Need exhaust opinions for truck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need exhaust opinions for truck

glockdeacon
01-31-2006, 15:46
I have an '04 Ram v8. Currently I have a glasspack in the stock muffler location. Should I get a dual tip set up or maybe upgrade to a Dynomax muffler? Dual setups are more for looks unless its a true dual. Anyone heard a Dynomax in a truck or other muffler they would recomend that wont break the bank?

-D

45acp4me
01-31-2006, 20:39
Magnaflow makes free flowing mufflers that have just the right note to them. They growl a bit when you get on it, but they don't drone at freeway speeds.

I think I still have a 3" one around some place I never used on a project.

spober
02-01-2006, 17:49
MY STOCK DAKOTA 4X4 5 SPEED/3.9 V6 IS SOUNDING BETTER ALL THE TIME.138,000 MILES AND THE MUFFLER IS BURNING OUT I GUESS.BUT MAN IT SOUNDS GOOD.LOWW RUMBLE.

MillerTime
02-01-2006, 18:19
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Magnaflow makes free flowing mufflers that have just the right note to them. They growl a bit when you get on it, but they don't drone at freeway speeds.

I think I still have a 3" one around some place I never used on a project.

I agree.. go w/ the magnaflow. This is a "cat back" system. All the pipes are pre bent to fit each model truck. They just bolt up to the cat. converter (one pipe) then into the muffler and comes out dual pipes.

MOBEEBO
02-01-2006, 18:31
If you want to get the most go with a new "Cat-Back" system. I would have a reputable local shop custom bend the piping for you rather than ordering a pre-made system. They can achieve the best clearance and weld it together without the bolted clamps. Also, I have both Magnaflow and DynoMax mufflers on my vehicles. They are both good.
You are right. Dual exhaust only works if it is a true dual and then the piping is smaller to keep up the pressure so you don't lose low end torque. With a single pipe system in and single pipe out of the muffler you can get piping that is a little larger to get good flow. Again, go to a reputable local shop and ask their advice.

;c

lakota169
02-01-2006, 21:47
On my Dakota R/T (5.9L), I had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler with 3" pipe from the cat back. Sounded awsome.

awcrooks
02-03-2006, 14:44
Originally posted by lakota169
On my Dakota R/T (5.9L), I had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler with 3" pipe from the cat back. Sounded awsome.

+1

I have full 3" exhaust from the Mopar headers back with a Flowmaster 40 series street/strip (not delta flow) and it's perfect.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/awcrooks/cruisin.jpg

triggerjerk
02-03-2006, 15:52
Find an exhaust shop that will tear out everything
behind the cats and add 3 inch pipe with a Borla XR1 muffler.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/15740085.jpg

45acp4me
02-03-2006, 18:24
Originally posted by triggerjerk
Find an exhaust shop that will tear out everything
behind the cats and add 3 inch pipe with a Borla XR1 muffler.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/15740085.jpg

If obnoxious, loud and terrible drone on the freeway is what you like, it's a great route to take.

triggerjerk
02-03-2006, 20:35
If obnoxious, loud and terrible drone on the freeway is what you like, it's a great route to take.

Do you have any experience with the borla xr1?

45acp4me
02-03-2006, 22:42
Originally posted by triggerjerk
Do you have any experience with the borla xr1?

Actually yes, I used to build custom exhausts out of mandrel bends and I did one with a XR1. I didn't care for how loud it was for a street car.

I know a couple people who have them on race cars and they are pretty loud, but they are fine for race purposes.

Warp
02-06-2006, 17:47
A Borla XR-1 will still be quieter/cleaner than the glasspack he is running now.

In the future I might replace the dynomax bullets on my Z28 with XR-1's to quiet it down a little bit. ;)

45acp4me
02-06-2006, 17:53
Originally posted by Warp
A Borla XR-1 will still be quieter/cleaner than the glasspack he is running now.

In the future I might replace the dynomax bullets on my Z28 with XR-1's to quiet it down a little bit. ;)

For making nice quiet exhausts I used to stick a Dynomax Bullet in place of the straight sections of an exhaust where I could fit it. Between it and a Magnaflow final muffler, the systems were quiet but made great power on turbo cars. It would even quiet cars that people hacked the cat off of.

Warp
02-06-2006, 18:10
For making nice quiet exhausts I used to stick a Dynomax Bullet in place of the straight sections of an exhaust where I could fit it. Between it and a Magnaflow final muffler, the systems were quiet but made great power on turbo cars. It would even quiet cars that people hacked the cat off of.

Cats on my car would be similer, for me, to having a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds. ;)

That is a good use for bullet mufflers, but they are all I have in my exhaust. ;a

Glockdeacon: I recommend a full cat-back made for your vehicle with a "real" muffler (not a bullet style). Magnaflow usually sound pretty nice, as does Flowmaster.

00blkgt
02-06-2006, 19:31
Check out the Banks Monster exhaust.

glockdeacon
02-06-2006, 21:40
Im leaning towards dynomax or magnaflow. I haven't had a Flowmaster that didnt resonate horribly on the highway.

Ktmexperiment
02-27-2006, 05:46
Man, Flowmaster 2 chambers are hard to beat.

They sound awesome, and flow better than just about everything out there.

I tried to go against the flow and mess with some other brands on my Mustang years ago. In the end, the Flows gave me the best accleration, and the meanest sound.

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 10:11
Werd on the Flows! I have had two, my dad has one, my grandfather has one, and buddy has one. All of us drive a FSC(fullsizechevy)and love the sound. The only one that is annoying is John's with a magnaflow hiper. cat and dumped behind the cab. That is some loud ass exhaust right there.

45acp4me
02-27-2006, 10:51
Originally posted by TexasGlock23
Werd on the Flows! I have had two, my dad has one, my grandfather has one, and buddy has one. All of us drive a FSC(fullsizechevy)and love the sound. The only one that is annoying is John's with a magnaflow hiper. cat and dumped behind the cab. That is some loud ass exhaust right there.

He removed the cat and did a side dump? That would piss me off to no end to be next to that guy.

Warp
02-27-2006, 10:58
He removed the cat and did a side dump? That would piss me off to no end to be next to that guy.

He said dumped behind the cab, not out the side of the vehicle.

You should come sit next to mine. I have an LS1 with longtube headers, no cats, 3" duals with an X-pipe, dynomax bullets and dumps just before the rear axle. Oh yeah, and a nasty cam with 13.5* of overlap @ .05. ;a

Ktmexperiment
02-27-2006, 11:38
Ah heck.....

Just run open headers.

;f

Warp
02-27-2006, 11:40
Originally posted by Ktmexperiment
Ah heck.....

Just run open headers.

;f

I did that for three weeks once. It was ;P

I can only imagine what it would have been like if I wasn't still running the stock cam. ;P ;P

45acp4me
02-27-2006, 11:42
Originally posted by Warp
He said dumped behind the cab, not out the side of the vehicle.

Good point, it would still be highly annoying though. I can see doing stuff like that on a race/fun only vehicle, but there is no need for an earplug requirement on a daily driver. :)

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 11:55
Read post again please, I stated that he had a MAGNAFLOW HIPERFORMANCE CATYLITIC CONVERTER. So there is a cat. It is a two in tow out and dumped right after the cab about 6 inches to a foot. He just bought a new muffler to do true duals the same way. Granted it will sound like crap but to each their own. And if it bothers you, roll the windows up, turn up the radio and drive off! Not trying to be rude. Just clearing things up abit. And note that I did state how annoying it is, esp. on the highway. After a few months it gets old.

45acp4me
02-27-2006, 12:03
The only one that is annoying is John's with a magnaflow hiper. cat and dumped behind the cab. That is some loud ass exhaust right there.

Unfortunately I had no idea what you were talking about. It does not say High Performance, is says "hiper." and looks like you ended a sentence with a period.

At least now I know what you were trying to say. ;f

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 12:06
im lazy! please excuse me. I got 2 hours of sleep(g/f duties) needless to say im still in trouble.

45acp4me
02-27-2006, 13:31
Originally posted by TexasGlock23
I got 2 hours of sleep(g/f duties) needless to say im still in trouble.

You get no sympathy from me for G/F duties being the cause of lost sleep. ;f

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 13:53
See you assume it was something else when it was infact more of something along the lines of nagging and getting my blood pressure up:soap: Damn women have issues;a