Any Marine Security Guards? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Marine Security Guards?

Angel Of Death
02-19-2006, 05:09
I see from the "sound off" thread we have at least one! Anyone else get the pleasure of serving at an Embassy or Consulate?

Here's my tour so far:

Bn - graduated 2-04 Feb 20th 2004, sadly ranked 25th/119 graduates

A Co / Detachment Yerevan, Armenia - all of 2004
A Co / Detachment Tibilis, Gerogia - ball suppport 2004
A Co / Detachment Ankara, Turkey - all of 2005
A Co / Detachment Istanbul, Turkey - 6 or 7 weeks, I leave next weekend!
D Co / Detachment La Paz, Bolivia - just waiting for the Consulate General to endorse my orders!

So far I've had the chance to meet our Supreme Allied Comander, and former Commandant, General James L. Jones, the CNO, the head of the CIA, the head of the FBI, and former Dep/SecState Dick Armatage.

I missed out on General Hagee by a week in Ankara on one end and missed out on Condi by a week on the other end. Figures1

Let's here some stories! I know some you have to have some good ones!

Semper fi

Erik

http://www.embassymarine.org/2004/images/MSGStory6.jpg

NewRacerGlock
03-01-2006, 12:26
deleted

Tampico
03-01-2006, 16:52
I thought MSG's were supposed to pull at least one 'garden post'.

All those assignments seem like crapholes.

MonkeyFist
03-08-2006, 22:00
I served a tour as a MSG.
15 months in lovely Khartoum, Sudan. We called it Fort Apache.
This was in 1979/80. The era of, dare I say it, Disco.
We had parties that you wouldn't believe.
TGIF at the Marine House was the place to be.
We had flight crews from Lufthansa bring over kegs of German beer.
All the embassy staffers from all over would show up.

The Marine House used to be spitting distance from the Ugandan embassy. Idi Amin Dada came to an OAS conference once and was handing out T-shirts with his picture on them. They had "Idi Amin Dada, Conquerer of the British Empire" printed on them.

We thought of inviting him over for a beer, he was an enlisted man once, but we came to our senses.

The embassy staff also used to play a game called "bugs".

The point was to sneak into other staffers houses, often at night, and make it to the fridge where you would discover bugs, AKA beer.
Then much yelling of bugs would ensue and the residents of the house would be obliged to get up and kill the bugs in the fridge. Then they would have to go to the next house to find more bugs.

I don't suppose these things would fly today.
That's a shame.

I'll tell you about the 15 months I spent in London next.

MonkeyFist

bayerta
03-15-2006, 09:32
I spent four outstanding years on MSG Duty. (2000-2004)

AmEmbassy Algiers Nov 2000-Nov 2001 Supply
AmEmbassy Quito Nov 2001-May 2003 Training/A/
AmEmbassy Damascus May 2004-Jul 2004 Supply
AmConsulate Jeddah Jul 2004-Oct 2005 A/

I had the time of my life out there.

In all I did 3 SecState visits (1 Albright, 2 Powell) 1 SecTreas (Snow) 1 DirFBI (Freeh) 4 CentComs, 2 DCI's 1 former Pres. (Clinton) and many CoDel's. I now have more coins, pins, keychains and other stuff than I know what to do with.

I drank, partied and !@#$ed like there was no tomorrow, but I am much more calm now. The money was good, the life wa awesome, and the foreign women couldn't get enough of the Marines. I plan to head back out as a DetCmdr in a couple of years.

MR. Fantastic
04-05-2006, 03:35
Originally posted by bayerta
I spent four outstanding years on MSG Duty. (2000-2004)

AmEmbassy Algiers Nov 2000-Nov 2001 Supply
AmEmbassy Quito Nov 2001-May 2003 Training/A/
AmEmbassy Damascus May 2004-Jul 2004 Supply
AmConsulate Jeddah Jul 2004-Oct 2005 A/

I had the time of my life out there.

In all I did 3 SecState visits (1 Albright, 2 Powell) 1 SecTreas (Snow) 1 DirFBI (Freeh) 4 CentComs, 2 DCI's 1 former Pres. (Clinton) and many CoDel's. I now have more coins, pins, keychains and other stuff than I know what to do with.

I drank, partied and !@#$ed like there was no tomorrow, but I am much more calm now. The money was good, the life wa awesome, and the foreign women couldn't get enough of the Marines. I plan to head back out as a DetCmdr in a couple of years.

Did you at least get a chance to go to the big dance? A few guys in my company left us in 29 palms talking all this crap about how they couldn't wait to leave stinki'n 29 stumps for better opertunities in MSG only to watch us a year later on CNN taking Baghdad.

bayerta
04-14-2006, 10:42
Originally posted by MR. Fantastic
Did you at least get a chance to go to the big dance? A few guys in my company left us in 29 palms talking all this crap about how they couldn't wait to leave stinki'n 29 stumps for better opertunities in MSG only to watch us a year later on CNN taking Baghdad.

I missed out initially, but I was able to make OIF 3 in Fallujah and will be heading back that way again in the fall.