Us Army [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Us Army


jerryd
02-11-2006, 15:14
Nice forum! Servrd 2-66 till 12-68, STRATCOM, 1ST SIS BDE, 26TH DIV WITH THE 192 FS NAT GD TILL 80.;z LLN DET Qui Nhon RVN 1-67 till 12-68

Mrs. VR
02-11-2006, 15:25
thank you for your service, Jerry.;a

SargeRN
02-11-2006, 15:29
Served 6-68 to 7-88 Numerous assignments including 3rd Infantry Division in Germany.

Sarge

Eric
02-11-2006, 15:31
Originally posted by SargeRN
Served 6-68 to 7-88 Numerous assignments including 3rd Infantry Division in Germany.

Sarge

I was in the 3rd US Infantry Regiment, The Old Guard. Eric

Scunyon
02-11-2006, 15:48
Served 8/94 - 12/02. 11C, heavy mortars were my specialty, the 4-deuce and the 120MM.

Was in the 24thID until it transitioned to the 3rdID.

Sapperstang
02-11-2006, 16:54
Served 95-03. Last assignment was in the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg, NC

MarkP
02-11-2006, 18:24
former 7ID(L) and 101st Airborne (AA) here.

HerrGlock
02-11-2006, 19:18
WOOOHOOO!
'87-'99

11C for a couple years, then on to Aviation. 1-82d ATK, 4/17 CAV, 4/2 CAV, etc.

Glad to be here. Thanks, Eric ;f

kawalerzysta
02-11-2006, 19:43
Served 1996-2004, A 1/2 ACR, B 4/7 CAV, A 3/7 CAV,

HerrGlock
02-11-2006, 20:00
Originally posted by kawalerzysta
Served 1996-2004, A 1/2 ACR, B 4/7 CAV, A 3/7 CAV,

A fellow trooper. Glad to see you here. #wav

AirCav
02-11-2006, 20:09
Active Duty, '85-'92. 3rd Armored Division (308th Attack helicopter BN), 101st (2/17 Cav).

ARNG since then. 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

(close to finishing up, I hope)

MP1SG
02-11-2006, 21:18
I was an MP from 1976 - 2000, stationed in a few places, but my favorites were 2ID (76-77) & 3ID (87-89).

Black Tiger
02-11-2006, 23:48
Supply Clerk (1992-95) E Co. 2/7 In. 24th ID.

Currently reclassed as a Military Policeman

301st MP Co. (1996-2001)
USAG MP DET USARSO (2001-02 - 9/11 Noble Eagle)
88th MP Co. (2003-2004 - Iraq)
351st MP Co. (2005-Present)

johnny5bravo
02-12-2006, 00:01
Cottonbalers by God!
Currently in Aco 2-7 INF, 3rd ID, since Feb 2002. 1st ID '98-'02 Germany, '96-'98 2nd ID, Ft Lewis.

Black Tiger
02-12-2006, 01:30
Originally posted by johnny5bravo
Cottonbalers by God!
Currently in Aco 2-7 INF, 3rd ID, since Feb 2002. 1st ID '98-'02 Germany, '96-'98 2nd ID, Ft Lewis.

"Volens Et Potens" - Willing And Able. I still have my Unit Crests and plenty of pics of my time there. I should be able to find a pic of me with the unit guidon somewhere in my scrapbook. :cool:

Vtwin
02-12-2006, 03:43
I was a combat medic in the early 80's. I served at Ft. Detrick, Md. assigned to the emergency medical ward. (ward 200 attached to Walter Reed WRAMC.) I was also an mrv. Aside from being in md. I loved that place.:)

;? ;? ;?

fox34
02-12-2006, 06:38
19D, 72-92, 82nd ABN, 11th ACR, 8th ID, Armor School.

AirAssault
02-12-2006, 08:28
myself:

887th Eng. Co. (LE) (AASLT)
326th Eng. Batt. (CMBT) (AASLT)
101st Airborne Division
1989-1993

Desert Shield - Desert Storm Veteran

kawalerzysta
02-12-2006, 08:55
Originally posted by HerrGlock
A fellow trooper. Glad to see you here. #wav
Got to love CAV. During race across Iraq in 2003 I popped my head out of my hatch in Bradley and view was awsome. Front line were Bradleys, in the back M1s and above us Kiowas. That is what I call a proper cavalry charge. Those Iraqis had to be pissing in their pants when they saw it ;f

kawalerzysta
02-12-2006, 08:57
Originally posted by fox34
19D, 72-92, 82nd ABN, 11th ACR, 8th ID, Armor School.
Scouts Out ;a

SW.FLA.glocker
02-12-2006, 09:01
I was in from July 88 til Dec. 95. First 4 yrs. were in Italy with the 3/325 A.B.C.T. I'm suprised I made it out of there alive with all the parties and fights. I finished up at Ft. Bragg in the 2/504. Ft. Bragg will break a man's spirits, at least after he has been to Italy.

fastshoota
02-12-2006, 10:27
1/505 pir 2004 - current
deployed to afghanistan in 04

Coastietech
02-12-2006, 10:54
Originally posted by Sapperstang
Served 95-03. Last assignment was in the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg, NC

I used to hang out with a sapper went by the name Gardiola.

SW.FLA.glocker
02-12-2006, 10:56
Originally posted by Coastietech
I used to hang out with a sapper went by the name Gardiola.

I recognize that name. I have no idea if I ever met the guy though. I was 11b1p so it is possible.

Coastietech
02-12-2006, 11:01
Originally posted by SW.FLA.glocker
I recognize that name. I have no idea if I ever met the guy though. I was 11b1p so it is possible.
He was also 11B his SFC got the Medal of Honor in Iraq, during the seige on Baghdad airport.

CRC
02-12-2006, 12:50
Originally posted by Eric
I was in the 3rd US Infantry Regiment, The Old Guard. Eric

I was with TOG also 1986 - 1990. First at McNair with A co., got White House cleared and finished my stint at Ft. Myer with E co. Do you still have the key to Somerall Field?

;c Craig

BillS
02-12-2006, 12:57
Served 1965-1967


Aug 65 - Jul 66 FT Gordon Ga. Signal School

Jul 66 - Jul 67 2nd Signal Group, 1st Signal Brigade, Long Binh RVN

jerryd
02-12-2006, 13:23
Bill i was in 1st sig LLn Det Qui Nhon 67- 68 on the beach, also had the site on VC mountain. Some of my friends were in saigon and long bien.

D.S.Brown
02-12-2006, 14:46
I was in A Company 3rd Battallion 8th Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division "Pathfinder" (Mechanized) at Robert E. Lee Barracks, Mainz Germany from January '87 to December '88.

PCS'd to C Company 5th Battallion 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division "The Big Red One" (Mechanized), Ft. Riley Kansas from February '89 to August "90.

GREAT TIMES especially in Europe!

Best,
Dave

A_Swede_17_1911
02-12-2006, 15:57
82nd ABN DIV 3/325 AIR, yeah I was a Blue Falcon, now that Battalion is apart of 2/508 Unit of Action.

Now im a Recruiter, not really enjoying it at all, but just doing it. Been doing it for 2 months now.

fastshoota
02-12-2006, 16:03
have you heard the latest scandal from the 325 boys.

they were making gay porn in the barracks and putting it on a website.
the fbi had the barracks shut down and moved every one out to another barracks so they could conduct an investigation

Sapperstang
02-12-2006, 17:45
Originally posted by fastshoota
have you heard the latest scandal from the 325 boys.

they were making gay porn in the barracks and putting it on a website.
the fbi had the barracks shut down and moved every one out to another barracks so they could conduct an investigation

I don't think thats exactly what went down unless I heard wrong.

army_eod
02-12-2006, 17:54
Thanks, Eric.

About time!

Currently volunteered for active duty working at Human Resource Command. Prior to that, mobilized with CENTCOM. Prior to that did Ops for Chemical Command.

Been in many other units, including active duty EOD.

May be back in an EOD/CBRNE job soon!

My only combat was as a civilian contractor in Iraq. Ironic.

igor
02-12-2006, 21:26
I was in from 1967 to 1971 ,I was in a place called Chu Lai in 1968 to 1969. Actually you might say I was over it more than in since i drove loaches and hueys most of the time. Then I went to beautiful Kileen TX at Ft Hood. Went back in the reserves for about 8 years in the 80s and did more bizarre stuff. God that seems like such a long time ago. Now i am dealing with agent orange the gift that keeps on giving with my diabetis and nerve damage.
So after being a soldier and a police forever its not like i was ever normal, but it was fun take care all

jerryd
02-12-2006, 21:32
Igor you have AO too? Lost parts of both feet from it, mycosis fungoities, or something like that. Good luck with your treatment, welcome home !!!

Eric
02-13-2006, 00:06
Originally posted by CRC
I was with TOG also 1986 - 1990. First at McNair with A co., got White House cleared and finished my stint at Ft. Myer with E co. Do you still have the key to Somerall Field?

;c Craig

I was in Delta Co. you guys ended up with one of our platoon Sgt rejects, SFC Alonzo Dozier. Did you know him? Did you ever corrupt his ship?;e

I don't know how many times we sent a new <s>di</s>, err..., new guy to get the keys to Summerall Field, or a sling tightener, or a volley adjuster(I was in a firing party platoon).

A couple of guys I went through basic ended up in Alpha company. I only made it out to McNair a couple of times. Anway, welcome aboard. "To Us and Those Like Us... Damned Few!" Eric

Bearcat06
02-13-2006, 02:38
95B2V5 (MP with Investigator's School)
3/3 MP Company, Aschaffenburg Germany 85-88
SB MP Company, Schofield Barrcks Hawaii 88-90
3/25 MP Company, Schofield Barracks Hawaii 90-92
293rd MP Company, Ft. Meade, MD/Ft. Stewart, GA 92-93

Ogre77497
02-13-2006, 05:26
14th ACR, 11th ACR, Armor School, 3rd Armored Division, Recruiting Duty, 1st Armored Division, and finally National Guard Advisor (in Wisconsin of all places!). 1971-1991. (And not one day more).

CRC
02-13-2006, 05:28
Originally posted by Eric
I was in Delta Co. you guys ended up with one of our platoon Sgt rejects, SFC Alonzo Dozier. Did you know him? Did you ever corrupt his ship?;e

I don't know how many times we sent a new <s>di</s>, err..., new guy to get the keys to Summerall Field, or a sling tightener, or a volley adjuster(I was in a firing party platoon).

A couple of guys I went through basic ended up in Alpha company. I only made it out to McNair a couple of times. Anway, welcome aboard. "To Us and Those Like Us... Damned Few!" Eric

Did I corrupt his ship?! SFC Dozier took me on as a pet project. He hated me with a passion. He used to have me do gorilla-ups. He would have me jump up in the air, pound my chest, and yell like a gorilla. Not sure if he was trying to humiliate or teach a lesson, I just thought it was hilarious! Luckily for me another guy looked like me so when Dozier would get pissed at me sometimes I'd see my buddy Sean doing gorilla-ups, which was also hilarious!

I've got tons of Dozier stories..man he hated me!

Anyway, I was also in the FP platoon. A few guys came over to E co. with me from Delta: Tovey and Sperry.

Good times were had for sure! Unfortunately I realize that more now than when I was in!

;c Craig

igor
02-13-2006, 07:36
nah i dont think i have ao at least the doctor says i dont yet. I just keep trying to beat the beast back every day. i figure i survived so far im too evil to give up. rmemeber they cant draft you been there done that , they cant eat you, we have already been as scared as we will ever be, the diseaes i have there no cure for sooo what can they do to you now ?
give them a cookie, a high colonic, a 20 mile hike with a 50 lb pack.

Eric
02-13-2006, 10:17
Originally posted by CRC
Did I corrupt his ship?! SFC Dozier took me on as a pet project. He hated me with a passion. He used to have me do gorilla-ups. He would have me jump up in the air, pound my chest, and yell like a gorilla. Not sure if he was trying to humiliate or teach a lesson, I just thought it was hilarious! Luckily for me another guy looked like me so when Dozier would get pissed at me sometimes I'd see my buddy Sean doing gorilla-ups, which was also hilarious!

I've got tons of Dozier stories..man he hated me!

Anyway, I was also in the FP platoon. A few guys came over to E co. with me from Delta: Tovey and Sperry.

Good times were had for sure! Unfortunately I realize that more now than when I was in!

;c Craig

Yeah, SFC Dozier loved his gorilla-stomps. I did a few of those for him myself. Did he ever inflict the Kaolafier on you guys? Some SSGT at Ft Stuart showed him that one time and that freaking guy had people hanging upside down from trees and telephone poles all over the damned post. He also had a pathological problem with ANYONE going on sick call. I hear that a problem stemming from that got him kicked out shy of his retirement. Anway, it's a small world.;e Eric

rlbgfish173
02-13-2006, 12:12
Glad I'm not the only FOG here:)

Jump School Aug 1967

101st Airborne Ft. Campbell (when they were Airborne)

173D Airborne Brigade 11B B Co.1/503 Nov67-Nov68 VIET NAM

82nd Airborne Ft. Bragg until ETS Nov 69

Thank You all for your Service!;?

igor
02-13-2006, 12:17
I just had a thought a truely bizarre experience, but if any of you folks out there were on hte ground in RVN from when ever to whenever and now have type 2 diabetis and any nerve damage, it is a service connected disability. contact thej VA immediatly and get the comp process started. the va classified it as a service connected in 2001 and they will give you tax free money depending on how bad you are . you will also be eligable for medical care and prescription coverage.
Another vet told me about it three months before we lost him to cancer from oragnge. so for paul i tell every vet i see , hey we earned it . go to hte va web site and look undert diabetis or agent orange.
gang the tax free check each month sure looks good and spends good also igor

CRC
02-13-2006, 15:16
Originally posted by Eric
Yeah, SFC Dozier loved his gorilla-stomps. I did a few of those for him myself. Did he ever inflict the Kaolafier on you guys? Some SSGT at Ft Stuart showed him that one time and that freaking guy had people hanging upside down from trees and telephone poles all over the damned post. He also had a pathological problem with ANYONE going on sick call. I hear that a problem stemming from that got him kicked out shy of his retirement. Anway, it's a small world.;e Eric

I don't remember the Kaolafier. I have a good one for you though. One day he started a surprise room inspection. My roomate opened a care-package that morning and a few of us guys shared the food. I don't know what we were thinking but we actually tossed our trash away...in our trash can! ;P

Well, once we heard him stomping through rooms, we started squaring things away the best that we could. The room looked great, all except for the trash can which held some wrappers, the empty cardboard care package, and two apple cores. I didn't think that I had time to get rid of the trash, so I rearranged the trash so everything was crushed down to the bottom. I took the flattened care package box and duct taped it to the bottom of the trash can so it covered the other trash..sort of a false bottom.

In walks Dozier with my squad leader. The tool made us stand at parade rest while he started to inspect. We were kicking butt for a while until he found the trash can. He looked at me with that goofy smile of his and tipped the can over. Of course nothing fell out and his big toofy smile left the building. He now punts the can, actually he shanked it and sent it spinning to the side. I'm now doing that uncontrollable, but held in laugh. He grabs the can and tears the cardboard out and all of the trash falls out.

You would have thought he just won the lottery as he noticed the apple cores. His smile was back as he jumped on the apple cores repeatedly, sending the fodder everywhere. He felt so good doing this. And to add insult to injury he took my pillow off of my bunk and wiped his boots on it. I just started laughing out loud..he did too, at my expense of course!

Sam White
02-13-2006, 15:22
Thanks for the new forum, Eric.;?

DriBak
02-13-2006, 20:59
11B with Co C 1/18th INF 197th INF BDE 89-91; Desert Shield/Storm

Eric
02-13-2006, 21:12
Originally posted by CRC
I don't remember the Kaolafier. I have a good one for you though. One day he started a surprise room inspection. My roomate opened a care-package that morning and a few of us guys shared the food. I don't know what we were thinking but we actually tossed our trash away...in our trash can! ;P

Well, once we heard him stomping through rooms, we started squaring things away the best that we could. The room looked great, all except for the trash can which held some wrappers, the empty cardboard care package, and two apple cores. I didn't think that I had time to get rid of the trash, so I rearranged the trash so everything was crushed down to the bottom. I took the flattened care package box and duct taped it to the bottom of the trash can so it covered the other trash..sort of a false bottom.

In walks Dozier with my squad leader. The tool made us stand at parade rest while he started to inspect. We were kicking butt for a while until he found the trash can. He looked at me with that goofy smile of his and tipped the can over. Of course nothing fell out and his big toofy smile left the building. He now punts the can, actually he shanked it and sent it spinning to the side. I'm now doing that uncontrollable, but held in laugh. He grabs the can and tears the cardboard out and all of the trash falls out.

You would have thought he just won the lottery as he noticed the apple cores. His smile was back as he jumped on the apple cores repeatedly, sending the fodder everywhere. He felt so good doing this. And to add insult to injury he took my pillow off of my bunk and wiped his boots on it. I just started laughing out loud..he did too, at my expense of course!

Yeah, he was a piece of work. I hated it when he would do something to really screw up your day and then look at you and grin and say, " And I hope you don't like it!" I was not his favorite troop either. I passed him once with my car stereo up so loud that he couldn't hear his own stereo in his caddy with his windows rolled up. He talked about that for months and he screwed with me about it for even longer. Did he still have that old white Cadillac when you knew him. If so, I have a good story for you about it. Actually, two of them. Eric

CRC
02-13-2006, 22:16
Originally posted by Eric
Yeah, he was a piece of work. I hated it when he would do something to really screw up your day and then look at you and grin and say, " And I hope you don't like it!" I was not his favorite troop either. I passed him once with my car stereo up so loud that he couldn't hear his own stereo in his caddy with his windows rolled up. He talked about that for months and he screwed with me about it for even longer. Did he still have that old white Cadillac when you knew him. If so, I have a good story for you about it. Actually, two of them. Eric

Oh ya, he had the Cadillac. He probably didn't like you for the same reason he didn't like me. I always stood up for myself and I think it was a challenge for him to try and break me. He didn't!

He was my Platoon Sgt. for only a short time thank God, but his crazy antics are seared in my memory. I got to A co. in November of 1986 and left for E co. in April of 1987. I don't remember when he came over but I do remember that he arrived from D co. after I got to A co.

By the way, when were you at Benning? I was there August - November 1986. I was at Sand Hill C-3-1. We were the company where a slightly less-than-sober DS rolled a deuce-and-a-half loaded to the gills with guys. Hurt a bunch of them too. I was lucky enough to have missed that ride.

I'd like to hear the Cadillac stories.

-Craig

Eric
02-13-2006, 22:40
Originally posted by CRC
Oh ya, he had the Cadillac. He probably didn't like you for the same reason he didn't like me. I always stood up for myself and I think it was a challenge for him to try and break me. He didn't!

He was my Platoon Sgt. for only a short time thank God, but his crazy antics are seared in my memory. I got to A co. in November of 1986 and left for E co. in April of 1987. I don't remember when he came over but I do remember that he arrived from D co. after I got to A co.

By the way, when were you at Benning? I was there August - November 1986. I was at Sand Hill C-3-1. We were the company where a slightly less-than-sober DS rolled a deuce-and-a-half loaded to the gills with guys. Hurt a bunch of them too. I was lucky enough to have missed that ride.

I'd like to hear the Cadillac stories.

-Craig

I was in D-4-2, Harmony Church, 1-86 -- 4-86. The Church wasn't nearly as nice as the Sand Hilton, but we didn't have to spend nearly as much time polishing the rocks.;f

Caddy story one. One of the reasons Daddy D loved that car so much was because of his ex-wife. The squad ARTEP the year before I got there, Delta Company went to the field and SFC Dozier's wife cleaned him out and left him, while he was in the field. She had power of attorney and she took EVERYTHING, except for that old Cadillac. She cleaned out his apartment, his bank account. Everything! She didn't get the car because it was up in the company quad and I guess she was afraid to go get it. She hosed him pretty good and he fixated on that car after that.

Caddy story two: The winter after I got to TOG, I was on outside police call one morning in Jan. It was cold as hell and there were icicles on the eaves of the quad that were as long as 15 feet long. I was just in the mouth of the quad with a couple of buddies, when one of those monster icicles broke off and speared the hood of Daddy D's Caddy! It wa spectacular! The thing hit right in the center of the hood and went right through. It trashed the air cleaner and carb as well. When Dozier saw it, he cried. Literally. He was absolutely convinced that I somehow did it. He redoubled his efforts to ruin my life, after that.

Did you know he got kicked out just shy of his retirement? You remember how he was about people going on sick call? Well, he didn't let a guy go to sick call one morning and when the guy tried to fall out of the run, he pushed him. The guy felll down and busted his face. turned out the guy had walking pneumonia. They busted Dozier out less than a year from his 20. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.;e Eric

CRC
02-14-2006, 07:31
Originally posted by Eric
I was in D-4-2, Harmony Church, 1-86 -- 4-86. The Church wasn't nearly as nice as the Sand Hilton, but we didn't have to spend nearly as much time polishing the rocks.;f

Caddy story one. One of the reasons Daddy D loved that car so much was because of his ex-wife. The squad ARTEP the year before I got there, Delta Company went to the field and SFC Dozier's wife cleaned him out and left him, while he was in the field. She had power of attorney and she took EVERYTHING, except for that old Cadillac. She cleaned out his apartment, his bank account. Everything! She didn't get the car because it was up in the company quad and I guess she was afraid to go get it. She hosed him pretty good and he fixated on that car after that.

Caddy story two: The winter after I got to TOG, I was on outside police call one morning in Jan. It was cold as hell and there were icicles on the eaves of the quad that were as long as 15 feet long. I was just in the mouth of the quad with a couple of buddies, when one of those monster icicles broke off and speared the hood of Daddy D's Caddy! It wa spectacular! The thing hit right in the center of the hood and went right through. It trashed the air cleaner and carb as well. When Dozier saw it, he cried. Literally. He was absolutely convinced that I somehow did it. He redoubled his efforts to ruin my life, after that.

Did you know he got kicked out just shy of his retirement? You remember how he was about people going on sick call? Well, he didn't let a guy go to sick call one morning and when the guy tried to fall out of the run, he pushed him. The guy felll down and busted his face. turned out the guy had walking pneumonia. They busted Dozier out less than a year from his 20. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.;e Eric

Good stuff! I had a sick call problem with him once. I had a stomach bug where nothing stayed in me, not even water. I had a pretty high fever. I remember that morning we were heading to Ft. Myer to practice at Ceremonial Hall. He told me that I could go on sick call when we got there. We got to Ft. Myer and he told me if I still wanted to go on sick call that I could walk down to the medical clinic. I forget what it was called, but I remember that it was near the PX close to the Marine barracks, what was that 8th and I or something? Anyway, I know that it was a pretty long walk from Ceremonial Hall being as sick as I was. When I got to the clinic I dropped and ended up needing mucho IV hydration. The doctor was pretty pissed that he made me walk. I know Dozier caught a little heat for that one, but he still was around to torture me until I left for E co.

We had pretty good duty though, do you think? I *****ed a lot back then, but we really got to take part in some pretty cool stuff.

When I got recalled in 1991 I was a bit nervous going to a regular infanty unit. I thought that my field skills might be sub par because of our limited field duty at TOG. I was wrong. There were a handfull of us former Old Guard guys that ended up at Ft. Lewis. We were not behind at all thank God.

Check this site out sometime. http://www.oldguard.org/ Click on guest book and scan through it, or leave a post. I found some guys that I was in with and ended up e-mailing back and forth with them. Of course all of the stories that we tell about each other get more elaborate as the years go by, but the core of the stories stays in tact :cool:

-Craig

PawDog
02-14-2006, 19:54
x

gt4660
02-15-2006, 09:28
Originally posted by DriBak
11B with Co C 1/18th INF 197th INF BDE 89-91; Desert Shield/Storm
I was in Aco 1/18 INF the ol' 197th 90-93

small world

TKennedy1975
02-15-2006, 12:56
Eric and CRC,

I also served in The Old Guard, though more recently than you. It seemed that all I did was ***** and moan through the whole thing, but I don't think that I'd trade it for anything now.

I was in C Co. firing party for my entire 3 years on active duty minus basic training (A Co. 2/19 5/02-9/02; C Co. TOG 5/02-5/05). I was in Full Honors for almost two years. Other than being able to be deployed, things haven't changed much since you were in. They've just added a lot more tactical on top of the ceremonial. It got to the point that everything just started blurring together and the ceremonial side started suffering. We started calling ourselves a "Tactimonial" unit.

Tommy

CRC
02-15-2006, 19:37
Originally posted by TKennedy1975
Eric and CRC,

I also served in The Old Guard, though more recently than you. It seemed that all I did was ***** and moan through the whole thing, but I don't think that I'd trade it for anything now.

I was in C Co. firing party for my entire 3 years on active duty minus basic training (A Co. 2/19 5/02-9/02; C Co. TOG 5/02-5/05). I was in Full Honors for almost two years. Other than being able to be deployed, things haven't changed much since you were in. They've just added a lot more tactical on top of the ceremonial. It got to the point that everything just started blurring together and the ceremonial side started suffering. We started calling ourselves a "Tactimonial" unit.

Tommy

Hey Tommy,

I *****ed a bunch too. It's what you do. Glad to hear from you. Hey, I heard that there are women in TOG now, is that true?

Take care,

;c Craig

PAOPuke
02-15-2006, 21:28
"By the way, when were you at Benning? I was there August - November 1986. I was at Sand Hill C-3-1. We were the company where a slightly less-than-sober DS rolled a deuce-and-a-half loaded to the gills with guys. Hurt a bunch of them too. I was lucky enough to have missed that ride."

CRC, Ho-Lee-*****!! That was Senior Drill Sergeant Mayo!!! I was a National Guard split option the cycle before you. Mayo was an 82nd Airborne Greneda vet... I'll never forget him, he introduced himself as Senior DS Mayo, "I am a PARATROOPER, I jump outa Airplanes and KILL people." From what we gathered, he was a hell raiser & had been busted beaucoup times. I remember him PTing us & he was still liquored up from the night before...
Went Regular Army & ended up in the 82nd Airborne myself... Heard two NCOs who had been "on the trail" who knew of Mayo & said he wrecked an overloaded truck or cattle car & hurt a bunch of trainees. Supposedly some of the kids were impaled by rifle barrels.

TKennedy1975
02-15-2006, 22:02
CRC,

Yep, there sure are women there now. CPT Wibben, the MP company commander when I was there was also (I believe) the first female Captain of the Guard at the Tomb. I know for a fact that she has her Tomb badge.

I don't know if you've been there or not, but the TOG website has a lot of stuff on there that's going on these days. My very last mission has some pics up (Tomb mission on 3/8/05).

I still go back there a few times a week. Here's the link:

http://www.army.mil/oldguard/index2.htm

Later,

Tommy

D.S.Brown
02-15-2006, 22:19
PAOPuke,

I was C-1-1 at Sandhill from 1 October 86 to 22 December 86.

I'd like to go back and visit Ft. Benning sometime. I still remember getting to the reception station at the wee hours of the morning, and being served cold cheesburgers followed by about two hours of sleep.

Best,
Dave

Eric
02-16-2006, 01:33
Am I the only guy here that went through Basic in Harmony Church? I was in D-4-2, in early 1986. My company area was right across the street from the 2/75th Ranger Bat, which was right beside the Light Leader school. I was four or five blocks from the old Airborne jump towers.

I loved Harmony Chruch. The barracks really sucked, but we didn't spend much time cleaning and the brass and congressional junkets NEVER visited the Church. They saved that honor for the Sand Hilton Troopies.;f

Anyway, the 2nd ITB kicked ass. Our Btn command, Col Zigfried, was the scariest man I ever saw. He left pieces of himself (Including his left lung, and right ulna) on battlefields all over the world and he could still pass the PT test by 18-year-old standards. He never raised his voice, but that ****er scared me.

TKennedy1975, everyone in TOG when I was in *****ed and moaned. That is the sign of a happy infantryman.;f It was tough duty, but it was a very interesting job. How many photo albums are you guys in, worldwide?;e

BTW, I was in Delta Company and we spent a lot of time in the field. We spent almost 3 months in the field, the last year I was in. We were training up to go to NTC. At that time, Delta Co. was the only company to ever go there. In spite of all of that field time, my squad still won the firing party CERTEP, the last year I was in. We fired cracks that were the envy of most Old Guard firing parties, and completely beyond the capabilities of the the other service ceremonial units.;f I watch Air Force and Navy firing parties do their thing sometimes, while waiting for a job, and they SUCKED. The Marines were pretty good, but I think our manual of arms and uniforms were better.They were pretty strack though.

CRC, remember Flags Out after Memorial Day, the year the seventeen-year locust hit? How many of those bastards did you kill pulling flags? We were in primary funeral week when the locusts hit. I don't know how many of those damned things got folded up in flags, on the civilian jobs we did. The firing party commander would press on the flag so hard when he smoothed it out that his arms would shake, to kill the locusts moving around in the flags. I was my squad's foldman for civilian cemetery jobs and it was hard to keep a straight face watching my FPC try to make the flag stop moving.;f I saw some screwed up things happen in civilian boneyards. The mockups were usually complete messes and it could be interesting walking up on it.

I remember the first time I was ever foldman on a job in a civilian boneyard. After the first fold on the flag I glanced down to get my bite and found myself looking right into the face of the dead guy! The half-door over the guy's head had a plexiglass insert! I very nearly crapped myself. Another time, we were doing a job at that boneyard by Ft Washington. We were set up under a tree. When we fired the second volley, the noise scared a squirrel off of a branch above the five man. The squirrel fell and hit him in the head. It knocked his hat off and then went right down the front of him trying to climb like a mad bastard. It scratched up his face and did some damage to his uniform, but he never missed a beat. Eric

CRC
02-16-2006, 06:27
Originally posted by Eric


CRC, remember Flags Out after Memorial Day, the year the seventeen-year locust hit? How many of those bastards did you kill pulling flags? We were in primary funeral week when the locusts hit. I don't know how many of those damned things got folded up in flags, on the civilian jobs we did. The firing party commander would press on the flag so hard when he smoothed it out that his arms would shake, to kill the locusts moving around in the flags. I was my squad's foldman for civilian cemetery jobs and it was hard to keep a straight face watching my FPC try to make the flag stop moving.;f I saw some screwed up things happen in civilian boneyards. The mockups were usually complete messes and it could be interesting walking up on it.

I remember the first time I was ever foldman on a job in a civilian boneyard. After the first fold on the flag I glanced down to get my bite and found myself looking right into the face of the dead guy! The half-door over the guy's head had a plexiglass insert! I very nearly crapped myself. Another time, we were doing a job at that boneyard by Ft Washington. We were set up under a tree. When we fired the second volley, the noise scared a squirrel off of a branch above the five man. The squirrel fell and hit him in the head. It knocked his hat off and then went right down the front of him trying to climb like a mad bastard. It scratched up his face and did some damage to his uniform, but he never missed a beat. Eric

The locust infestation was wild. I remember a bunch of us pitching in a ton of money to one of the guys if he would eat a handful of them. He made some good money. He also ate one of those famous boxed-lunch cold fried egg sandwiches with the Saran Wrap still on it. He did that for free.;z

We were on an off-post job one time. We were supposed to set the casket on the dolly and kind of roll it from the hearse to the church. As we were rolling the casket, the front wheels got caught on the lip of the curb, but we didn't realize it until the leading edge of the casket slipped off of the dolly and dipped down almost hitting the ground.

Hey Eric, how much did you guys hot-load your rounds? Is that how you won CERTEPS?;)

We would, on special occasions :cool:, stagger the Hot-loads usually 2,4, and 6 man for the 3 volleys. I was six man and filled the round up way too much. The flame and sound from the round was enough to disorient the guy to my left, he was all wobbly, "Craig, Craig, I can't see..";z That was funny!

If you hot-loaded just right, the brass would rip open and get stuck in the breech. That was always fun trying to extract before we hit the arms room.

Eric, do you recall hearing about the guy who stole an M14 while we were out in the field? Kids name was Hamilton. We got stuck out in the field for an extra week, the whole time looking for a weapon that was long gone. The cooks sabotaged our food, they put hot-sauce (and I'm sure other less palatable goo..) on everything, they of course were stuck out in the field also and took it out on all of us! Hamilton's dad supposedly got sick so he left the field to go home to Mississippi. He ended up taking a train instead of flying (less security). He got caught a few months after. He needed an escort to clear out his room before heading to the brink. Guys were seriously planning inflicting some pain on that dude. Especially the one who had to postpone his wedding!

Remember the TOGWalk, I mean TOGJOG?

-Craig

Eric
02-16-2006, 09:45
Originally posted by CRC
The locust infestation was wild. I remember a bunch of us pitching in a ton of money to one of the guys if he would eat a handful of them. He made some good money. He also ate one of those famous boxed-lunch cold fried egg sandwiches with the Saran Wrap still on it. He did that for free.;z

We were on an off-post job one time. We were supposed to set the casket on the dolly and kind of roll it from the hearse to the church. As we were rolling the casket, the front wheels got caught on the lip of the curb, but we didn't realize it until the leading edge of the casket slipped off of the dolly and dipped down almost hitting the ground.

Hey Eric, how much did you guys hot-load your rounds? Is that how you won CERTEPS?;)

We would, on special occasions :cool:, stagger the Hot-loads usually 2,4, and 6 man for the 3 volleys. I was six man and filled the round up way too much. The flame and sound from the round was enough to disorient the guy to my left, he was all wobbly, "Craig, Craig, I can't see..";z That was funny!

If you hot-loaded just right, the brass would rip open and get stuck in the breech. That was always fun trying to extract before we hit the arms room.

Eric, do you recall hearing about the guy who stole an M14 while we were out in the field? Kids name was Hamilton. We got stuck out in the field for an extra week, the whole time looking for a weapon that was long gone. The cooks sabotaged our food, they put hot-sauce (and I'm sure other less palatable goo..) on everything, they of course were stuck out in the field also and took it out on all of us! Hamilton's dad supposedly got sick so he left the field to go home to Mississippi. He ended up taking a train instead of flying (less security). He got caught a few months after. He needed an escort to clear out his room before heading to the brink. Guys were seriously planning inflicting some pain on that dude. Especially the one who had to postpone his wedding!

Remember the TOGWalk, I mean TOGJOG?

-Craig

The only time any of us ever hotloaded weapons was before an IG inspection once. We kept cleaning the weapons and the kept pushing back the time of the inspection. We spent a week getting cleaning our weapons for four or five hours a day, after firing party jobs, and finally Friday, we hotloaded two weapons and put spent brass in the other five. This way, only two weapons had to be cleaned that day and we all chipped in.

That was not a routine practice for us and if our CO had found out about it, he would have crushed our nuts. He really frowned on that sort of thing. We won the CERTEPS because we were DAMNED GOOD!;f Btn even used my squad to film a couple of Dept of the Army firing party training movies.

I never heard about an M-14 getting stolen. The worst we ever had was a guy leave an M-14 on his bed and left for the weekend, after a saturday off-post job. His squad leader found the weapon on first call on Monday. He only found it because the dumbass that left it out was also late for first call!

I remember the TOG runs. It was a tradition in Delta Company to get as drunk as possible, the night before a TOG run. I ran moe than one of them still drunk from the night before. I swear, there would be a cloud of alcohol hanging over the formation like the cloud of dirt around Pigpen, in the Charlie Brown cartoons.;e Eric

TKennedy1975
02-16-2006, 18:56
They stomped down on the double packs just before I got there. If you got caught using them there was hell to pay.

We took the M-14's to A.P. Hell once for ceremonial practice in the field (still don't know why we did that one). We had some 240 rounds (60 for you guys) laying around and used them for firing party practice. The crimped end blew out so much that we couldn't rack any of the rounds out. We always ended up having to kickstart the round out.

Tommy

TxSoldier
02-17-2006, 22:36
Active duty with 4-5 ADA 1st Cav as Bradley Linebacker Commander
Texas National Guard B-Troop 124 Cav as 19D
Just returned from Iraq in Dec from a year as a Civil Affairs NCO.(Don't ask me how that happened)

SGT B

soldier615
02-18-2006, 13:44
US Army MP 86-90 Active Duty as Platoon Leader with 615th MP Co in Furth Germany. Army Reserve 90-95 with 78th IN Div at Ft Dix NJ. IRR until 2002. Would have posted sooner, but I was busy the past few weeks with work and visits from Mrs. soldier's dad and stepmom.

Thanks to all of you for your service!

JGinzo
02-18-2006, 22:02
Am I the only guy here that went through Basic in Harmony Church?

I did PLDC there. Had lot's of fun but hated it otherwise. I am glad to see this forum is up. I was a 12B with D Co 841 Engineer Battalion USAR in Miami, 1989-1997

Damned glad to see our men and women out there kicking ***. Thanks for all you do!!!!

Snake6
02-19-2006, 05:19
11B C Co.3-7INF cottonbalers Ft. Stewart, GA 1999-2002 with a tour in Kosovo

Fred
02-21-2006, 12:04
Been offline for awhile and just noticed the new forum. Great idea! Served in Germany 1966 to 1968 with the 7th Medical Group, while my brother was in the Navy on the Coral Seal aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin.

rangerruck
02-22-2006, 02:16
eric, broke my $$s in at A 2 2 , no slack, harmony church. went in on d.e.p. in july. talk about hot.

sgtlmj
02-24-2006, 00:18
I was a 13E20 at Larson Barracks, Kitzingen, Germany.

C Btry, 6Bn/41FA Rgmt, 3d Infantry Divison, 2 Bde, VII Corps.

11/87 - 07/90


Recalled IRR, 13R in Wertheim during Desert Storm.

A Btry, 25FA, 3d Infantry Division (Marne'd again)

3/91 - 5/91

buddyRoland
03-05-2006, 21:46
9th ID DDC, Lewis
3rd SUPCOM, Frankfurt
FORSCOM Intel Sup Act, Bragg
Field Station Berlin, Berlin
Hqs US Army, Alexandria, VA
Arlington, VA
1ST SIG BDE, Korea
312MI, 1ST CAV DIV, Hood
Retired

hotrod26
03-12-2006, 19:34
Spent 23+ years in the Signal Corps.
1st Sig Bn (Germany)
24th Sig Bn (Ft Stewart,GA)
440th Sig Bn (Germany)
13th Sig Bn (Ft Hood,TX)
22nd Sig Bde (Germany)
32 Sig Bn (Germany)
440th Sig Bn (Germany)
Title 11 Ft Jackson, SC

HerrGlock
03-13-2006, 04:55
Originally posted by Glock: For Hire
PAOPuke,

I was C-1-1 at Sandhill from 1 October 86 to 22 December 86.

C-1-1 from 4 May to ?? Aug 87. :)

I went back to visit after getting my CW2 and about gave a bunch of trainees a heart attack. None of the Drills I knew were still there but I had fun with the ones that were. I think none of us realized an hour had passed just BSing.

DanH

{TEX}Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2006, 18:47
25th ID HI
3 ID FSGA
OIF III

skytrooper78
03-18-2006, 09:48
HHT 1/17 Cav, HHC 2/325 82nd AIRBORNE 78-81 best days of my life

Hack
03-18-2006, 19:06
My National Guard and Army past:
MoARNG: CO D 38th AVN BN
HQ 880th ENGR BN

Hack
03-18-2006, 19:11
Accidental post on last, wasn't finished typing.
TxARNG: EL PASO, C BATT, (don't remember entire unit designator), worked signal with the big Howitzer battery

Active Army:
502nd PSC, 2AD Ft. Hood, TX.

Now serving with the US Department of Justice/Federal Bureau of Prisons as a Federal Correctional Officer.

geek4life
03-21-2006, 22:08
GSC 19th Special Forces(airborne).

I'm still in.

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
03-21-2006, 23:54
oops, double tap.

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
03-21-2006, 23:59
Served from '96 - '02. Did a (very) quick stint in Division and then on to 514th Sig Co. (LRE) for the rest of my Airborne career. I was then reclassed to inflight missile repair but failed out of schools so then I became a space shuttle door gunner. ;f

tim43
03-25-2006, 16:43
Regular Army, 2 June 1965 to 31 August 1992.

AirCav
03-25-2006, 16:51
Originally posted by tim43
Regular Army, 2 June 1965 to 31 August 1992. 27 years! Good grief, man, congratulations and thank you!

I hope that you are enjoying a well deserved retirement. :patriot:

BRAVHART
03-30-2006, 03:56
I`m in. Thats all you need to know. :)

JGinzo
03-30-2006, 05:45
Thanks for serving!

skyflyer
04-01-2006, 18:28
hotrod 26

when was you with 32 sig?

i spent 83-85 there in c company as a 63b

Coastietech
04-01-2006, 18:46
Originally posted by BRAVHART
I`m in. Thats all you need to know. :)

Oh so secretive!! You must be one of those secret squirrel REMF's. I love all the mystery people. J/K:supergrin: :supergrin:

hotrod26
04-01-2006, 20:42
I was 1SG of HHC 32nd Sig from 91 to 92.

BRAVHART
04-03-2006, 14:34
Originally posted by Coastietech
Oh so secretive!! You must be one of those secret squirrel REMF's. I love all the mystery people. J/K:supergrin: :supergrin:

LOL, My mom always said if i didnt have anything good to say dont say anything at all. I`m in the army and a fuggin hate every piece of it. Except enlisted soldiers.

Not secretive just no nice way to say it.

Coastietech
04-03-2006, 14:36
Originally posted by BRAVHART
LOL, My mom always said if i didnt have anything good to say dont say anything at all. I`m in the army and a fuggin hate every piece of it. Except enlisted soldiers.

Not secretive just no nice way to say it.

You may hate it now but when you get out you will miss every part of it and you will wish you were back in. Atleast that was how it was for me. Hope everything works out for you.

BRAVHART
04-03-2006, 19:24
Originally posted by Coastietech
You may hate it now but when you get out you will miss every part of it and you will wish you were back in. Atleast that was how it was for me. Hope everything works out for you.

I doubt it. I have had a horrible 6 years. Ill be out Aug 30th. It cant come soon enough. Funny, Everyone says I`m a great soldier but I hate the military soo bad.

JGinzo
04-03-2006, 20:40
Until I left. I may be risking being called a BS'er but I do miss it sometimes.

CHCB
04-04-2006, 05:12
Entered active duty 11B in August 1977, still in.


1/75 78-80
1/509 ABCT, Vicenza 80-83
C/509 PFDR, Rucker 83-85
Infantry School (IOBC trainer) 85-87
143 TRANSCOM (Reserves) 87-89
1-18 IN 90-94
Soldier Support Center 94-96
369 AG BN 96-97
Grad school (fully funded, you gotta love it!) 97-99
USMA instructor 99-02
369 AG BN 02-04
Soldier Support Institute 04-05
USMTM Saudi Arabia 05-today

Guys, I gotta start thinking about what I want to do when I grow up!

JesseCuster
04-20-2006, 06:01
Originally posted by BRAVHART
LOL, My mom always said if i didnt have anything good to say dont say anything at all. I`m in the army and a fuggin hate every piece of it. Except enlisted soldiers.

Not secretive just no nice way to say it.

I'm kinda confused here, and I'm hoping you can clear my head. You say you're in the army, but I thought you were a cop? I remember a thread about your accident in a patrol car. In your profile it says you're a student, and ex-military.

BRAVHART
04-20-2006, 14:32
Originally posted by JesseCuster
I'm kinda confused here, and I'm hoping you can clear my head. You say you're in the army, but I thought you were a cop? I remember a thread about your accident in a patrol car. In your profile it says you're a student, and ex-military.


Your right. I have been a cop for about 8 months now. I have been active guard as an MP in the 2175th MP Co. Been pretty much full time since I joined in 2000. Did my time in Iraq. I now concider myself ex-military because one I hate it and 2 because Aug 30th Ill be out for good. I`m just finishing my time. I havent had a chance to finish my degree with all the BS deployments so I`m currently a student at drury college now.

The Ex-military is more of an optimistic statment and silent protest for how much I hate the military. I always say; NO! I`m not in the military I`m a MERC that just happend to be getting paid by the US military right now.

Hope this clears it up. I guess I should have said this before there has to be more folks wondering if I`m full of ****.

AirCav
04-20-2006, 14:45
Originally posted by BRAVHART
Your right. I have been a cop for about 8 months now. I have been active guard as an MP in the 2175th MP Co. Been pretty much full time since I joined in 2000. Did my time in Iraq. I now concider myself ex-military because one I hate it and 2 because Aug 30th Ill be out for good. I`m just finishing my time. I havent had a chance to finish my degree with all the BS deployments so I`m currently a student at drury college now.

The Ex-military is more of an optimistic statment and silent protest for how much I hate the military. I always say; NO! I`m not in the military I`m a MERC that just happend to be getting paid by the US military right now.

Hope this clears it up. I guess I should have said this before there has to be more folks wondering if I`m full of ****.
Thank you for your service. :patriot:

I've been both "Regular Army" active duty and National Guard active duty so I can identify with your pain. I've got a couple years left (damn that break in service!) and I can't wait. I'm about over it. Not so much that I hate the Army, it's more that I'm starting to see that there is a whole bunch of life that I've missed. I want to catch up.

I am sorry that your experience has left you so bitter rather than proud. Do the right thing, though, and soldier until you're done soldiering. (and cashing the checks)

USDefender
04-21-2006, 12:45
UH-60A Crewman (non-flight status) - 7th/159th, Esslingen Kaserne, 1987-'88 (Tail end of the cold war ;))

UH-60A Crewchief (on flight status)- 9th/101st Ft. Campbell, KY '88-'89 (Got an 'early out' - seriously regret not going to 'Desert Shield/Storm')

Live & learn....... Would I do it again? Yes. But I'd do it BETTER!

http://www4.army.mil/yearinphotos/2005/sspadmin/albums/images/lg/98.jpg
*Not me but some poor schmuck like me... ;)

.40 caliber
04-28-2006, 12:48
2003 - present , 88N Ft Eustis/Ft story

Bill73
05-23-2006, 10:24
Guess I'm the old guy. 57FA Bn, 7th Div. Korea mid 50's.