Calling all CATM/SAMTU... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all CATM/SAMTU...

DJ Niner
02-12-2006, 04:02
...where you at, where you been?

Me, retired now.

Was at Keesler, Minot, Eielson.

USMC03Grunt
02-12-2006, 06:55
Who were you with in Minot, 5th Bomb wing or 91st Space wing? My wife used to work contracting for the 5th then went to work for the wing king as protocal for a year before getting her commission. When she did that, I signed up last year and have been working for the 919th Special Operations Wing at Duke Field at Eglin AFB.

MrMurphy
02-12-2006, 11:32
Give me about 2 years and I'm crosstraining over if I can. :)

DJ Niner
02-13-2006, 01:33
Originally posted by USMC03Grunt
Who were you with in Minot, 5th Bomb wing or 91st Space wing? ... Back then the 91st was a Missile Wing ('84-'91). However, I used to do weapon inspections at the 5th Bomb Wing command post every now and then, so if she was there around those years, I was probably in the area.

Good ol', Minot. Why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!

The range was out in the corner of the base between the dump, the horse stables, and the sewage lagoons, and I used to tell folks that's where us range folks stood on the base's priority list, too. Those priorities sure changed fast when we started sending folks to the Gulf War, though... :)

speedgun1
02-14-2006, 04:51
[Good ol', Minot. Why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!

The range was out in the corner of the base between the dump, the horse stables, and the sewage lagoons, and I used to tell folks that's where us range folks stood on the base's priority list, too. Those priorities sure changed fast when we started sending folks to the Gulf War, though... :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I remember it well. Speant many days out in the cold for quals (857/91 MSS, TF #2) 1989-1992. We used the back gate as a shortcut in from the field when working "Up North". We always thought you CATM guys had the life!

USMC03Grunt
02-14-2006, 05:47
Yeah but there's a lot of misconceptions about CATM from the cop squadrons. Most of the time a lot of them think we only train the cops and don't realize that we have to train the entire wing...including the medical squadron;g (oh yeah, that'st just loads of fun there;Q ) but in reality we bust our butts. In my unit for example, our report in time for the rest of the squadron is 0730 during our UTA. However, we have to be at the range at 0700 to get everything set up, open he armoury an start work on the 710s and all the other paperwork as well. Not that I mind it I guess, lock me up in the armoury with all the weapons, inventory the training ammunition and I don't mind it too bad. Beats sitting around the squadron's team rooms all day watching more safety training videos!;Q

speedgun1
02-14-2006, 06:32
Well, back in the day when I was at MAFB as a young enlisted troop, we had several CATM folks living in the SP dorms. Besides the downside of doing the required annuals and admin, etc. They were regularly off early or had option days where they get off at noon, go to the gym, etc. They were also non-exercise slated (for the most part). I had a good friend who was CATM while there, he would always give us crap about the cops doing 12 hr shifts, missile field tours, etc. I am sure his job had its down side too...but he rarely put in the long hrs as I recall. He did keep the beer cold for us though! :cool:

Glockster35
02-14-2006, 06:54
I am Security Forces/CATM SEI holder. I didn't re-train in until I was a SSgt, back several years ago. Once I made TSgt, I went back to flight. What a waste of training, once I learned the job, I was back on flight. I miss portions of CATM, but I don't miss teaching the classes...one can only deal with stupid people day in and day out for so long before it wears you down.

And I agree, cops have no clue what CATM is all about, from the top leadership in the Air Force, all the way down to the AB just arriving. They will be the downfall of CATM!

Instructor25
02-14-2006, 18:44
Lackland CATM checking in. Nothing like having 300 plus students a day. I was also stationed at hill, and had four wonderful trips to the desert

DJ Niner
02-14-2006, 23:33
speedgun1, what you said about the lack of long hours is generally true. But after you spent 3-4 hours at the end of a concrete pipe on the 10-meter M60 range, nearly even with the flash supressor, letting the muzzle-blast slap you silly, it sure FELT like you'd put in 12 hours. I remember blowing gray/black crap out of my runny nose for hours after M60 range days, and it took at least a day to get the burning gunpowder taste out of the back of your throat. Same thing for double-class rifle/pistol days (usually the SPC course), but I can't whine about that too much or Instructor25 from Lackland will make fun of me. ;f We only ran about 40-60 folks, max, through the Minot range on a busy day; they do more than that, before lunch, EVERY day at Lackland.

Instructor25, I knew a few guys who ended up at Lackland, and their stories always made me thankful that it never happened to me. Between the politics and getting stuck doing a single small part of a single course of fire, for months/years on end, I can't believe more CATM folks don't go AWOL from there. I do know several who volunteered for some pretty sucky assignments simply to get-out-of-Dodge.

speedgun1
02-15-2006, 01:56
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJ Niner
[B]speedgun1, what you said about the lack of long hours is generally true. But after you spent 3-4 hours at the end of a concrete pipe on the 10-meter M60 range, nearly even with the flash supressor, letting the muzzle-blast slap you silly, it sure FELT like you'd put in 12 hours. I remember blowing gray/black crap out of my runny nose for hours after M60 range days, and it took at least a day to get the burning gunpowder taste out of the back of your throat. Same thing for double-class rifle/pistol days (usually the SPC course)

I hear you. Did many a trip to the MAFB Range for the 60 course and others. I really did envy you guys and had many times wished I went CATM while I was there. Got my wish after I got out though...been an LE firearms/tactics instructor, rangemaster and armorer for the last 5 years. Enjoyed almost all of it too...except for getting the occasional line of totally unsafe people that I had to ride herd over!

Speedgun ;c

DJ Niner
02-16-2006, 02:52
Yup; BTDT, more than a few times.

I have the first Beretta-fired 9mm slug they dug out of a clearing barrel at Minot. Some people just don't process info very well...

Joey
02-16-2006, 12:13
Originally posted by DJ Niner
I have the first Beretta-fired 9mm slug they dug out of a clearing barrel at Minot. Some people just don't process info very well...

That reminds me of the very 1st ever ND in SAC (at Offutt even) of the 9mm Beretta not long after we recieved them.

Was not exactly a pretty sight;P ;P

Morris
02-27-2006, 00:15
Started my firearms instructor career as a CATM Trooper with WA ANG. Did two years then transferred into a new TACP unit. When all was said and done, I missed the CATM days. Geez, that was what, sixteen years ago? Wow.

I remember getting bumped early to SrA by teh flight chief so I wouldn't feel lowly. LOL. Remember having a room in billeting and listening to the CCT troopies do their run in the morning past my room. Bastages wouldn't shut the hail up.

Ahh, the memories. Camp Bullis and the barber poles . . .

Seer
08-06-2006, 13:03
Started my career at Nellis and then Fairchild in the early 80's.
I remeber the tunnel at Fiarchild and firing in the snow. At least the m-60 kept us warm. Nellis was a blast lot's of new experiences and weapons with TCAS

DJ Niner
08-07-2006, 00:19
Yup; both at Minot and Eielson, happiness was a toasty spare barrel in mid-winter.

"Barrel change!"

click, clackity-clack, clunk.

"I'll hold that; GET BACK ON THOSE TARGETS, GUNNER!" :supergrin: