Jinenkan, aka Jissen Kobudo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jinenkan, aka Jissen Kobudo?

Critias
02-09-2006, 05:11
http://www.jinenkan-cincinnati.com/

I've been thinking about trying to get into a martial art (if my work schedule ever lets me). I'm primarily interested in one that focuses more on real-world application and fitness than in memorizing history lessons or includes too many lessons on Eastern philosophy, etc, etc.

A friend of mine mentioned the above web site to me (he stumbled across it while Googling something else), and I'm really up in the air about it. On the one hand, it looks to include the colored outfits, colored belts, pay-for-rank, etc, that I'm not real interested in. On the other hand, though, you've got this quote... "The martial art that we study in the Jinenkan is a form of Jissen Kobudo, or "martial art from fuedal Japan with the purpose of winning real fights". We do not compete in tournaments, but practice the skills necessary to deal with real-life confrontations of all kinds."

Which sorta sounds good.

Has anyone got any experience with this organization, or this martial art (Jissen Kobudo, I guess, is the name of it)? Is it really as real-world practical as the name would imply, or is it just a marketing ploy? Should I be leery of joining this "organization" instead of just joining a school?

Halojumper
02-09-2006, 15:55
It's hard to tell from that web site as there's not much there. Remember, Kobudo means weapons. Are you looking for just weapons or do you want a more rounded approach. My opinion is that a beginner should start with more empty hand stuff and work up to weapons. In any event, see if you can come watch a class and see what kind of feel you get for the place. Where I teach, we let people come down and try it free a time or two to see if they like it.

brock sampson
02-09-2006, 23:00
They state that they teach a form of taijutsu also. I can't figure out at what point the weapons are brought in but they do teach empty hand techniques if this is accurate.

I understand you're looking for a school that focuses more on the physical side of the arts but, be aware that the historical and philosophical elements play some part in what you learn. You may find it more interesting somewhere down the road. Just beware of "traditional" schools that don't have any history or philosophy as this can be a sign of someone who's out to make a quick buck. Not to imply anything about the above, just a red flag to watch for as you search.

Critias
02-10-2006, 02:52
A part of why I'm not already in a martial art (and why I'm not sure I'll even be able to get into one, now) is my odd hours and work schedule. If I'm able to fit a martial art into my regular schedule, it's going to have to be at the expense of my normal exercise and workout routine -- so I really need to make sure that whatever martial art I get into (in addition to being real-world applicable enough that I feel I'm gaining something from it) will also serve as a decent workout.

I'd hate to get into worse shape as a result of taking up a martial art. :) That's why I'm afraid to have half of my weekly session taken up by meditation or history lessons or something -- I really don't have all that much time to spare, right now. My wife's not working as she goes to nursing school, I'm bringing in 100% of our household income right now, and my time's something of a precious resource.

As much as I'd like to learn a more traditional art, a local Krav Maga school is sounding better and better, lately. No need to buy a gi/uniform, hands-on work and fitness is a priority, and not as much philosophy/history/etc. I don't want to get sucked into the latest "popular" martial art/marketing scheme, but it sounds pretty good, sometimes. I'm just a little leery of Krav Maga, because I understand it's become the "bandwagon" martial art lately, and a lot of low-quality schools have popped up overnight to market on that.

Argh!

Too much thinking, not enough time. :)

brock sampson
02-10-2006, 14:54
I bet if you mention the specific school / instructor you're thinking about, someone on here knows something about them. You may be able to get some good insight about the quality of instruction. It does seem that Krav is gaining popularity lately but this doesn't mean it's not a legitimate form of training, though I understand what you're saying about the bandwagon.
I doubt you will find a style that will totally replace time in the weight room. Martial arts can be a great supplemental workout, but it will not build big muscle groups normally. This is just not the goal of most schools. I can see it as a great maintenence workout for someone in any shape but as I'm sure you know, you will want to continue lifting on a regular schedule also. It is a different kind of muscle than what is typically developed in the gym alone. The two are great in combination.

The Tengu
04-14-2006, 07:12
Critias,

The Jinenkan is an organization founded by one of the Bujinkan's former top Japanese instructors.

Kobudo does NOT specifically imply weapons. Kobudo simply means "old martial arts". Many kobudo systems include the use of weapons because back in the day, weapons were a way of life. However, weapons were never taught without having a foundation in unarmed combatives.

You will probably find the Jinenkan system to be very Japanese: very structured, and very traditional.

The best way to describe taijutsu in layman's terms would be to call it classical samurai jujutsu.

Hope this helps.

ltgibson2001
04-20-2006, 15:08
The thing with Krav Maga is that all the intstructors are supposed to be certified out of the National Training Center in L.A. You should be learning the same thing in Level I in Boston as you would in Miami. It does work very well for self defense situations but the lower levels are a bit boring if you have ever done any stand up type fighting. When you get in to the the weapon disarms and second party protection its a lot more fun. You wouldnt get in worse shape from doing it because you go go go in Krav Class. Everything is done fast and repeatedly so you get a good workout.