What? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What?


gruntmedik
02-12-2006, 13:31
What led you ladies to an interest in firearms? Was it protection, recreation, profession? My wife used to shoot in her younger (before me) days, but since kids, she has no interest, but we are making progress^5

April
02-12-2006, 13:59
My paternal grandfather was a career police officer. My dad grew up shooting and he taught us to shoot. I actualy can't remember any "pre-shooting" time.

Sometime later in life I got a job as a "propietary police" officer at a large hospital. Fancy way of saying rent-a-cop w/ a special police commission. Of course this job included qualifying with and carrying a sidearm. Stainless S&W 686 4" w/ custom trigger loaded up with Federal 158GR Hydra-Shoks. Man that was nice gun.

When hubby and I first met.. our 1st date was to the local <s>fun</s> gun show and our 2nd was to a local indoor range. (Both my idea)

Got a pistol my 1st Mother's Day (SW99 .40S&W). Got another here recently for our 4th anniversary (his and hers G19 and G26). Also have a Mossy 500 12ga, a 1971 Winchester 94 30-30, a 1942 Ithica LeFever Nitro Special 16ga and Red Ryder 50th Anniversary BB Gun. ;f

Mrs. VR
02-12-2006, 14:01
Great question! I can't honestly point to one thing. I guess I've always been sort of interested, I remember my dad keeping a rifle in his closet when I was a kid, but he never went shooting. I grew up in an EXTREMELY liberal part of the country, and NO ONE I knew was into shooting AT ALL. In college, I dated a guy from a very RURAL area of the state. It was a way of life there, and he took me shooting for the first time...in his parents yard, which was the woods. ;e


That was the ONLY time I'd been shooting before I met VR, who, of course was VERY into it, and took me shooting on something like our third date;f After that, I really took an interest in it, and get great enjoyment out of going and sharing a hobby. ;a

I WILL say that having children has only made me MORE interested, as I honestly believe there is NOTHING i wouldn't do to protect them from harm. :)

April
02-12-2006, 14:04
Guess we both sorta wrote books, huh?

Mrs. VR
02-12-2006, 14:06
Originally posted by FF Wife
Guess we both sorta wrote books, huh? well, it was a good question! I think it's kinda funny that we both went on shooting dates with our spouses ;f

April
02-12-2006, 14:08
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
well, it was a good question! I think it's kinda funny that we both went on shooting dates with our spouses ;f

Except in my case it wasn't his idea. What can I say? It's FUN! ;f

Lynn D
02-12-2006, 15:16
...and during the course of our relationship, I decided that I should at least go to the range with him to see what this was like, as it seemed important to him. I figured it might help me understand him a bit.

He had previously given me a lot of basic info on how a gun works, and the safety rules, etc. And, darn, if it didn't make sense. So, to the range. He reviewed the safety rules, and showed me how to sight up a revolver. Told me he didn't want to put up a target for me, because he didn't want me to feel bad if I didn't hit it (I'm a type A perfectionist!). Well, I hit it 11 out of 12 times. We broke up a few weeks later, and all I could think of was "I need to learn how...". I called him, and he offered to teach me.

So, I know have a CCW and carry most of the time. Adding to my collection now. I have a .22 target, a 9 mm carry, a G19, and will eventually add a 1911.

And, of course, in all of this, my mother wonders if I'm going to date any of the guys at the range. Ugh!

Lynn

Mrs. VR
02-12-2006, 15:25
Originally posted by Lynn D
.

And, of course, in all of this, my mother wonders if I'm going to date any of the guys at the range. Ugh!

Lynn well? are ya? ;f JUST KIDDING! That's a great story! This is a little embarassing, but i've never gone out and BOUGHT my own gun. We share, and VR "bought me" my g17, but it's not in my name. I think I need to add that to my "todo" list ;f

April
02-12-2006, 15:30
I like hearin' about everybody's "gun" stories.

Lynn -- it's cool that you wanted to learn bad enough to ask your ex to teach you. Lotsa folks woulda just dropped the issue and go about life wondering "if".

Sharon -- go buy a gun. It's rather empowering. ;f

MrsKitty
02-12-2006, 15:38
A neighbor's psychotic boyfriend was getting out of prison.

Mrs. VR
02-12-2006, 16:04
Originally posted by misskitty5077
A neighbor's psychotic boyfriend was getting out of prison. ;P good reason!

gruntmedik
02-12-2006, 16:19
Good stories! I love to hear how people got started, and love even more to introduce/teach new shooters.

Sharon, my wife actually felt the opposite of you after her 1st child--she didn't want guns around, for fear of what may happen. Since we have been together, that has changed. We haven't been able to shhot yet due to childcare issues, but she has atleast asked~woohoo~~woohoo~

Lynn, I'm glad you showed interest enough to follow through with obtaining your CCW^c

April, Kuddos for making great date suggestions;W

gruntmedik
02-12-2006, 16:20
Originally posted by misskitty5077
A neighbor's psychotic boyfriend was getting out of prison.

;P ~hg

Lynn D
02-12-2006, 17:21
I know it's a little strange...still being friends with your ex. We still shoot together at the range. One of the advantages is the guy has a whole "arsenal" of stuff. That's one of the reasons I have been able to try so much stuff already!

He's the one that introduced me to the defensive group I shoot with now. And they're all good people.

And as for dating guys at the range, that'd be nice, but everyone I meet seems to be married. On the plus side, I get to shoot with a whole bunch of really nice guys who are supportive and good resources. Now if I could only get them to understand that we can't always wear holsters the way they do.....


Lynn

rnchick
02-12-2006, 17:32
I'm a new shooter...been shooting handguns for about 2 months now. Purchased my first gun about 3 weeks ago...my beautiful G 19. What got me interested? I was the victim of a violent crime - a home invasion. I was hurt pretty badly. I am fortunate enough to have survived and even more fortunate still to have ID'd the guy. He's behind bars and awaiting trial. I have several LEO friends who told me to call them when I was ready - they are firearm instructorms. So I did...thinking it would be a gun to keep in the house. Well...I now have my CCW and find that the sense of empowerment is amazing. I enjoy going to the range. I am able to release a bunch of pent up anger too. It's a good thing. Maybe I will get the boyfriend interested too...maybe not. It's all good...

Mrs. VR
02-12-2006, 17:49
rnchick, I'm so glad you're here today to tell us about it, I can't say that enough. ;w ~hg

Lynn D
02-12-2006, 18:04
RNChick -

Glad you are here to tell the story.

Lynn
(fellow RN)

Emoore
02-12-2006, 18:07
I grew up on a ranch, and grew up shooting. We ate a lot of wild game growing up, my dad hunted and always carried a pistol. It never occured to me that some people don't have guns. Got my first hunting riffle when I was 8 or 10 and got my first pistol (a .38 special) when I was 14 or so.

MrsKitty
02-12-2006, 19:42
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
;P good reason!

You have no idea..... ;T

gruntmedik
02-12-2006, 19:46
Originally posted by rnchick
I'm a new shooter...been shooting handguns for about 2 months now. Purchased my first gun about 3 weeks ago...my beautiful G 19. What got me interested? I was the victim of a violent crime - a home invasion. I was hurt pretty badly. I am fortunate enough to have survived and even more fortunate still to have ID'd the guy. He's behind bars and awaiting trial. I have several LEO friends who told me to call them when I was ready - they are firearm instructorms. So I did...thinking it would be a gun to keep in the house. Well...I now have my CCW and find that the sense of empowerment is amazing. I enjoy going to the range. I am able to release a bunch of pent up anger too. It's a good thing. Maybe I will get the boyfriend interested too...maybe not. It's all good...

I'm glad you are OK.;w ~hg

TofsLady
02-12-2006, 23:52
When I was growing up, I can't remember a time that there were no guns in the house. No handguns, though. We were poor folks and my dad hunted to put meat on the table and because he loved it.

Dad taught me about gun safety and to shoot a single shot 22 rifle when I was about six.

Then------fast farward a few years------When my husband and I were dating, a great many of our Sunday afternoon dates were spent shooting.

Shooting just always----------WAS!:)

It is so nice to visit this forum and see some activity!

c-mama
02-13-2006, 05:40
My dad always had guns in the house. I grew up in Wisconsin and my dad hunted every year. I ALMOST went with him, but then chickened out at the thought of shooting a deer. :) I never did shoot a gun, though.

I cannot remember when Scott (my hubby) got into guns, it was only about 4-5 years ago (8-10 years into our marriage). It was about 2 years after that that I took an interest and he started bringing me to the range with him.

I love shooting as a sport and the protection I feel I can help offer my family is great. :)

Mrs. VR
02-13-2006, 06:47
Originally posted by TofsLady

It is so nice to visit this forum and see some activity! I agree! I love hearing all these stories!

Mrs. VR
02-13-2006, 06:48
Originally posted by crochetmama


I love shooting as a sport and the protection I feel I can help offer my family is great. :) I feel exactly the same way! ;a

Glockgirl26
02-13-2006, 07:39
I know what if feels like to be victimized. Never again, if I can help it.

Plus, tools of the trade and all that...

rnchick
02-13-2006, 10:39
Thanks everyone for the support. I'm just now getting to a place that I can talk about it. It's kind of weird though that I LIKE going to the range and shooting - it's relaxing in a way. Plus I picture the guys head and blow him away. I think its a healthy way to deal with the trauma. I'm not the best shooter, but I'm also brand new. I guess it gives me a reason to go to the range as much as I can afford. I wish I had a shooting buddy though - a female shooting buddy would be really nice! I will be moving to the Louisville KY around by summer...maybe I will meet someone there!

This is a great forum and a great "club"...I'm glad I found everyone!

Mrs. VR
02-13-2006, 11:40
I think it sounds like a very healthy and reasonable outlet. :)

Jaegergirl
02-13-2006, 11:43
Wow rnchick, that's some story. Glad you're ok.

My gun obsession is my hubby's fault. Several year ago he said he wanted a gun (he's a former Marine and missed going to the range). I surely wasn't anti-gun, but I didn't really grow up around guns so at first I was a little nervous about having it in the house. He got it and I decided I probably should know how to use it just in case I needed to. I actually felt much safer knowing we had a gun. So I started asking questions and that's where it began. He's the one who introduced me to Glock Talk (he's a member but doesn't post here anymore) and I got my first gun for a Mother's Day present 2 years ago. ;a Now I'm hooked. ;f

gruntmedik
02-13-2006, 11:47
Originally posted by rnchick
Thanks everyone for the support. I'm just now getting to a place that I can talk about it. It's kind of weird though that I LIKE going to the range and shooting - it's relaxing in a way. Plus I picture the guys head and blow him away. I think its a healthy way to deal with the trauma. I'm not the best shooter, but I'm also brand new. I guess it gives me a reason to go to the range as much as I can afford. I wish I had a shooting buddy though - a female shooting buddy would be really nice! I will be moving to the Louisville KY around by summer...maybe I will meet someone there!

This is a great forum and a great "club"...I'm glad I found everyone!

rnchick, we just moved from Louisville this past spring--about 15 min away. I still belong to a sportsmans club there. You are welcome to go shoot with my wife (she is also an RN) and I any time.

rnchick
02-13-2006, 14:03
Originally posted by gruntmedik
rnchick, we just moved from Louisville this past spring--about 15 min away. I still belong to a sportsmans club there. You are welcome to go shoot with my wife (she is also an RN) and I any time.

Sounds good - we'll have to do that! I go visit my boyfriend quite a bit, but besides him and a few other friends...I really don't know anyone. It would be nice to know some other people...and to have a shooting "buddy" too1 Cool! We'll hook up via pm some time!

Cat91
02-14-2006, 16:12
I grew up around guns. We're from West Virginia and there were always several around. I learned early so I was never afraid of them. I didn't really learn much about them, tho, til I was in the Army. At the time I was in they were just starting the transition from the M1911A1 to the M9, and I got to carry both as well as the M10 .38 revolver that most of the women MPs carried.

When I came out of the military I was a probation officer, and at that time we were not allowed to carry. The higher-ups thought it was too intimidating to the people under supervision. Carrying a firearm on the job could get you fired until about ten years ago. That didn't stop me-after I had a run-in with a guy under supervision I bought my first new handgun-a first generation Glock 19.

After that, I traded it off first for a Colt Combat Commander, which at the time the whole cocked and locked thing put me off, so I swapped it for a Python. The Python and a Heckler & Koch VP-70Z were my guns after that, along with a .25ACP Beretta Model 21A, for several years. I sold them all in 1998 when I started law school and packed a Romanian Makarov clone in .32ACP, made by RATMIL, from time to time til I started my current job as a state prosecutor.

I did a couple of bad and violent cases, and started getting death threats, and some gang-bangers allegedly put a contract out on me. So I wanted to start carrying again. In 2002 I got my first new gun in about seven years, a Smith & Wesson Model 642, and I hated it-it hurt my hand when firing and had a horrendous trigger pull. I traded it off for a Glock 23, and I've had a real love-hate relationship with those. They're too big for my hand and they hurt-the .40 kicks like a mule. I sold the 23 for a Steyr M9, which I loved. So did my husband. He confiscated my gun ;f , so I had to start all over.

I couldn't find any more Steyrs (to this day I have never seen another M9 for sale-anywhere) so I bought an FN FNP-9, which didn't work in my purse cos of the darn hammer catching on everything. Traded that off for a Smith & Wesson 686 2" revolver, and it was great, but way too heavy and I got serious shoulder aches from it.

Yes, I'm finicky as hell. The search for The Perfect Self-Defense Device continued. The 686 got swapped for two Colt Detective Specials after about four months. I still have one of those-it is at Colt getting fixed. The other one got traded for another Glock 23, for various and stupid reasons, and after eight months with the Glock I sold it again and last month I got a Colt Government Model, series 70 reissue, which is EXCELLENT. But too darn heavy to carry in the purse. After three days I had "686 shoulder" again. But it rules for IDPA, which I've got into from time to time, and I *love* Colt Government Models. they're like old friends. Steady, reliable, comfortable. Plus, it rules for on the waist carry too. No way we're losing *this* one.

So my Detective Special became the gun-of-the-month again, exhumed from its hidden storage location for service. And then like an idiot I broke it. Having it in the shop for God knows how long left me flat....again. Hubby thought it was just hilarious ;b . He finally solved the problem for at least the next six months ;f by scoring me a Smith & Wesson Model 469, new old stock from 1986, at the last gun show we trolled around. I think I have a good one...finally!

RNChick-hubby is from up your all's way, from Lexington.

Miao, Cat

LadyG23
02-14-2006, 16:57
Lifetime Protective Order.

It didn't stop the ex from harassing, stalking, and threatening me - even after a Judge granted comtempt charges against him - he simply promised to make our children orphans, as I would be six feet under and he would be in jail.

A friend took me to the range and walked me through getting my first two guns. I got hooked on shooting, plus the last time the ex tried to harass me, I was in a place where open carry was permitted, he took one look at the glock on my hip, got back in his truck, and I've not heard from him since! ;f

Jaegergirl
02-14-2006, 18:55
Originally posted by LadyG23
Lifetime Protective Order.

It didn't stop the ex from harassing, stalking, and threatening me - even after a Judge granted comtempt charges against him - he simply promised to make our children orphans, as I would be six feet under and he would be in jail.

A friend took me to the range and walked me through getting my first two guns. I got hooked on shooting, plus the last time the ex tried to harass me, I was in a place where open carry was permitted, he took one look at the glock on my hip, got back in his truck, and I've not heard from him since! ;f

wow, LadyG23. that's pretty scary. your ex sounds a lot like mine. ;P never had to go as far as getting a protection order but there were several times he threatened to kill me if i ever tried to leave him when we were married. not a fun situation to be in at all. i guess that's part of the reason i didn't bauk too much when my current husband said he wanted a gun and is part of the reason i wanted to learn how to use it. after all these years, my ex has moved on i'm sure but you just never know. men with that kind of warped mentality can never be trusted.

LadyG23
02-14-2006, 19:45
It was bad at times - I even moved to the next state over and he tracked me down there too.

But I wish I had had a camera for the look on his face the last time we met - it was (a) the first time he's ever been speechless and (b) the fastest he ever moved in his life!!

~rf

rnchick
02-14-2006, 20:45
Originally posted by Jaegergirl
wow, LadyG23. that's pretty scary. your ex sounds a lot like mine. ;P never had to go as far as getting a protection order but there were several times he threatened to kill me if i ever tried to leave him when we were married. not a fun situation to be in at all. i guess that's part of the reason i didn't bauk too much when my current husband said he wanted a gun and is part of the reason i wanted to learn how to use it. after all these years, my ex has moved on i'm sure but you just never know. men with that kind of warped mentality can never be trusted.

Both your exes sound like horrible people. Glad you took means to protect yourselves...with paper and guns!

Jaegergirl
02-15-2006, 05:05
Originally posted by LadyG23
It was bad at times - I even moved to the next state over and he tracked me down there too.

But I wish I had had a camera for the look on his face the last time we met - it was (a) the first time he's ever been speechless and (b) the fastest he ever moved in his life!!

~rf

yeah, i bet the look on his face was classic! guess he realized you weren't messing around! hopefully it will keep him from bothering you. :)

LadyG23
02-15-2006, 05:44
Originally posted by Jaegergirl
yeah, i bet the look on his face was classic! guess he realized you weren't messing around! hopefully it will keep him from bothering you. :)

Well, I recently moved another 7 hours away, so I'm roughly 10 hours from him now. I got tired of looking over my shoulder and wondering when he was going to be stupid again.

Jaegergirl
02-15-2006, 10:15
well i hope moving away helps your situation. having to look over your shoulder all the time is no way to have to live.

i have no idea where my ex is. i know he's not living in this state though, i do know that for certain. and he has no idea where i live thank goodness. i do my best to keep it that way. :)

Glock&KimberLady
02-16-2006, 21:42
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
well? are ya? ;f JUST KIDDING! That's a great story! This is a little embarassing, but i've never gone out and BOUGHT my own gun. We share, and VR "bought me" my g17, but it's not in my name. I think I need to add that to my "todo" list ;f

OMG, I have more pistols than hubby!!!

;a

It's fun going into a gun store and getting .45 ammo...for yourself. ;f

Mrs. VR
02-17-2006, 07:34
Originally posted by Glock&KimberLady
OMG, I have more pistols than hubby!!!

;a

It's fun going into a gun store and getting .45 ammo...for yourself. ;f I'm thinking I'm gonna have to change that sometime this year ;f

rnchick
02-17-2006, 12:43
Funny story that just happened...

I went to Wally World to get some WWB...as well as other things. The BF wants to shoot my G19 this weekend while he's here visiting (he's never shot a handgun before either...this should be fun!). So I tell the dumb-butt behind the counter what I need. He (in typical TN redneck fashion) states "Is this for your man". I said "No, it's for me...I teaching HIM how to shoot this weekend". The look on his face was PRICELESS!!!!!! He shut up real quick and was "yes ma'am, no ma'am" the rest of the transaction.

Then I realized that he thought I was carrying too. I wasn't because I haven't found a holster that I like...and I haven't saved up $$$ fo the holster purse that I want. But I had my cell phone hooked onto my pants and my sweatshirt over top, so it kind of looked like a gun...sort of!

It was freaking hilarious! I bet I get helped a lot faster next time too!!!'m

Mrs. VR
02-17-2006, 14:34
I can not IMAGINE a clerk up this way asking if the ammo was "for my man" ;P


Good on ya! ;f

rnchick
02-17-2006, 15:12
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
I can not IMAGINE a clerk up this way asking if the ammo was "for my man" ;P


Good on ya! ;f

Yeah, this is redneck USA...you will get a lot of that, unless you are at the range. Then you might get a little bit of that. There most of the guys know most of the women who shoot there...and if they come up to you its usually in a polite fashion and to "talk shop" or give you a pointer if you look like a new shooter. They mean no harm. Every once in awhile you will get a "macho man" and the range pros put a stop to that REAL quick. I had an incident the other day where a jerk was trying to hit on me and ask me out...one of the range pros told this jerk "You might not want to do that - her BF will be here any minute and he's 6'7" and a Kung Fu pro". The jerk went back to shooting. My BF wasn't coming...but the rest is true.

Vic303
02-17-2006, 15:34
Originally posted by gruntmedik
What led you ladies to an interest in firearms? Was it protection, recreation, profession? My wife used to shoot in her younger (before me) days, but since kids, she has no interest, but we are making progress^5 Don't laugh, but I was born this way. I have loved firearms for as long as I can remember. Even as a little girl, I used to get a treat & stay up late with Dad if there was a WWII movie on late.

I'm wierd that way, but my husband loves me for it.

FoxyC
02-19-2006, 12:26
Originally posted by rnchick
I wish I had a shooting buddy though - a female shooting buddy would be really nice! I will be moving to the Louisville KY around by summer...maybe I will meet someone there!


My husband works 2nd shift so when I go to the range I'm usually by self. PM me when you get settled in the 'ville. There are a couple matches during the week at both indoor ranges.

Oh, and I got started mostly because of my husband however, I grew up with guns in the house, my Dad always had one next to the front door on top of the grandfather clock, one in the bedroom in the nightstand, one in each truck under the seat, etc.... Austen (pancho12) bought my 1st gun at our 1st gun show. We weren't married then so he still had money :) Been shooting and GTing it ever since.


Oh and I hope my sig line link works.

LadyG23
02-19-2006, 13:13
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
I can not IMAGINE a clerk up this way asking if the ammo was "for my man" ;P

I shot at one Md range and was asked by one of the male shooters "are you going to shoot that great big gun?" (It was only a .357 pistol!)

If looks could freeze . . . he might be thawed out by now.

Mrs. VR
02-19-2006, 14:18
Originally posted by Vic303
Don't laugh, but I was born this way. I have loved firearms for as long as I can remember. Even as a little girl, I used to get a treat & stay up late with Dad if there was a WWII movie on late.

I'm wierd that way, but my husband loves me for it. that's such a sweet memory to have, Vic. :)

Alan Antopol
02-19-2006, 15:30
Originally posted by rnchick
:snip: "You might not want to do that - her BF will be here any minute and he's 6'7" and a Kung Fu pro" :snip:


rnchick,


What flavor Kung Fu, please?

Thanks Alan

rnchick
02-19-2006, 17:05
Originally posted by FoxyC
My husband works 2nd shift so when I go to the range I'm usually by self. PM me when you get settled in the 'ville. There are a couple matches during the week at both indoor ranges.

Oh and I hope my sig line link works.

Thanks FoxyC - I will do! and the sig looks great!

rnchick
02-19-2006, 17:08
Originally posted by Alan Antopol
rnchick,


What favor Kung Fu, please?

Thanks Alan

I had to ask him actually...shows how much I know about kung fu!!! He says Shaolin. Probably will mean a lot more to you!

And he did pretty good shooting for his 1st time out...hit the paper and everything! Doesn't particularly care for it, but we both feel safe that he knows the basics. At least I won't have to worry about him "adopting" my G19!!!

Alan Antopol
02-20-2006, 08:52
Originally posted by rnchick
I had to ask him actually...shows how much I know about kung fu!!! He says Shaolin. Probably will mean a lot more to you!

And he did pretty good shooting for his 1st time out...hit the paper and everything! Doesn't particularly care for it, but we both feel safe that he knows the basics. At least I won't have to worry about him "adopting" my G19!!!

rnchick,


Thanks, it does. Thanks also for disabusing me of a stereotype. Figured in Tennessee, that just about every guy would have done some shooting.

Alan

rnchick
02-20-2006, 09:27
Originally posted by Alan Antopol
rnchick,


Thanks, it does. Thanks also for disabusing me of a stereotype. Figured in Tennessee, that just about every guy would have done some shooting.

Alan

Well, he lives in KY actually. This long distance thing is about to kill us! But I'm sure the old adage of what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger will hold true. He had shot a rifle a couple times as a kid - didn't really care for it then. He's more into "sharp pointy things" than guns. He's also a musician, love and peace type person (and kung fu...a real archtype of opposing viewpoints - as am I). But as responsible adults with a handgun in the house, we both felt it was important for him to know the basic handgun safety items. Now I am not an instructor, and he WILL be taking a basic handgun safety class from a friend of mine - but that will be a few months from now. So I showed him the bare basics in the meantime. He's a good student (I'm a crappy teacher), but the most important thing is that he shot it, hit the paper...and then handed it back to me! I am kidding, but he does have a lot of respect for it and I think has a lot of respect for me and my shooting abilities (such as they are).

Will he go to the range with me every time and shoot - more than likely not. He didn't like the noise, the adrenaline, most everything about it. But he knows what to do if I hand it to him and he can hit a piece of paper. He still prefers hand to hand combat, or using knives - as long as the bad guy stops...I'm ok with that I guess! He's 6'7" 200 lbs! I'm 5'6" 120 lbs.

But a good, educational time was had by all...

Mrs. VR
02-20-2006, 10:46
rnchick, that is just AWESOME! Must have felt really good too, to share your knowledge. ;a

Lynn D
02-20-2006, 13:20
RNChick -

So cool of you to be teaching someone else, especially a loved one. And so very cool, that while you both have your own preferences for self-defense, that you both accept and respect the choices you each have made. Sounds like y'all got a good thing going!

As I've never done the long distance thing (let alone short distance), I can only wish you luck with it. I expect that things will work out and you too will find a "together" place.

Best of luck.


Lynn

BlueJeans
02-20-2006, 13:31
I am also a new shooter. Never even held a gun before I meet CRider. He took me out with his Glock and we had fun but was very scary to me. We went a few months back, again with his Glock and I shot one round and was done with it. Was still not feeling comfortable. We went this last weekend with his Sig. We had a blast. I grew up in a very Democratic/Liberal family where guns were bad and only thugs carried them. The first time I held one I thought I was gonna die. My hands shook for about an hour. Chris has had me hold the Glock and the Sig and got to hold some others at the gun shop and I am starting to feel much more comfortable with it. I think the Sig grip feels much better to me and made a big differece. I am really liking it though and can not wait to get back out and shoot it again.

Mrs. VR
02-20-2006, 16:36
Michelle, I think I remember way back when, Chris posting about getting you interested in shooting! Im so glad you've stuck with it and are enjoying it! ~hg


BTW- are we gonna see you guys in July?

soldier615
02-20-2006, 19:22
Mrs. soldier here again,

Let's see, my dad is a career police officer so I grew up with guns in the house and dad always handling or cleaning guns. But we girls were never allowed to touch them and he never taught us to shoot them.

Fast forward to when I met soldier615. We were hanging out talking about things we always wanted to do before we died. I said that I always wanted to learn to shoot a gun. I'd always been fasinated by guns I guess. Well, soldier615 just took this idea and RAN with it! Being a former soldier and growing up with guns, he just could'nt wait to teach me to shoot. Seems his ex-wife was anti-gun and wouldn't let him have any in the house. Anyways, next week we have a .357 revolver and he begins to teach me. He showed me all about safety and proper handling and made me practice for 2 weeks before he would even buy ammo for it!

Now, I own more handguns than he does and I carry daily. I too agree that shooting is fun and empowering! BTW Sharon -- buy yourself your own gun -- it's a GREAT feeling!

Glock&KimberLady
02-23-2006, 11:47
Originally posted by LadyG23
I shot at one Md range and was asked by one of the male shooters "are you going to shoot that great big gun?" (It was only a .357 pistol!)

If looks could freeze . . . he might be thawed out by now.

I used to constantly get guys (at the indoor range, down in Cali) who would come up and try to "help" me shoot my .45...before they ever saw me shoot!

One day there was a guy who just persisted and persisted. . Even after seeing me shoot (and I'm pretty good, if I say so myself), he kept commenting on how I could "fix" my stance (I'm a Weaver proponent, he liked isosceles sp?), how I should shoot with both eyes open (I can't, sorry) and so forth.

He finally shut up when I brought out the .45-70. ;N

But it was constant. There were guys that wanted to teach me to shoot after seeing me come in, unload my gear, and pull my Kimber off my hip, which in Cali is a big deal, since they usually don't issue CCWs in SoCal. The range guys were cool with me packing into the range, but anytime someone saw me come in there, they had to show me how big their balls were and how well they could shoot.

Nothing more irritating than some jackass with a .380 peppering paper and walls and target hanger strut over to you and "instruct" you as to the proper method of shooting.

*huff huff pant pant* :soap:

Now I shoot at my own range...in my backyard. And hubby knows better than to "teach" me...unless I ask for it! ;f

Lynn D
02-23-2006, 17:44
Originally posted by Glock&KimberLady
I used to constantly get guys (at the indoor range, down in Cali) who would come up and try to "help" me shoot my .45...before they ever saw me shoot!



Wow! Makes a point on why sometimes women might not want to get involved.

Fortunately, I haven't had that experience. The range I go to is member only and not staffed. Bring all you own stuff. So, there are lots of times when you are on your own without anyone to bother you. And when there are others, they offer opinions and advice. Some of which I take, and some of which I just listen to. More often than not, other folks are interested in what you are shooting and how you like it and stuff like that. A really classy bunch.

If someone offers to show me "how", I'll put a bunch in COM and then ask, "like that?".

Take care,

Lynn

rnchick
02-23-2006, 17:58
Originally posted by Lynn D
RNChick -

So cool of you to be teaching someone else, especially a loved one. And so very cool, that while you both have your own preferences for self-defense, that you both accept and respect the choices you each have made. Sounds like y'all got a good thing going!

As I've never done the long distance thing (let alone short distance), I can only wish you luck with it. I expect that things will work out and you too will find a "together" place.

Best of luck.


Lynn

Yeah he's a pretty good guy. I think of it this way - he's trained in martial arts, is 6'7" and a big guy - a bad guy is less likely to start stuff with him...and if they do he's more comfortable with hand to hand combat than I am. I'm 5'6" 125 lbs and small boned...a bad guy is more likely to attack me and really hurt me. My best strategy is not to let them get near me. We just have different self-defence needs.

That being said - its only responsible when you have a gun in the house to have all adult members (and kids when they are old enough to start learning about guns...and that totally depends on the individual child in my opinion) to know the basics: the 4 big safety rules, how to clear a gun, how to load the gun, and how to shoot the gun with a degree of proficiency.

I respect his loves for "sharp, pointy things" and he respects my fascination for guns. He's a good sport!

The long distance thing is getting old - we are working on that, but with his 2 small children involved and lots of other issues - it's hard. It will get sorted out in the end. Things are about to get better since his roommate is moving out - so at least I will be able to go up there and stay on my days off! That will make it a lot easier!!

Lynn D
02-23-2006, 19:57
Your philosophy on self defense makes a whole lot of sense. And the fact that you both appreciate each other's needs is even better. And probably complementary, should you ever be in a "bad" situation together.

Sounds like a lot of good things going for the two of you. And the days off thing will probably help, too.

Lynn

Cat91
02-25-2006, 10:05
(Rofl)

I love it when guys at the range get like y'al're talking about :) .

I had my old Detective Special out one day (c'mon, Colt! Send it home!) and my hubby was off doing something else. I was getting ready to fire a bit and noted these two dudes pointing at me and laughing.

I ran the target out fifteen yards and went through a full cylinder and speed reload from my speedloader. Pulled the target back and all six were in the pink, within a handspan. Gotta love that Colt! I flashed a bright, coquettish smile back at my audience, who were standing there open-mouthed. One of them stepped up to me and asked "where'd you learn to shoot like that?!" I responded "I used to be a cop back when we used revolvers all the time."

He walked off, just shaking his head. The moral: NEVER judge a book by its cover.

Miao, Cat

tlish
02-26-2006, 15:40
i first became interested in guns about 8 years ago. i read a book called "all the powerful invisible things" by gretchen legler (great book, by the way). anyway, that book got me really interested in hunting - i just had to do it. my husband had grown up hunting, but hadn't done it for awhile. i told him i must do it. so he went to wal-mart and bought us a couple of single-shot shotguns. we started with squirrel hunting. it was really fun, and i wanted to learn more.

then i read "shooting sports for women" by laurie morrow and steve smith. i then desperately wanted to try trap and skeet.

shortly thereafter, we bought a house in the country. my husband built a backstop for safe practicing. for valentine's day that year, he bought me a walther p22 and made me a valentine's day card with .22 cartridges in the shape of a heart. it was terribly cute - i love that man! i also fell in love with that pistol. then i started shooting his other pistols and rifles. it was so fun! target shooting with a rifle is so meditative to me. i think it's the most quiet and calming thing that i ever do.

after these experiences, i remembered that i really wanted to try shooting skeet. so, i bought myself a beretta 391 20-guage shotgun, and i totally fell in love!

after a little urging from my husband, i decided that i needed to start carrying. so, a couple years ago, i got my concealed carry permit.

now, i love to go to the range and my back yard to target shoot, love to go shoot skeet, and wish i had more time and money to do some serious hunting.

so that's my little novella!
tlish

Lynn D
02-26-2006, 16:44
Originally posted by tlish
now, i love to go to the range and my back yard to target shoot, love to go shoot skeet, and wish i had more time and money to do some serious hunting.

so that's my little novella!
tlish

Way to go! That is SO awesome. I'm thinking you've got all the aspects covered...CCW/hunting/clays/target. What more could a girl want?:)

Lynn

tlish
02-26-2006, 16:54
What more could a girl want?

money and time!!!;)

by the way, lynn, are those danskos you're wearing?

rnchick
02-26-2006, 17:29
Originally posted by tlish
money and time!!!;)



Way to go! My sentiments exactly...now if we could figure out a way to get paid to spend time on our "hobby" we would be all set!!!

Lynn D
02-26-2006, 20:48
Originally posted by tlish
money and time!!!;)

by the way, lynn, are those danskos you're wearing?

Ayup!

That would be the pair I wear at work. I'm the nurse "with the shiny shoes" to many of my co-workers.

I also have them in steel blue metallic for wear around town.

And, they have striped patent leather ones coming this spring. Anyone see a trend, here????

Lynn;i

Lynn D
02-26-2006, 20:51
Originally posted by tlish
money and time!!!;)



Let's see, how much could I get for all the once-fired 9 mm brass that I don't reload? That would get me some money.

Now time? Hmmm......I could avoid all house work, only work shifts as needed, and marry a rich man who doesn't expect me to work. Oh, was that the alarm???

:joker:

Lynn

scooterthegreat
02-27-2006, 08:53
Hi All - new here. Looked like a good place to make my first post..

I grew up on a farm and can't remember a time that I didn't know about guns.

Recently I have been getting more involved in shooting and hunting. I am a hunter safety instructor, both firearm and bow, and a range officer at a local gun club.

From reading some of these posts, I feel a little spoiled. Other than a few "challenging dads" in hunter safety class and some doinks at Walmart, most of the guys I encounter on the range and at shooting events are just so danged happy to see a women getting involved, they pretty much leave me to myself unless I ask for help.

I am most familiar with rifles and shotguns and just recently become interested in handguns. My first purchase was a Reuger Mark II. Seemed like a great place to get started. I have plans on moving up though.

Lynn D
02-27-2006, 16:40
Originally posted by scooterthegreat

I am most familiar with rifles and shotguns and just recently become interested in handguns. My first purchase was a Reuger Mark II. Seemed like a great place to get started. I have plans on moving up though.

The Ruger Mark II is a good one. That's the first thing I bought, with the bull barrel. I learned to shoot from my ex-BF and he had one that was comfortable to shoot and darned accurate.

Now if I could only see the 10 ring at 25 yards.....


Lynn:)

tlish
02-27-2006, 17:05
Originally posted by Lynn D
Ayup!

That would be the pair I wear at work. I'm the nurse "with the shiny shoes" to many of my co-workers.

I also have them in steel blue metallic for wear around town.

And, they have striped patent leather ones coming this spring. Anyone see a trend, here????

Lynn;i

danskos are my favorite! i have the dull black, maize, and cordovan. i really want some bright red ones and some gray ones, but just haven't made an effort to get them yet. someday, though!


now... how to get paid for shooting.... how can i get a gig as a gun writer?

cheers,
tlish

Lynn D
02-27-2006, 18:02
Originally posted by tlish
danskos are my favorite! i have the dull black, maize, and cordovan. i really want some bright red ones and some gray ones, but just haven't made an effort to get them yet. someday, though!


now... how to get paid for shooting.... how can i get a gig as a gun writer?

cheers,
tlish

I'm waiting for the charcoal gray felt ones to go on sale....My best friend, who wears a 38, modeled the red leopard pattern for me from the demo rack! I've also seen the mary jane in patent...Hmmmm....

Getting paid for gun writing....That should be easy. You need to know who to use and apostrophe and understand the possessive.....
;)

I've often thought about editing the mags, and sending 'em back to the publisher.....Got lots of red pens.

Lynn

tlish
02-27-2006, 20:11
i know what you mean. i'm an english teacher, so it's really hard to resist the draw to the red pen... it calls to me.

Walter45Auto
02-27-2006, 20:52
Originally posted by tlish
.....now... how to get paid for shooting.... how can i get a gig as a gun writer?

cheers,
tlish


I been wondering that one for a while myself. They'd have to edit my articles pretty good because I can't write well for anything, but I wouldn't care. I would SOOOOOO love that job.


;g






;8 ;I

Lynn D
02-27-2006, 21:01
Originally posted by tlish
i know what you mean. i'm an english teacher, so it's really hard to resist the draw to the red pen... it calls to me.

I was trained by old-time typing teachers prior to the advent of word processing, so I know how to proofread. I didn't learn that much grammar until I worked for a man who did not have English as his first language. He wrote many research papers with structural issues. Ugh. Didn't understand my need to edit his run-on paragraphs.

Maybe there can be a women's editting party?????:)

Lynn

rnchick
02-28-2006, 02:05
I have really narrow feet and haven't had much luck with the danskos. I find that Merrell's work better - but they are ugly as sin...though this season's batch has some neon colors - must go shopping!

Anyway, I would love to be a product tester - try all the new holsters, guns, and other "toys" that come out and then write reviews. My 1st degree was in broadcasting & journalism so I can do the writing part as well as deal with the dealine issues (when I want to ;) )

Ok...back to my little dream world...if only sleep would come as easily!

Lynn D
02-28-2006, 04:32
Originally posted by rnchick
I have really narrow feet and haven't had much luck with the danskos. I find that Merrell's work better - but they are ugly as sin...though this season's batch has some neon colors - must go shopping!

Anyway, I would love to be a product tester - try all the new holsters, guns, and other "toys" that come out and then write reviews. My 1st degree was in broadcasting & journalism so I can do the writing part as well as deal with the dealine issues (when I want to ;) )

Ok...back to my little dream world...if only sleep would come as easily!

Don't know if you're aware, but Dansko makes the Professional Narrow. Don't know if it works for ladies with narrow feet, 'cause I tried 'em on (I'm regular width), and they felt fine to me. I don't tend to were Merrell except for casual wear because I'm relatively flat footed, and 8+ hours on my feet without good support makes me a cranky nurse.

As to the sleep, darlin', that's was meds are for. Hope you are getting enough rest and are feeling better.:)

Lynn

LadyG23
02-28-2006, 05:13
I wish someone would proof all the complaints I get. The attys are in such a hurry to make money, that they send out stuff that is going to end up embarassing them.

I had one the other day that listed FIVE active husbands for one wife - she was claiming "Loss of Consortium" from all of them. Considering this is public record, I wonder how she's going to react when she figures out what it says about her. LOL


What are Danskos??

Mrs. VR
02-28-2006, 05:52
I love my Merrells, but I'm not on my feet all the time! I have to wear the closed ones though, cause if I try to wear clogs, the little lip in the back bugs me ~sd darn shame, cause I love how the clogs look.


Anywhoo...it's been really great reading everyone's stories! #wav

tlish
02-28-2006, 16:45
Originally posted by LadyG23
What are Danskos??

the most comfortable shoes ever! check them out... http://www.dansko.com/Home.aspx .

Lynn D
02-28-2006, 17:04
Originally posted by tlish
the most comfortable shoes ever! check them out... http://www.dansko.com/Home.aspx .

These shoes are the ones that folks who work on their feet a lot wear. Docs, nurses, waitresses, cooks, and the like.

I didn't think I could wear 'em because I have fairly low arches, but they're even better than my Birkenstock sport clogs....

Shoes, guns, shoes, guns....which to buy???


Lynn

rnchick
02-28-2006, 18:09
I've tried the narrow ones...I have a AAA width - they aren't narrow enough. I have special arch inserts too for my flat feet. For some reason the Merrells come narrow eough, but I have to special order them in narrow - what don't I have to special order!

But I just got my arch inserts remade though to accomidate "normal" width shoes - maybe I can wear a wider variety now. I will have to try the Danscos again.

And yes you have to balance your shopping expeditions: shoes, guns, ammo, and other accessories

LadyG23
02-28-2006, 18:58
Originally posted by tlish
the most comfortable shoes ever! check them out... http://www.dansko.com/Home.aspx .

How do they compare to Earth Shoes? (I got hooked on them last summer)

They look nice! There are 10 retailers nearby . . . .

LadyG23
02-28-2006, 19:00
Originally posted by Lynn D
Shoes, guns, shoes, guns....which to buy???

Oh that's easy enough. Guns!

I prefer being barefoot! LOL

tlish
02-28-2006, 19:10
Originally posted by LadyG23
How do they compare to Earth Shoes? (I got hooked on them last summer)

They look nice!

i really think they are wonderful for standing for long periods of time. they have great arch support, but feel a little funny at first. then you get hooked! they're definitely not hiking shoes, but great for work.

hmmm... this thread has taken an odd turn!
adios,
tlish

Lynn D
02-28-2006, 23:08
Originally posted by LadyG23
How do they compare to Earth Shoes? (I got hooked on them last summer)

They look nice! There are 10 retailers nearby . . . .

I've only seen pictures of earth shoes, so I can't compare how they feel, but....

Danskos as a rule, have a wedge heel (maybe 2 inches?) and a really wide heel cup. Essentially those shoes with backs feel really loose when you wear them, and this feels sort of wierd. Almost like the shoe may fall off, but it won't. The other thing is that the way the sole is made, you sort of scuff/walk/run. Some people clump in them. They are a bit heavy, but if you are one your feet for a long time, you might appreciate these.

My avatar demonstrates my work shoes (yes, they are patent leather), and these are the "closed back" model.

Lynn

scooterthegreat
03-01-2006, 10:04
Originally posted by LadyG23
Oh that's easy enough. Guns!

I prefer being barefoot! LOL

Agreed!!!!!!

Lynn D
03-01-2006, 10:22
Originally posted by scooterthegreat
Agreed!!!!!!

I'm definitely on that for "around the house". But, ever think about how much stuff gets on hospital floors? Eeeewwwww, gross!

Lynn

scooterthegreat
03-01-2006, 10:31
Originally posted by Lynn D
I'm definitely on that for "around the house". But, ever think about how much stuff gets on hospital floors? Eeeewwwww, gross!

Lynn

I wear shoes in public... most of the time. I have some really great leather slippers. (One pair lined with rubber sole, one pair unlined, double leather sole) Anyway - I do residential real estate appraisals and one spring, I went out on an appointment. Just as I turned into the driveway, I realized that I had forgotton to change into my shoes...

rnchick
03-01-2006, 12:53
Originally posted by Lynn D
I'm definitely on that for "around the house". But, ever think about how much stuff gets on hospital floors? Eeeewwwww, gross!

Lynn

2nd that gross!!! I take my shoes off as soon as I come inside the door and the ydo not go any further inside my house because of the germ/grossness factor!!!

What a weird turn this thread has taken!

Cat91
03-01-2006, 16:31
I need to look at these. Do Earth shoes or Danskos come in a dressy style you can wear with a suit? My job has a pantyhose factor of five.

Miao, Cat

Vic303
03-01-2006, 21:38
Cat, try looking for B0rn shoes (the 'o' has a slash thru it in reality). Comfortable and fairly dressy looking.

Lynn D
03-02-2006, 00:29
Originally posted by Cat91
I need to look at these. Do Earth shoes or Danskos come in a dressy style you can wear with a suit? My job has a pantyhose factor of five.

Miao, Cat

Cat -

Check out the Dansko web site www.dansko.com
You should be able to find work appropriate shoes. They have a small line of dressy shoes that you could check out.

Lynn

LadyG23
03-02-2006, 05:14
I run around barefoot in the house and yard as much as possible. I'll kick off my shoes at work if I'm sitting at my desk for a long time, but put them on to go to other locations.

I'm liking the Dansko styles. I haven't found any really dressy Earth Shoes - they have a few sandles that will go with skirts for casual - but nothing I can wear to work. I have one pair that is a combo between Earth Shoes and Dr. Scholls - those are my favorites for summer.

I'm going to make time this weekend to go try these Danskos on, hopefully I can find something comfy for work. :-)

Cat91
03-02-2006, 17:42
Me too. There are at least two that'll work for me, one of the shoes and one of the boots, and they're sold near where I live.

Miao, Cat

rnchick
03-03-2006, 10:43
I have found this great site that has a ton of shoes (clogs, etc) that has the Earth shoes and a ton more!

www.clogworld.com