Can somebody tell me about chevy trucks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody tell me about chevy trucks?

frank4570
02-12-2006, 09:55
I was at the store the other day and saw a truck that looked about perfect for my purposes. It was a chevy 4x4 shortbed, the guy said it was a 1988. It had 1500 on the side. I am going to plan on getting a truck like this in the future. Can somebody tell me what years were the same as this one. Were there any years or specifics to stay away from? What do the various abbreviations for similar trucks mean.
I had a 67 ford, I currently have a 89 yota. Never had a chevy. The chevy would be big enough and strong enough to do some work,yet not as long as an aircraft carrier. The one I saw really didn't look that much bigger than my toyota. I can't crawl around in the woods looking for firewood as well in a long truck. And my toyota won't pull a horsetrailer.
Thanks.

OUSooner
02-12-2006, 13:55
You didn't mention what engine and tranny it has. Those oleder Chevy trucks are pretty solid and indestructable.

TexasGlock23
02-12-2006, 17:25
I have an 89 chevy 4x4 pm me for questions. It is for sale!

frank4570
02-12-2006, 23:21
Originally posted by OUSooner
You didn't mention what engine and tranny it has. Those oleder Chevy trucks are pretty solid and indestructable.

I think I am looking for a 350 engine.Transmission? Beats me. I don't know a thing about them. I would be able to play with the engine a little to get more performance out of it. I plan to buy a tercel for gas mileage, so the truck could use some gas on the occasions when I did drive it.

frank4570
02-12-2006, 23:21
Originally posted by TexasGlock23
I have an 89 chevy 4x4 pm me for questions. It is for sale!
Pm sent.

BP44
02-13-2006, 03:08
FWIW i had a '89 toyota pickup for a few years and when i decided to run 33" tires i found it to be lacking power so i threw a set of 4.88 gears in the front and rear diff. and it made a world of difference and felt better than before. But a set of gears like that can make highway travel a little slower if you keep your same tire size :)

TexasGlock23
02-13-2006, 11:32
most common tranny is a 700r4 or a 4l60e, yes the 350 is the biggest engine avail. besides the 454ss and a 3/4-1 ton can opt for a 454!

DaisyCutter
02-15-2006, 15:49
Originally posted by OUSooner
Those oleder Chevy trucks are pretty solid and indestructable.

Once you get past the crappy 10-bolt rear end

and...

the IFS or non-reverse cut front Dana-44

and...

the lack of manual locking hubs on most

and...

the 700R4 trannys that last no longer than 50,000 mi

and...

the frame cracks at the steering box

and...

The fact that Fords and Dodges are just simply more rugged.

TexasGlock23
02-15-2006, 17:27
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
Once you get past the crappy 10-bolt rear end

and...

the IFS or non-reverse cut front Dana-44

and...

the lack of manual locking hubs on most

and...

the 700R4 trannys that last no longer than 50,000 mi

and...

the frame cracks at the steering box

and...

The fact that Fords and Dodges are just simply more rugged.

All an opinion. My tranny had 190,000+ before rebuilding!!! And it is 4x4. NO frame cracks! I'll give you the IFS! It is a ****ty design, but when done right it rides better than most trucks I have drove! Especially when you invest in Bilstein 5150's. And you can convert to manual locking hubs if you wanted to, but why? I have yet to have a problem with the auto's. Nor has any one on www.fullsizechevy.com And my Chevy personally has out lasted every Ford and Dodge they it has been around. Not to claim that chevy rules, bc lets face it. Every truck has its advantages and disadvantages. The only way I would buy a Ford or Dodge is for the desiel. But the new Duramax and VortecMax are some serious machines! For an '89 it still purs! It is all in who owns it. My truck has been well taking care of. The only thing it needs really is an alignment and new bushings and ball joints up front. They are still factory. And really not in bad shape. But polyurethanes would be nice.;z

DaisyCutter
02-15-2006, 20:04
Originally posted by TexasGlock23
All an opinion. My tranny had 190,000+ before rebuilding!!! And it is 4x4. NO frame cracks! I'll give you the IFS! It is a ****ty design, but when done right it rides better than most trucks I have drove! Especially when you invest in Bilstein 5150's. And you can convert to manual locking hubs if you wanted to, but why? I have yet to have a problem with the auto's. Nor has any one on www.fullsizechevy.com And my Chevy personally has out lasted every Ford and Dodge they it has been around. Not to claim that chevy rules, bc lets face it. Every truck has its advantages and disadvantages. The only way I would buy a Ford or Dodge is for the desiel. But the new Duramax and VortecMax are some serious machines! For an '89 it still purs! It is all in who owns it. My truck has been well taking care of. The only thing it needs really is an alignment and new bushings and ball joints up front. They are still factory. And really not in bad shape. But polyurethanes would be nice.;z

And you say my post was all opinion? LOL!

Ford 9" > Chevy 10-bolt

100% FACT.

TexasGlock23
02-15-2006, 20:24
Yet I never remember saying anything about Chevy's rearend being superior. And you know that there is a 14 bolt right? I think you may not have known that, Master of the Universe!;a Hey buy a Ford and love it! To each their own. But know what you are talking about!:soap:

DaisyCutter
02-15-2006, 20:44
Show me a Chevy 1500 (like the topic starter specified) that has a factory 14-bolt rear.

How come Chevy never reverse-cut their front Dana-44s? <1988

Or put manual locking hubs on most of their rigs? <1988

FWIW, my truck is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4, with AAM axles... and the title is clear.

TexasGlock23
02-15-2006, 21:35
Well Im almost certain you could opt for a 12 bolt in a half ton and a 14 bolt for 3/4 and 1 ton. Or you could just swap very very easily. And im not 100% sure but I think around 95 you could get a 14 in a half. I will do some research. And for the last two questions you should call GM for that one! I don't work or design for them, so I don't know. A better question is why they didn't give up on the IFS yet for 4x4? But you can also do a bad ass SAS and have one of the strongest off road rigs. Go to the website posted above and search for SAS(solid axle swap), SFA(solid front axle)

TexasGlock23
02-15-2006, 21:37
here you go...http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/SAS.html

DaisyCutter
02-16-2006, 16:26
My Dodge truck came from the factory with a solid front axle, so the swap ain't needed.

Chevy never put the corporate 14-bolt in a half-ton.

When looking at old (pre '88) 4x4 Chevy trucks, take a gander at where the front driveshaft should be... more than half the time it's missing. The reason is because the front axle or transfer case is fouled-up and the owner decided to remove the front driveshaft instead of fixing the problem.

Rarely to you ever encounter a Ford or Dodge of the same vintage missing it's front driveshaft.

TexasGlock23
02-16-2006, 18:02
Once again you need to learn to read before posting. Reading is your friend! I did not say there was a 14 bolt in a half ton! And I have never heard of or seen what you are talking about, and if there was a problem like you say, then it was up to the owner to fix not any one else. Every person I know would have fixed it. I sell parts all day long and I sell more Dodge and Ford parts by far, especially on all the 95 and up trucks. I have customers comming in with 97 and 98 Fords needing all sorts of things that I have yet to replace on mine. Hell, I still have the factory bushings and ball joints that are just now needing replacement. So like I said, to each their own. I personally wouldn't drive a new Dodge, they have had alot of transmission problems and driveshaft problems! A buddy's driveshaft fell out of his 04 Ram, and had tranny problems. My moms had tranny problems also. Im sure they may have been lemons. BUT there is a regular at my store that swears by Dodge, he has had 3 of the newest body style Dodge trucks and everyone had to have tranny service before 50,000 miles! So take it how you want. Not downing Ford or Dodge. I love both of thier diesels, until recently I would have only went to Ford or Dodge for one. Chevy finally got it right this time around though. OH and about they swap, I am not a moron. I know YOUR truck has one. I was adding that for the others who may not have known that they swap can be done for serious off roaders. Show me some pics of the fouled-up pre88's please.