daughter in boot camp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : daughter in boot camp

truckstop cop
02-16-2006, 14:31
this is my daugthers third day at boot camp at Parris Island,can someone please tell me what she would be doing,i want to try to keep up with her training(as best as i can). thanks

able1234
02-16-2006, 17:01
She probably is in a waiting/receiving mode. They wait for a complete platoon to arrrive. They also used to wait for a Series to complete (4 platoons) before they get into serious training. Depending on her arrival cycle the start of training may take a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

If so she is getting her basic clothes, learning how to assemble and do some basic marching to the mess hall, make beds and clean her barracks. She may not even have met her actual Drill Instructors yet. She is probably become very proficent in running a floor buffer and polishing brass pipes.

She is in good hands and you have nothing to be concerned with.

truckstop cop
02-17-2006, 08:36
thanks for the info. i went to Navy boot about 23 years ago, so i am not up on the Marine corp stuff, however, i cant recall alot about boot camp anyways. i will ask again in a week or so! thanks again

USMCGrunt
02-17-2006, 11:53
Yup, she should be in "Receiving." She'll be getting all of the medical stuff taken care of, clothing, and the like. You should be getting a letter soon that will sound like a recording. "I arrived and doing fine. blah, blah, blah." They will pretty much tell her what to write word for word to let you know that she made it and is doing good. **** DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH COMMUNICATION FROM HER!!! **** I went through in 1990 and only had mail. I got one phone call with about two weeks left as a reward and then I got to call a day or two before graduation. I wrote my parents quite a bit but no calls. The first few weeks is basic classroom stuff and marching with a LOT of PT thrown in daily. How to wear the uniform, how to march, how to salute, general orders, Marine Corps history ect will all be covered. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions. Good luck to her and to you!

truckstop cop
02-17-2006, 14:36
well my ex got a call from my daughter and i guess she was crying and said that she did not pass her IST and now her grad. date will be changed. I asked a Marine recruiter out here and he said that it was a stress test and she will now go into a conditioning platoon.can anyone elaborate on this ? thanks in advance

gruntmedik
02-17-2006, 19:07
IST is, or atleast was in 85, the Initial Strength Test. It acts as a baseline, so to speak, to see what each recruits' level of fitness is. Those that fall below the minimum standards go to the PCP, or Physical Conditioning Platoon, to bring them up to the standard. Then, depending on how long it takes to get up to speed, they will join a platoon as close to, but not beyond, the training cycle she was in when she was sent to PCP. We did have a recruit re-join our platoon, but he was gone less than a week before he returned. This is how it was "back then"--it may be different now. Hope this helps.

truckstop cop
02-17-2006, 21:17
thanks for the info. she has only been there about 4 days, so i dont think she even started the actual training yet. i hate that she is so upset by this.

dbolden
02-17-2006, 23:28
Send her as much mail as you can. If it is nothing more than rambling, let her hear it. It will make all the difference in the world. Also tell her how proud you are of her and how much the title of Marine will mean to her. By the way, only ramble about posistive stuff.

SemperFi

mitchshrader
02-17-2006, 23:33
lots of letters. not certain she'll GET the cookies. but maybe.

i'm telling ya communication, letters, is the big one. especially about the 5th week or so, 'hump' week.. when they really try hard to find out if you are gonna flake out.. 'proud' is a word it wouldn't hurt her to hear a few times.

you are a lucky man. let her know it. :)

hankfan79
02-17-2006, 23:46
DO NOT SEND COOKIES!! I am the most recent Marine so far to post here. She is in PCP(Physical Conditioning Platoon). She will stay there until she passes the IST. How long is up to her. DO NOT STOP WRITING!! The ONE thing that gets recruits through Basic is the letters!! Write everyday that you can. The mail on PI SUCKS! Your letters may get there or may get there a week late. Happened to me. Just write her and keep her motivated. Tell her to go to church every sunday! This will keep the D.I. out of her face. They do not worship with the recruits. Tell her to study her "Knowledge" book. She must pass that test in order to graduate. Send her plenty of stamps. If you want any more info on what she is doing..I will be glad to help. Just send me your email.
Tell her STAY MOTIVATED RECRUIT!!
SEMPER FI!!

hankfan79
02-17-2006, 23:51
Also. Tell her to ALWAYS ALWAYS Keep her footlocker, rifle and seabag LOCKED!! DO NOT VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING!! I spent 9 months on Paris Island(Because of injury). I know that place like the back of my hand. Another hint...when she makes her rack...see if she can sleep on top of it, so that she doesn't mess it up too bad. Makes for quicker making...*laughing* If you can get any quicker than about 30 secs.

NOTHING IN THIS WORLD WILL MAKE HER FEEL BETTER THAN HOLDING THE E.G.A. IN HER HAND AFTER THE CRUCIBLE. MAN!! I am getting all pumped up just thinking about it.

rktman26
02-24-2006, 19:04
Send her a letter a day. If nothing else, just a few paragraphs, tell her about your day, be supportive and encourage her.
If you want mail from her, then send her envelopes that are stamped and addressed to you. It will save her time.
You cannot underestimate the power of mail from home. I was a recruiter years ago, and sent many young men and women (not enough if you asked my CO) to Parris Island.
If she starts to sound like she wants to quit, don't encourage it. Every year, about 25,000 new Marines are made. She CAN be one of us, as long as she doesn't quit.
After almost sixteen years, and still wearing the uniform, it's still almost the best decisions I've ever made, second only to deciding to marry my wife.
Good luck, and if you have any questions, I'm sure all the other jarheads and I will be happy to help.

truckstop cop
02-25-2006, 10:50
thanks for the response. i just got a letter from her yesterday,she sounds ok from the letter.she did say she could use some encouragment,thanks for the tip on the sase.

dbolden
03-03-2006, 22:43
Well , how is she doing?

dbolden
03-03-2006, 22:53
Well , how is she doing?

truckstop cop
03-04-2006, 12:37
i have received 2 letters from her so far and she sounds like she is doing fine. I have used some of the suggestions from you guys,like write every day ,and i add a positive,motivational saying each time.in her second letter she said she really appreciated all the mail. thanks for asking!

truckstop cop
03-06-2006, 09:14
update---i just got a letter from her and she passed her run,now she can move on to regular training,she is so happy and i am excited for her...

rktman26
03-06-2006, 18:14
Awesome. Now she'll geet "picked up with a platoon, and as long as she continues to do well, she'll graduate with the rest of her platoon.

gruntmedik
03-08-2006, 10:04
Good to hear--keep us posted;? ;?

truckstop cop
03-12-2006, 03:41
i talked to my son who said that my daughter told her mom that the drill instrutors made her a COG,now since this is third hand info. what is a COG?

hankfan79
03-12-2006, 11:04
COG?..That's a new one for me. I am not sure about that one. It make be some kind of new title other than Guide, Squad Leader, or Scribe. Post us a pic so we can put a face with who we are all cheering for.

Ooh-rah

reconvic
03-12-2006, 11:23
It means Corp. of the Guard. Which in boot can't is just like a team leader.
Semper Fi Vic

truckstop cop
03-14-2006, 14:47
thanks for the info..

truckstop cop
03-24-2006, 09:54
update-- I just got another letter from my daughter,she is doing good. She said that she is two weeks away from starting phase 2 and that time is flying by. She was due to go to the gas chamber in a couple days. She also said again that she was a COG(she was not sure if she had told me already).

hankfan79
03-24-2006, 10:06
Tell her not to freak out when she goes into the chamber. It will not kill her. They lead you to belive that. If she can tell her not to shave the night before. It will burn like hell. They made us dry shave our face before we went in. She will do the gas chamber, 3 mile run, and the repel tower all within 3 days. It was called Basic Warrior Training (BWT) when I was there. I wish her the best of luck. You will be so proud of her on graduation day. Keep the letters moving and tell her all her "brothers and sisters" are pulling for her. Once she gets the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor(EGA), she will be part of the family. The Marine Corps lives forever and that means WE live forever.

truckstop cop
04-03-2006, 15:06
UPDATE-- iI got a letter from my daughter ,she is doing great. She said that the sand fleas love her. The SDI took them to the museum,i guess on base. iI have been sending a letter a day as much as possible and in the letters i write a diff. motivational quote, well she said that her whole platoon asks her every night if she got a letter from me so they can read the quote,she said it really helps all of them. she has marine corp martial arts next. She took her swim test but noone said if she passed yet.Well thats about it for now.

gruntmedik
04-07-2006, 22:59
Glad to hear she's doin well:thumbsup:

truckstop cop
04-08-2006, 07:26
thanks!

E4E
04-08-2006, 21:59
Hankfan,

Any worries I have had, at the EGA had gotten easy, have been erased.

Old Breed, new Breed, same Breed!

:supergrin:

Truckstop,

Keep at it.

The Kid is doing well if she hasn't quit on herself.
And obviously she han't.

Saw a couple of Retread rangers, and a Brit Army Dog flat out quit in Boot. It was pathetic when they did.

It's a fine filter, and she is doingwell through her own efforts, and commitment.

She has my Prayers.
E4E

P.S.
Quit worrying.

If she has an ounce of pride to Capitolize upon, the Corps will exploit it to Motivate her.

And she will Graduate, and it seems.... with honors.
All of which she desrves.

Boot Camp is easier for some. I can't help but wonder if it bieng easier for those, cheats them a bit.

Semper Fi!
E4E

dbolden
05-20-2006, 06:15
Well, give us an update. Please.:drillsgt:

truckstop cop
05-20-2006, 11:51
Sorry, well she completed the crucible the week before last and she got a stress fracture in her hip. We have been on pins and needles waiting to see if she was to be dropped or not, well she said she would call yesterday (friday) if she got dropped, well that call never came(no news is good news).I will be leaving tuesday night for PI SC for her graduation on fri.next week.i do believemy daughter will be a U.S. MARINE!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR ASKING.

Ignition
05-20-2006, 13:56
i remember we lost 1 guy in our platoon to a stress fracture in his hip, but another one we didnt loose.

either way they both had alot to deal with. Good to see her stick it out.

what is her MOS?

truckstop cop
05-21-2006, 07:45
ya know i really dont know what her mos will be, i will find out this week.

HuntingGuy
05-26-2006, 14:18
Update, Update! :alien:

truckstop cop
05-29-2006, 15:42
The graduation was awesome. My daughter is now a Marine,she graduated as a PFC.

Dalton Wayne
05-29-2006, 15:46
:eagle: We are all very proud of her :patriot:

Ignition
05-29-2006, 16:03
Congrats.... now to get her into the fleet so she can earn her pay.... jk

Enjoy the time home with her while she is on leave.

Any word yet on the MOS.... i know one of my friends didnt find out till MCT, open contract.... arghhh

truckstop cop
05-30-2006, 09:46
thanks!!! she said her mos was motor t,ishe does not know if that is fixing or driving.once

truckstop cop
05-30-2006, 09:46
sorry,hit the button twice

GregG17
06-28-2006, 14:47
That is really cool congrats...