Any replica car/hotrod owners? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any replica car/hotrod owners?

Apocalypse_Now
01-30-2006, 20:26
My baby is a trick 600 HP cobra replica. I'm currently finishing the EFI conversion in her den and she will slither again this summer. What do you have? :cool:

BOBK48
01-31-2006, 12:57
Looks awesome! I have given some thought to building a kit car. The big questions is how do you get it registered?

Apocalypse_Now
01-31-2006, 14:48
All I needed was a certificate of origin from the manufacturer, and pay my registrion fees. In WA State there is not even a vehicle inspection, and out where I live not even smog checks ;b

If it's a cobra you want, check out www.clubcobra.com for all the answers and help you'll need. Probably the easiest to build is a Factory 5.. lots of tech support

Mine's a one of a kind custom similar to the old "Stallion" cobra replicas. I'm making the EFI conversion now and the only thing left to do is the custom aluminum fuel cell install and the day long dyno tune/computer programming :cool:

I hated the original carb because this thing sticks like glue to the road and the g forces in a hard corner would literally cause the carb bowls to overflow and flood the engine out ;g

BOBK48
01-31-2006, 23:38
Thanks for the info. I have seen a few Cobra replicas around here but never get a chance to speak with the owners. Factory 5 and ERA are the only ones I was considering.

Apocalypse_Now
02-01-2006, 10:52
Originally posted by BOBK48
Thanks for the info. I have seen a few Cobra replicas around here but never get a chance to speak with the owners. Factory 5 and ERA are the only ones I was considering.

Both good manufacturers for a starter or entry level cobra and there are many helpful people at club cobra with these makes. Of the two I would choose ERA for it's more authentic look. My cobra is not to original specs but it is vastly superior in several ways, being a heavily modified design. It has a spaceframe and 4 wheel drilled and vented power disc brakes for instance, and front and rear sway bars. It handles almost as well as a good Porsche

There's also some real egotistical jerks at CC but you can ignore them ;)

BOBK48
02-01-2006, 15:47
Every time I see a Cobra or a replica I am as excited to see it as I was when I saw the 1st Cobra on the cover of Road&Track. Boy that was a long time ago. By the way the ERA shop can't be more than 35-40 miles from where I am.

Apocalypse_Now
02-01-2006, 19:01
Originally posted by BOBK48
Every time I see a Cobra or a replica I am as excited to see it as I was when I saw the 1st Cobra on the cover of Road&Track. Boy that was a long time ago. By the way the ERA shop can't be more than 35-40 miles from where I am.

I think you have your answer then. BTW if the fever gets bad and you're actually able to make the plunge, most factories, including ERA, will give you a no-pressure guided tour. I think they are just as big of kids as we are, concerning hot rod toys :cool:

My next project (hopefully) will be a Lincoln Continental suicide door limo-hotrod. First I have to build a literal castle in a forest, our dream home. Then as I build it I have to find several well qualified part time volunteer chauffeurs ;)

bac1023
02-02-2006, 19:02
Very nice.

P7Heaven
02-07-2006, 18:53
Nice Cobra. I own a replica as well and am building a '32 Deuce Highboy with a Hemi in it.