New GTI or ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New GTI or ?

berniew
02-12-2006, 15:24
Looking at buying another vehicle right now. If you were looking at a car like the GTi (price and general spec) would you buy it or something else?

Under $25 new

I want decent handling and acceleration

Automatic

Hatch is preferred

OUSooner
02-12-2006, 19:15
That looks like an awesome car! I just read my new issue of car and driver and the Gti beat the new Honda Civic Si in a head to head comparo.

Asha'man
02-12-2006, 20:41
You might find this interesting.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=78107

Brian

bac1023
02-13-2006, 06:04
Originally posted by OUSooner
That looks like an awesome car! I just read my new issue of car and driver and the Gti beat the new Honda Civic Si in a head to head comparo.
I saw that test as well. The GTI looks great. However, I don't think I'd pass up Honda's proven longevity and reliability. Although its been a while since I have owned a Volkswagen, my experiences are that reliability is nowhere near Honda's.

berniew
02-13-2006, 11:18
Originally posted by bac1023
I saw that test as well. The GTI looks great. However, I don't think I'd pass up Honda's proven longevity and reliability. Although its been a while since I have owned a Volkswagen, my experiences are that reliability is nowhere near Honda's.

No automagic or hatch in a new si...

berniew
02-13-2006, 11:25
Originally posted by Asha'man
You might find this interesting.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=78107

Brian

I did. Thanks. I actually like the Audi, the premium is a bit steep though...

spoonhatchcrap
02-13-2006, 12:34
200 hp is actually pretty pathetic considering the displacement plus boost.

epsylum
02-13-2006, 18:25
Originally posted by spoonhatchcrap

Well the torque isn't.

The 1.8T and 2.0T engines are designed for minimal turbo lag, so the turbo isn't very big. It just makes the 4 banger feel like a 6 in a straight line, but handle and get gas milage like a 4.

WIth a little cash they can make some pretty impressive power, at least the 1.8 can. The 2.0T has a pretty high compression ratio for a turbo enigne. The only fix for that is new pistons and that isn't very cheap or easy.

gixxer11
02-14-2006, 06:03
Originally posted by spoonhatchcrap

@ least a VW block will take boost;)

bac1023
02-14-2006, 18:17
Originally posted by berniew
No automagic or hatch in a new si...
I like a good old manuel shift. Every car I have owned had one.

spoonhatchcrap
02-14-2006, 19:18
Originally posted by gixxer11
@ least a VW block will take boost;)

honda b series blocks can handle more than enough boost for a nasty street car. only extreme aplications will require a resleeve of the block. the real problem lies in the tuning of air/fuel ratios and timing. and some people just arent very good at this.

on a side note european cars are considerably more expensive and dont offer as much bang for the buck in stock form. dont take this as my way of saying they are not capable cars. but the gamut of modifications for these cars are effective yet rather expensive compared to domestic and japanese sport compacts. im a honda guy myself and as much as i hate to say it, the srt-4 is by far the best bang for the buck in the new car segment today.

gixxer11
02-15-2006, 05:19
anyhow, I don't know if he has any intentions on modifying the engine on a new car w/warranty. I'd still go with the VW. They look great,IMO, drive very nice, and have some cool features. Plus the resale is quite good. Have you test driven one yet?

Nelybarg
02-15-2006, 05:41
this might push your 25K budget..

http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=IMPREZA

I had a 2002 WRX wagon that rocked. only reason i got rid of it was the wife hated it and it was kinda small for the family car. boy i miss that car. mine was an auto because thats all i could find. while i prefer a manual, this one wasnt bad.

plus side on the subie, its AWD. depending on your location, that might make a big difference in the winter.

berniew
02-15-2006, 17:32
Originally posted by bac1023
I like a good old manuel shift. Every car I have owned had one.

DSG is supposed to be the best of both worlds. The car has a paddle shift on the sterring wheel!

http://www.modernracer.com/history/vwgti20thistory.html

berniew
02-15-2006, 17:34
MN

I saw something about this but didn't realize a wagon was available...

hmmmmm

Originally posted by Nelybarg
this might push your 25K budget..

http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=IMPREZA

I had a 2002 WRX wagon that rocked. only reason i got rid of it was the wife hated it and it was kinda small for the family car. boy i miss that car. mine was an auto because thats all i could find. while i prefer a manual, this one wasnt bad.

plus side on the subie, its AWD. depending on your location, that might make a big difference in the winter.

45acp4me
02-16-2006, 19:02
Given what VW has become in the quality department, I'd never buy one. It's too bad as they are fun cars to drive.

c5367
02-17-2006, 00:29
DSG is supposed to be the best of both worlds. The car has a paddle shift on the sterring wheel!

I test drove a TT with DSG. Granted it was a typical 4 dealer test drive, but I can't say I was impressed. But then again I despise automatics, and would never buy one.

bac1023
02-17-2006, 18:25
Originally posted by c5367
I test drove a TT with DSG. Granted it was a typical 4 dealer test drive, but I can't say I was impressed. But then again I despise automatics, and would never buy one.
+1

berniew
02-17-2006, 18:30
Originally posted by c5367

I have DSG in my Beetle TDI, and I test drove the GTI with DSG. They didn't seem the same to me. I like driving MT but I don't lose any sleep if I can't.

PS I tell the car salesman to hold on....

berniew
02-17-2006, 18:32
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Given what VW has become in the quality department, I'd never buy one. It's too bad as they are fun cars to drive.

So what would you recommend in hatch or wagon in that price range?

berniew
02-17-2006, 18:34
http://www.vwfeatures.com/

for a 'test ride'

;P ;e

45acp4me
02-17-2006, 19:13
So what would you recommend in hatch or wagon in that price range?

Civic Si

It may not be quite as exciting as the VW, but given how poor VW and Audi have become in the quality department, at least you'll get to drive it.

c5367
02-17-2006, 19:21
Civic Si

It may not be quite as exciting as the VW, but given how poor VW and Audi have become in the quality department, at least you'll get to drive it.

How do you figure they're poor quality? I own an 03 GTI. Great car with no problems. Aside from my own experience, I haven't seen any data, empirical or anecdotal, that the quality is suffering.

That said, Hondas in my experience are darn near bulletproof as far as reliability, and they tend to be better values than their European counterparts.

I like the German style, both aesthetically and in driving feel, but the Japanese offer a lot of bang for the buck. It would be a very tough choice. Economically speaking, the Honda is a no brainer, but as far as the subjective element, the GTI takes it.

All in all, unless I saw some hard data on poor reliability, I'd opt for the GTI. No flame intended 45acp4me. We both know how the internet can blow things out of proportion. e.g. "Glocks kaboom all the time!"

c5367
02-17-2006, 19:27
Originally posted by epsylum
Well the torque isn't.

The 1.8T and 2.0T engines are designed for minimal turbo lag, so the turbo isn't very big. It just makes the 4 banger feel like a 6 in a straight line, but handle and get gas milage like a 4.....

I can second that. The power curve is wonderful in the 1.8T's, and the new direct injection 2.0T's are even better. They may only be rated at 200hp, but the way the power is delivered makes it feel like significantly more. Thanks to the boost, there is a wonderful, generous flat torque curve. No matter where you're at in the rpm range, it can make passing power.

Honestly, my GTI was as fun to drive as my G35, despite having just over half the hp. 180 v. @315 (intake +plenum)

45acp4me
02-17-2006, 19:37
Out of the three people I knew that had a Jetta, only one still has one and would buy another.

One had to replace the coil pack every 35,000 miles, it would just fry all the time. It also had tons of surface rust starting around the trim and rockers, complete BS for a six year old car.

The other one had been taken to three stealerships for a check engine light. Slowly more circuits would fail and fuses would pop. After only having the car for four years, he traded it in and bought a Sononta and can actually drive it now.

Made in mexico VW's are crap. The high and mighty toureg shares a reputation as bad as the H2 when it comes to defects and un-scheduled service visits. Other than the Hummer, nearly all American trucks beat it out in reliability.

VW no longer makes good cars, the US does better than the germans right now.

c5367
02-17-2006, 19:43
interesting. I will certainly agree that japanese cars tend to be more reliable, and I would indeed be more worried about reliablity on a VW than a Civic, but from my own experience I would not go so far as to say poor, or even less reliable enough to cause me not to buy one, especially new. Just not as good as a Honda, which in my mind includes virtually every other manufacturer.

I think the GTI's are made in Brazil. At least mine was, but then again that was 03.

berniew
02-17-2006, 21:00
[B]Made in mexico VW's are crap./B]

This particular model is made in Germany for now.

Nelybarg
02-18-2006, 04:46
i've heard the same thing about the VW's. the ones still made in germany are great on reliability and craftsmanship. the ones made elsewhere.... dont bother. i'd love to get my hands on an r32 too bad it doesnt fit into the family plan.

too bad the WRX subie is out of you price range. the 230hp turbo and 200 torque in the wagon make for a zippy car with plenty of room. the awd provides great traction in snow. check http://www.nasioc.com/ for general info on imprezas.

luxone
02-18-2006, 06:42
+1
I had a friend who had an '02 GTI and had numerous problems. I also put alot of faith in Consumer Reports (I know the Japanese are paying them off!;) ) and the Volkswagons always get horrible reliability ratings. I recently bought a Toyota Matrix, and I really like it. I don't think it meets all the specs your looking for, but you should take a look at the Matrix XRS. Very fun car to drive!

berniew
03-02-2006, 19:12
I made my decision

epsylum
03-02-2006, 19:29
Originally posted by luxone
+1
I had a friend who had an '02 GTI and had numerous problems. I also put alot of faith in Consumer Reports (I know the Japanese are paying them off!;) ) and the Volkswagons always get horrible reliability ratings. I recently bought a Toyota Matrix, and I really like it. I don't think it meets all the specs your looking for, but you should take a look at the Matrix XRS. Very fun car to drive!

The Matrix XRS is basically the hatch version of my Corolla XRS. Yes, it is very fun to drive. Especially the 8200 rpm redline and the extra kick when it hits lift.

The handling ain't half bad either ;)

Speaking of which, it's about time for me to go home. I might take the back way tonight. ;f

wolf2223
03-03-2006, 06:19
SRT 4. It is an american made but I never had trouble with dodge products. The car has 230hp and for that price you get racing suspension. It has a ton of aftermark part that could boost the hp to 400hp. It is a great car drive.

scatman
03-04-2006, 22:18
How bout the Subaru Legacy wagon. There's probably still a few 05 laying around that you could purchase for under 25 grand. Plus you get 250 hp and 250 foot lbs of trq.
I'v got the manual 05 limited and can attest that it surely is an STI for grownups.
And if 250 hp isnt enough for ya then there easy and fairly cheap to modify.

Asha'man
03-05-2006, 11:33
I made my decision

And?

Brian

berniew
03-18-2006, 17:57
Originally posted by Asha'man
And?

Brian

I ended up with a pkg 1 GTI, about $400 over invoice.

epsylum
03-18-2006, 20:06
I ended up with a pkg 1 GTI, about $400 over invoice.

Nice.

Love the color.

That dark gray and the white or the black look best IMO.

The red one unfortunately loses the cool GTI red accent because it blends in.