KTM - Yamaha whadda think [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KTM - Yamaha whadda think

Mud
02-14-2006, 22:28
well its time for a new bike my YZ250 has served me well but i want an enduro im thinking Wr450 or ktm 450exc whadda think and why

fnfalman
02-15-2006, 15:49
The KTM dirt dogs are simply the best. I have my name on the new 990 Adventure, whenever it comes in that is.

It uses top notch parts and pieces. The suspension setup is from White Power. You pay boocoo bucks to get WP forks and shocks refitted to your bike.

Naturally the KTM isn't exactly cheap either.

Although you may want to eyeball the new Aprilia dirt bikes as well - SVX and RVX, I think that's what they're called.

epsylum
02-15-2006, 16:31
KTMs are great but as fnfalman said you pay for those nice parts.

IMO it's a budget thing. If you can afford and use the nicer stuff, get the KTM. If you just want a good dirtbike for the money, go the japanese route.

I would wait on the Aprilias and see how well they hold up first. AT least the big 4 and KTM have a proven track record. I am of the mindest that buying the first run of anything is not a very good idea, there are bugs to work out.

DaisyCutter
02-15-2006, 18:38
I think you'll have better speed and stamina by NOT switching to a 30 lb heavier bike, unless you just do casual riding.

BTW, here's some pro/con material between the YZ450/450XC.

KTM = hydraulic clutch

Yam = cheaper replacement parts

KTM = Threaded valve adjusters

Yam = damned shim under bucket valves.

The 450XC should pull stronger then a showroom WR450, which is corked pretty tight.

Mud
02-15-2006, 19:46
Im keeping the YZ for the high speed stuff but i plan to Plate the 4 stroke so i can go more places

DaisyCutter
02-16-2006, 07:38
Also try, www.thumpertalk.com

Rinspeed
03-03-2006, 17:05
I just bought the WR450 and I'm very happy. The KTMs are very nice but would have been at least $800 more than the WR. The 07 WR450 will get the aluminum YZ frame and there's a good chance fuel injection but I couldn't wait. This months Dirt Rider has a shoot out of the e-start 450s. I don't remember the price of the Husky but it was road legal and very sweet. For the money I don't think you can beat the WR. What sucks is with this snow I haven't ridden it yet.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/DCP03673.jpg

DaisyCutter
03-05-2006, 11:00
Rinspeed,

You may want to read about some free/cheap mods that make huge power gains for WRs. This article is for 2003, but it'll give you an idea. I'm pretty sure the throttle-stop and corked exhaust issues are still currently applicable.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/wr450f/2003_04/runright.html

Rinspeed
03-06-2006, 10:32
Thanks for the link. I am aware of the free mods and I've done a ton of research at thumper talk. I am just waiting for my dealer to get the parts in so I can do everything at once. The throttle stop is still an issue but rather than cut the one I have down I just ordered one for a YZ. It's supposed to be 60 degrees here next weekend so I will get it out if I have the jetting done or not. I'll let you all know what I think of it.

RickD
05-17-2006, 19:38
There is definately a philosophical difference between the Japanese engineers vs the Austrian engineers. ;)

I'm looking to get into a KTM (possible the streetable EXC version of the current 250 SX-F) when I get out of skool in a year or so.

KTM is more expensive, but it comes with components that other owners who buy Japanese bikes pay extra for. Polaris purchased a minority chunk of KTM so that might get them into electronic fuel injection sooner than they would have normally. I'm a big EFI fan as Arizona goes from 1,000 to 7,000 feet in a couple hours of riding.

Go to http://www.ktmtalk.com for more info and more opinions than you'd know how to handle.

Rick