well depends on the day but mostly I carry my G26. I carry it OWB in a Dillon 'master' @ about 330. Somedays it is my G19 also OWB. I also have a coronado CC purse and a fanny pack. I have carried IWB,a Threat Solutions UCR.

Deb

rnchick
02-13-2006, 19:17
Originally posted by Lynn D
Hey, RNChick - How do you carry that G19? I'm looking for ideas. Also planning on getting night sights. Do you like the Meprolights?

Lynn

I have a Galco purse ordered (Meridian). Right now I have a borrowed Galco holster...don't ask me which one. But I haven't found a way to really conceal it very well except to put the holstered gun in my purse...not the best siutation. I can't carry at work since I work at a hospital with a no tolerance policy. Mostly want to carry around town and when I travel to Ky (reciprocal CCW). As an alternative to the purse, I have read about the smartcarry system - might try it. I'm open to ideas. I am a small build 5'6", 125 lbs. I do carry a purse with me everywhere (except work).

The Mepro sites came already installed as this is a (barely) used gun. They are really bright, line up great...I have no problem. But remember, I am a new shooter too. I have read some really good reviews though about these sites.

QUEENGLOCK
02-13-2006, 19:43
rnchick, you will like the g19. i shoot one before and loved it.i'm short but weigh a little more than you 5'5 170. the 19 is accurate also and the night sights are incredible. i have them on my g22. i am thinking about having them put on my g26 i just got.
i carry my 26 on me in a miked side kick. i don't use a belt, this on clips on, i like it. i was at a friend house and we were taking turns shooting the 26. we ran out of targets so i grabbed a deck of playing cards and nailed some to the tree. we had a great time but really had to concentrate on such a small target but the 26 came through with flying colors. i stepped off 15 yds and put all 8 shots in the card.
talking about snappy guns, i shot the keltec p11 and it was a bit snappy. it wasn't a "fun gun" like the 26. have fun and be safe.

pixel218
02-18-2006, 11:29
I carry a G19 that I absolutely love. I learned to shoot with my fiance's Beretta 92 and it is huge, I have small hands. I carry my 19 either IWB or in an SOB holster. The SOB is easier for me to conceal, but I always worry about falling on it, so I don't carry that way often. I only carry OWB when going to the range, because it is difficult to conceal and my town is very anti-gun; you can be arrested if people see it and complain. (Disturbing the peace)